Just off the Diamond from Beijing to Vancouver

jowahe

The norovirus hit while we were still in Asia and lasted whole cruise. Ship took lots of precautions -- reminder to constantly wash hands, food handling was done only by staff, constant scrubbing of public areas, etc. However, there was lots of coughing and sneezing in public areas (lounges, showrooms, etc.) with nothing said to remind pax to cover mouths -- nothing in the Patter about this common courtesy, either.

On required "operational" 1-night stay in Beijing, we had no luggage! Princess said nothing about this in any of the pre-cruise documents or booking information. Only when we arrived at Beijing International airport did our Chinese guides say that our luggage would be sent directly from the airport to the Ship and we would not have access to it while at the hotel.

On coach transfer from Beijing hotel to Ship located in Xingang (3 hour trip) our bus driver got lost and couldn't figure out where the ship was located. After passing the same monuments and markers several times, we complained to the Chinese guide who finally got off the bus and hired a taxi for the bus driver to follow to the harbor.

Debarkation in Vancouver was very hectic. Standing in long, long lines while waiting for coaches to airport. Luggage had been sent to airport by truck, but coach dropped us passengers about a mile from where luggage was located. After locating our luggage it was another mile walk to check-in gates at airline, then another long process of going thru security, customs, and immigration procedures, then another long walk to the departure gate. If anyone has mobility problems, by all means request wheelchair assistance.

Princess also provided a transfer from ship to Seattle airport. This was not publicized when I booked 6 months ago, or that would have been my choice. Couldn't change air plans when I learned about this alternative transfer. Airfare would have been cheaper from Seattle to LAX than from Vancouver, too.

Cruise ports were interesting and I'm glad I went on this cruise, but the above problems should not have happened.

When I saw your header I thought "Goody" because I am on that cruise next year. I suppose I presumed too much and thought it was a review. How wrong was I! :eek:

I suppose it was good for you to get that off your chest.

Can someone please write a proper review of this cruise??????

Hi Jowahe, we are doing this cruise next year and I would like to know if you had to arrange your own Visa for the visit to Vladivostok (Russia) or was this organized on board the ship by Princess?

I have been told that it can take over 2 months to organize a single entry Russian Visa so I want to be prepared if necessary.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

The overall cruise was a worthwhile adventure. We knew in advance that our luggage would be transferred to the airport upon our arrival in Beijing so only took an overnight bag to the hotel. The bus trip to Xingang the next day was like a keystone cops adventure with everyone going in different directions. The road to the port suddenly dead ended in Xingang because of road construction and no detour route was given. We were travelling in a convoy of about six Princess buses and suddenly were forced to turn around and find another route in a large city. After much frustration trying to find their way around, the buses separated and went their own way. Our guide (and from my understanding the guides on some of the other buses as well) told the bus driver to stop when he spotted a taxi, then the guide ran over to the taxi, hopped in and our bus followed the taxi. We were fine and eventually reached the Diamond Princess after a trip about an hour longer than it should have been. We were the first to arrive, some of the others were hours later including one that lost the taxi they were trying to follow. Because of the road construction some people who took a private taxi from Beijing found their drivers became lost and they were stuck with huge taxi bills or worse yet, I heard some had missed the boat.

Anyway, we were finally off and running and impressed with the beautiful ship. We had a mini suite on the port side so enjoyed good views throughout the trip. Our Princess excursions were okay, rainy weather did interfere with some of the enjoyment unfortunately, particularly in Valadivostak. Our bus was too steamed up because of the rain to see out the windows and our tour guides tried to be enthusiastic as they wrung the water out of their jackets. Our stop in Pusan was delayed by heavy fog so we were not able to dock until three in the afternoon. Our morning tour was changed to afternoon and extended into the evening with enthusiastic Korean tour guides. I was glad we had booked our tours through Princess as they were able to make the time adjustments for the delayed South Korea stop and it was a tour I was particularly looking forward to. Our all day tour to Sapporo was also very good. We were dropped off in Sapporo for three hours on our own and had a most enjoyable time exploring.

Finally, we left Japan and headed across the Pacific. During our time in Asia we put our clocks ahead or back every day (I think there were four or five changes), then during the crossing we put the clocks ahead one hour every day. When we reached the International Date Line it was like Ground Hog Day, we got up in the morning and it was Monday, May 10 and when we got up the next morning it was Monday, May 10 all over again. By the time we reached Whittier we had changed our watches six times and added a day. The crossing was smoother than I expected although I noticed on the captain's log that the ship went up into the Bering Sea to avoid a storm. I took gravol just to be on the safe side.

The norovirus did put a damper on things. As someone who has cruised many times and never been sick, one night I found myself visiting the great white bowl in the middle of the night. My attack was short lived but I reported it and was placed under quarantine for two days and only offered an unappetizing bland diet which excluded fruit, dairy products, fatty foods, vegetables and coffee. Although I felt fine I was not allowed to have anything to eat that wasn't on the gastro menu. The offerings were so unappetizing to me that for two days I lived on jello and half a piece of cold, dry toast while DH was able to go to the dining room. Our room was not tidied up during this time and the only staff I saw was a man with a mask who came in twice a day to sterilize the bathroom. My contact with the medical office was by telephone. I was glad I was in a mini suite and could look out onto the balcony. Some people who were sick were stuck in their inside cabins during their quarantine. I think it would have been nice if Princess had presented a more appetizing looking tray of the allowable foods, oatmeal without milk and cold dry toast just doesn't do it for me.

I was out of quarantine in time for Whittier but it was raining heavily so we stayed on the ship. The next two days were spent cruising the glaciers and the sun came out and made for beautiful days. The weather also cooperated for Skagway and Juneau and so we had some enjoyable days of sightseeing.

Overall comments: I felt the trip across the Pacific was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am glad we took the cruise. Because we did not have assigned dining, we ended up eating all our meals in the Horizon Court rather than worry about lineups in the unassigned dining rooms. The food in the Horizon Court was very good and with all the time changes, we found we preferred being able to eat when we wanted rather than following set times for meals. Because we ate in the Horizon Court we also bypassed the formal nights and spent those evenings in our cabin.

DH uses a walker and we found the cabin doors to be narrower than on other cruiselines so going in and out of our cabin was always a challenge.

Travel is always hard work as well as pleasure. I do feel this is an itinerary that anyone who enjoys cruising would love.

Lazydaz

HAL New Amsterdam 1994 Alaska

HAL New Amsterdam 1995 New Orleans/Vancouver

RCL 1995 Caribbean

Nile Riverboat cruise 1995

HAL Noordam 1997 Alaska

Royal Olympic 1998 Rio/Athens

Commodore Cruise Line 1999 Caribbean

NCL Sun 2004 New Orleans/Vancouver

NCL Jade 2008 Europe/Great Britain

NCL Jewel 2008 Baltic

Yangtze Riverboat cruise 2009

HAL Statendam 2009 Ft. Lauderdale/San Diego

Diamond Princess 2010 Beijing/Vancouver

NCL Sun 2010 Caribbean (upcoming)

Thank you Lazydaz. The weather sounds like it was not the best. Sorry you contracted the norovirus and were confined to your cabin. Was it very widespread, because I had a friend onboard and she didn't even mention that it was going around, so I was a bit surprised when johawe said it was onboard for the whole trip.

Did you arrange your own visas? I believe the Chinese ones are expensive and take quite a bit of time to get. Like diecastaussie, I would like to know about the Russian ones too. (You might have guessed, we are on the cruise together, well not together, but at the same time.... you know what I mean LOL)

Thank you Lazydaz. The weather sounds like it was not the best. Sorry you contracted the norovirus and were confined to your cabin. Was it very widespread' date=' because I had a friend onboard and she didn't even mention that it was going around, so I was a bit surprised when johawe said it was onboard for the whole trip.

Did you arrange your own visas? I believe the Chinese ones are expensive and take quite a bit of time to get. Like diecastaussie, I would like to know about the Russian ones too. (You might have guessed, we are on the cruise together, well not together, but at the same time.... you know what I mean LOL)[/quote']

Obtaining a VISA for China is different for Canadians and Americans. We are in Canada and had our TA arrange for ours. We have been in Russia twice and did not have a VISA. We were told that it was not necessary if you were on an excursion, only if you went on shore on your own.

The norovirus was quite widespread and the captain made announcements about it directly to the cabins. In the Horizon Court you could no longer pick up your own plates or pour your own coffee. Most of the people who got it had been eating in the Horizon Court.

Something I forgot to mention earlier was our Princess excursion in Dalian. We went to visit a Chinese home and a meat and produce market. Both were great insights into Chinese living and I highly recommend the tour. Because we had been in China previously, we did not spend any time in Beijing. However, it really is a must see city and worth at least three or four days.

Lazydaz

The norovirus did put a damper on things. As someone who has cruised many times and never been sick, one night I found myself visiting the great white bowl in the middle of the night. My attack was short lived but I reported it and was placed under quarantine for two days and only offered an unappetizing bland diet which excluded fruit, dairy products, fatty foods, vegetables and coffee. Although I felt fine I was not allowed to have anything to eat that wasn't on the gastro menu. The offerings were so unappetizing to me that for two days I lived on jello and half a piece of cold, dry toast while DH was able to go to the dining room. Our room was not tidied up during this time and the only staff I saw was a man with a mask who came in twice a day to sterilize the bathroom. My contact with the medical office was by telephone. I was glad I was in a mini suite and could look out onto the balcony. Some people who were sick were stuck in their inside cabins during their quarantine. I think it would have been nice if Princess had presented a more appetizing looking tray of the allowable foods, oatmeal without milk and cold dry toast just doesn't do it for me.

My experience on Star Princess early this year was similar to yours - a brief attack of one symptom, followed by a visit to the medical office, where a nurse told me it was unlikely I had norovirus, but that public health protocols required I be treated as though I did. I absolutely agree with you about the diet!! We also had a balcony cabin, and I fear I would have gone crazy had I been confined to an inside cabin. What I found most interesting, though, was that a number of our fellow-passengers, upon hearing of my experience after I was released, said they would never report any symptoms. One presumes they'd rather infect the whole ship?

Just a suggestion for this and other questions about this cruise for you who are taking it in the future...we are on this same cruise..going the other direction this coming September. There has been a very active and complete, comprehensive roll call for this cruise that just ended (which the OP was on)...with TONS of fabulous information, ideas, port info, visa info etc. It is a very long thread...but well worth combing through for information! (or use the Search options)

It is my understanding, and that of the CC group just finishing this cruise that you do not need a visa for Vlad....no matter if you are on your own or with a group private tour or with a Princess tour....these are NOT the same rules as would apply to other Russian ports (eg. St. Petes) which are TOTALLY different...it's an apple and an orange! If you are a cruise passenger, just off in Vlad/Russia for less than a day you do not need a visa...now...saying this remember I am talking about US Citizens...don't know about Canadian!!

Do check out that roll call..also our roll call for the 9/10 cruise if additional help!! LuAnn

I would like to know if you had to arrange your own Visa for the visit to Vladivostok (Russia) or was this organized on board the ship by Princess?

Did you arrange your own visas? I believe the Chinese ones are expensive and take quite a bit of time to get. Like diecastaussie' date=' I would like to know about the Russian ones too.[/quote']

Vladivostok is far from St. Petersburg and the procedures here are quite different.

In St.Pete, if you had not obtained a Russian visa on your own, you had to be part of an organized tour, either by Princess or a recognized independent Russian tour company. You could not get off the ship and go out on your own. When you went through an immigration booth, your passport was stamped and you were given a one day card to return when you went back to the ship and through immigration again.

For Vladivostok, anyone can get off the ship, either on your own or with a tour group, without having obtained a visa. For our visit this year, the ship had our passports and they were stamped for entry into Russia. We had to collect them to go ashore and give them back to the ship at the end of the day (and then they were stamped for exiting Russia). We both wondered on our own in the AM and took a ship's tour in the PM. Ni immigration booth was involved.

Also, in Vladivostok, you dock very near downtown, next to the railroad station that is the eastern terminus of the trans-Siberian railway.

Some pictures of Vladivostok are shown below. Click on an image to enlarge.

1781912101_100_1592OceanPrincessinVladivostok.jpg.6cebc30c2ca8f2701d50bb742b70eeb1.jpg

744135507_100_1443UlitsaSvetlanskayanearCentralSquare.jpg.972b0c2c60823dd0892ea7157338929d.jpg

1959333807_100_1444WhiskingawaysnownearCentralSquare.jpg.92b00e9f42ca4f5c2412523ee93f17bf.jpg

1136388136_100_1434StatueofLenin.jpg.60f335b5b879dd8059d098c02c0794aa.jpg

Hi Jowahe, we are doing this cruise next year and I would like to know if you had to arrange your own Visa for the visit to Vladivostok (Russia) or was this organized on board the ship by Princess?

I have been told that it can take over 2 months to organize a single entry Russian Visa so I want to be prepared if necessary.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

I just got off this cruise May 15 and no visa is required for Vlidivostok. Princess arranges the Vietnam one, if you are on the Bangkok to Beijing segment, and you have to get the Chinese one yourself.

Also of interest was our entry into Japan. We lost internet coverage the night before as soon as we entered Japanese territory and it was not regained until we left Japan and were back out in the open sea. Before leaving the ship Japanese customs officials required everyone, even those who were not going ashore to walk through a thermo scanner which was located in one of the lounges, then we were given gangway passes. During the trip internet coverage was usually pretty good with the only major interruptions to service being in the area of Whittier and northern Alaska.

Lazydaz

The overall cruise was a worthwhile adventure. We knew in advance that our luggage would be transferred to the airport upon our arrival in Beijing so only took an overnight bag to the hotel. The bus trip to Xingang the next day was like a keystone cops adventure with everyone going in different directions. The road to the port suddenly dead ended in Xingang because of road construction and no detour route was given. We were travelling in a convoy of about six Princess buses and suddenly were forced to turn around and find another route in a large city. After much frustration trying to find their way around, the buses separated and went their own way. Our guide (and from my understanding the guides on some of the other buses as well) told the bus driver to stop when he spotted a taxi, then the guide ran over to the taxi, hopped in and our bus followed the taxi. We were fine and eventually reached the Diamond Princess after a trip about an hour longer than it should have been. We were the first to arrive, some of the others were hours later including one that lost the taxi they were trying to follow. Because of the road construction some people who took a private taxi from Beijing found their drivers became lost and they were stuck with huge taxi bills or worse yet, I heard some had missed the boat.

Anyway, we were finally off and running and impressed with the beautiful ship. We had a mini suite on the port side so enjoyed good views throughout the trip. Our Princess excursions were okay, rainy weather did interfere with some of the enjoyment unfortunately, particularly in Valadivostak. Our bus was too steamed up because of the rain to see out the windows and our tour guides tried to be enthusiastic as they wrung the water out of their jackets. Our stop in Pusan was delayed by heavy fog so we were not able to dock until three in the afternoon. Our morning tour was changed to afternoon and extended into the evening with enthusiastic Korean tour guides. I was glad we had booked our tours through Princess as they were able to make the time adjustments for the delayed South Korea stop and it was a tour I was particularly looking forward to. Our all day tour to Sapporo was also very good. We were dropped off in Sapporo for three hours on our own and had a most enjoyable time exploring.

Finally, we left Japan and headed across the Pacific. During our time in Asia we put our clocks ahead or back every day (I think there were four or five changes), then during the crossing we put the clocks ahead one hour every day. When we reached the International Date Line it was like Ground Hog Day, we got up in the morning and it was Monday, May 10 and when we got up the next morning it was Monday, May 10 all over again. By the time we reached Whittier we had changed our watches six times and added a day. The crossing was smoother than I expected although I noticed on the captain's log that the ship went up into the Bering Sea to avoid a storm. I took gravol just to be on the safe side.

I was out of quarantine in time for Whittier but it was raining heavily so we stayed on the ship. The next two days were spent cruising the glaciers and the sun came out and made for beautiful days. The weather also cooperated for Skagway and Juneau and so we had some enjoyable days of sightseeing.

Overall comments: I felt the trip across the Pacific was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am glad we took the cruise. Because we did not have assigned dining, we ended up eating all our meals in the Horizon Court rather than worry about lineups in the unassigned dining rooms. The food in the Horizon Court was very good and with all the time changes, we found we preferred being able to eat when we wanted rather than following set times for meals. Because we ate in the Horizon Court we also bypassed the formal nights and spent those evenings in our cabin.

DH uses a walker and we found the cabin doors to be narrower than on other cruiselines so going in and out of our cabin was always a challenge.

Travel is always hard work as well as pleasure. I do feel this is an itinerary that anyone who enjoys cruising would love.

Lazydaz

HAL New Amsterdam 1994 Alaska

HAL New Amsterdam 1995 New Orleans/Vancouver

RCL 1995 Caribbean

Nile Riverboat cruise 1995

HAL Noordam 1997 Alaska

Royal Olympic 1998 Rio/Athens

Commodore Cruise Line 1999 Caribbean

NCL Sun 2004 New Orleans/Vancouver

NCL Jade 2008 Europe/Great Britain

NCL Jewel 2008 Baltic

Yangtze Riverboat cruise 2009

HAL Statendam 2009 Ft. Lauderdale/San Diego

Diamond Princess 2010 Beijing/Vancouver

NCL Sun 2010 Caribbean (upcoming)

Thanks for posting your thoughts.....:):):)

Bob

Enjoyed your comments.

We did similar cruise, Osaka to Vancouver, on the late great Sky Princess, Apr 97, and did enjoy it very much.

We thought Vladivostok somewhat depressing - infrastructure was falling apart, and the citizens had no idea how to improve anything. It was if they were waiting for instructions from Moscow. The Municipal Band did give us a send-off concert when we sailed.

We ran out of fresh veggies and some dairy products before reaching Dutch Harbor, Aleutians. It seems some containers of food did not make it to Osaka before we sailed. In Dutch Harbor, members of the Purser's staff and some Chefs emptied the local food store to replenish the larders.

It was very cold between Vladivostok and the Aleutians, and the outside decks had to be closed due to ice build-up.

All in all, a great cruise with a couple of "speed bumps".

Vladivostok is far from St. Petersburg and the procedures here are quite different.

In St.Pete, if you had not obtained a Russian visa on your own, you had to be part of an organized tour, either by Princess or a recognized independent Russian tour company. You could not get off the ship and go out on your own. When you went through an immigration booth, your passport was stamped and you were given a one day card to return when you went back to the ship and through immigration again.

For Vladivostok, anyone can get off the ship, either on your own or with a tour group, without having obtained a visa. For our visit this year, the ship had our passports and they were stamped for entry into Russia. We had to collect them to go ashore and give them back to the ship at the end of the day (and then they were stamped for exiting Russia). We both wondered on our own in the AM and took a ship's tour in the PM. Ni immigration booth was involved.

Also, in Vladivostok, you dock very near downtown, next to the railroad station that is the eastern terminus of the trans-Siberian railway.

Some pictures of Vladivostok are shown below. Click on an image to enlarge.

Thanks for that. The photos look good, and boy does it look cold. I am in for a shock I think! I am going to have to start buying some winter clothes LOL, don't own any really! I think I am in for an interesting time this cruise..... I have never done a "cold" holiday and live in the tropics so it will be interesting :D

Hi Eileen

My American friend has just got off this cruise too and am waiting for her email about the trip.

We are about to go to Beijing to board Seabourn and the report about the road is a bit of a worry. I think I will email the taxi that I have booked and make sure they know where to go!!

Happy cruising

Merrill

When I saw your header I thought "Goody" because I am on that cruise next year. I suppose I presumed too much and thought it was a review. How wrong was I! :eek:

I suppose it was good for you to get that off your chest.

Can someone please write a proper review of this cruise??????

My wife and I took this cruise a year ago and loved it. The only issue we had involved the entry into Kagoshima. The Japanese officials were very concerned about the recent H1N1 flu outbreak and procedures to minimize the risk of flu being carried ashore were seemingly being developed on-the-fly. This caused a half-day delay in going ashore in Kagoshima. The subsequent port call in Murroran was handled much better.

We were told that because of Japanese law, the ship's Internet connection had to be disabled while in Japanese waters. Otherwise, Internet access was generally available though speed was highly variable.

We really enjoyed the Asian ports. If you've not been to Beijing before, the 3-day Princess pre-cruise package, though very fast paced, is very good.

During the Asian leg of the cruise the ship was only carrying about 2,000 pax. She sailed full on the Alaskan leg.

Weather is unpredictable during the spring. We had excellent weather throughout except for heavy overcast and brief showers in Vladivostok.

We highly recommend this cruise and the Diamond Princess,

Craig

Thanks for that. The photos look good' date=' and boy does it look cold. [/quote']

Actually, we were there during a February "heat wave." When we aarived, it was in the high 20's F, and the snow melted by early afternoon as the temp went to about 35 F.

The week or so before we arrived, the high was about -8 F.

Thanks for that. The photos look good' date=' and boy does it look cold. I am in for a shock I think! I am going to have to start buying some winter clothes LOL, don't own any really! I think I am in for an interesting time this cruise..... I have never done a "cold" holiday and live in the tropics so it will be interesting :D[/quote']

Hi Eileen,

Yes, packing for the variations of weather on our cruise is going to be a challenge. We have been to Asia in May previously and the temperatures can exceed 30C but with very high humidity so all you want is light clothing.

But once you start heading north to Vladivostok and Whittier you will be looking for multi layers and warm coats although the last time we were in Alaska (May 2005) the locals were all wearing shorts and tee shirts (it was 12C - they said it was unseasonably warm) although we still wore our sweaters.

You are right about us poor souls from "Down Under" not coping all that well with the cold, although we Victorians have a bit more experience with the cold than you sunny Queenslanders. Even then, we are "all at sea"(LOL) when it comes to coping with snow - we were in Hamburg in early March this year; -2C and 20cm of snow, makes walking around the city on icy footpaths a very interesting experience, I'm guessing we will get the chance to practise this skill again in Vladivostok next year.:p

Garry

We're on the Diamond now - 3rd day and still being served by the wait staff for brakfast and lunch. No salt/pepper/sugar on tables in the Horizon Court. Have everything on our table for dinner.

We were told not to arrive for embarkation until 2pm but no reason given. We waited in the Seattle Airport until abut 11am to board our transfer to Vancouver. Arrived around 3pm and didn't sail until around 7pm. When we went to the Horizon Court after boarding, we knew right away what the delay was due to. Having all drinks served to you at the HC is the biggest "pain". No problem with having the food served to you. So far there has been no big complaints about all this. No time frame given for going back to "normal".

Cruise has been fine and looking forward to our next two ports.

Hi Eileen

My American friend has just got off this cruise too and am waiting for her email about the trip.

We are about to go to Beijing to board Seabourn and the report about the road is a bit of a worry. I think I will email the taxi that I have booked and make sure they know where to go!!

Happy cruising

Merrill

Lucky you, I wish it was me. Enjoy your cruise.

My wife and I took this cruise a year ago and loved it. The only issue we had involved the entry into Kagoshima. The Japanese officials were very concerned about the recent H1N1 flu outbreak and procedures to minimize the risk of flu being carried ashore were seemingly being developed on-the-fly. This caused a half-day delay in going ashore in Kagoshima. The subsequent port call in Murroran was handled much better.

We were told that because of Japanese law, the ship's Internet connection had to be disabled while in Japanese waters. Otherwise, Internet access was generally available though speed was highly variable.

We really enjoyed the Asian ports. If you've not been to Beijing before, the 3-day Princess pre-cruise package, though very fast paced, is very good.

During the Asian leg of the cruise the ship was only carrying about 2,000 pax. She sailed full on the Alaskan leg.

Weather is unpredictable during the spring. We had excellent weather throughout except for heavy overcast and brief showers in Vladivostok.

We highly recommend this cruise and the Diamond Princess,

Craig

I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this cruise. I haven't been to asia before or Alaska for that matter and can't wait. I think I will adapt to the cold, I will have to, won't I. I suffer really badly with the cold, in fact hate it, so it will be interesting LOL.....

I wonder why the Japanese want the wifi off.... seems a strange thing, especially when they are so technically savvy.

Actually, we were there during a February "heat wave." When we aarived, it was in the high 20's F, and the snow melted by early afternoon as the temp went to about 35 F.

The week or so before we arrived, the high was about -8 F.

Good grief! If it gets below 15 C (59 F) I complain!

Hi Eileen,

Yes, packing for the variations of weather on our cruise is going to be a challenge. We have been to Asia in May previously and the temperatures can exceed 30C but with very high humidity so all you want is light clothing.

But once you start heading north to Vladivostok and Whittier you will be looking for multi layers and warm coats although the last time we were in Alaska (May 2005) the locals were all wearing shorts and tee shirts (it was 12C - they said it was unseasonably warm) although we still wore our sweaters.

You are right about us poor souls from "Down Under" not coping all that well with the cold, although we Victorians have a bit more experience with the cold than you sunny Queenslanders. Even then, we are "all at sea"(LOL) when it comes to coping with snow - we were in Hamburg in early March this year; -2C and 20cm of snow, makes walking around the city on icy footpaths a very interesting experience, I'm guessing we will get the chance to practise this skill again in Vladivostok next year.:p

Garry

I have started getting winter clothes. Of course you can't really buy winter clothes up here. They do bring out long sleeved t-shirts and light cardigans and jumpers. The coats are rare to find and long coats are impossible to find.

So I went online and have found a really nice deep red coloured 3/4 coat at Lands End on special too. It is for -5 to 15 F weather. I hope it will be warm enough. Oh well, layers, layers, layers. Now to find warm gloves and scarfs and beanies and thermal underwear and ugg boots (I have these already, I use them as slippers in winter - hate cold feet!). Thank heavens for the internet.

Just watch out for me in my red coat on the cruise Garry - I won't be hard to find. LOL....

I have started getting winter clothes. Of course you can't really buy winter clothes up here. They do bring out long sleeved t-shirts and light cardigans and jumpers. The coats are rare to find and long coats are impossible to find.

So I went online and have found a really nice deep red coloured 3/4 coat at Lands End on special too. It is for -5 to 15 F weather. I hope it will be warm enough. Oh well' date=' layers, layers, layers. Now to find warm gloves and scarfs and beanies and thermal underwear and ugg boots (I have these already, I use them as slippers in winter - hate cold feet!). Thank heavens for the internet.

Just watch out for me in my red coat on the cruise Garry - I won't be hard to find. LOL....[/quote']

Re: Winter clothing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. What you need to do is dress in layers. As someone from Canada, the great white north, I find a long sleeve T shirt, a light weight sweater and a light jacket is usually enough when the temp is just above freezing. If you are wearing too much you will overheat and tire out during tours. The temperatures through the Bering Sea were just above freezing during our crossing but we were on board ship so it didn't matter what it was like outside. On the ship it was icey around the outside pool and quite cool walking on the Calypso Deck from the elevators to the Horizon Court. A sweater or light jacket is needed. We were in a mini suite on the Dolphin deck and found the floor to be cold because we were over the lifeboats and had open space below us. We also needed to have our thermostat repaired as the cabin wasn't heating up properly at first. Making sure you have warm slippers and sleepware is probably a good idea. Bring a hat and raingear for Whittier and Vladivostok tours and you will be fine.

Lazydaz

I wonder why the Japanese want the wifi off.... seems a strange thing' date=' especially when they are so technically savvy.[/quote']

The claim when we were on a Princess ship there in March was that the Japanese have moved to a newer generation of Internet communication and somehow the ship's satellite Internet communication would interfere with that.

Archived