White Pass and Yukon Rail

FourAces

Hey folks, My wife and I are interested possibly doing the white pass and yukon rail in Juneau, but it seems everyone wants an arm and a leg for the tour. I read in a thread that you can get tickets much cheaper by going to the train station, has anyone done this and if so how much?

Also if that plan falls through the cracks, is it a long walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery and then back to the show of 98 and then back to the ship??

tryin to do this on the cheap,

Thanks

Hey folks, My wife and I are interested possibly doing the white pass and yukon rail in Juneau, but it seems everyone wants an arm and a leg for the tour. I read in a thread that you can get tickets much cheaper by going to the train station, has anyone done this and if so how much?

Also if that plan falls through the cracks, is it a long walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery and then back to the show of 98 and then back to the ship??

Thanks

Try doing the tour via van/bus. There is a ship excursion that is about $35pp that will give you the same basic tour, but on the opposite side of the ravine. In fact, we were able to go even farther into the Yukon than the train. We were also able to stop for photo ops along the way. I would definitely do this tour again.

Thanks

I would definately do the White Pass tour. The scenary is incredible and it makes you wonder how the gold rushers treked thru the pass let alone later build a railroad. The train station is just a short walk from the pier. You mentioned Juneau but I think its in Skagway if I remember right. If you don't want to take the train back down there should be an excursion that you take the train up and a bus back down.

In Skagway we used the Chilkoot Charters for a van ride up and took the train down. Chilkoot was great - the vehicle is a small bus (holds around 20 or so), big windows and small enough to pull over in many spots that the large Princess tour buses could not. They took us to Carcross for the lunch break, visit to the Musher camp (puppy snuggling!!!), drove us up to Emerald Lake and then to the train at Frasier. Because the train cars are assigned by touring company, we had one of the rear cars (good, because you're farther away from the engine) with very few other passengers so we all got window seats. I spent most of the time on the viewing platform looking at the Princess car ahead of us, which was jam-packed with people. Wonderful experience! Remember your passport because you do cross the Canadian border.

In Skagway we rented an auto and drove all they way to Emerald Lake near Carcross. We followed Murray's guide which is available on these boards. It was the highlight of our trip. We spent less than $100 for the rental 5 years ago. Check out Murray's guide and enjoy!

Could not agree more with the previous poster. We also rented the car and drove to Emerald Lake using Murrays guide which is easily found. The scenery beyond where the rail leaves you is amazing. On that trip we also did the land tour to Denali and McKinley and I will tell you that the car trip to Emerald Lake was equally impressive. Just a couple of tips if I could:

1. Do not rely completely on the mile marker signs that are posted in Murrays guide as many have disappeared. That said it is easy to find the points of interest that he lists.

2. Make sure you have your passport as you will cross into Canada. You can also have your passport stamped.

3. Reserve the car early as the supply is limited.

4. If you can bring a soft side cooler and pack a lunch from the buffet the night before. The one or two places to get a lunch on the road are a rip off.

Thanks

The WP&YR is in Skagway and yes you can walk over to the train station and purchase tickets and you will save some money by doing so...something less than $10 p/p. The real advantage is that if the weather is not good that day you don't have to go. The walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery is about 1.5 miles in either direction.

We have done both the train and rented a car and cant decide which is better because both are awesome but different. I guess if I could only do one it would be renting the car as you can see so much more and the train is not anymore exciting than any other older train really.

In addition to places others here have mentioned we also REALLY enjoyed stopping at the ghost town and cemetary in Dyea which is about 2 miles Northwest of Skagway. Most of the people there died in a huge avalanche and its strange reading all the headstones with the same "died" date on them and the scenery there is awesome as well a its a huge meadow surronded by forest

We too have used Chilkoot Charters and really recommend them. I'd suggest the 7 hour trip which is the train up and then the van down with a trip to Emerald Lake.

No, it is not a very cheap option indeed. BUT, I do feel like it was worth it.

That said, if the funds aren't there, then they simply aren't there.

The hike to the cemetary is nice and we also found the Days of '98 to be a fun time. A fun way to hear the history. The Klondike Gold Rush museum is also a good bet and they have a very well done film.

Have fun - wish I were going back this summer!

loved the train ride.....you get a different perspective of the struggle the 49ers had

to get up there. Didn't love the van......too many people crammed in, and although it

was scenic, a road is a road is a road.

We bought our tickets at the station.....very inexpensive.....and they have a neat little

gift shop. Bought our grandson a train whistle......payback for putting up with our son's

loud music.

On the Celebrity ship excursions the price for the regular train (SK01) is, as said above, less than $10 difference, however if you opt for the steam train(SK63) it's cheaper to go thru' the WP RR itself.

Does anyone know where I can see the price of each tour from Chilkoot Tour website?

If I want to do the train/van combine, any preference on train up van down or van up train down?

Thanks.

Ling

We went out of Skagway. took the bus up and the train back.

Booked it from Princess-went to Carcrass for lunch and went on a sled ride with 13 dogs and a gal who is in the Iditerod..its a must do..so worth every cent..Emarald lake is amazing-this was a great day.:)

Dynea Dave does the same tour and is less and a smaller group than Chilkoot. We rode the train up to Fraizer and he picked us up there. He knew everyone in Carcross and we got our passports stamped in Carcross and Fraizer. Saw, lots of animals. It was 81 for the train plus his rate. Another family rode all way up to fraizer with Dave and only had to pay Dave's rate (very reasonable), for 7 hour tour! We had a wonderful time!

We went out of Skagway. took the bus up and the train back.

Booked it from Princess-went to Carcrass for lunch and went on a sled ride with 13 dogs and a gal who is in the Iditerod..its a must do..so worth every cent..Emarald lake is amazing-this was a great day.:)

Hi Happyrock,

Which tour did you take with Princess that goes to Emerald Lake and does the train, Carcross, and a sled ride? I can't find it. Thanks!

Which tour did you take with Princess that goes to Emerald Lake and does the train, Carcross, and a sled ride? I can't find it. Thanks!

They call it the "Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway" - you book the "sled" (actually a cart) when you arrive at Caribou Crossing for lunch. As you'll be sharing that spot with up to 600 other people when you book through the ship (!!), you can also book the cart ride directly with the musher (Michelle Phillips) ahead of time - http://yukonhuskies.com/kennel_tours.html

TWhen does the tour go to Lake Emerald?

After Caribou Crossing - IF they have time left (some cruise excursions don't make it). Only indendents guarantee you Emerald Lake (and keep you away from the hordes - do I sound biased? :) ).

You sound experienced! What independent would you recommend?

I was driver/guide for Alaska cruisetours for 17 years, and know many of the operators as I live just north of Skagway. Being Canadian I can't rent a car when I'm in Skagway on the Coral Princess in 2 weeks so will be going on Chilkoot Charters' 9-hour rail/bus tour - they also have a 7 1/2 hour one that works better for most people ( http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm ) - I'm a train fanatic and Chilkoot's part is mostly to get me back to my ship from Carcross where the train portion ends.

Archived