**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

So aside from shopping, what do you folks recommend as an excursion in Ketchikan? Someone said kayaking? Is there any hiking? Or maybe renting a car to drive the area?

Thanks!

Katherine

So aside from shopping, what do you folks recommend as an excursion in Ketchikan? Someone said kayaking? Is there any hiking? Or maybe renting a car to drive the area?

Thanks!

Katherine

Are you adventurous enough to consider a float plane over Misty Fjords? It really is beautiful.

There's always the.... Duck tour!

Mary

Are you adventurous enough to consider a float plane over Misty Fjords? It really is beautiful.

There's always the.... Duck tour!

Mary

LOL Mary,

I think I am too chicken for the float plane :D but want a bit more action than a duck tour! How about something in between!?!?!

LOL Mary,

I think I am too chicken for the float plane :D but want a bit more action than a duck tour! How about something in between!?!?!

Some friends took this excursion and really liked it:

Rainforest Island Adventure

Join an experienced Alaska trail guide for a walk through the unspoiled natural beauty of the coastal rainforest on a remote island in the Tongass National Forest.

SCENIC CRUISE

A motorized inflatable Seahawk provides a short, exciting cruise along the coast of Clover Passage. Whales, Steller sea lions, harbor seals, bald eagles and migrating seabirds may be spotted along the route.

RAINFOREST WALK

After landing at a secluded beach, follow your guide through the ancient forest and learn about botanical species native to this region, like the Western red cedar and yellow cedar that early Natives depended on for spiritual enrichment, shelter and transportation. The trail is mostly boardwalk, well maintained and about one mile in length. After hiking the gently sloped, historic route, enjoy an Alaska-style snack. Then take some time to explore the nature beauty around you before the return trip to Ketchikan.

Visit bestofalaskatours.com/PRINCESS for more details.

If you want something a little more strenuous, there is a bike ride or ziplining....

For us, the port to take a drive would be Skagway. We've never driven to Emerald Lake and may do so this trip. We have taken the train as well as a float trip and a bicycle ride. All are really good adventures.

Our favorite in Juneau (aside from the Tracy Arm small boat excursion) is whale watching...

Mary

LOL Mary,

Katherine

On Host Anne's live report on the Princess board, I see you asked about sailing the Inside Passage. It is my understanding we'll sail the Inside Passage from Vancouver, but return via the open waters to Victoria and then on to Seattle.... One of the benefits of this itinerary is we get to do both...

Is this what everyone else understands?

Mary

Texas and Florida .... not so hot! Go, TCU!!!!

NBCSports.com's Preseason Top 25

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. TCU

4. Oklahoma

5. Oregon

6. Miami

7. Boise State

8. Nebraska

9. Florida

10. Wisconsin

11. Texas

12. Virginia Tech

13. Iowa 14. Pittsburgh

15. North Carolina

16. Arkansas

17. Florida State

18. USC

19. West Virginia

20. Auburn

21. Utah

22. Penn State

23. Notre Dame

24. Georgia Tech

25. LSU

Here's the article:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/19945658/ns/sports-college_football/

Katherine

On Host Anne's live report on the Princess board, I see you asked about sailing the Inside Passage. It is my understanding we'll sail the Inside Passage from Vancouver, but return via the open waters to Victoria and then on to Seattle.... One of the benefits of this itinerary is we get to do both...

Is this what everyone else understands?

Mary

Thanks! I LOVE the inside passage and feel sorry for those folks who sail the Sapphire and not only miss Glacier Bay but the whole IP view too! I remember that being a highlight of the whole cruise for us in 2002.

In the past I have read that some of those cruises DO head into the IP unexpectedly and that's a nice bonus when it happens, but I like to know that it's preplanned. :)

I cannot wait for our cruise!!! I am cutting and pasting all your great suggestions into a Word document so I can start planning the excursions. Does anyone know when we can sign up on Princess.com for excursions? I haven't tried in a while.

OH, we are still GTY on our coastal cruise preceeding this cruise on the Sapphire. It's a PH suite GTY but the category is totally sold out. I wonder what will happen! ;)

Katherine

Thanks! I LOVE the inside passage and feel sorry for those folks who sail the Sapphire and not only miss Glacier Bay but the whole IP view too! I remember that being a highlight of the whole cruise for us in 2002.

In the past I have read that some of those cruises DO head into the IP unexpectedly and that's a nice bonus when it happens, but I like to know that it's preplanned. :)

I cannot wait for our cruise!!! I am cutting and pasting all your great suggestions into a Word document so I can start planning the excursions. Does anyone know when we can sign up on Princess.com for excursions? I haven't tried in a while.

OH, we are still GTY on our coastal cruise preceeding this cruise on the Sapphire. It's a PH suite GTY but the category is totally sold out. I wonder what will happen! ;)

Katherine

Did you read Host Anne's description of their day in Glacier Bay? It is such a wonderful day... no just the glaciers, but the entire experience.

You have the GS on our cruise, right? That should make Glacier Bay and cruising the Inside Passage even better! Watching the sun set from an aft balcony/deck while cruising the Inside Passage is priceless.

Mary

Today I booked us on the Noordam, Oct. 5, 2011. Greek Isles R/T from Rome. Hope to stay several days in Rome pre-cruise.

It's a LONG way off and don't know if we'll really get to go, but it's one of my "must do" trips...

Here's hoping....:D

Today I booked us on the Noordam, Oct. 5, 2011. Greek Isles R/T from Rome. Hope to stay several days in Rome pre-cruise.

It's a LONG way off and don't know if we'll really get to go, but it's one of my "must do" trips...

Wow, congrats! October 2011 isn't that far off either :D

I have only done a 12 night RT from Barcelona which didn't include Greece so I'm hoping I get there on a future trip!

Wow thats fantastic Mary, congrats. Our next one after the Golden is going to be a Mediterranean. Figure thats the best way for us to see all the stops in Italy. My wife has been clamoring to go back to Barcelona, so I'll probably try to kill two birds with one stone:)

We have the Ruby booked for Oct 2011 out of Rome doing the Greek Isles, and then a crossing back to FLL. Great minds think alike - we are planning to arrive in Rome five days before we sail to see the sights. DH bought me an Italian language course yesterday......and it seems to me I should learn a bit more Greek than the alphabet and how to say "goodnight" or order pastry. Looks like Rosetta Stone for Greek is on my calendar as well.

Thanks for all the "congrats". I am exicted as this will be our first time to Rome and Greece... cruising or a land based vacation. Hopefully the ecomomic situation in Greece will be better in a year and have less of an impact on tourism.

ggprincess... I'd love to share your plans, but can't be away from work that long... I'm jealous!!! Who knows, our ports may overlap and we can wave at each other.

I usually purchase Future Cruise Deposits while onboard and wonder if it's worth it. In this instance, it definitely was... The standard deposit would have been $1,200 pp....Ouch! I am really glad I spent $100 a few years ago that I can use now! Even with a reduced deposit sale, the Future Cruise Deposit is well worth it.

It's supposed to be 100 degrees or more here this weekend. We are very lucky. It has been rainy and moderate this summer.

My husband's birthday is Monday so I'm sure we'll celebrate with a nice dinner out tomorrow evening. Time really flies, doesn't it? We'll be discussing holiday plans before long.

Mary

We have the Ruby booked for Oct 2011 out of Rome doing the Greek Isles, and then a crossing back to FLL. Great minds think alike - we are planning to arrive in Rome five days before we sail to see the sights. DH bought me an Italian language course yesterday......and it seems to me I should learn a bit more Greek than the alphabet and how to say "goodnight" or order pastry. Looks like Rosetta Stone for Greek is on my calendar as well.

Oooh I have been watching that cruise to Rome and then back to FLL since it was first announced!! I so wanted to do it but I just can't get DH to agree. He has so limited vacation time. :( I can't wait till my older DD is old enough to be a travel companion so I can drag her along. Although she'll be in school forever, it seems. Waaah!

My parents refuse to cruise (dad thinks superwaves swallow up cruise ships one a month!). My sister thinks cruising is sitting around and doing nothing but eating. My BFF has vertigo and won't get near the ocean. HELP!

Katherine

Mary, we did a 16-day Galveston to Rome (Grand Princess) cruise several years ago that was fabulous. We stayed over in Rome a couple of days and had organized some private tours with others on the same cruise. We had a wonderful time. I don't know what the arrangements are now, but at the time we sailed you could arrange entrance to the Vatican museums/St Peters, etc by making a reservation 30 days prior to the date of your visit. Otherwise there were long lines with waits of a couple of hours. Definitely something you might want to investigate. We simply showed our reservation letter to a guard at one of the side doors and were admitted immediately. The only way to go! You will have a fabulous time, I'm sure!

Oooh I have been watching that cruise to Rome and then back to FLL since it was first announced!! I so wanted to do it but I just can't get DH to agree. He has so limited vacation time. :( I can't wait till my older DD is old enough to be a travel companion so I can drag her along. Although she'll be in school forever, it seems. Waaah!

My parents refuse to cruise (dad thinks superwaves swallow up cruise ships one a month!). My sister thinks cruising is sitting around and doing nothing but eating. My BFF has vertigo and won't get near the ocean. HELP!

Katherine

Adopt me, please. :D

Seriously, I feel your pain. We are only getting to the fall Med cruise and crossing next year, as DH couldn't travel in the fall for such long periods due to job responsibilities at that time of year. grrr......

Luckily, DH and I both agree that retirement aboard a cruise ship would be the ideal. I would be happy to help to change your sis's misconceptions about cruising. After all, the med cruise is very port intensive, so daily exhaustion is guaranteed. And, I can tell her who to bribe so she isn't force fed while on board....and if she is real cheap about that kind of thing a little index card with NO! written on it works great as a reminder, too. :)

My parents will cruise, but only for limited amounts of time at specific times of year, otherwise it interferes with their golf, bridge and social life ashore. Sheeesh!

So, since you won't adopt me (and I am already going) how about 2nd or 3rd BFF? The offer to work your sister over is still good - I can be quite persuasive.

Ginger

I usually purchase Future Cruise Deposits while onboard and wonder if it's worth it. In this instance, it definitely was... The standard deposit would have been $1,200 pp....Ouch! I am really glad I spent $100 a few years ago that I can use now! Even with a reduced deposit sale, the Future Cruise Deposit is well worth it.

Mary

Mary, tell me more about what the future cruise deposit covers. I always book under the reduced deposit sale ($100pp) and get variouse amounts of OBC so I don't know if they are worth buying. :confused:

Mary, tell me more about what the future cruise deposit covers. I always book under the reduced deposit sale ($100pp) and get variouse amounts of OBC so I don't know if they are worth buying. :confused:

A reduced deposit wasn't available for my booking... Glad I didn't have to pay $1,200 (total, not per person as I previously said). I'm sure I would have waited to book rather than deposit $1,200.

Mary

Mary, we did a 16-day Galveston to Rome (Grand Princess) cruise several years ago that was fabulous. We stayed over in Rome a couple of days and had organized some private tours with others on the same cruise. We had a wonderful time. I don't know what the arrangements are now, but at the time we sailed you could arrange entrance to the Vatican museums/St Peters, etc by making a reservation 30 days prior to the date of your visit. Otherwise there were long lines with waits of a couple of hours. Definitely something you might want to investigate. We simply showed our reservation letter to a guard at one of the side doors and were admitted immediately. The only way to go! You will have a fabulous time, I'm sure!

I have a great deal of research to do... Glad I have plenty of time! This is all new for me and will have to read, read, read...

Plus, I'll have to grab FF tickets as soon as they become available this October. I hope I can accomplish that!

Mary

A reduced deposit wasn't available for my booking... Glad I didn't have to pay $1,200 (total, not per person as I previously said). I'm sure I would have waited to book rather than deposit $1,200.

Mary

Mary, the $100 deposit promotions that the TA run are good for any sailing - no matter how many days. Margie and I just moved to the Sapphire Princess to Hawaii and took advantage of this month's promotion week with our TA (who has one once a month). Good to know for future cruises that you may want to plan ;)

Mary, the $100 deposit promotions that the TA run are good for any sailing - no matter how many days. Margie and I just moved to the Sapphire Princess to Hawaii and took advantage of this month's promotion week with our TA (who has one once a month). Good to know for future cruises that you may want to plan ;)

Princess appears to have more reduced deposit promos than HAL... At least IMO. The pricing obtained on the Noordam was substantially less than a comparable cabin and itinerary on Princess. I like both lines and have always wanted to sail on the Noordam... have heard very positive reviews. Using the FCD worked-out great. Plus I received a $125 OBC from HAL in addtion to the OBC offered by the TA as part of their promo.

I didn't have a FCD placed with Princess for this sailing .... the deposit was 10% of the total cruise amount. That is half of the typical 20% requirement, but more than $100 pp. I could have waited for a sale, but wanted to take advantage of pricing and cabin availability. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future! Thanks....

The bigger issue for the Noordam sailing was purchasing travel insurance. Especially for longer, more expensive salings, I like to purchase Cancel For Any Reason Coverage. Requires purchasing within 14 - 21 days after initial deposit. Analyzing the options is a little mind boggling....

Mary

The bigger issue for the Noordam sailing was purchasing travel insurance. Especially for longer, more expensive salings, I like to purchase Cancel For Any Reason Coverage. Requires purchasing within 14 - 21 days after initial deposit. Analyzing the options is a little mind boggling....

Mary

Its funny you mention insurance Mary. Megan and I have never used it before, because all of our cruises have left locally, and we always go down to MIA, etc a couple days early. Last week sometime, I got to wondering what would happen if we had some sort of air fiasco and didn't make it. I have bad memories of a trip to New York which wound up not happening due to two canceled flights. I researched Travel Guard and Travel Insured, but you're right they both require 21 days after deposit for "any reason," and their coverage appeared to only apply airline issues if there was a strike..no weather or equipment problems. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Long story short, I went on Princess and added their coverage. I figure at a worst case scenario I'll get a future credit of 75%, and I'd rather have that than be out all of the $3k...

Archived