Very concerned about being "under" dressed...

U2FanHFX

Hi all,

I have been on youtube watching some videos people have taken onboard the Solstice class ships and have a major concern. We are planning on taking one suite and fancy dress for the entire cruise and the rest of the time just wearing slacks and a dress shirt. We planned on skipping one formal dinner and wear our suit / dress to the other. We thought we could wear the slacks and dress shirt the rest of the time as we have on other cruises. In all the videos, MOST people are wearing tuxedos! Are we not ready for this cruise? lol

Regs,

CJM

Thanks!

I should mention that our reasoning is that this cruise is for purely relaxation only. We don't want to be hassled with being so formal. To be honest, we will spend most of our time on the balcony or at the pool. :)

Regs,

CJM

Your suit and fancy dress will be just lovely. And no problem wearing them twice, if you decide to attend both formal nights.

I just bring extra jewellry and a different small evening bag to switch up my basic black evening attire if I am concerned about packing restrictions (as when I'm travelling without DH and have to carry all of my own luggage ;).)

I do still enjoy seeing my husband dressed in his tux, and am glad that others still wear them.

You'll be perfect. Just off Solstice and saw many people just as you described. Yes, some tuxes as well, but you will not stick out. Honestly, it was a big mix, and everyone was well dressed/groomed etc.

We had the same concerns, totally overpacked, and didn't wear half of it

You will be fine! For the past few years, I have worn the same black cocktail dress to both formal nights. I'm doing a 12 night Med cruise in December and if they have 3 formal nights, I am going to wear the same dress 3X. So silly to worry about that now days - I always believe in dressing appropriately but that doesn't mean I have to take a different outfit for each evening like I used to do. Packing lighter is so liberating! :)

You will be just fine. For years, I have been taking black separates on cruises and using jewelry and scarves to change the look for evening wear. It works perfectly, and I really think that is how experienced folks choose to handle evening wear today. A couple of beautiful shawls also help, and they are easily found in exotic ports of call. My husband takes a dark suit and some lovely silk ties and looks terrific. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks!

I should mention that our reasoning is that this cruise is for purely relaxation only. We don't want to be hassled with being so formal. To be honest, we will spend most of our time on the balcony or at the pool. :)

Regs,

CJM

We are the same as you, every time we cruise it is for purely relaxation! That is one of the reasons we love Celebrity!

But we have not found that dressing for formals nights do not interfere with our relaxation at all. In fact we find them pure delight. It is the only time that we have the occasion to look so nice for each other, to dine in elegance and relaxation, we then usually go to one of the lounges wherever they are playing soft quiet music and have a Cognac or Baily's to end our evening relaxed and happy.

My DH always wears a tuxedo, I am so fortunate to have a husband that enjoys dressing up and enjoys me being dressed up, he will often purchase a corsage for me and we both really enjoy the formal evenings! On our last cruise, which was 12 nights it was wonderful to see that about 90% of the men wore tuxedos. AND we did see and hear the maitre'd telling people that were dressed in sport coats with no ties and their wives that were dressed very informally that if they did not dress properly for the next formal night they would not be seated.

But if you are wearing a dark suit and tie and she is wearing a dressy dress you are meeting the suggested dress code. And I agree you can wear the same thing on both nights.

But if you arrange to rent a tux on the ship I don't see why it is would be more trouble wearing a tux than a suit and tie. I have watched my DH put his tux on many times and I watch him put his suit and tie on every weekday morning and I do not see any major time difference and he says he finds no difference in time or effort.

I just hope that you have a fabulous cruise and have a GREAT time!

Solstice 6/13....bringing 1 suite, 1 white dress shirt, 1 blue dress shirt, 2 different ties....I used to bring 2 suites, a sport jacket, etc etc....just not necessary. On non Formal nights dockers and a nice shirt.....we have decided the days of overpacking are over.....traveling light, being comfortable.....This is a vacation!

Solstice 6/13....bringing 1 suite, 1 white dress shirt, 1 blue dress shirt, 2 different ties....I used to bring 2 suites, a sport jacket, etc etc....just not necessary. On non Formal nights dockers and a nice shirt.....we have decided the days of overpacking are over.....traveling light, being comfortable.....This is a vacation!

I could have written the exact same thing. Despite what some say the % of tux will be 25-40% depending on where you sail. Celebrity cruises are relaxing with enough to do if you want.

This debate seems to go on and on, and I just don't get it. Is there something wrong with a little glamour? For us, we LOVE formal nights and look forward to getting all dressed up. I own two tuxes, and formal nights are an excuse for my wife to go shopping for a new gown. What woman doesn't want to do that? Relaxation has nothing to do with it. Formal nights are a grand tradition fo cruising and long may it continue.

That being said, it sounds like you have a perfect plan, OP. Enjoy your cruise!

This debate seems to go on and on, and I just don't get it. Is there something wrong with a little glamour? For us, we LOVE formal nights and look forward to getting all dressed up. I own two tuxes, and formal nights are an excuse for my wife to go shopping for a new gown. What woman doesn't want to do that? Relaxation has nothing to do with it. Formal nights are a grand tradition fo cruising and long may it continue.

That being said, it sounds like you have a perfect plan, OP. Enjoy your cruise!

I agree! I think it's kind of sad that it's not as big of a deal anymore and I would like to see some kind of dress code enforced. I hate seeing jeans in the MDR. We love dressing up, and I love buying new dresses! My husband takes one tux and two vests/ties/shirts for the formal nights, and I typically bring one long dress and one short cocktail dress, and shoes to match. I also typically bring dresses - not quite cocktail - for the other nights, and he'll have slacks, maybe a sport coat, etc. You have wear something! We love the relaxation during the day, but for the night time, we do dress for dinner.

Hi all,

I have been on youtube watching some videos people have taken onboard the Solstice class ships and have a major concern. We are planning on taking one suite and fancy dress for the entire cruise and the rest of the time just wearing slacks and a dress shirt. We planned on skipping one formal dinner and wear our suit / dress to the other. We thought we could wear the slacks and dress shirt the rest of the time as we have on other cruises. In all the videos, MOST people are wearing tuxedos! Are we not ready for this cruise? lol

Regs,

CJM

Your clothing choices are fine and you will not be underdressed. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

We love formal nights and we don't find it stressful or a hassle to get dressed for them. We don't overpack either. With planning you can look great, stay relaxed and enjoy having a formal dinner and evening.

To the OP

Finding the right cruise line for you and your needs would make it a lot less stressful for you and then you wouldn't have to feel concern over clothes. JMHO of course.

Dark suit & a fancy dress is just fine, you can wear it more then once if you choose to go to both formal nights which is what we do now. Dh refuses to bring his tux anymore. Especially with charges for additional luggage these days we pack more concisely. Dh wears his dark suit & I dress up for formal nights, & smart casual for the other nights. We do not wear jeans in the MDR unless on the first evening our luggage has not arrived. As I have nothing against men that want to wear tuxes, lately on my cruises men in tuxes seem to be in the minority.

U2FanHFX - Good thing you are not going on NCL or you would be so overdressed everyone would think you are there for the Royal Coronation!!! :eek: It was disgraceful how people dressed on NCL. Don't even let me start on the food...:(

I am sure you will look great. P.S. We always wear our tuxes...

This will be our first time on Celebrity (Infinity) and I was wondering if we have to wear smart casual on the ship all the time? My in-laws and my hubby and I like to be wear jeans (and no we would not wear them in MD) but just during the cruise. I know it's probably not an issue off the ship but during the the cruise I was kind of wondering.

My DH does not like to dress up for the formal. Everyone is different about weather they like to dress up or not and that's ok. I respect that. It's sounds like many of the ladies that we are going to travel with will be wearing dressy slacks with a formal top and the men will be wearing the suits. Is this going to be an issue. Are we going to have to be wearing smart casual during the rest of the cruise. By the way we are going to Alaska if that makes any difference. Have a great cruise everyone!:D

Dark suit and a dressy dress should be fine for formal nights. Many folks who post here indicate that they wear the same (or very similar) formal outfit both/all formal nights.

I agree! I think it's kind of sad that it's not as big of a deal anymore and I would like to see some kind of dress code enforced. I hate seeing jeans in the MDR. We love dressing up, and I love buying new dresses!

I agree that the debate just rages on, but it is because not everyone thinks the same way. Some folks don't like dressing up, some don't love shopping for a new gown, some don't think dressing up is special, some think dressing up is a chore, and some don't even notice what others wear so they can't understand why their dress impacts your enjoyment.

I'd like to see a cruise line address this concern in a productive manner. Too many lines simply abolish formal night -- there are potential cruisers out there who are put off by formal night and the fear that they might be made to feel out-of-place -- no line wants to feel that they are driving customers away. A formal venue for dinner and maybe a few "formal attire required events, might be a way to keep the formal night-lovers happy while taking some of the pressure off of those who want a more casual trip.

This will be our first time on Celebrity (Infinity) and I was wondering if we have to wear smart casual on the ship all the time? My in-laws and my hubby and I like to be wear jeans (and no we would not wear them in MD) but just during the cruise. I know it's probably not an issue off the ship but during the the cruise I was kind of wondering.

My DH does not like to dress up for the formal. Everyone is different about weather they like to dress up or not and that's ok. I respect that. It's sounds like many of the ladies that we are going to travel with will be wearing dressy slacks with a formal top and the men will be wearing the suits. Is this going to be an issue. Are we going to have to be wearing smart casual during the rest of the cruise. By the way we are going to Alaska if that makes any difference. Have a great cruise everyone!:D

Our experience is that most AK cruises are a "bit" more laid back.

Jeans during the day are perfectly acceptable and in cooler itineraries very commonplace. Slacks and collared shirts are fine for smart casual nights in the MDR for men. For formal night DH wears a dark suit with tie and I wear your basic "glittery" top with dressy slacks (and I am dressed similarly to many if not most other women my age), DD and I scour the post-prom clearance racks for a short dressy dress (we've never spent more than $7.00 for her dress) -- I'd say it was a "cocktail" dress, but hey she's only 14YO! :eek:

I LOVE AK, hope you have a great time!

The beauty of cruising is that we all have the freedom to dress however we choose. After many years of having to attend formal affairs I find that dressing down is my style. We cruise a great deal and mostly long cruises so we have formulated a relaxed style that suits us but we do enjoy the parade of formal wear and how delighted people are with the formal nights. Live and Let Live.

The beauty of cruising is that we all have the freedom to dress however we choose. After many years of having to attend formal affairs I find that dressing down is my style. We cruise a great deal and mostly long cruises so we have formulated a relaxed style that suits us but we do enjoy the parade of formal wear and how delighted people are with the formal nights. Live and Let Live.

That is really well said.

Thanks.

B.

Why does anything need to be abolished? There are so many casual choices available for people is it necessary to make everything in the world exactly the same? All we need to do is choose a vacation that fits our preferences.

It's rather pitiful to see everyone dressed in their jeans and sweatshirts or t-shirts, depending on the season, like some scruffy robot's uniform. I guess the next step is to fill all the cruiseships with fast food places so the passengers will feel comfortable in their attire. After all, it's not fair that the waiters have to look better than the passengers.;)

Archived