Spirit Airlines?????

RedskinsCruiser2010

Unless they have changed in the past 6 months, Spirit's customer service policy is via email only. At least they are honest enough to state that; their phone lines are for reservations only. Any other issues must be handled via email, and they eliminated their dedicated CS staff more than a year ago. Other employess take care of CS email time permitting.

If there's a flight delay or cancellation the only choice is the "next available" Spirit flight. You will not be booked onto another airlines' flight and the next Spirit flight may be days later depending on the route (a common problem with low-cost carriers, not just Spirit).

Last comment, their pilots have threatened a strike though it may be the usual union saber-rattling.

All this said, if everything goes as planned Spirit has some good fares.

Sargent_Schultz: Thanks, I know they charge extra but when I compaired SW and Spirit flights with all the "extras", Spirit came to be $125 less than SW. They are charging for carryone if it does not fit under the seat. I will just have a tote bag and my boyfriend will not have anything but his wallet (or a bookbag if I can talk him into actually holding some stuff LOL)

kenish: I am worried about the strike you mentioned and I wonder why I have not heard to much about it in the news. If I do decide to use Spirit then I will be on the first flight to MIA (so if there is any cancellation I got 2 more flights that they take that I guess I could get on :confused:)

Thanks everyone for the advice

I would never fly with them again the way we were treated. We flew from Grand Cayman to NY. When we checked into at GC, they said that they didn't have my husband in the computer despite the fact that I had a print out of his reservation in my hand. She put him on and warned that we may have problems at our connection in Florida. When we arrived in Fl. they wouldn't put him through as they couldn't find him in the computer. We missed our connection and when the woman at the desk called the gate to tell them we were coming, the person at the gate said too bad, they gate person radio'ed back that we should have allowed more time for our connection. I was steaming as they booked this timing and we had a reservation and they lost my husbands reservation, not me.

They were rude and totally unaccomodating.

They don't fly to GC any longer, but I am not going to risk another trip on them.

Has anyone flown on Spirit Airlines? They have some decent prices but there are not alot of reviews out there on them :confused:. Thanks

It you read the reviews at the various airline sites on the web, you will see that the general view of Spirit is very negative. Negative about serious things (losing baggage, bad customer support, etc.) not minor silliness.

I would not fly them regardless of the cost differential. In fact, when the revolution comes, it is toss-up which will be outlawed first: light beer or Spirit Airlines.

We use Spirit often because they are the major airline from where we live to many destinations-including where our family lives. Their customer service is non existent but their prices are usually good-especially if you belong to their $9 club. We generally have not had serious issues with the flights, but I know people who have had problems. It's "hit or miss" because the flights are limited, especially at certain times of the year.

I too fly Spirit all the time because I am 25 minutes away and their parking is cheaper than Newark and Atlantic City is a nice small airport. I have never even had a late flight from there. And out of Ft. Lauderdale and Myrtle Beach where I generally take them to I also never had a problem. I am taking them to Nassau in September and the rates were quite a bit less than if I would have driven to Philly, Newark or JFK so we'll see how that plays out. I'm p.o'd that they are charging for carry ons thought.

Well I would be flying from DCA (National Airport) to FLL. I am still undecided about it. I love SW but I'm just trying to save some $$ so that when we get to MIA we can sightsee and eat at some nice places. Soon as the air is taken care of then I am finally done. Been planning this since Dec. last year and prices for flights have gone up so much.

Right now, I would spend the extra money to fly SW and not Spirit. Their pilots will be going on strike June 12 if they do not get their contract. If they go on strike, you'll end up being out of more money anyways having to make alternate travel arrangements.

Right now, I would spend the extra money to fly SW and not Spirit. Their pilots will be going on strike June 12 if they do not get their contract. If they go on strike, you'll end up being out of more money anyways having to make alternate travel arrangements.

I note this on Travelguard's webpage today:

Airlines

No coverage for strike after this date:

British Airways 02/21/2010

Greece General Strike 04/26/2010

Spirit Airlines 05/11/2010

Air Tran 05/18/2010

American Airlines 05/19/2010

It may be a very good idea to pass on Spirit; I can't believe TG is the only company that will not cover travel after this date.

I flew with Spirit recently to Peru and never again!!!

Its true it was a cheap flight but we almost starved to death. A cup of Oodles of Noodles was $10 ( you can get a 12 pack of them for $2, here in the States.

On the way back, the main stop was Fort Lauderdale, our baggage was so badly handled. It was all over the place and at different belts and on the floor, it was like someone stopped the belt from functioning and ALL the baggage was piled up and tumbled around. It took me a good hour to find my bag. When I asked why the place was so unorganized, one of their own employees stated " that's what you get for flying cheap" Can you believe it?

I would rather fly SWAir. Just my HO

I flew with Spirit recently to Peru and never again!!!

Its true it was a cheap flight but we almost starved to death. A cup of Oodles of Noodles was $10 ( you can get a 12 pack of them for $2, here in the States.

On the way back, the main stop was Fort Lauderdale, our baggage was so badly handled. It was all over the place and at different belts and on the floor, it was like someone stopped the belt from functioning and ALL the baggage was piled up and tumbled around. It took me a good hour to find my bag. When I asked why the place was so unorganized, one of their own employees stated " that's what you get for flying cheap" Can you believe it?

I would rather fly SWAir. Just my HO

I find it hard to take your complaints seriously.

Why didn't you eat BEFORE you got on the plane??? You KNEW it was going to be a fairly long flight. And if you read anything about your flight before you boarded, you would KNOW there was no food for free and little in the way of "pay for" food.

Good luck getting to Peru (or for that matter, anyplace outside the Continental USA) on WN.

kenish: I am worried about the strike you mentioned and I wonder why I have not heard to much about it in the news. If I do decide to use Spirit then I will be on the first flight to MIA (so if there is any cancellation I got 2 more flights that they take that I guess I could get on :confused:)

You are betting that there will be enough seats on the 2 following flights to get you to port on time. Depending on the day of the week, the season (e.g. Spring Break), and the number of cruise passengers flocking to MIA that day, it may be an unsafe assumption your entire traveling party is "covered". I don't know how Spirit prioritizes accomodation of distressed passengers but you may not be first in line for rebooking. This is an issue on any airline, but more so with carriers where other airlines' flights are not an option (unless you want to buy a walk-up ticket on your own) and where their own flights have very few vacant seats. On Southwest or legacy airlines you are paying to reduce the downside risk.

Also keep in mind a strike could be the demise of the company (it's happened before); then you're forced to buy a much more expensive fare as well as probably losing the money paid to Spirit.

Summary- If things go as planned (which they probably will unless Spirit strikes), you are getting a good deal. If anything goes sideways you will very likely miss your cruise unless you're willing to pay full "walk-up" fare on another airline or leave home early enough to drive to MIA as a last resort.

I note this on Travelguard's webpage today:

Airlines

No coverage for strike after this date:

British Airways 02/21/2010

Greece General Strike 04/26/2010

Spirit Airlines 05/11/2010

Air Tran 05/18/2010

American Airlines 05/19/2010

It may be a very good idea to pass on Spirit; I can't believe TG is the only company that will not cover travel after this date.

I couldn't help but notice that American is on your list. :eek:

Significant because it is a major airline. Or so I was led to believe.

Still unclear what your meaning is. Major or minor airline is not relevant. This is simply Travelguard's notice that they will not cover a loss caused by these airlines for strikes for coverage with an effective date after these cutoff dates. To be covered, you had to have purchased your insurance policy before these dates.

Still unclear what your meaning is. Major or minor airline is not relevant. This is simply Travelguard's notice that they will not cover a loss caused by these airlines for strikes for coverage with an effective date after these cutoff dates. To be covered, you had to have purchased your insurance policy before these dates.

In a nutshell it means I don't consider American Airlines to be a reliable airline for future travel. I knew most of the others had issues.

In a nutshell it means I don't consider American Airlines to be a reliable airline for future travel. I knew most of the others had issues.

I think American is on the list because the groundworkers still are in contract negotiations ... and may strike if the workers and American cannot come to an agreement and if the unions can be released from mediation.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons would say, "WORST AIRLINE EVER!" I am constantly looking for cheap prices for anything. But, I will never even consider Spirit again. They have horrible customer service, they lost our luggage twice, they would change flight times weekly.

We live 45 minutes from Atlantic City and it would be so convenient to fly with them, but we don't.

I flew Spirit LAX-FLL last November the weekend after Thanksgiving with no problems. My son flies them in and out of Detroit if they are the cheapest. And, we are booked one way FLL-SJU in April.

We'll see what I think after April!!

Archived