Reykjavik to Southampton 5/26-Voyager-on board now

RachelG

Trouble connecting with the internet yesterday.

First, in answer to the questions, no, they do not have Canyon Ranch selections on the menu. I could have sworn that I read that they were going to start this somewhere, but it has not happened as of yet. Maybe I just dreamed it.

Weather in Belfast was perfect, sunny again. In the am, my husband and I did a private tour of all the CS Lewis sites with a guide who is expert on this.

It was outstanding, and I would be happy to share the info with anyone who is interested.

We went back on ship and relaxed with massages in the afternoon in the spa.

Then the ship's tour for the evening, a Belfast pub crawl. It was great fun, and we enjoyed every minute. Everyone moved along at a good clip between pubs which was good.

I have noted that the age demographic seems to be quite a bit older on this cruise than any I have taken before. There are no chiildren at all. Diana's daughter, at 23, is the youngest passenger as far as I can tell. And I am definitely in the 20 youngest passengers onboard, which is very weird.

At any rate, the problem is that a lot of the tours move very slowly because of this. I like older people a lot, but everyone really needs to pay attention to the description of the demands of the tour before they sign up. Maybe for the faster moving ones, you should have to do a fitness test (say run up and down one flight of stairs or something). The slow movement of some of the tours because of one or two people who really shouldn't be on them in the first place is a big point of contention for my husband (not the most patient person in the world). In fact, I have cancelled a couple of tours, and we have just done our own thing because I knew he would be going crazy.

Another great day. I thought our string of good weather might be broken this am as it was raining as we were sailing in, but it turned out bright and sunny.

We did our own thing in Dublin this am. Took the shuttle into the city and explored on our own which was easy as I had been here before and knew what my husband would enjoy.

Then went on a shp's tour to Powerscourt Gardens in the afternoon, one of my favorite gardens in the world.

Dinner in CR. I actually prefer eating there as portion control is easier there for me. It was quite good--lamb curry for me, couscous for husband.

They have new washing machines in the laundry--very difficult to figure out initially, but after you have it down, they are quite nice.

Trouble connecting with the internet yesterday.

First, in answer to the questions, no, they do not have Canyon Ranch selections on the menu. I could have sworn that I read that they were going to start this somewhere, but it has not happened as of yet. Maybe I just dreamed it.

Weather in Belfast was perfect, sunny again. In the am, my husband and I did a private tour of all the CS Lewis sites with a guide who is expert on this.

It was outstanding, and I would be happy to share the info with anyone who is interested.

We went back on ship and relaxed with massages in the afternoon in the spa.

Then the ship's tour for the evening, a Belfast pub crawl. It was great fun, and we enjoyed every minute. Everyone moved along at a good clip between pubs which was good.

I have noted that the age demographic seems to be quite a bit older on this cruise than any I have taken before. There are no chiildren at all. Diana's daughter, at 23, is the youngest passenger as far as I can tell. And I am definitely in the 20 youngest passengers onboard, which is very weird.

At any rate, the problem is that a lot of the tours move very slowly because of this. I like older people a lot, but everyone really needs to pay attention to the description of the demands of the tour before they sign up. Maybe for the faster moving ones, you should have to do a fitness test (say run up and down one flight of stairs or something). The slow movement of some of the tours because of one or two people who really shouldn't be on them in the first place is a big point of contention for my husband (not the most patient person in the world). In fact, I have cancelled a couple of tours, and we have just done our own thing because I knew he would be going crazy.

I feel your pain. Sometimes they mislabel the difficulty of the trip. It's worth the extra cost to me I've decided to hire private cars although Regent really does try to get it right. It's the dreaded bus tours that go hand in hand with cruising on any line.

Although a fitness test would work on skimming off the disabled I doubt it would go over very well with the all guests. That would mean all tours would depart from the fitness lounge after a brief physical. I'm sorry that made my day.

The thing is that I specifically choose tours that are more strenuous and labelled as such because we like to get out and walk. The descriptions they give usually (not always, but usually) tend to portraying the tour as more physically demanding than it is, not less.

Like I said, I really love older people. My mom is 92 and in good health, but I wouldn't take her on a tour describiing moderate walking as I know she would have trouble keeping up.

I don't know anymore whether I fall into the younger or older demographic, probably somewhere in between, tending toward somewhat younger, but I can say with certainty that some of the fittest people I know are also the oldest people that I know, and are in their eighties.

With that out of the way I would add that I think people who can hustle about quite a bit better than those that cannot (regardless of age) should perhaps book their own private tours as it is the slower walkers who most need to be on a group tour for their own security and safety and if there is no similar tour offered for them, and the tour they want to do is not available for their fitness level (reading through most shore excursions nowadays on several cruise lines, all but the bus tours [ugh] seem to suggest a high level of fitness or are called strenuous or moderately strenuous) then I think they have the right to join those tours and do their very best to keep up and not have to worry that impatient folks will be complaining about them.

People often sign up far in advance for tours and have an injury or a bad knee or hip acting up on them the day that that tour day arrives and may either not be allowed to cancel without losing money or may have their heart so set on seeing something that they convince themselves they can handle the tour. Also, some people get hurt while on a tour and then must slow down.

I can imagine getting impatient with people who are crude or rude (not saying you are), but not with those who have physical difficulties.

I feel strongly on the issue of "slow movers" regardless of their age or the cause of their absence of normal mobility. IMO passengers should carefully read tour descriptions and not book tours that tax their abilities. And Regent should take extra measure to accurately describe the mobility challenges posed by each tour. I would suggest that Regent schedule a "mobility challenged" tour at each port stop so that "slow movers" have a tour option that they can genuinely enjoy and the rest of us can enjoy our tours without the delays and other challenges posed by the mobility challenged. Then, as painful as it might be, Regent should enforce, to the degree possible, mobility limitations. On one marvelous ship tour in December, a group of mobility challenged passengers tried to scrub our tour when the guide announced we would be walking "about three quarters of a mile." They loudly and bitterly insisted they had not booked a "walking tour." Well, the tour description had accurately described the walking that would be involved and these folks simply missed or conveniently ignored it. This tour involved such walking over a period of three hours with four stops sitting in churches and an an hour in an air conditioned theatre to witness a magnificent dance performance. Fortunately, the tour operator ignored the appeals from the mobility challenged and continued the tour over the objections of those who had obvious and considerable difficulty with the walking involved. The majority of us DID get to do the tour much to the consternation of the others. Upon returning to the ship the mobility challenged folks abused the tour desk with their complaints for the rest of the afternoon. I know I am sounding insensitive. But lets be frank, folks. There are good folks who book stuff they are simply not equal to. I would hope Regent would find a polite and politically acceptable way to deal with this problem so the rest of us can fully enjoy the tours we have paid lots of money to enjoy. Pat

Firstly, thanks for the vivid description of your experiences, Rachel. Belfast and Dublin are well worth visiting.

Secondly, even as an oldie, I have to agree with you about not signing up for tours which can tax your abilities. I am reasonably fit and able to take on most of the "walking" activities, but at 83, would not dream of undertaking some of the more strenuous activities. I think Regent describe the requirements pretty well, if only folks would read and adhere to them.

However, as some know, my wife is wheelchair bound, and we do have problems finding Regent organised trips which are suitable. On many cruises, even port intensive ones, there is often not a single excursion suitable for us. I know we could find a taxi and organise our own, but I would have hoped that Regent could lay on perhaps a small minibus to drive around for an hour or two sightseeing. It would take the load off the other excursions and get us of the boat for an hour or two.

I would suggest that Regent schedule a "mobility challenged" tour at each port stop so that "slow movers" have a tour option that they can genuinely enjoy and the rest of us can enjoy our tours without the delays and other challenges posed by the mobility challenged.

Pat, this is an excellent idea! Especially in light of what Orpington says:

However, as some know, my wife is wheelchair bound, and we do have problems finding Regent organised trips which are suitable. On many cruises, even port intensive ones, there is often not a single excursion suitable for us.

Regent, are you listening? Perhaps someone should start a separate thread.

Orpington, you are spot-on as always. They should have a tour or two that are for those who have mobility problems. Then everyone should be happy. If I were to chose one of these tours in advance, I would know that they would move slowly.

Today was a tender port. We went to Waterford in a taxi with another couple in the am as the shuttle bus only ran once per hour. Walked around a bit.

Then in the afternoon, took a driving tour of the area. We had an hour at a small village, so my husband and I hiked about 3 miles on a trail we found--outstanding. Day went by way to quickly.

The weather was beautiful with high temp of about 80F.

Dinner in La Veranda. I am reminded of why I love and hate this place. It was constant vibration, sort of like one of those vibrating beds that people used to put quarters into. But the food and service were really excellent. My husband asked me why we couldn't have this for room service. Abigail, who is one of our favorites, is in charge and doing a great job. Wine steward was excellent as well.

Again good weather today with no rain, sun on and off though pretty windy.

Cobh is the port for Cork, but a nice little town in it's own right. Famous as the place where most Irish embarked for the US to escape the potato famine, as the last (only) port of call for the Titanic before it sunk, and as where the Lusitania was sunk off the coast. Fishermen from Cobh took there small boats out to try and rescue as many passengers and crew as they could. Many who did not survive are buried here.

We took a walking tour of Cork--best part was the English Market which is a huge food emporium with everything you can imagine: whole pigs, huge fish being cut up, all sorts of sausages, cheeses, fruits and veges, breads. My husband and I had a coupld of snacks.

Then we came back to Cobh and walked all over. Ate lunch at a seafood place on the quay--delicious mussels.

Back on board. Upstairs at the pool bar, they have a nice display of all sorts of Irish beers and hard ciders that they have brought on and are available. We tasted a few. I like the ciders.

They are also bringing an Irish dance troupe on board this afternoon to perform.

And tomorrow, they are having a tasting of Irish and Scotch whiskies. I probably won't do that as I have never developed a taste, but I am sure it will be popular with many. You do have to sign up ahead, but it is complementary.

Crew Capers is tonight at 6, then after dinner, the singers and dancers are doing "Sailing through Broadway". I have never seen that one before, so am definitely going to try to go. One of the singers is from Tulsa, so that makes it extra special.

AND.....the prize for best sail-out of all time goes to----COBH IRELAND.

Great sailout-the city band was on hand to play a variety of tunes. As we were sailing out, they played Danny Boy, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and then Anchors Away. A whole lot of the townspeople were there, waving at us for a very long time.

Very poignant, esp considering the fate of the many ships who have sailed out of that port in the past. I stood my balcony, waving and thinking of those people of the past. Even though I didn't personally have any in my family who sailed from there (we were well in America before the Revolutionary War), I still felt a touch of sadness for those who sailed out never to see land again on this earth.

Cobh was and is my all time favorite sail-away port. I loved the town, people we met there and the absolutely terrific farewell we were given. How nice to read your comments and remember............

AND.....the prize for best sail-out of all time goes to----COBH IRELAND.

Great sailout-the city band was on hand to play a variety of tunes. As we were sailing out, they played Danny Boy, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and then Anchors Away. A whole lot of the townspeople were there, waving at us for a very long time.

Very poignant, esp considering the fate of the many ships who have sailed out of that port in the past. I stood my balcony, waving and thinking of those people of the past. Even though I didn't personally have any in my family who sailed from there (we were well in America before the Revolutionary War), I still felt a touch of sadness for those who sailed out never to see land again on this earth.

That was great. The sort of thing which will stay in your memory for years to come. Danny Boy always brings a lump to my throat, as does The Mountains of Mourne, such poignant words.

Now for Falmouth. I guess they don't get many cruise liners there. I hear the weather is fine. I am having a cornish pasty for lunch.

Another thank you to Rachel -- it's been fun for me to read your posts, and then read the update emails my father has been sending. Wish I could have been along.... but living vicariously is part of what makes CC fun, no? :rolleyes:

Another bright sunny day today--just perfect for touring, though I saw a lot of sunburned English people.

We took a tour to Mount St. Michael which is a house/fortress on an island just off the coast. It is really very special and scenic, sort of like Mont Ste. Michelle in France.

You can walk over on a causeway during low tide, but we had to take a small motorboat as it was high tide. Climbed all the way to the top, explored the gardens. It was really just perfect.

Then we motored back over to the village and had Cornish pasties for lunch (so we had the same lunch, Orpington). They were quite nice. I was able to eat all the filling part but couldn't finish the crust. Then I learned that the outer crimped crust was just to hold on to it anyway.

A real debaucle getting back on the ship. We had to tender, and the ship was quite far out in the harbor (a 20 minute tender ride). All of the tour buses arrived at about the same time back. We were on the first, and when we got off, there was no tender there. I thought "Oh, well, it will be along soon."

We wait and wait--no tenders. In the meantime, 5 other buses have arrived and unloaded. It is very hot in the direct sun. The guys from the ship who are on the dock know nothing. I was fine as we are used to very hot weather in Oklahoma, but there were a lot of people getting way too hot. Finally 2 tenders arrive at about the same time, after we had been waiting 40 minutes.

No explanation for what happened. I don't know if there was a mechanical issue or it was just poor planning or what. Lots of disgruntled and complaining passengers.

When we reboarded, Andrew was there telling everyone they had kept La Veranda open for lunch (most people had not eaten). Fortunately, I had already had my pasty.

Tonight we are having dinner with one of the Regent singers who happens to be from Tulsa and is the same age as our oldest son. THey actually have many friends in common, so it should be great fun.

Then off to LHR early in the am. Driver is to be waiting for us at 8.

Thanks so very much for your great posts, Rachel. We've got a deposit on Voyager's British Isles tour for next summer, so I was especially interested in your details (though only about half the ports are the same). Lucky you, with all the good weather! Now have a safe and easy trip home.

Just spent some time trying to find web cam shots of Voyager at the QE Terminal in Southampton, but without success. I was hoping to see RachelG and George disembarking. However the weather is great and they should have a pleasant drive to Heathrow and, I hope, a safe journey home to Tulsa.

Archived