St Thomas or St Martin

In St Thomas, we took the ferry to Tortola, BVI - though not much there, it was another country for those among us who collect them. Agree, get thee to St John's ASAP, a short ferry across the water when in St Thomas. Plan for traffic coming back to the ship depending on where you pick up the ferry.

We spent our honeymoon week nearly 16-years ago on the French side of St. Martin. Our hotel was in Grand Case, which is known for its very good French restaurants. Doublecheck if they're open for lunch. We were at the GC Beach Club, and the week before we arrived, the restaurant burned down...so we had to have breakfast on the beach. That said, we returned on our cruise last year and had lunch at the rebuilt restaurant..sandwiches/fries, etc...a sandwich is big enough to share. And it was truly the French Caribbean. Go with St. Martin...rent a car at the port...many inexpensive options are available...and drive counter-clockwise to get to the northern edge (we experienced really bad traffic due to road work).

One more vote for Sainte Martin especially due to the food on the French side.

Probably my most favorite restaurant in the Carib. is there. (and, no, I'm not disclosing because I don't want it changed :p )

Though the traffic getting there can be slow.

If you have to do St. Thomas, and are already shopped out, definitely take the ferry to St. John.

I just love St. Martin!!

I'm not a beach person (except for Half Moon Cay :D!) and enjoy the local vibe of an island on my cruises.

I didn't really care for St. Thomas on my visit. It was just too crowded and very touristy. I know that it's considered a shopping mecca,but it was the same items with different pricing in most of the stores (at least to me). Since I'm not a jewerly person, I don't know if the prices are really great.

But St. Martin is one of those islands that I can visit more than once and find something new each time. Yes, you will find the touristy items, but I also find alot of little treasures.

I love the curry from St. Martin (we have potluck at work and everyone is eagerly awaiting my next visit for more of my curry chicken!). I also found wonderful handcraft items and great rums. On my last visit, my guide took me to a small out of the way shop with the best hot sauces and homemade rums.

I love both the French and the Dutch side!

In December, I'm having a hard time of deciding on doing a water item or taking the ferry to Anguilla for the day (we are in port from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.),

but I look forward to visiting this wonderful island again!!

p.s. Jhannah I was like what??? ::D You been to too many islands!!!

Another vote for St. Maartin :D I love St Maartin and personally I think the shopping is far better in St Maartin.

I feel there is a lot to do, great food and great shopping I just wish the ships were in port longer:o

We spent a week many years ago at Grand Case Beach Club too. We loved it but have no idea what condition it's in now.

Obviously the restaurant had been rebuilt, and the grounds looked pretty well kept-up. We did not see any of the guest rooms, but overall maintenance looked pretty good. Unfortunately the beach has had significant erosion, to the point where if you're looking at the water, there is virtually no beach to the lefthand side of the restaurant, but there is still a modest strip of sand to the right of the restaurant.

You can get French crepes at a restaurant at the end of Old Street in St Maarten...then you don't have to go to the French side!

Both sides are interesting and include lots of food, bev, and shopping choices. If there are a lot of ships in, Phillipsburg will be packed with the main drag blocked off and wall to wall people walking along it. The last time I was there was even worse because it was Carnivale time and the main drag was blocked off for a parade. From my experience and what I have read on CC, if ladies want to sun topless, they can do it in Phillipsburg, too. Phillipsburg has a paved walk with the beach on one side and restaurants on the other. Marigot on the French side is much quieter-and smaller-with restaurants near the dock for the boat to Anguilla. The boat ride to Anguilla can be interesting. It was rather rough when we went and the boat sat very low in the water. We find St Martin/St Maarten both interesting but we spend our time on the Dutch side. Now if they just served Dutch food in the downtown area of the Dutch side, it would be perfect.

St. Maarten/Martin (Dutch/French) is far superior to St. Thomas. Better restaurants and beaches (on French side) and better shopping (on Dutch side). St. Thomas is over-crowded - especially on multi-ship days -the people are far less friendly - except for the pick-pockets which are everywhere. The only thingto do on St. Thomas is get the boat to St. John for the beach. If you donot want a beach day, St. Thomas is an ideal opportunity to stay on board and enjoy an uncrowded ship.

Archived