**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

My real "bucket list" cruises are Australia/New Zealand or Antarctica. Both are cruises that will require more than 2 weeks off work...:( Not on the agenda right now.... A Panama Canal sailing might be next on the cruise agenda after Greece. My husband is an engineer by trade and wants to see it.

We've been to Paris several times as well as London. I spent a WONDERFUL vacation with friends that live in the English countryside near Stonehenge. My DH has been to Amsterdam as well as many business trips to China, India and the Philippines. I have not been able to join him, although I have to say visiting Asia is lower on my list of places to see.

We both want to take land based vacations to Scotland/Ireland for the reasons you mention deej... We also plan to take a land based vacation to St. Petersburg, Russia at some point. We have various friends that either live or have lived in Russia and will be able to assist us with the trip. Italy is on the list, too. Maybe a cruise, maybe land based... don't know yet.

Wish we could travel full time... It's nice to go away, but better still to come back HOME... There's no place that's like it. :D

Mary,

Definitely take in the Panama Canal. It really is amazing. Wes and I have been through there - I've lost count how many times because I only have one hand free at the moment - and it never gets boring. When you think that it was built with slides rules, and the back-breaking labor of so many men, and number of those that died building it, it is a truly remarkable feat.

And now with additional construction for the longer, wider locks, even more interesting, especially for an engineer.

I, too, wish we could travel full time. Why haven't I won the lottery yet????:)

Ginger

Mary,

Definitely take in the Panama Canal. It really is amazing. Wes and I have been through there - I've lost count how many times because I only have one hand free at the moment - and it never gets boring. When you think that it was built with slides rules, and the back-breaking labor of so many men, and number of those that died building it, it is a truly remarkable feat.

And now with additional construction for the longer, wider locks, even more interesting, especially for an engineer.

I, too, wish we could travel full time. Why haven't I won the lottery yet????:)

Ginger

Ginger - What's your favorite ship for the Panama Canal? Oh, BTW... I haven't won the lottery yet either!

Mary

Ginger - What's your favorite ship for the Panama Canal? Oh, BTW... I haven't won the lottery yet either!

Mary

The Coral and the Island both sail the canal. Either is great - I do suggest a full transit over a partial transit, if you have the time. We are kind of partial to the Coral, we honeymooned on her and there is just "something" about the Coral that is quite wonderful. The Island is her nearly identical twin, so there is practically no difference. We will be back on the Coral in March...very much looking forward to that cruise.

Maybe if I bought a lottery ticket now and then my chances of winning would improve.:eek:

Ginger

The Coral and the Island both sail the canal. Either is great - I do suggest a full transit over a partial transit, if you have the time. We are kind of partial to the Coral, we honeymooned on her and there is just "something" about the Coral that is quite wonderful. The Island is her nearly identical twin, so there is practically no difference. We will be back on the Coral in March...very much looking forward to that cruise.

Maybe if I bought a lottery ticket now and then my chances of winning would improve.:eek:

Ginger

Ginger - Has Princess added the International Cafe to either of the ships? The Sanctuary? If not, do they have plans to? I guess I could do a search on the Princess board. Update Just did a search... no IC, but does have a Sanctuary and MUTS.... No future plans..

I haven't bought a lottery ticket in ages. As they say... You have to play to win! Maybe we should... this could be a sign...:D

Mary

Well, I think we've nailed down a hotel. At least, unless something better comes along that is. I booked a $150 AAA rate at the St. Regis. At first, I was all excited cause I thought it was the St. Regis, but after some research I learned it wasn't. Even still, ranked #2 behind the Shangri La on Trip Advisor, and thats usually a pretty good judge in my opinion. Of course, the name fooled my wife too, cause the first thing she asked was if they have the same bloody mary's as the one in New York. ;) So its booked, and unless a better deal comes along, I'm pretty happy with the choice. Anyone have experience here?

DJ, no expereince with that hotel here...but #2 on TripAdvisor must mean they are doing everything right. Should be a good choice and the price is right :D

It looks like a long weekend of subpar golf from Tiger. I wish he would make golf exciting again. Bummer....

DJ, no expereince with that hotel here...but #2 on TripAdvisor must mean they are doing everything right. Should be a good choice and the price is right :D

It looks like a long weekend of subpar golf from Tiger. I wish he would make golf exciting again. Bummer....

Oh Linda, don't get me started on Tiger. Its depressing and so frustrating all at the same time. He's gotta hire a coach, doing it alone is obviously not working. The quicker he realizes what all of us know, that he's not the same Tiger anymore, the quicker he can move on and go back to what he does best....winning golf tournaments. Maybe its naive of me to think that 8 months is enough time for him to be back, when obviously its not. But he's still my hero, and I just hate seeing him laying on the mat....

As for the hotel, I'm pretty optimistic about it. Hard to find a bad review somewhere, and you're right...the price is definitely right...

It is so very painful to watch :( I think you may be right about hiring a coach but I think most of it is in his head. So maybe he needs some sessions of another type? He has some big obstacles to overcome that's for sure.

Golf won't ever be the same for me unless he makes it all the way back!

It is so very painful to watch :( I think you may be right about hiring a coach but I think most of it is in his head. So maybe he needs some sessions of another type? He has some big obstacles to overcome that's for sure.

Golf won't ever be the same for me unless he makes it all the way back!

You're right....golf is 100% mental and 10% physical, and his situation especially is all in his head. He had swing issues before all of this, he was just able to get by because of who he was. Not so anymore. On the other hand, who am I to tell him what to do. The guy has caused so much pain for so many people, he knows it, and I can't imagine walking around knowing that. Obviously I'm quite passionate about this, I just want him back, and with each week on the course it seems like it may never be...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast:D

By the way Linda, do you ever play at Dunedin Country Club? We hosted my Granddad's 70th birthday there a while back, and he is always raving about the course and its history. His wife also plays quite a bit there...

By the way Linda, do you ever play at Dunedin Country Club? We hosted my Granddad's 70th birthday there a while back, and he is always raving about the course and its history. His wife also plays quite a bit there...

No, I don't actually golf and I only started watching when Tiger came on the scene. I really hope he comes back!

Yawn -- c'mon guys, you know watching golf is about as exciting as watching paint dry, right?

Has anyone done any driving trips out of any of our stops in Alaska other than Skagway? Linda and I have driven out of Skagway to Emerald Lake and absolutely loved it. What other opportunities are out there that anyone knows of?

Well, I think we've nailed down a hotel. At least, unless something better comes along that is. I booked a $150 AAA rate at the St. Regis. At first, I was all excited cause I thought it was the St. Regis, but after some research I learned it wasn't. Even still, ranked #2 behind the Shangri La on Trip Advisor, and thats usually a pretty good judge in my opinion. Of course, the name fooled my wife too, cause the first thing she asked was if they have the same bloody mary's as the one in New York. ;) So its booked, and unless a better deal comes along, I'm pretty happy with the choice. Anyone have experience here?

This is really strange... I booked the St. Regis this week, too. Except it's in Rome pre-cruise for our Med. sailing next October. Had enough Starwood points for 2 nights at the St. Regis or 3 nights at the Westin. Decided to use the points at the St. Regis for 2 nights and pay for the 3rd. The Westin reviews weren't that great.... many posts on tripadvisor regarding the rooms being hot. I can't take AC issues. BTW, this is the "real" St. Regis...:)

deej... I'm not familiar with the St. Regis in Vancouver. Do you plan to use it as your safety net and bid on Priceline closer to the sailing date? It sounds like a unique hotel.

I don't know what to say about Tiger and golf. He imploded his life and it will take a long time, if ever, to fix the situation. I started watching golf when Lee Janzen won his first US Open. Yes, I know I'm showing my age! If you take Tiger out of the equation, golf has still lost it's attraction. I watched and enjoyed golf pre-Tiger and liked it even more when he joined the tour. Until the guys can put on a better show, it's just boring.

What a great weekend... Emmett will be inducted into the Hall of Fame and the 'Boys play the Bengals. Life is good.:D

Mary

Yawn -- c'mon guys, you know watching golf is about as exciting as watching paint dry, right?

Has anyone done any driving trips out of any of our stops in Alaska other than Skagway? Linda and I have driven out of Skagway to Emerald Lake and absolutely loved it. What other opportunities are out there that anyone knows of?

We plan to take the Emerald lake drive this time.... don't know any other driving trips.

Mary

We ordered NFL Red Zone last year and LOVED it. Did anyone else get it? Placed my order for this year yesterday.

Mary

We love it too. Not available for us, I don't think, but DH goes to a friend's house to watch Red Zone. It's too fast for me. I love football but I don't understand it well enough to be able to pick things up from snippets. I need to actually WATCH the game and see how one play leads to another to get it. ;)

Call me slow...

Baseball and football are my favorites. Baseball has always been number one for me -- that is, until Drayton McLane gutted the Astros, and now it's just a big question mark.

I love college football (go 'Horns) better than pro, but will watch my Texans (lose)!

Okay, let's start talking Alaska :D

Anyone thinking about what they want to do yet?

I would love to do:

Skagway - Haines float trip or Yukon car trip

Juneau - whale watch (Harv & Marv)

Ketchikan - kayaking

Juneau is definitely whale watching for us. I was thinking of booking the excursions after the current season is over (like in Sept) so that the tour operators are not overwhelmed.

I'd like to rent a car and drive around in Skagway too. We've done the train before and loved it but I think I'd like to make my own itiniary. The only concern we have is the bears wondering around! I keep seeing trip reports on CC of people sighting big brown bears. EEEK! I don't want them eating my 5 year old girl!

Ketchikan is going to be a Princess based excursion, we decided, since we are only in port for 5-6 hours. I would HATE to miss the boat. So we will look through the Princess offerings and do something, not sure what.

What about Victoria? What does one do there at night?? We'll be there the week before on the Sapphire Coastal cruise as an all day stop so we may not plan much of anything. Depends on how the kids feel, I guess.

Katherine

Juneau is definitely whale watching for us. I was thinking of booking the excursions after the current season is over (like in Sept) so that the tour operators are not overwhelmed.

I'd like to rent a car and drive around in Skagway too. We've done the train before and loved it but I think I'd like to make my own itiniary. The only concern we have is the bears wondering around! I keep seeing trip reports on CC of people sighting big brown bears. EEEK! I don't want them eating my 5 year old girl!

Ketchikan is going to be a Princess based excursion, we decided, since we are only in port for 5-6 hours. I would HATE to miss the boat. So we will look through the Princess offerings and do something, not sure what.

What about Victoria? What does one do there at night?? We'll be there the week before on the Sapphire Coastal cruise as an all day stop so we may not plan much of anything. Depends on how the kids feel, I guess.

Katherine

Katherine,

Since you have a 5 yr. old, I recommend trying to fit in the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan, in addition to whatever else you might want to do. Takes about an hour, a few blocks from the pier. It is a bit hokey, but a ton of fun. Even our 19yr. olds enjoyed it - I was afraid I was going to hear it was just silly, but they loved it. Very family oriented, they get the audience going by cheering for each lumberjack by sections, we really enjoyed it.

Ginger

Don't worry Mary, it doesn't show your age to remember when Janzen won. Sure I may have been in middle school then, but I remember it quite well:D It was a Baltusrol and he set what was then a tournament record. And I didnt even use Google;)

Yes golf needs help without Tiger. I am the most anti-Mickelson person you can meet, so clearly I'm not happy. But its still my game, and I'll watch no matter who's winning, I just wont be excited about it.

As for Alaska, we are considering doing a hike out to the glacier in Juneau. My parents did whitewater rafting there and all but insisted we do it, but I'm liking the sound of this other better. Basically its a two hour hike to the glacier, you walk around on it for an hour, and then hike back. We are undecided between this and Harv and Marv

Linda, what is the kayaking you speak of in Ketchikan? I'm intrigued....

As for Skagway, naturally everyone says we need to do the railroad since we've never been. Sure I like the idea, but I dont like doing what everyone else does, so I'm not married to it. Any thoughts?

And then Victoria, I think we just plan on finding a nice restaurant for our final dinner...

DJ, here is the link to kayaking http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

I have been wanting to do one of their trips for years and haven't managed to do it yet. I'm going to try to do it this time :D

I hiked one of the shorter trails at Mendenhall a couple of years ago and it was nice. Very cold that day though and we didn't make it as long as we wanted to. It was after a whale watch trip and we were all cold already. I believe Harv & Marv will drop you there after their trip - like Captain Larry (when we went).

Archived