Just off the Diamond from Beijing to Vancouver

jowahe

I've been wanting to do to a Asia or Sydney, primarily the Sydney option, to the west coast cruise for a number of years now. Other than a Med - T/A itinerary, this is my favorite. Can't convince my DW however, to leave our beloved Misha in the kennel for that long.....:(:(:(

Bob

I've been wanting to do to a Asia or Sydney, primarily the Sydney option, to the west coast cruise for a number of years now. Other than a Med - T/A itinerary, this is my favorite. Can't convince my DW however, to leave our beloved Misha in the kennel for that long.....:(:(:(

Bob

I understand about not leaving your "kid with fur" in a kennel!! Our DD (dear dog, in our case!) would go completely "bonkers". We have "pet sitters/house sitters" who come and stay at our house to 1) take care of the dog and bird and 2) just be sure the house is A-OK while we are gone. We are lucky enough to have found friends who are willing to do this...they have a 1) daughter and 2) a grand-son leaving with them...so for them it is like a "vacation" when they come stay here. I know that we are lucky with this type of arrangement...but you might consider trying to find the son/daughter of a friend who would want to stay in your home or perhaps a college student who you could "vet" with the College of the Desert to stay. Good luck...and hope you find a way to keep Misha happy at home while you are away! LuAnn

Norovirus seem to have been a problem for the Diamond Princess throughout the winter. There was an outbreak on our friends Bangkok-Beijing cruise in Oct/November. It cropped up on our Beijing- Bangkok cruise in March April.

Could there be a carrier amongst the crew?

Cb

Re: Winter clothing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. What you need to do is dress in layers. As someone from Canada, the great white north, I find a long sleeve T shirt, a light weight sweater and a light jacket is usually enough when the temp is just above freezing. If you are wearing too much you will overheat and tire out during tours. The temperatures through the Bering Sea were just above freezing during our crossing but we were on board ship so it didn't matter what it was like outside. On the ship it was icey around the outside pool and quite cool walking on the Calypso Deck from the elevators to the Horizon Court. A sweater or light jacket is needed. We were in a mini suite on the Dolphin deck and found the floor to be cold because we were over the lifeboats and had open space below us. We also needed to have our thermostat repaired as the cabin wasn't heating up properly at first. Making sure you have warm slippers and sleepware is probably a good idea. Bring a hat and raingear for Whittier and Vladivostok tours and you will be fine.

Lazydaz

Thanks for that! The problem with that is that I don't really own much in the way of sweaters and coats. I did pick up a couple of Calvin Klein coats in Las Vegas last March so they will come in handy, but they are dress coats. I have just sent for a 3/4 thicker coat from Lands End in USA. Just waiting for it to arrive. My biggest problem is that I can't tolerate the cold as we live in the tropics. You come from Canada and are more used to the cold so probably don't feel it like I do. But never fear, I will be doing as you suggested and dressing in layers, probably just a few more layers than you are used to..... :)

When I saw your header I thought "Goody" because I am on that cruise next year. I suppose I presumed too much and thought it was a review. How wrong was I! :eek:

I suppose it was good for you to get that off your chest.

Can someone please write a proper review of this cruise??????

e

we were all wrong too! even if there Are problems it does not mean That the cruise was bad

another person who thinks the world owes them. Againm i could be wro

g. Too many complaints! if you cant take it stay home!

We boarded the Diamond on April 14, 2010 in Bangkok and as far as

we know there was no Noro at that time. We first heard of the Noro

Virus being on board about 4 days after leaving Bejing. The incubation

period being around 3 days would tend to indicate it was picked up

in Bejing.

The cost of the visa for Viet Nam will be charged to your shipboard

account.

Several of the folks in our CC group, including us, received excellent

service from a company in D.C. for less cost than other services.

If anyone is interested in the name of this firm please send me a Email

klema@earthlink.net

I will release you from my spam blocker if you mention this post.

Carolyn (also known as DW) and I have been cruise addicts for over 25 yrs.- so only listing our future cruises

33 cruises on Princess and somewhere around 13 on other lines. (HAL mostly)

Is the flamingo elite yet?

Eileen, I picked up a great coat/jacket on board Diamond Princess last year when I was on this cruise. It kept me warm with layers underneath and only cost me $50.I had taken leather jackets with me but they tended to keep the cold in. I found that we Aussies were freezing in Vladiivostok whereas many of the US citizens were quite comfortable - and we did not have the snow that this year's cruise had. We picked up thermal underwear and gortex gloves on special at Rebel Sports half way through the ski season but not sure if they sell this up there. We also took thick socks, good beanies and scarves. Lightweight (very warm but light to wear and to pack) ski jumpers were also bought at that time of year on sale at Rebel Sportsand also at Kathmandu and The Great Outdoors camping stores. Just contact me for any help as I am happy to share. I was sorry to miss you on Sun Princess.

Jen

Archived