Freedom not so free......?

Just back from Freedom....noticed many cutbacks and deterioration in quality in just 6months...ok, I am spoilt as a suite guest, and sure loved the perks offered, so don't beat me as I don;t want to appear unappreciative, but I wanted others to be aware for what its worth..:o.

Concierge lounge now has same hors d'oevres every night, not the variety as before...

No more parma/prosciutto ham for breakfast.

No more gifts....

Drink prices increased

Johnny Rockets cover increased

Food in Dining room was very blah....if you don't like bell peppers and/or garlic, you will be very unhappy.....choices and quality have really deteriorated. desserts...ugh.....very bland. No real big deal here, just very disappointed about food more than anything else...

On a positive note.....great to have the priority seating for shows, sunbathing and private beach club on Labadee was awesome. Staff very friendly, more so than previous cruise on her.

Any questions, ask away!

Just back from Freedom....noticed many cutbacks and deterioration in quality in just 6months...ok, I am spoilt as a suite guest, and sure loved the perks offered, so don't beat me as I don;t want to appear unappreciative, but I wanted others to be aware for what its worth..:o.

Concierge lounge now has same hors d'oevres every night, not the variety as before...

No more parma/prosciutto ham for breakfast.

No more gifts....

Drink prices increased

Johnny Rockets cover increased

Food in Dining room was very blah....if you don't like bell peppers and/or garlic, you will be very unhappy.....choices and quality have really deteriorated. desserts...ugh.....very bland. No real big deal here, just very disappointed about food more than anything else...

On a positive note.....great to have the priority seating for shows, sunbathing and private beach club on Labadee was awesome. Staff very friendly, more so than previous cruise on her.

Any questions, ask away!

Also booked in a suite this Sept and disappointed hearing your news. Same hors d'oevres every night? What, cocktail wieners? Food in the MDR has always been so so IMO.

Did they have the new balcony furniture? Looking forward to Labadee and would like to hear more about your experience at the beach. Did you rent a cabana?

In my past experiences, there is always a chance of an off day in the gally but for the most part, the food has always been great no matter which ship we were on. We've been on most of the ships in the RCCL inventory and some many times (over 70 cruises). Yes they have had to cut back on some of the freebees but there isn't a cruise line that hasn't.

The one thing that seems to either make or break our enjoyment of the cruise is the overall personality of the passengers. It seems like each cruise takes on it's own life.

Hope your next experience is a better one.

Also booked in a suite this Sept and disappointed hearing your news. Same hors d'oevres every night? What, cocktail wieners? Food in the MDR has always been so so IMO.

Did they have the new balcony furniture? Looking forward to Labadee and would like to hear more about your experience at the beach. Did you rent a cabana?

What was your room number

In my past experiences, there is always a chance of an off day in the gally but for the most part, the food has always been great no matter which ship we were on. We've been on most of the ships in the RCCL inventory and some many times (over 70 cruises). Yes they have had to cut back on some of the freebees but there isn't a cruise line that hasn't.

The one thing that seems to either make or break our enjoyment of the cruise is the overall personality of the passengers. It seems like each cruise takes on it's own life.

Hope your next experience is a better one.

I completely agree with you 100%. I too have had nothing but wonderful food and service on my past 3 Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't care about the free stuff or the chocolates, I don't need either. When I go to Disney World and pay an arm and a leg to be entertained, Disney does not hand me one free thing and I pay for my breakfast, lunch and dinner. So cruising no matter how bad some might say it is, will always win in my book! :)

The food has been on a downhill slide for the last 5 years or so.....steadily declining...

I disagree. People were saying the same thing 5 years ago and 10 years ago. The food, IMO, has changed very little over the last 15 years or so that I've cruised. With some specific items, I believe quality has improved, but portion sizes have decreased. Overall, no big change in the food quality, though.

I am also one who has not been overly impressed with the food on my last several cruises...not horrible..but very much lacking in flavor & variety..guess it's all part of the "plan" to get us to eat in the specialty restraunts for a fee....

Besides the same hors d'oeuvres being served each night, I noticed that the cold snacks had shrunk in size.

I marvelled at how they could get such a small amount of cheese or tapenade or crab spread onto the tiny pieces of toast. It was like they had Keebler elves working in the kitchen. Really teeny, tiny little things to eat. Kind of cute.

So sorry you were disappointed with your cruise. Perhaps when you return in october (in your signature) they will do a better job. .... I hope the concierge can deliver the persotto to your private cabana or suite while the rest of us wait for deck chairs and hope theres bacon left in the windjammer. :D

I completely agree with you 100%. I too have had nothing but wonderful food and service on my past 3 Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't care about the free stuff or the chocolates, I don't need either. When I go to Disney World and pay an arm and a leg to be entertained, Disney does not hand me one free thing and I pay for my breakfast, lunch and dinner. So cruising no matter how bad some might say it is, will always win in my book! :)

I absolutely agree. I'm a Dis'er and a cruiser and addicted to both but I spend far more money at Disney. While cruising, I love I can eat all day for free and go and grab a free snack, or two or three or four or five. At Disney I might get two snacks with the Dining plan for the whole day! And that's if I pay for the dining plan. Otherwise everything is out of pocket.

I love both vacations but I also have budgets for both so not to over spend. But it drives me crazy hearing people talk about cruising freebies being taking away. At Disney "What's a Freebie?". LOL!!! We even have to pay to park hop - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

So sorry you were disappointed with your cruise. Perhaps when you return in october (in your signature) they will do a better job. .... I hope the concierge can deliver the persotto to your private cabana or suite while the rest of us wait for deck chairs and hope theres bacon left in the windjammer. :D

If you pay the price then you should get the perks (or in this case persotto)!

While I haven't been cruising in a few years, I LOVE your analogy to Disneyworld! Spot on! I'll probably draw flames, I'm sure, but the amount of space wasted on these boards of folks whining about not getting a stupid free drink, a special seat, or some other nonsense perk that sets them apart from the un-diamonded-masses gets so tiring. Does it really matter if you're D or d+ or double-D-minus or whatever? If you've spent thousands to gain these "elite" status levels, what's the cost of a few drinks? Relax, enjoy - stop worrying about what you're NOT getting for free, and enjoy your amazing experience.

Wow that is very disappointing news on the food. I am a Gold medallion holder on HAL, but always liked sailing with Royal. I just planned a big group of us to go on the Freedom in October this year convincing everyone to try royal, I told them how great the food was last time we went on the Radiance.

I hope they dont throw me overboard:p

I am sure we will all have a wonderful time, Im not too worried about that, but I sure wish the powers that be are reading some of these posts about the food quality. I'm sure most pax wouldnt mind paying a little more if the food was a notch or two better.

Capn

While I haven't been cruising in a few years, I LOVE your analogy to Disneyworld! Spot on! I'll probably draw flames, I'm sure, but the amount of space wasted on these boards of folks whining about not getting a stupid free drink, a special seat, or some other nonsense perk that sets them apart from the un-diamonded-masses gets so tiring. Does it really matter if you're D or d+ or double-D-minus or whatever? If you've spent thousands to gain these "elite" status levels, what's the cost of a few drinks? Relax, enjoy - stop worrying about what you're NOT getting for free, and enjoy your amazing experience.

Well said! Thank you!

Some people would complain if the cruise was free. The same people who would complain that the sun is shining or that the moon is full. Some people just love to complain. If they didn't like it, why did they book ANOTHER cruise? I would rather they keep it to themselves and go elsewhere...

I think the flavor of the food has become very bland..while the overall looks are very appealing..somewhat disappointing with that first bite..I'm not the only one... have see more and more left on the plate and I'm talking about desserts too.. Example...Why is the apple pie so good in JR'S and has little to no taste on the rest of the ship... Where's the Flavor ????:confused:

I find the food to be ok better than what i make at home or having to make it!!!! Yes prices are going up, I not sure if anyone has noticed but everything in todays world costs more than it did yesterday... As the saying goes, "its all down hill after the first time." I try to makes things more enjoyable for me to judge each cruise independently, something is always different some things good some bad. Just remember its a vacation let go have fun, don't worry about stuff you cannot control and in the end you will have a blast!

I absolutely agree. I'm a Dis'er and a cruiser and addicted to both but I spend far more money at Disney. While cruising, I love I can eat all day for free and go and grab a free snack, or two or three or four or five. At Disney I might get two snacks with the Dining plan for the whole day! And that's if I pay for the dining plan. Otherwise everything is out of pocket.

I love both vacations but I also have budgets for both so not to over spend. But it drives me crazy hearing people talk about cruising freebies being taking away. At Disney "What's a Freebie?". LOL!!! We even have to pay to park hop - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for seeing my point guys. I love Disney World and love cruising, but I just don't get how it's sometimes "so bad" either. I love the food, the ship, the people, and the "go with the flow" routine that you have while onboard. I am a C&A member and do appreciate the coupon books regardless of what's actually in them. It's nice to know that I'm recognized for something, but I don't care for all the free stuff they used to give you. I think I've got several C&A hats in my closet now. Kind of glad they aren't giving those out anymore! :)

I disagree. People were saying the same thing 5 years ago and 10 years ago. The food, IMO, has changed very little over the last 15 years or so that I've cruised. With some specific items, I believe quality has improved, but portion sizes have decreased. Overall, no big change in the food quality, though.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The OP is correct when they say that food quality has gone down over the years. The food has been getting more tasteless over the years. However this also can vary from ship to ship. The Freedom has terrible chefs on board or maybe they are restricted in what they are allowed to prepare and how they prepare what they do. Where as on the Monarch the chefs are terrific or simply have more leeway in what they are allowed to prepare. On the Freedom the choice is bland, bland, or bland. On the Monarch the choice is spicy, middle of the road, and bland.:D Same goes for the other ships. You can either get the Freedom type chefs or the Monarch type chefs.;) Food is not top priority for me when I cruise so the bland food won't keep me away. However it would be nice to see them step back up to the quality food of years past.:)

Freedom is one of the worst ships in terms of appy's and such in the lounge. Martin is the regular hotel directer on the Freedom and he is "TIGHT".:eek: When Martin is on board as HD then no good appy's in the lounge, no fruit basket or such in stateroom, one plate of chocolate covered strawberries for the week and that is all for diamond plus guests. However, when Martin is away and on holiday then you get a fruit basket, chocolate covered strawberries, and a cheese plate for diamond plus guests. Plus lots of good and different appy's in the lounge.

I know that when I go on the Freedom that if Martin (HD) is on board than the quality and quantity of "amenities" will not be there. However the crew and staff is superb and that is what keeps me coming back! The "amenities" are nice but not a deal breaker for me. I will continue to cruise even with the tasteless food. Besides the bland food keeps me thin!:p:D

What exactly is bad about the food? I always hear people complain about the food, but they never say why it is bad to them. I always thought the food was fine for the amount they have to prepare.

I look at like this. They prepare 2000 meals in 40 minuites if its even edible and gets to my table in a few minuites that an A+ in my book

Perhaps you already know this, but Disney has a significant number of perks available for a price. They include:

• Extra Magic Hours, or extended time for those staying at a Disney Resort
  • Disney Magic Express, or transportation to and from airport to your resort
  • Resort transportation to theme parks (other hotels offer this, but the closer bus stops are for Disney resort guests)
  • Priority seating at venues like Fantasmic at Disney Studios
  • Assured entrance to parks (personally seen people turned away on New Years Eve)

While these seem minor to those not frequent visitors to Disney, the perks for spending a little more money are there.

I could care less about someone getting special perks based on frequency of travel or number of cruises. I'd rather be in a chair in the shade listening to steel drums, but we did raise a child with many visits to Orlando...

Had to come back and edit... Perhaps those of us that have cruised so much set unrealistic expectations for meals aboard. The Freedom was a major WOW when she was launched. We were invited to a 2 night inaugural cruise to nowhere and I was never so amazed at the sheer size. After many cruises on the Rhapsody and Splendor the Freedom was special. I'd wager those that step aboard something like that for the first time feel the same way.

I don't think the food is the best I've ever had; I just don't think it was much better 15 years ago. It has always (at least in the experience of my several cruises) ranged from mediocre to excellent on any give ship/night.

I must say that I do enjoy some of the Indian style curry alternatives that they offer now. I'm sure that, too, can vary from ship to ship, but what I tried on the Voyager recently was outstanding. The night they served prime rib, it was the best piece of prime rib I've tried on a cruise. The filet of beef was very tasty. Better in flavor than the full tenderloin steaks they served once upon a time, but considered lower "quality" by some, because it's no longer a full steak.

My first RC cruise was on the Monarch, back when it was one of the newer ships, and as much as I hear people try to romanticize how good things used to be, I really don't believe the food was any better. Changes have been more in quantity than in quality.

I wonder whether expectations increase too much the more cruises you go on? When I was on our first cruise on the Crown Princess everything was so fantastic and people said we reminded them our their enthusiasm of their first cruise.

We are on Indy for the first time next week (second cruise) and I hope I can look at it with new eyes rather than comparing it to our first cruise. Human nature to make comparisons I know and no doubt I will but I must admit I want to be surrounded by people who are enjoying themselves not complaining. ;)

Archived