Interior Cabin even tho use to Balcony?

Sdallnct

I've had OV many times, a balcony twice, a suite twice...but recently had an inside cabin for the first time on a 7-night cruise. The deciding factor was price, price, price! These days I am a solo cruiser, so I am looking to blunt that single supplement as much as possible. The fare for my cabin was just under $600 for an inside guarantee...it would have been twice that much for an OV and almost three times as much for a balcony.

On my recent cruise (Liberty 4/24) I found that like all the other cruises, I actually spent very little time in the cabin except of course to sleep and/or get ready for mornings, dinner, etc. I love the complete darkness because I can sleep better, and I found the room (it was an inside Cat 4F) to be quite adequate.

There is something to be said about having that private balcony...or even a view of the outside. But there is also something to be said about the tremendous bargain price for an inside cabin when you can snag a 7-day cruise for about $75 a day. I suppose it all depends on one's own personal tastes and desires and of course everyone is different. But I think you can make a case for just about any category as long as it suits your needs.

I suppose - for me anyway - in the final analysis I look at it like this...for the price of an inside cabin (speaking generally of course) I can probably take 3 cruises for the same price as an OV or balcony on only 1 cruise. Well, shoot, that doggone math just wins out! :D

The balcony is an important aspect of the cruise to us. We have only ever sailed balconies or suites. The only way we would do an interior is if for some reason there was a cruise we really wanted to go on and the balconies where WAY more expensive and we couldn't justify the price.

We had a balcony on our first several cruises but after the first one I noticed we used it less and less. I finally convinced dh to try a 4K on the Miracle and he loved it. It's an obstructed view inside with french doors that open for air. Our last cruise we had a balcony again but rarely used it. We spend very little time in our cabin other than sleeping so for us it's a waste. We booked a 4K (same cabin)for our next cruise on the Miracle as that cabin was perfect for us. We are heading back to the mexican riveria next spring and I gave dh the option of inside or balcony. He wanted the balcony because we missed all of our ports last cruise there. We booked the Freedom for the fall of 2011 and chose an inside for that cruise. The price difference between an inside and balcony was significant for that sailing.

The only way I will book a balcony again is if the price difference is minor or we are cruising to Hawaii or Alaska where the views are spectacular. :)

I highly recommed the Cat 4k "interior" rooms on the Spirit class.

I was just going to suggest this, it's an interior, but hey there are windows, that you can open, and you have a deck right below you. I'm doing my first Interior in december, but it is a porthole, so there will be some light. Have fun!

Like others here, I too go back and forth between interior and balcony cabins. It depends on many things, and not always necessarily on price, although price is important. If we are doing a 7 day cruise or less to the caribbean or Bahamas, where we have sailed to often, we book an interior, usually a 4A GTY and often get moved to a higher floor (I've learned the hard way that on CC this is NOT considered an upgrade, just a move to a higher floor, so I won't even dare call it an upgrade). If we are sailing 7 days or more to places that we consider merit the balcony, then for sure we book the balcony GTY, or get an assignment right off the bat. Places like the mediterranean, Hawaii, the Mexican Riviera, the most recent Caribbean 10 day sailing on the Equinox, and our upcoming 16 nighter on the MSC Poesia, we have chosen the balcony. It really all depends on all these factors. I have sailed in insides way more than on balcony cabins, I have enjoyed all them regardless of cabin selection!

Thank you so much for all the replies. I still consider myself new to the board and I'm amazed at the passion shown for various topics. But what I do love is how freely people give their personal experiences in a honest fashion!

Some more information,

-We have been to Vegas many a time. In fact we use to live in Phoenix so we went often and love it!

-We love to cruise (obviously). And coming off our "anniversary cruise" last November. We loved the Valor! We were not really planning on a cruise this year to save money. But then we started thinking if we drove down to Galveston. We would save a lot on airfare

-We have cruised out of Galveston before, but never on the Conquest

Air fare is like $300pp to Vegas! That is before hotel, shows, food, etc, etc. We can book a interior cabin on the Conquest for a $100 more pp. Since we are going on a budget, the cruise is a no brainer over Vegas. Heck, I'm not sure we can drive to Austin or San Antonio for a week for less than an interior cabin. Only concern is that we don't like an interior so much it sort of turns of off on cruising.

I hate to sound like a snob, cause we are not. We are easy going. We do like to stay out late and then take an afternoon nap. In evaluating our last trip, we spent some time on the balcony, but not a ton. We usually sat out there for an end of day drink or wife would read while I went to gym or we would sit out there and enjoy before getting ready for dinner. We didn't spend a lot of time in the cabin.

The think about Cabins is I see them a lot like rooms in Vegas. Some only want a pillow to sleep at night. For others it is part of the vacation. We are somewhere in the middle.

Based on everyone's excellent comments (and I'd love to hear more) I think we will do. And go into it with an open mind, remain flexible and use it as a test. As someone smartly mentioned if the price is right, can afford two cruises in a year instead of one.

What about a 4J ? Has an obstructed view window but it is right near the door to make a quick exit out to the deck. Also, if you could book a 4J on the Lido deck it would be a double plus.

Interesting. Can you book and see prices on that on line or do you have to call?

We've done it before and will do it again. We've been in inside, oceanview and balcony cabins and have enjoyed ALL our cruises. We don't spend much time in the cabin, but if we have a balcony we definitely use it quite a bit. If we don't have a balcony, we just spend more time up on the open decks. And honestly, if I don't have a balcony, I don't really care if I even have a window (unless it's just a few dollars more).

We had a balcony on our first Carnival cruise (Legend), our next cruise was a 4E Inside (Freedom), and our upcoming cruise is a 4K obstructed view on the Miracle. We enjoyed the balcony, but not enough to pay the difference. We can cruise more often in an inside, so that's the plan. If we want to sit outside, we'll do it on the deck.

I have gone on many cruises and have only been in inside cabins. My parents treat the family to a cruise each year and since they pay, we always get an inside cabin. DH and I have the option of paying the difference and book a balcony. Never thought it was worth the extra money. We only use the room to sleep and get ready. We are never in the cabin during the day (except for the occasional nap).

My mom must have an OV for her and my dad (he doesn't care). She has to be able to see outside. With the newer ships, they don't have many OV so she gets a balcony. Also she made sure she got a balcony in Alaska.

So personally, I would save the $ and get an inside.

Looks like I got to decide quickly! I'm looking at the 10/31 cruise so that means I have to book by 5/31, to get that ES rate, correct?

And it is $250pp deposit? Seems odd the deposit would be over 50% of the cruise price...but ok

Looks like I got to decide quickly! I'm looking at the 10/31 cruise so that means I have to book by 5/31, to get that ES rate, correct?

And it is $250pp deposit? Seems odd the deposit would be over 50% of the cruise price...but ok

I had to laugh at this because I just booked the Triumph for us in Dec. and the dep. was 400 and that only left like a little over a hundred or so dollars left to pay on cruise..needless to say it is getting paid off this week....should have just did it that day, but wasn't thinking because usually there is much more owed that I pay it out slowly so the low price threw me off...LOL;):D

So in looking at specific cabins it looks like to get the best rate possible, would not only be an interior but a catagory 4A on deck 1 Riviera!

Not worth another thread I don't think, but what is the good the bad and the ugly about being down that low. I mean, are those cabins hanging off the bottom of the ship or something...:p

I will have my very first balcony on the Valor this November. I have always had interior on my prior cruises. On our last cruise (Emerald Princess) we put on our tv to the web cam and with the volume down so that in the morning we woke up with seeing the ocean - it worked out very well.

So in looking at specific cabins it looks like to get the best rate possible, would not only be an interior but a catagory 4A on deck 1 Riviera!

Not worth another thread I don't think, but what is the good the bad and the ugly about being down that low. I mean, are those cabins hanging off the bottom of the ship or something...:p

We've been on Riviera before. It was fine, just took longer to get places, but really nice for going into port.

We've been on Riviera before. It was fine, just took longer to get places, but really nice for going into port.

Do these rooms have 2 twin beds that can be pushed together? Am I reading it correctly. Aggghhh....the photo shows two twin beds, but then I found this...

(not pictured): Features Twin Bed & either Upper

or Single Convertible Sofa 1A

OH wait....Cat 1A is one twin bed???

OK, if we go with it, will just call and confirm...

Though you might be use to a balcony, would you book an interior? If you have gone from balcony to interior, how did you like it?

I know this is odd, but in the 10-12 cruises we have been on over 20 years we have only done a true interior once. And that was 8 years ago and we took the kids! So 4 of us in an interior and it was kind of rough. The main reason were not enough storage and one small bathroom for 4 people to get ready in the morning/dinner.

We got a Balcony in November for our anniversary (just wife and I) and thought about a cruise this November, again, just wife and I. But we didn't want to spend that kind of money. Of course as we looked at other options such as just going to Vegas or San Antonio or something for a week the cost is getting real close to an interior cabin on a cruise maybe more. Likely more.

Sooo...thinking of doing the Conquest for a week on an interior cabin. It would just be just wife and I. We loved the Valor so we know the Conquest would be fun.

Thoughts on "going budget" when use to going First Class?

We would never book an inside cabin. It wouldn't even be an option for us because we know we don't like them. You've experienced it before so weigh the pros and cons and if it doesn't bother you, go for it......

Though you might be use to a balcony, would you book an interior? If you have gone from balcony to interior, how did you like it?

I know this is odd, but in the 10-12 cruises we have been on over 20 years we have only done a true interior once. And that was 8 years ago and we took the kids! So 4 of us in an interior and it was kind of rough. The main reason were not enough storage and one small bathroom for 4 people to get ready in the morning/dinner.

We got a Balcony in November for our anniversary (just wife and I) and thought about a cruise this November, again, just wife and I. But we didn't want to spend that kind of money. Of course as we looked at other options such as just going to Vegas or San Antonio or something for a week the cost is getting real close to an interior cabin on a cruise maybe more. Likely more.

Sooo...thinking of doing the Conquest for a week on an interior cabin. It would just be just wife and I. We loved the Valor so we know the Conquest would be fun.

Thoughts on "going budget" when use to going First Class?

We are far from well off but love to cruise, so it is an easy choice inside or outside obstructed..... if we're living it up. We have done a balcony and it was nice but if we want to cruise this is all we can afford, and we love cruising. Guess it would be nice to be "choosy" but don't think it would really make a difference. We have also turned on the webcam to check what's happening outside, and it works!

We have only had an interior. I'm one of those that love how dark it is in there--makes for nice sleeping.:cool: We aren't in the room all that much anyway. My other concern is having the sun come in your room. Since we live in AZ we get plenty of sun otherwise. :)

However, if we go to Alaska, we are getting a balcony.

Do these rooms have 2 twin beds that can be pushed together? Am I reading it correctly. Aggghhh....the photo shows two twin beds, but then I found this...

(not pictured): Features Twin Bed & either Upper

or Single Convertible Sofa 1A

OH wait....Cat 1A is one twin bed???

OK, if we go with it, will just call and confirm...

Our beds were together as a king when we were on Riviera. The standard pics always show the 2 beds. If you check the deck plans, it has a key showing cabins that can not have the beds put together. That will help you with cabin selection, too. Deck plans are available on the cruise booking sites as well as the cruise line sites.

Lowest deck...center of the ship......my favorite place to be!

You'll feel the least movement if the seas get rough

If you're inside you'll get the best sleep...no light to wake you up

It's not really the bottom of the ship...just the lowest deck for passengers

For me...it's not a matter of "budget"...but of choice

I think my husband would prefer a balcony or OV (as status thing?)....but for most cruises, what do you actually see?..sea...sea...sea...sea...and more sea....

And since I make these important decisions....this is where you'll find me ;)

For the $$$ I'm saving him....he buys me a very nice bauble each cruise as a memento. It's a win/win (except for the fact that he tells people he had an OV or balcony)

Archived