**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

Its funny you mention insurance Mary. Megan and I have never used it before, because all of our cruises have left locally, and we always go down to MIA, etc a couple days early. Last week sometime, I got to wondering what would happen if we had some sort of air fiasco and didn't make it. I have bad memories of a trip to New York which wound up not happening due to two canceled flights. I researched Travel Guard and Travel Insured, but you're right they both require 21 days after deposit for "any reason," and their coverage appeared to only apply airline issues if there was a strike..no weather or equipment problems. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Long story short, I went on Princess and added their coverage. I figure at a worst case scenario I'll get a future credit of 75%, and I'd rather have that than be out all of the $3k...

deej - I agree that cruiseline protection can be the best option and I have used it in the past. In looking at coverage for a European sailing, IMO, the evacuation coverage is not sufficient... $25 - $50k. Would be fine for a domestic voyage. Emergency evacuation from Europe to the states can be VERY expensive. While it's unlikely we'll ever need this service, things happen...

I've used TravelSafe various times in the past with no complaints, but their premiums have gone through the roof. After looking at options, I chose MH Ross. I initially thought Travelex would be the best, but found out they are lowering the Cancel for Any Reason benefit from 80% to 60%. Spoke with MH Ross and they are handling volcanic ash as a weather related delay and earthquakes as a natural disaster with full coverage if the city of departure is rendered uninhabitable. Tried to "cover all the bases", but I'm sure there's something I missed.

One of the things I like, though, is most carriers will let you transfer the purchased coverage to another cruise. If in the end, I cancel the Noordam sailing prior to encurring cancellation fees, I have one year from the initial date of departure to transfer the coverage to another sailing.

As I said, it's mind boggling.... Sometimes I think Pin the Tail on the Policy might be more effective...:D

Mary

I have been buying insurance for a few years now just for the evacuation coverage in case I need a trip to a hospital. However, I don't normally buy it until final payment.

The cancel for any reason is becoming more important though - especially for the costly trips (like our one to Hawaii). I think I will check out some options on this one and talk with the TA about the coverage that she offers too. Thanks for the sanity check!

I am with you guys on the frustration with this travel insurance issue too. I read all the fine print yet I feel like there is always going to be some excuse why they won't be willing to pay. :rolleyes: I have used mostly 3rd party insurances but now that I am elite with Princess, I just decided to use the Princess insurance. For elite folks, they upgrade it to their platinum policy for free, which makes it a great deal and saves me about $400 for the 2 of us.

So for both these sailings in May, I have decided to just do the Princess insurance for the first time. I am hoping I won't need it! :D

Katherine

So for both these sailings in May, I have decided to just do the Princess insurance for the first time. I am hoping I won't need it! :D

Katherine

I agree... All we can do is make an educated selection and hope for the best!!!!

Mary

To share the story...

2 years ago we were due to go to NY for the weekend. Our 7am flight on Thursday was canceled, and the only one they could rebook us on was at 7pm. No worries, we went to Disney to kill time. The 7pm flight took off at 9:45, and over about South Carolina the pilot comes on and tells us that there is a problem with the aircraft, and we're heading back to Orlando. We wait in line till 1am and are told we can rebook for 10am Friday. Megan and I throw in the towel, and decide we're staying put. As we're leaving the hotel they put us up in, one of our fellow passengers is sitting in the lobby. I asked why he wasn't at the airport.....the 10am flight had been canceled......

So this is my fear and why I wanted insurance. I'm not really worried about a refund per se, I just want the money secure for a future date. As best I can tell, if this nightmare happens again, we'll get 75% credit, and then if we ever make it, Meg and I will spend the week in British Columbia:D

No worries, ain't gonna happen....;)

To share the story...

2 years ago we were due to go to NY for the weekend. Our 7am flight on Thursday was canceled, and the only one they could rebook us on was at 7pm. No worries, we went to Disney to kill time. The 7pm flight took off at 9:45, and over about South Carolina the pilot comes on and tells us that there is a problem with the aircraft, and we're heading back to Orlando. We wait in line till 1am and are told we can rebook for 10am Friday. Megan and I throw in the towel, and decide we're staying put. As we're leaving the hotel they put us up in, one of our fellow passengers is sitting in the lobby. I asked why he wasn't at the airport.....the 10am flight had been canceled......

So this is my fear and why I wanted insurance. I'm not really worried about a refund per se, I just want the money secure for a future date. As best I can tell, if this nightmare happens again, we'll get 75% credit, and then if we ever make it, Meg and I will spend the week in British Columbia:D

No worries, ain't gonna happen....;)

deej... Your story shows "stuff happens" I feel more comfortable knowing we're covered...

I remember all the Star Princess South American stories earlier this year. So many couldn't make it to the ship... Airlines were not flying there... Cruise operated... People without cancel for any reason coverage lost their $$$$ and this was an expensive cruise.

The premium I paid was 8% of the cruise fare. It is transferrable if we cancel the cruise prior to the penalty period.

It really is a personal risk assessment...

Mary

I have been buying insurance for a few years now just for the evacuation coverage in case I need a trip to a hospital. However, I don't normally buy it until final payment.

The cancel for any reason is becoming more important though - especially for the costly trips (like our one to Hawaii). I think I will check out some options on this one and talk with the TA about the coverage that she offers too. Thanks for the sanity check!

Linda - I can't remember and am too "lazy" to re-read the thread... You're taking a Carnival CC Group sailing to Hawaii, right? What is Carnival's cruiseline insurance like? Cancel for any reason cruise credit like Princess?

I purchased Princess insurance once and USED it. Volcanic ash in Anchorage and a mudslide closed the road to Whittier. Too much stress for us. Canceled, received credits, and booked a R/T Celebrity out of Vancouver. Insurance claim was no problem.

Mary

Mary,

If you cancel with PRincess because of a personal reason instead of an emergency, they only give you 100% back as a cruise credit, right? The travel insurance I used in the past allows cancellation with 100% cash refund for any reason, including a business reason like your boss tells you that you can't go 24h before sailing.... I hope to read through the fine print and see if Princess is like that too. I believe the full refund only comes with the Platinum protection. Otherwise it's only 75%?

Katherine

Mary,

If you cancel with PRincess because of a personal reason instead of an emergency, they only give you 100% back as a cruise credit, right? The travel insurance I used in the past allows cancellation with 100% cash refund for any reason, including a business reason like your boss tells you that you can't go 24h before sailing.... I hope to read through the fine print and see if Princess is like that too. I believe the full refund only comes with the Platinum protection. Otherwise it's only 75%?

Katherine

Katherine

Even though there was volcanic ash and a mudslide, ours was considered a personal reason. We weren't willing to wait until the last minute and see if the cruise was a go or not. Too much anxiety. Therefore we canceled right at the 30 day point and received a 50% refund and a 50% cruise credit

(100% of the penalty amount). We had the Platinum Protection. If we had purchased the Standard policy, we would have received a 50% refund for canceling 30 days prior and a cruise credit equal to 75% of the 50% penalty amount. See what I mean... mind boggling! :D

I really don't know if the Princess policy has a cancel for work reasons provision. As you say, it's all in the fine print!

Linda - I can't remember and am too "lazy" to re-read the thread... You're taking a Carnival CC Group sailing to Hawaii, right? What is Carnival's cruiseline insurance like? Cancel for any reason cruise credit like Princess?

I purchased Princess insurance once and USED it. Volcanic ash in Anchorage and a mudslide closed the road to Whittier. Too much stress for us. Canceled, received credits, and booked a R/T Celebrity out of Vancouver. Insurance claim was no problem.

Mary

We actually cancelled the Carnival sailing and booked the Sapphire Princess 4/14/12 sailing instead. So we will definitely be using the Princess insurance for that cruise!

I usually buy Access America through my TA or Travel Guard through insuremytrip. However, the cancel for any reason is becoming more important so I'm now looking at paying a little more and going through Princess.

we actually cancelled the carnival sailing and booked the sapphire princess 4/14/12 sailing instead. So we will definitely be using the princess insurance for that cruise!

I usually buy access america through my ta or travel guard through insuremytrip. However, the cancel for any reason is becoming more important so i'm now looking at paying a little more and going through princess.

That's interesting!:D:D:D

We actually cancelled the Carnival sailing and booked the Sapphire Princess 4/14/12 sailing instead. So we will definitely be using the Princess insurance for that cruise!

I usually buy Access America through my TA or Travel Guard through insuremytrip. However, the cancel for any reason is becoming more important so I'm now looking at paying a little more and going through Princess.

Hmmmm, I am looking at that APril 14, 2012 sailing on the Sapphire too! We don't have anything booked for 2012 so I should get on that, right??!!! I would love to do Hawaii with the kids. I think the problem is that their Spring Break is a week before, which means 2 weeks out of school. That probably won't work for us. May have to take the Golden the week before...

Katherine

Hmmmm, I am looking at that APril 14, 2012 sailing on the Sapphire too! We don't have anything booked for 2012 so I should get on that, right??!!! I would love to do Hawaii with the kids. I think the problem is that their Spring Break is a week before, which means 2 weeks out of school. That probably won't work for us. May have to take the Golden the week before...

Katherine

Katherine, that would great if you join us! Our TA had the Princess $100 pp deposits this week so we just changed our plans yesterday :D

The Sapphire and the Saturday to Saturday itinerary worked betted for us otherwise we may have picked the Golden.....

I actually considered The Century to Hawaii in November of 2011. It's a 10 night one-way sailing from Ensenada that includes Hilo, Kona, Maui, and Honolulu. Could spend a few days either in Honolulu or Kauai and then fly home. Decided on the Noordam Greece itinerary instead.

Mary

One of these days I will do another Med cruise. Missed Greece on the last trip so I need to go back.....:D

One of these days I'll do a Hawaiian cruise.... Too many cruises, not enough time! Work and $$$ just keep getting in the way. :D

I do feel blessed to be able to cruise at all.

Mary

One of these days I'll do a Hawaiian cruise.... Too many cruises, not enough time! Work and $$$ just keep getting in the way. :D

I do feel blessed to be able to cruise at all.

Mary

Isn't that the truth! The goal is to keep checking destinations off the "bucket list" while we can :D

One of these days I will do another Med cruise. Missed Greece on the last trip so I need to go back.....:D

Me too! That's totally on my bucket list! Europe and especially Greece is really high on my wish list. I might even splurge and try Crystal in Europe, which I heard is a wonderful way to see all those little islands around Greece and Italy. :)

Katherine

Me too! That's totally on my bucket list! Europe and especially Greece is really high on my wish list. I might even splurge and try Crystal in Europe, which I heard is a wonderful way to see all those little islands around Greece and Italy. :)

Katherine

I've been keeping my eye on Seabourn... :D

I've been lucky in my short life to check off a lot of my bucket list, although there is much to go. We've done Paris a couple times as well as Barcelona. Pre-wife I hit London and Amsterdam with one of my college roomates, as well as Korea and Beijing with another. I think the next Europe adventure is going to have to be Scotland and Ireland. Golf is a requirement in my family, and its my dream to play St. Andrews and the others. A while back I caught a show on PBS about the pubs of Dublin, hosted by the guy who wrote Angela's Ashes, who's name now escapes me. Naturally, that got Ireland added to my list;)

I've seen from time to time British Isles cruises, and Meg seems to think its the next itinerary after Alaska:D

My real "bucket list" cruises are Australia/New Zealand or Antarctica. Both are cruises that will require more than 2 weeks off work...:( Not on the agenda right now.... A Panama Canal sailing might be next on the cruise agenda after Greece. My husband is an engineer by trade and wants to see it.

We've been to Paris several times as well as London. I spent a WONDERFUL vacation with friends that live in the English countryside near Stonehenge. My DH has been to Amsterdam as well as many business trips to China, India and the Philippines. I have not been able to join him, although I have to say visiting Asia is lower on my list of places to see.

We both want to take land based vacations to Scotland/Ireland for the reasons you mention deej... We also plan to take a land based vacation to St. Petersburg, Russia at some point. We have various friends that either live or have lived in Russia and will be able to assist us with the trip. Italy is on the list, too. Maybe a cruise, maybe land based... don't know yet.

Wish we could travel full time... It's nice to go away, but better still to come back HOME... There's no place that's like it. :D

Archived