No More Bon Voyage Liqure

AZchieffan

this "policy" has made me mad. i had no intentions of smuggling & was more than willing to order from the BV department at their ridonculous prices, (1) didn't want the hassle of smuggling (2)it would be nice to have the bevvies already waiting for us when we boarded. they are making plenty of profit from selling the booze through BV. i still would've ordered at the bar, granted not as much, but i still would've. i just booked our very first cruise and chose carnival because of price, port (charleston), and "convenience" of the BV department. i hope they rescind this crazy policy. who do i contact?

I really do not think this will cut down on smuggling though.. I think it may increase the amount if anything..

To the poster that asked who to contact, there is a thread that has been started with an email address.. I just went to the Carnival website and clicked on contact us and chose the BV department.. ;)

I have never smuggled and until this upcoming trip, I've never ordered liquor through Bon Voyage but this new rule irritates me out of principle. It's ridiculous the lengths big business will go through to maximize their profits. That's why I've always had a problem with those "do-gooders" that lecture folks about the "evils" of smuggling, or not dressing up in the MDR or countless other things. The bottom line is that everyone has a right to enjoy their vacation the way that they want to because the cruiseline, like all other businesses, is all about squeezing as much money from their customers as possible. Are they any more moral than the smugglers? Look at this new policy and the answer is as clear as a rum runner full of vodka!

I don't even drink and this has upset me. On one of our cruises we had a great cabin crawl where we made drinks in our cabin the all the "crawlers". I spent quite a bit of money ordering our "legal" liquour. We had a great time. Since I don't drink and my husband drinks very little, they won't be making money off us in that department any more with this policy. I won't smuggle so I guess our next cabin crawl we will be serving water with our snacks.:(

I send a message via the web-site to the Bon-Voyage department expressing my feelings. I hope they listen to what their customers want.

This policy change really is a kick in the pants. I really enjoy having a drink when getting ready for dinner and it really can be a huge inconvenience to have to go get a drink. I really do hope they are just changing how they sell bottles even if it having to go through room service like they are doing with wine bottle sales.

Just called the Bon Voyage department to order a bottle of Captain, and the representive said as of this morning you may no longer purchase liqure from the bon voyage dept. Very disapointed.:mad:

this is an excellent new policy. Good job Carnival

It all comes down to how much $$$ they can make. Me thinks the logic is, if they are cracking down on the smugglers and fewer decide to go that route, then they stop the BV sales, we are forced to buy drinks at the bars.

I wonder how many will cancel cruises and go to other lines?

I have always smuggled a reasonable amount and bought drinks at the bars but I would have no problem not spending anything on drinks if need be.

It all comes down to how much $$$ they can make. Me thinks the logic is, if they are cracking down on the smugglers and fewer decide to go that route, then they stop the BV sales, we are forced to buy drinks at the bars.

I wonder how many will cancel cruises and go to other lines?

I have always smuggled a reasonable amount and bought drinks at the bars but I would have no problem not spending anything on drinks if need be.

You don't even have to go that far. If all the drinkers were to just buy one less drink a day than they usually would buy that would hurt Carnival's profits immensely! Just one less drink a day people!

NCL did this a while back. When the crowd became very restless and bombarded them with calls, emails, etc., the policy got reinstated.

Go get em!!

Royal Caribbean did away with their policy around 2006/2007 and they didn't reinstate.

You don't even have to go that far. If all the drinkers were to just buy one less drink a day than they usually would buy that would hurt Carnival's profits immensely! Just one less drink a day people!

Very good point! So I can have a couple of drinks and still stick it to them, I like that! :p

Very good point! So I can have a couple of drinks and still stick it to them, I like that! :p

Yeah, DW and I usually partake in the early morning drink specials. We like to get a mimosa (or two) in the morning with breakfast. We won't be doing that on this upcoming trip. And they can have the $1.00 discounted drinks at the Captain's reception. I'm definitely going to drink less on this trip. It's ridiculous to get rid of the Bon Voyage alcohol.

Just my $.02...

I'm fairly new to Carnival (just 2 cruises so far), but it seems to me like there's been an incredible amount of mis-information and random policy changes recently. It's almost as if they (Miami) float something out there to see what the reaction is, then monitor and adjust after the huge backlash. Earlier this year it was the no locking luggage policy that was rescinded. More recently we had the banned items list which has been tweaked numerous times, and now, suddenly, passengers can no longer ordering bottles for their stateroom. Is it just me, or is the decision making all over the map and more of a knee-jerk reaction than a well-thought-out plan?

Good question - I ordered yesterday and was given a confirmation number.
I hope that confirmation goes well with the mixer of your choosing. Don't be surprised when you board and get OBC instead of a nice bottle.

Just my $.02...

I'm fairly new to Carnival (just 2 cruises so far), but it seems to me like there's been an incredible amount of mis-information and random policy changes recently. It's almost as if they (Miami) float something out there to see what the reaction is, then monitor and adjust after the huge backlash. Earlier this year it was the no locking luggage policy that was rescinded. More recently we had the banned items list which has been tweaked numerous times, and now, suddenly, passengers can no longer ordering bottles for their stateroom. Is it just me, or is the decision making all over the map and more of a knee-jerk reaction than a well-thought-out plan?

I have to agree. It's like they throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

Bill

I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

Did you hear that? Bears. Now she's putting the whole station at risk.

I just booked a cruise for July 2011 on the 'Diversity', it's an old old wooden ship.

With the removal of this I wonder how long before they decide to not allow us to bring our own wine or champaigne...I'm sorry if you want wine you have to buy it from us at our unresonable prices...

The whole thing will come crashing down now.. No wine, no champaigne, no non alcoholic drinks.. They are going to take it all away..

Did you hear that? Bears. Now she's putting the whole station at risk.

I just booked a cruise for July 2011 on the 'Diversity', it's an old old wooden ship.

Ron, I would be surprised if the affiliates were concerned about the lack of an old, old wooden ship, but nice try.

My upcoming cruise is on the Ecstanic.

i as well emailed carnival asking them to explain why they stopped the buying on bon voyage. as they are still making a profit and as well as the ones that do buy there are still spending at the bars on the ship. the carnival forum staff are looking into it too to get back and let us know. so it's the waiting game. its been an hour since they posted they would check into it

Archived