Advice needed from experienced princess cruisers if possible

debbie1982

I've been a member for a while I love reading your info but this is my first post. My husband, daughter (1year old) and I are going on the Grand on 10th July we booked in April 09 so at the time had our pick of cabins. We have chosen an outside D grade on Plaza P303.

My question is really about the 2 bunks in our cabin I was really upset to find out that they actually stick out from the wall. We have cruised twice with RC but this is our first with Princess. I was nieve enough to think the 3rd/4th berth would be either a sofa bed or bunks that go flush into the wall rather than sticking out. To be honest it is going to be tight as is because we'll have my daughter's travel cot, pram etc I actually burst into tears when I saw a pic (nowhere on princess does it state that these beds are like this).

Anyway my question is does anyone know if we actually had to book a 3rd 4th berth cabin even thought we don't need the beds as my daughter will be in a cot. I have read it might be to do with numbers however I have heard of roll away beds being put into 2 person cabins in which case these cabins would be over occupied so can we? Basically I would like a cabin without these bunks if possible without upgrading to a mini suite as we can't afford this. Do you think I have any leverage with princess to move me as it isn't stated in their brochure?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Debbie :)

quote.gif

Hi Debbie,

I have just had a look at the plan on the Princess website and it looks like a normal outside cabin which takes 4. I haven`t been on the Grand before but normally the two extra beds fold into the ceiling of the cabin.

Where did you see the photo with the bunk coming out of the wall?

I may be wrong but I presume you are from the UK. If so, phone Princess UK or get your TA to do so for you. I am sure they would move you to another equal grade cabin if this is necessary but I don`t think you will need to. They will put your mind at ease about this.

If you are not British someone will give you the US phone number.

Happy cruising.:)

On some Princess ships they fold into the wall or ceiling. On others they are actually attached and fold up flush against the wall, but not into the wall, so they do stick out a bit. We have traveled with four of us in a cabin with that type of arrangement and did not find it a problem at all. It really didn't take up that much extra space. If the Grand is the same as the Golden and Star, I do believe if memory serves me correctly that the bunks do not fold into the wall but are on the outside. But again, for us it wasn't a big deal.

The beds were def up in the pic and I found a video on you tube of the same kind of cabin as ours seems to be only Grand as she's an older ship :confused: Phoned Princess and they couldn't tell me I'm now waiting on them emailing the hotel manager on board and getting back to me. I'm 99% sure though from the research I've done over the last few days. One person said they moved the beds against one wall to avoid bumping their shoulder getting into bed- doesn't really sound like a luxury :cool: I'm just upset as we've paid £3000 (just under $4500) for a cabin that is going to be smaller than a normal one. We normally don't spend that much time on our cabin but having a little one this time we'll have to.

Thanks though guys for trying to help :o

The beds were def up in the pic and I found a video on you tube of the same kind of cabin as ours seems to be only Grand as she's an older ship :confused: Phoned Princess and they couldn't tell me I'm now waiting on them emailing the hotel manager on board and getting back to me. I'm 99% sure though from the research I've done over the last few days. One person said they moved the beds against one wall to avoid bumping their shoulder getting into bed- doesn't really sound like a luxury :cool: I'm just upset as we've paid £3000 (just under $4500) for a cabin that is going to be smaller than a normal one. We normally don't spend that much time on our cabin but having a little one this time we'll have to.

Don't worry. They really don't take up that much extra room. When they were folded up we hardly noticed them at all. I think you will find it isn't really that bad. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

When my DH, DD9 and I were on the Sapphire we had an outside cabin and the bunk that either came out from the wall or ceiling I don't remember. Well come to find out when we got to our room the beds were apart so we asked the steward to put them together. He explained if the bunk is down with a 3rd/4th person, the bottom beds have to be apart. It was a safety issue.

Needless to say we were upset. :mad:

The guest relations person didn't even know about this rule. It turns out Princess notified our TA months before we sailed but our TA did not relay that info to us. We have not used that TA since. This is the only cruiseline I know of that has this rule. We had a great cruise anyway, love the Sapphire!

Hopefully you can just have a cot rolled in, it will be tight but you will manage. Good Luck and have a great cruise!

Toni

We were on Ruby Princess last Dec. They moved us into a cabin that had two bunk beds. They were in the way. The lower beds we had them together. The first time i laid down I hit my head on the bunk getting up. There was also no room to get into bed from the side. They had to change our room. And they did.

Maria

Hi Debbie,

We had this same question on the cabin configuration for a family cruise. But it worked out beautifully.

You won't need the bunkbeds at all. Since your daughter is only 1 years old and will be sleeping in a roll-a-way crib that you are bringing, just put that in front of the window/near the desk and keep the queen bed together for your husband and yourself.

If you decide not to bring the roll-a-way crib/portable crib, you can ask for a fold up cot that the steward will put up and assemble each evening for bed. You NEED to request for these cots ahead of time through email/letter to Princess, or FIRST thing when you board, because they have a limited number of them.

I know it is a bit of a worry since you really don't know the configuration of the room until you get there. But, trust me, you will be able to move around the furniture (only beds and end tables) to make room for 1 queen bed (with both end tables on one side) ... and have your daughter in a cot near you.

:)

And yes.. the cabin we reconfigured was even smaller, and obstructed oceanview (category GG) on the Coral Princess. There were bunkbeds in there, but the parents were worried that their 3 yr. old would fall out.

Answer: Kept the queen bed together, shoved it against the wall, put both bed end-tables on one side, got the fold-out cot and push it up against the desk. It can be done!

:)

This is a picture from Cruisedeckplans.com of P305 on Star Princess:
To the OP, the bunk beds will be opened ONLY if you request them to be. Otherwise, you have the floor space to put the cot. There'll be space in the closet area to store the pram; it's an open area that doubles as a dressing area with plenty of room for the pram.

My Daughter took her son on a 9 day cruise last year when he was

6 months 3 days old. They asked for a cot for the baby. They did have to have a cabin for 3 but they liked the extra bed that was off the floor. They kept all the baby things up there! Toys, diapers, daddy's backpack baby seat, clothes etc. It worked so fine that they are sailing again in two weeks. Philip will be on his third cruise at 15 months (if you count the one that happened in the ultimate interior cabin -- the womb!)

You will figure it out and adjust and problem solve just like you have been doing all this year:D. Mostly it is a mind game. If you believe that baby will have a ball and so will you -- then you are pretty well assured of having a fantastic time. Babies are people magnets on the ship and you will meet more folks than you ever did as ordinary pre-baby folks.

Have a great cruise -- relax and enjoy.

This is a picture from Cruisedeckplans.com of P305 on Star Princess:

stateroomP3052014_595.jpg

We were in a cabin like this once, and as it was only 2 of us, they allowed pushing the beds together in the middle of the room. Our steward did say it was a safety issue to do that and have any of the upper beds down as the center aisle is needed to make up the beds and have ladder access for the passenger. So what it did was create an aisle on either side of the double bed, but part of that aisle was taken by the folded up upper berths, so we could traverse, but not stand straight comfortably. If you have an infant and are not using the upper berths that is also a possibility.

Hi..

You'll find a small glass topped table near the refrigerator...put it in the back of the closet..and the 'pack n go' crib will easily fit at the bottom of the bed..This little table has limited use and shouldn't be missed..

Carol

Hi

I just want to confirm with you that you absolutely have to book a triple cabin. Under no circumstances will they allow a baby in a double room even if they are not occupying a bed.

I actually lost a deposit with P&O over this exact issue. Nowhere on their website does it say what to do when travelling with an infant.

I phoned them after booking online to add our daughter to our booking (as you do with some airlines and hotels) and they were absolutely horrific to deal with and even worse when dealing with official complaint.

They told me that I should have booked for 3 Adults and then they would have fixed up the fees later (like I would believe they would do that after how they treated me LOL!!!)

Good luck with your situation and I hope you have a great cruise! I'm sure it will all work out :)

Thank you so much everyone for your posts you have made me feel alot better about it. I know we will still have a fantastic time I just can't wait. This was the only downer to the whole holiday. I'm a worrier what can I say :confused: haha.

Thanks again

Archived