**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

That's right, I forgot about the kayaking. That sounds great too! I wonder if they could get us back in time though since we leave at 12:30. That would probably mean having to be on board by noon at the latest!! EEEK.

The age limit is 6 on the kayaks so that means my younger DD can do it too by the time next May rolls around! She'd love it. I noticed their website doesn't have the 2011 schedule up yet. :o But I am guessing by fall they will.

Does anyone know the difference between Harv and Marv excursion vs Captain Larry? We did Captain Larry in 2002 and it was AMAZING. But now everyone on the boards is talking about this other company (or are they the same -- renamed?).

Katherine

That's right, I forgot about the kayaking. That sounds great too! I wonder if they could get us back in time though since we leave at 12:30. That would probably mean having to be on board by noon at the latest!! EEEK.

The age limit is 6 on the kayaks so that means my younger DD can do it too by the time next May rolls around! She'd love it. I noticed their website doesn't have the 2011 schedule up yet. :o But I am guessing by fall they will.

Does anyone know the difference between Harv and Marv excursion vs Captain Larry? We did Captain Larry in 2002 and it was AMAZING. But now everyone on the boards is talking about this other company (or are they the same -- renamed?).

Katherine

Your daughter would probably really like the kayak trip and it is only 2.5 hours for the one that leaves right from town. There should be no problem fitting in to our port schedule.

I would like to try Harv & Marv this time just for a different experience. Have done Captain Larry twice and always enjoy it but just want to change it up a bit....

Your daughter would probably really like the kayak trip and it is only 2.5 hours for the one that leaves right from town. There should be no problem fitting in to our port schedule.

I would like to try Harv & Marv this time just for a different experience. Have done Captain Larry twice and always enjoy it but just want to change it up a bit....

Well, 2.5 hours sounds perfect, especially since she's younger and while she has a good attention span, I am not sure she's gonna wanna kayak for hours on end. We kayaked someplace the last time we were in Alaska with Princess too, and it was gorgeous, so I am going to have to look back on my scrapbook album and find the excursions we did. I can't believe it was so long ago! Cannot wait to go back next year.

Katherine

Don't worry Mary, it doesn't show your age to remember when Janzen won. Sure I may have been in middle school then, but I remember it quite well:D It was a Baltusrol and he set what was then a tournament record. And I didnt even use Google;)

Yes golf needs help without Tiger. I am the most anti-Mickelson person you can meet, so clearly I'm not happy. But its still my game, and I'll watch no matter who's winning, I just wont be excited about it.

As for Alaska, we are considering doing a hike out to the glacier in Juneau. My parents did whitewater rafting there and all but insisted we do it, but I'm liking the sound of this other better. Basically its a two hour hike to the glacier, you walk around on it for an hour, and then hike back. We are undecided between this and Harv and Marv

Linda, what is the kayaking you speak of in Ketchikan? I'm intrigued....

As for Skagway, naturally everyone says we need to do the railroad since we've never been. Sure I like the idea, but I dont like doing what everyone else does, so I'm not married to it. Any thoughts?

And then Victoria, I think we just plan on finding a nice restaurant for our final dinner...

deej - We took the train/cycle excursion once... loved it!

http://www.cyclealaska.com/index.html

Now that I look at the site, we have taken the Triple Adventure too.

Mary

Thanks for the links! This jogged my memory -- we did the Tatoosh island kayaking and it was wonderful! Saw whales and lots of eagles. The waters were crystal clear and so still, it was like kayaking in a pool. VERY fun!

The bummer about these excursions is the minumum age is 8. I guess we'll have to see what the Princess minimum age is when the excursions open up. The private tours through kayakketchikan are 6.

The zip line sounds like fun too. But that's 11 so my older DD could do it (and would LOOOVE it since she's an adrenalin junkie) but then my younger DD and I would be on our own.

Decisions, decisions! I might post on the Alaska board asking someone who is going on a cruise on the golden this year look up the options for excursions and the ages with Princess.... Katherine

I have done the trip out of Skagway on both the train and via passenger, and IMO via passenger car is MANY times better. You can stop when you want, which we did. We played in the snow, we picked up rocks, we stopped for photo ops, etc. The best part was the bear that walked across the road right in front of us. We pulled over and watched it loll around in the grass, reaching for limbs with green leaves and berries on them -- lucky enough to get some great photos. It was a blast and SOOOOO much better than the train.

I have done the trip out of Skagway on both the train and via passenger, and IMO via passenger car is MANY times better. You can stop when you want, which we did. We played in the snow, we picked up rocks, we stopped for photo ops, etc. The best part was the bear that walked across the road right in front of us. We pulled over and watched it loll around in the grass, reaching for limbs with green leaves and berries on them -- lucky enough to get some great photos. It was a blast and SOOOOO much better than the train.

Is Avis the only rental place in town? Did you need a bigger car? I think we did this last time by train and then some sort of little minivan. It was nice to get the narration and history but at this point, I think the car will be enough for us. I do think everyone should do the train at least once though...

Katherine

I'm not a big fan of the train... JMO.

There's another rental agency in town, but it's a local type of operation. Not very reliable, unless something has changed.

Mary

About Ketchikan -- laugh all you want, but I have been to Aslaka four times, to Ketchikan four times, and I learned more about Ketchikan and saw more on the Duck Boat Tour than anything else! Yes, the Duck Boat Tour. I had a blast and it was comfortable, protected from the rain that day (it rains most days in Ketchikan, doesn't it?), and short enough to hold my interest and not be boring. I loved it!

It's also my favorite place to shop. Creek Street is a great street, full of history and interesting things to see. The creek has a salmon ladder and I heard that during salmon runs you can run across the creek and not even get your feet wet, the salmon are that thick. The stores are good, not cheesy tourist traps, and have some great Alaskan art/carvings/jewelry. There is also a conference center up on top of the hill, and when you get up there it's a great view of the pier and the ships.

Just my two cents worth about Ketchikan!

The creek has a salmon ladder and I heard that during salmon runs you can run across the creek and not even get your feet wet, the salmon are that thick.

Have been in Ketchican in Sept. during the salmon runs. Yes, they are that thick! It's an amazing sight.

Mary

Thanks for the links! This jogged my memory -- we did the Tatoosh island kayaking and it was wonderful! Saw whales and lots of eagles. The waters were crystal clear and so still, it was like kayaking in a pool. VERY fun!

Thanks for the info. The Tatoosh Island trip sounds really nice and I may do that one since I'm betting Margie is going to be shopping ;)

Hey, hey -- who said I was going to be shopping? Just because I'm one of the best at shopping doesn't mean I'll be doing that in Ketchikan. Of course, you know I am not an early riser, so anything anyone expects me to do shouldn't begin until 9:00 or later.....

Hey, hey -- who said I was going to be shopping? Just because I'm one of the best at shopping doesn't mean I'll be doing that in Ketchikan. Of course, you know I am not an early riser, so anything anyone expects me to do shouldn't begin until 9:00 or later.....

Well, it is a short port stop so kayaking will be early for sure. I'm guessing that excursion will depart about 7:15am :eek:

How about a nap before dinner after we sail?

My husband has decided he wants to do some type of cycling in Skagway, so I guess the drive to Emerald Lake is out. That's OK. We'll just have to go back again another time! :D

Did you notice my new avitar? That's my nephew with the salmon he caught in Alaska... If anyone likes fishing, it really is amazing.

Mary

Uh, I'm going to have to think about this one!

Okay, I'll wake you at 6am for breakfast ;) I remember you did very well on the early morning days last time :)

My husband has decided he wants to do some type of cycling in Skagway, so I guess the drive to Emerald Lake is out. That's OK. We'll just have to go back again another time! :D

Did you notice my new avitar? That's my nephew with the salmon he caught in Alaska... If anyone likes fishing, it really is amazing.

Mary

That sounds like fun Mary but there has to be some steep grades for cyclists!

I did notice your avatar but forgot to mention it. I love to fish but there are just too many things to do in Alaska!

Okay, I'll wake you at 6am for breakfast ;) I remember you did very well on the early morning days last time :)

That sounds like fun Mary but there has to be some steep grades for cyclists!

I did notice your avatar but forgot to mention it. I love to fish but there are just too many things to do in Alaska!

Actually, you either take the train or a van UP the mountain and cycle back down... :D It's really nice to be outdoors and get at least some exercise. It also makes the train ride a little more interesting. I agree with Katherine that the train is something everyone should consider once. The last time we took my mother (it was our 2nd or 3rd trip) I think I fell asleep on the return.

We're looking for something new to do in Juneau. Have done the floatplane/helicopter to the glacier routine as well as whale watching. Any suggestions?

We'll see as our departure gets closer. As you say, there are many options to choose from.

Man Oh Man... Tiger really did stink it up this weekend....

Mary

My husband has decided he wants to do some type of cycling in Skagway, so I guess the drive to Emerald Lake is out.

Mary

Mary, I totally forgot, Meg and I are planning on doing this also. In fact, I think we have our heart set on that more than anything else as far as excursions go. The one we looked at took the train up, and then you cycled back down. Although, something to think about...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155497&highlight=skagway+bike

Mary, I totally forgot, Meg and I are planning on doing this also. In fact, I think we have our heart set on that more than anything else as far as excursions go. The one we looked at took the train up, and then you cycled back down. Although, something to think about...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155497&highlight=skagway+bike

deej - We have been on this excursion before. It was one of our favorites ever. We never felt uneasy or that it was dangerous. It can be done in conjunction with the train or just a van ride up and cycle back down. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I don't know if I'll go this time or not, but my husband says he will.

Accidents are possible. That's a given. It's up to the individual to decide if they're up for a particular adventure.

Mary

Question making "the rounds" online today:

Should Tiger be chosen for the Ryder Cup team? Interesting....

Mary

I don't think so. Even in his best years he hasn't been the best at Ryder Cup play....

I don't think he should be picked, nor do I think he would want to play if asked. If you take the fact that he's Tiger out of the equation, and base it solely on his play recently, then he doesn't deserve a spot. The UK fans will be brutal to him also, which won't help. Now, if he goes out and wins the PGA, I'll change my tune, but I'm not anticipating watching him next weekend, or the rest of the year. And Linda is right, for the big deal everyone makes about his match play skills, his Ryder Cup record is less than stellar... If I were Corey Pavin, I'd pick Fred Couples...

I don't think he should be picked, nor do I think he would want to play if asked. If you take the fact that he's Tiger out of the equation, and base it solely on his play recently, then he doesn't deserve a spot. The UK fans will be brutal to him also, which won't help. Now, if he goes out and wins the PGA, I'll change my tune, but I'm not anticipating watching him next weekend, or the rest of the year. And Linda is right, for the big deal everyone makes about his match play skills, his Ryder Cup record is less than stellar... If I were Corey Pavin, I'd pick Fred Couples...

I didn't think about the Brits... you're right they'll be brutal.

The Captain has 2 picks, right?

Archived