TA closed for holiday! Any suggestions?

Well, my TA called and I gave her the details. She called Royal Caribbean and this sale is for new bookings only. Bummer! She really tried but they wouldn't budge. She said she'd email her RC rep on Tuesday, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Oh, well, at least I heard from her and the issue is resolved so I can try to stop thinking about it all weekend. The balconies would've been nice. Life goes on.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

That's bull. I see no where on this where your cruise is listed that it says for new bookings only? or am I missing it?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/featuredCruises/selectLandingPromo.do?promoCode=130239&cid=RCHPF2-05272010ExtendedMemorialDaySalesEvent

Jimbo:)

Jimbo, if you follow that link, scroll down until you get to Western Caribbean and click on August 1. It takes you to a page that has the sale I saw ($1099 for balcony). At the bottom of the page, in a paragraph with other info, it definitely says For new reservations only.

Thanks anyway.

oh, now i see it:eek:

I think the thing to do is for all our travel plans, book last minute and let all the companies sweat it out wondering if they will fill their hotel rooms,resorts, airplane seats, cruiseships etc. Then maybe ALL the prices for everything will be dirt cheap.:rolleyes::)

Now if we can just get everyone to agree to do that.

Jimbo:)

I always have modification privileges on my cruises with my TA so this very thing does not happen to me. I can call and they will deal with me anytime.

"Modification Privileges"? How do you arrange that?

I always have modification privileges on my cruises with my TA so this very thing does not happen to me. I can call and they will deal with me anytime.

Yeah, how do you do that? I would be interested in hearing about this too.

And Jimbo, when they sent out the Memorial Day sale to the TAs, the RCI DSMs specified "no cancel and rebooks" and "new bookings only". I was going to post about it a few days ago but I got busy with something else. ;)

I am so frustrated! Last night, I found a deal that I want to take advantage of and I can't because the TA is closed. I could upgrade from interior to balcony for a relatively small increase. We're booked on the Liberty of the Seas and have made our final payment. We booked months ago so we're grandfathered in for the new price drop policy.

Anyway, the TA office is closed and no emergency phone number is posted. I have emailed TA and left her a phone message at her home. I also left urgent phone message on the TA machine. It is hard to believe that a service agency like this would be unavailable for 3 days and am hoping that someone responds to my calls.

I am afraid that the prices will go up anytime. And, meanwhile, the choice balconies are being snatched up. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Would Customer Service be able to help in any way?

And, I know, I know, NEXT time I will book myself, without using a TA.

Thanks for any help.

In response to your next to last sentence I would say......NEXT time book with a GOOD TA !!! Any TA worth their salt should be available even on a holiday weekend or have some sort of back-up system in place, so that you can contact them. I wish you luck!

I wouldn't give up hope of getting the discounted price. Last year the exact same thing happened to me. A very sunstantial price drop appreared but it was for new bookings only. I was really disappointed but a few days later the same pricing came into effect for all bookings, new or old and I got a HUGE OBC of $1300.00. It bought me a lot of wine.:D

In response to your next to last sentence I would say......NEXT time book with a GOOD TA !!! Any TA worth their salt should be available even on a holiday weekend or have some sort of back-up system in place, so that you can contact them. I wish you luck!

A GOOD TA? A good TA does not have to be available 24/7 for a price drop. This is just not an urgent emergency situation. If price drops are that important to you, you should just be doing the work of a travel agent yourself. But even then, RCI is not available 24/7 and as this OP found, this situation doesn't even qualify for a price reduction.

A GOOD TA travels the world and can bring his or her experiences to the table when making a recommendation and giving their advice. Most TA's offering concierge services do so at a hefty price. Even ones that don't charge do have way for their clients reach them in the event of an actual emergency 24/7.

Thanks, HappiTravels, you've given me hope.

And, UANDMEFOREVER, no problem. I understood.

I hope things work out for you and somehow you are able to get the 2 connecting balcony cabins. When you think about it, I see it as an advantage for RC because you would always want to book balcony cabins in the future.

A GOOD TA? A good TA does not have to be available 24/7 for a price drop. This is just not an urgent emergency situation. If price drops are that important to you, you should just be doing the work of a travel agent yourself. But even then, RCI is not available 24/7 and as this OP found, this situation doesn't even qualify for a price reduction.

A GOOD TA travels the world and can bring his or her experiences to the table when making a recommendation and giving their advice. Most TA's offering concierge services do so at a hefty price. Even ones that don't charge do have way for their clients reach them in the event of an actual emergency 24/7.

OK, then, maybe I should have said EXCELLENT TA.......that's what I have. She travels, but ALWAYS has someone available to handle any concerns or questions I have...including price drops!! No charge to me, either.

OK, then, maybe I should have said EXCELLENT TA.......that's what I have. She travels, but ALWAYS has someone available to handle any concerns or questions I have...including price drops!! No charge to me, either.

I have to agree. I wouldn't transfer the booking to a TA unless I was certain I could still take advantage of price drops. I will call or text and she takes care of it regardless of when the price drop occurs. For this cruise, there hasn't been one single drop since final payment (when I transferred the booking to her) so it isn't like it is a real hassle for her. Generally, there are at the most 2 drops after final payment.

I suggest you put the cabin you want on hold, and keep renewing the hold. That's all you can do right now.

Note: If you put a courtesy hold on the cabin, I believe it is only good for 24 hours,which won't help if your TA is out of the office until Tuesday. But if you do put a courtesy hold on the cabin, your TA will not be able to finalize the reservtion. You will have to finalize it, and then arrange to have the reservation transferred to your TA afterward. I learned this the hard way when I booked our Grandeur cruise few weeks ago.

For this cruise, there hasn't been one single drop since final payment (when I transferred the booking to her) so it isn't like it is a real hassle for her. Generally, there are at the most 2 drops after final payment.

You won't have to worry about that anymore. New RCI rules state that bookings made after May 17 get NO PRICE DROPS after final payment (unless you booked after final payment window and you are within 48 hours of booking) ;)

Can you tell me how to put a hold on a cabin? Do I have to go on and act as if I am booking a reservation?

I actually need 2 balconies. Will they let me hold 2?

I put a courtesy hold on 2 cabins a few weeks ago, but had to do it as 2 separate transactions. Later, when the reservations were finalized, I had the 2 linked together. I was doing this online; perhaps if you call you can hold both cabins under one booking #.

You won't have to worry about that anymore. New RCI rules state that bookings made after May 17 get NO PRICE DROPS after final payment (unless you booked after final payment window and you are within 48 hours of booking) ;)

You are exactly right! I had forgotten all about the new policy! But would I be eligible for OBC? Have to admit I haven't been paying close attention since it really won't affect me, at least for a while.

You are exactly right! I had forgotten all about the new policy! But would I be eligible for OBC? Have to admit I haven't been paying close attention since it really won't affect me, at least for a while.

Your booking was made before May 17th, so right now you would get what you would have before. You are grandfathered in. So you would get your OBC.

After May 17th bookings, no price drops at all after final payment unless you are within 48 hours of booking -- then it would fall into the Best Price Guarantee Onboard Credit for 110% the difference in fare.

I put a courtesy hold on 2 cabins a few weeks ago, but had to do it as 2 separate transactions. Later, when the reservations were finalized, I had the 2 linked together. I was doing this online; perhaps if you call you can hold both cabins under one booking #.

Thanks, but it's a moot point for me, at this point. Turns out that this sale is for new bookings only, and I had been hoping to upgrade.

Thanks anyway!

The nice thing is most TA's I know have EXCELLENT clients who are not obsessed daily with price drops. They are perfectly pleased with the price they paid for their vacation experience.

Not once has any of their clients gone for a price drop when they could upgrade (in many cases significantly) for the price they originally paid. Many TA's only work with EXCELLENT clients and routinely fire the 20% of their least profitable clientele and as such are thriving when everyone else says the Travel Agent is dead.

I think the issue here is that she has 2 interior cabins booked and wants to upgrade to balcony cabins but cannot because the new price for a balcony is for new bookings only so there is nothing she can do.

The nice thing is most TA's I know have EXCELLENT clients who are not obsessed daily with price drops. They are perfectly pleased with the price they paid for their vacation experience.

Not once has any of their clients gone for a price drop when they could upgrade (in many cases significantly) for the price they originally paid. Many TA's only work with EXCELLENT clients and routinely fire the 20% of their least profitable clientele and as such are thriving when everyone else says the Travel Agent is dead.

Well, good for them and good for you. Glad to hear you are all so "perfectly pleased" with each other. How wonderful is that !!!!!!! ??????????

Well, good for them and good for you. Glad to hear you are all so "perfectly pleased" with each other. How wonderful is that !!!!!!! ??????????

I like that business plan: Do a good job, then only take clients who don't care about price, and get rid of the rest. Seriously why doesn't everyone do this?

Archived