TA closed for holiday! Any suggestions?

I am so frustrated! Last night, I found a deal that I want to take advantage of and I can't because the TA is closed. I could upgrade from interior to balcony for a relatively small increase. We're booked on the Liberty of the Seas and have made our final payment. We booked months ago so we're grandfathered in for the new price drop policy.

Anyway, the TA office is closed and no emergency phone number is posted. I have emailed TA and left her a phone message at her home. I also left urgent phone message on the TA machine. It is hard to believe that a service agency like this would be unavailable for 3 days and am hoping that someone responds to my calls.

I am afraid that the prices will go up anytime. And, meanwhile, the choice balconies are being snatched up. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Would Customer Service be able to help in any way?

And, I know, I know, NEXT time I will book myself, without using a TA.

Thanks for any help.

I would just call the cruiseline -explain the situation and perhaps they can assist with the cabin and price you saw advertised.

I don't think that you should place the blame on the TA - they deserve time off also - just unfortunate that this promotion happened over the holiday weekend.

A TA that does not have back up #'s or out of hours proceedure , is not a "good" TA .:mad: Find a "good" one (interview before you book);)

Granted, a price drop is not an emergency , but what if there was an actual emergency ?:eek:

Yes, I would think there would be a number in case of emergency. To not be able to contact anyone for 3 days seems like poor service to me. Still hoping someone will call me back.

In the meantime, I guess I will call Customer Service to see if there is anyway they can help.

It won't hold the price if it changes after 24 hours, but I wouldn't worry too much as Liberty has had some frequent and sustained price drops this past year. At least you can get the cabin you like if the price remains the same.

I am so frustrated! Last night, I found a deal that I want to take advantage of and I can't because the TA is closed. I could upgrade from interior to balcony for a relatively small increase. We're booked on the Liberty of the Seas and have made our final payment. We booked months ago so we're grandfathered in for the new price drop policy.

Anyway, the TA office is closed and no emergency phone number is posted. I have emailed TA and left her a phone message at her home. I also left urgent phone message on the TA machine. It is hard to believe that a service agency like this would be unavailable for 3 days and am hoping that someone responds to my calls.

I am afraid that the prices will go up anytime. And, meanwhile, the choice balconies are being snatched up. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Would Customer Service be able to help in any way?

And, I know, I know, NEXT time I will book myself, without using a TA.

Thanks for any help.

wow.....that is incredible.....that travel agent sure has their nerve taking time off for the weekend !!! I can't beleive somebody would do that to somebody. You need to find a travel agent that works 24/7 in case another emergency like this occurs.

<sarcasm off> Like somebody mentioned, the best thing you can probably do is to put a hold on the cabin you want. You then can try to hold it as long as possible. Then hopefully when you agent gets back to work, they can hopefully get that switched over

I agree. Put a 24 hr. hold on the balcony you want. Renew that hold if necessary. My TA has told me to do this if I am unable to contact her ASAP. (unlikely as I have her personal cell number) Your TA can then transfer your booking to the hold or vice versa.

Can you tell me how to put a hold on a cabin? Do I have to go on and act as if I am booking a reservation?

I actually need 2 balconies. Will they let me hold 2?

First of all travel agents should have a backup to contact over the weekend or other days off. That being said, I would call RC and explain your situation and see if they can help you. If they cannot, book the cabins yourself on the RC website (or hold them, whatever it is called) so nobody else can get the cabins you want. Then whenever you talk to your TA, she can cancel the first cabins you had. There should be no penalty as long as you are 60 days or more from sail date.

I actually did this a couple years ago. I had a cruise booked, connecting cabins became avaliable on a weekend, I booked those and then on Monday my TA just cancelled the original.

Yes, go thru' the entire booking process and hit the "hold" button instead of the "purchase" button. You should be able to book more than one cabin this way. Be sure to write down the booking number for each to give to your TA and to check after 24 hours to see if the booking number still exsists so you will know whether you have to make another "hold" for another 24 hours. Those 24 hour holds sometimes last longer than that so you will have to check.

Yes, go thru' the entire booking process and hit the "hold" button instead of the "purchase" button. You should be able to book more than one cabin this way. Be sure to write down the booking number for each to give to your TA and to check after 24 hours to see if the booking number still exsists so you will know whether you have to make another "hold" for another 24 hours. Those 24 hour holds sometimes last longer than that so you will have to check.

Yes, I agree, either do this or call RC and see if they can help you. But whatever you do, do it quickly.

Well, my TA called and I gave her the details. She called Royal Caribbean and this sale is for new bookings only. Bummer! She really tried but they wouldn't budge. She said she'd email her RC rep on Tuesday, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Oh, well, at least I heard from her and the issue is resolved so I can try to stop thinking about it all weekend. The balconies would've been nice. Life goes on.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Well, my TA called and I gave her the details. She called Royal Caribbean and this sale is for new bookings only. Bummer! She really tried but they wouldn't budge. She said she'd email her RC rep on Tuesday, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Oh, well, at least I heard from her and the issue is resolved so I can try to stop thinking about it all weekend. The balconies would've been nice. Life goes on.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Cecilia.....I don't understand why your TA cannot cancel the original booking and then book the balcony cabins. Then it would be a new booking. You should be within the period where you can get a full refund. This is what I did once. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. She is probably the one who told you to put your children in a cabin down the hall from you. (sorry, not a good idea).

I know what I'd do were it me....I would book the cabins I want right now by calling RC myself, and then cancel your cruise you booked with the TA.

So your TA did respond fairly quickly for a Holiday weekend afterall ;).

Atta Boy TA !:D

Gotta read the fine print when your looking for price drops "after" Final Payment. All the cruise lines now do the "new bookings only" close in to fill their ships . Upsets many early bookers who are obsessed with paying the lowest price ,for sure. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I just looked at the RC website and you have to be 70 days or more to get a full refund. It used to be 60 days. They're always changing the rules! Yikes.

It depends on the length of your cruise.

Cecilia.....I don't understand why your TA cannot cancel the original booking and then book the balcony cabins. Then it would be a new booking. You should be within the period where you can get a full refund. This is what I did once. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. She is probably the one who told you to put your children in a cabin down the hall from you. (sorry, not a good idea).

I know what I'd do were it me....I would book the cabins I want right now by calling RC myself, and then cancel your cruise you booked with the TA.

I noticed that some current price reductions are designated as "Sales Event". Usually people refer to only the Tuesday specials as being 'off limits' but I have also not been allowed to get a price reduction during this kind of sale (in my case it was on a Monday). Not sure if they would allow you to pay more to upgrade, seems like they told the OP "no".

I noticed that some current price reductions are designated as "Sales Event". Usually people refer to only the Tuesday specials as being 'off limits' but I have also not been allowed to get a price reduction during this kind of sale (in my case it was on a Monday). Not sure if they would allow you to pay more to upgrade, seems like they told the OP "no".

The current pricing on the OP's cruise that is listed in her signature is the Tuesday Sales event that has been extended from yesterday until Tuesday June 1 as a Memorial Day Sale. As always those are for new bookings only.

The current pricing on the OP's cruise that is listed in her signature is the Tuesday Sales event that has been extended from yesterday until Tuesday June 1 as a Memorial Day Sale. As always those are for new bookings only.

Ok same thing happened to me one year, tried to get an adjustment during a 'sales event' and they said 'no'. Posters kept telling me those were Tuesdays only but I knew it happened on a Monday. I bet it was the same holiday weekend.

I don't think that this sale was a Tuesday special as it didn't show up on the website until yesterday (Friday). I know because I check daily. :)

My TA said that we could cancel and rebook but would have to pay a penalty of $500/cabin. No thanks!

It is great that my TA got back to me as quickly as she did on a holiday weekend and I certainly don't begrudge anyone their time off. We certainly all need and deserve it. But, it does seem to me that in a service-oriented business such as travel, emergencies do arise (not saying that price drops are an emergency) and you should be able to reach someone in the agency over a 3-day period. I am thankful that my TA responded to the message that I left her at home.

Archived