I'm back...

it's been a while since i have been on the boards but i'm back...and we even booked a cruise on the freedom of the sea's for march 20,2011...not real happy about the orlando and port canavaral thing but i lost out...i wiould would have rather done the 8 day on the liberty out of miami...but the rest of the group wanted this itinerary...i have been on so may cruises in the last 20 yrs the itinrary menns nothing to me...i just want out of minnesota in the winter time...BIT I HAVE SOME CONCERN ABOUT FLYING TO ORLANDO AND THEN TAKING ABOUT A HOUR BUS RIDE TO PORT CANAVAREL...I'M USED TO FLYING INTO MIAMI OR LAUDERDALE OR SAN JUAN AND I'M AT THE HOTEL IN 15 OR 20 MINUTES AND THEN A SHORT CAB RIDE THE NEXT MONRING TO THE PIER...i kinow it will be alright...i need fellow cruise critic geekster to cheer me up and tell me it's gonna be all right and i'm going to enjoy myself...it's going to be 85 degrees in minneapolis today...

it's been a while since i have been on the boards but i'm back...and we even booked a cruise on the freedom of the sea's for march 20,2011...not real happy about the orlando and port canavaral thing but i lost out...i wiould would have rather done the 8 day on the liberty out of miami...but the rest of the group wanted this itinerary...i have been on so may cruises in the last 20 yrs the itinrary menns nothing to me...i just want out of minnesota in the winter time...BIT I HAVE SOME CONCERN ABOUT FLYING TO ORLANDO AND THEN TAKING ABOUT A HOUR BUS RIDE TO PORT CANAVAREL...I'M USED TO FLYING INTO MIAMI OR LAUDERDALE OR SAN JUAN AND I'M AT THE HOTEL IN 15 OR 20 MINUTES AND THEN A SHORT CAB RIDE THE NEXT MONRING TO THE PIER...i kinow it will be alright...i need fellow cruise critic geekster to cheer me up and tell me it's gonna be all right and i'm going to enjoy myself...it's going to be 85 degrees in minneapolis today...

Welcome back Mike!!!

We like to rent a car at the airport, drive to the hotel, return car the next day and have the rental agency's shuttle take us to the port. You can get some discount codes for your rental at http://www.mousesavers.com that will save you $$$.

I too like sailing out of Miami but would rather fly into FLL. Much easier as far as I am concerned.

Tim

If your biggest concern is a 40 min drive time difference to port, then I think you're doing just fine. I guess after 20 yrs of cruising you start running out of important things to worry about.:rolleyes:

If that turns out to be your biggest problem of the trip, then you'll end up having the absolute best vacation known to man. Enjoy your cruise!

To OP....It'll be fine. Hey, it's better to cruise out of Pt. Canaveral than to be in Minneapolis in the winter. Keep it in perspective....;) Here's what I would do if I were you. I'd fly in a day (or two) early, rent a car at the MCO airport and drive to Pt. Canaveral. Book a room at one of the hotels that offer free shuttle service to the cruise terminal the day of embarkation. Spend the afternoon relaxing at the hotel pool, or over on Cocoa Beach. Return the rental car and they will take you back to your hotel. Relax over dinner and drinks and when you wake up the next morning you will be ready to cruise. Have a great time!!!

Welcome back! But I have to ask, since I did not check on my own, what is so great about Freedom's itinerary? We did Independence's 8 nighter a couple of months ago out of Port Everglades and I absolutely loved it. I would have pushed for Liberty out of Miami.

Anyway, don't worry about the transfer from Orlando to Port Canaveral. We did it a few years ago when we sailed Mariner. It is a straight shot on a highway. It is easy to do but, obviously, no where near as convenient as FLL to Port Everglades or SJU to the Pan American pier in San Juan.

Enjoy!

Mike-

I have done the drive from MCO to Port Canaveral many times. Use that time to get really, REALLY psyched up about the cruise you are about to take. Honestly, it is only about 40 minutes, mostly freeway; so it is really a somewhat enjoyable ride. Also, you can use that time to look for alligators. No joke. I have seen many along the way. Turn it into a game. That really bides your time, take it from me, a fellow geekster. Just remember, you are cruising man!!! What could be wrong? ;)

Welcome back - don't want to throw a kink in your plans but you might get that cruise on the Liberty. If I remember correctly March 20 - 27 is the date for Freedom of the Seas drydock. There were a couple of threads about it this past week. If you look at it now you can't book that week.

Please read the CC guidlines - link at the top of the page (excerpt below)- Correcting someone's spelling is against those guidelines.

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Donna, thank you for posting this about the guidelines. I have been on CC for a long time and I somehow don't remember that one. I guess I will go back and take a refresher course! :)

Archived