cruise ship safety

I did post this question on several areas because I am trying to get a feel for how safe my 16yr old grandaughter will be walking around by herself. Obviously when several thousand people are together crimes happen however they are almost never made public, unlike the local newspaper.

A good friend of mine was drugged and assaulted while on board Oasis. Obviously, it didn't just happen in one of the passageways, the drink was spiked in one of the bars.

Things can and do happen on boards these ships, just like they happen anywhere with thousands of people living together in close proximity.

Just because we are on vacation does not mean we should lower our defenses or think that we are safe from the evils of the world.

A good friend of mine was drugged and assaulted while on board Oasis. Obviously, it didn't just happen in one of the passageways, the drink was spiked in one of the bars.

Things can and do happen on boards these ships, just like they happen anywhere with thousands of people living together in close proximity.

Just because we are on vacation does not mean we should lower our defenses or think that we are safe from the evils of the world.

Agreed, I apologize if I came off that way. Don't know if this was aimed at my comments or not, I just feel if your safe, and aware of the surroundings around you, you should be fine.

Agreed, I apologize if I came off that way. Don't know if this was aimed at my comments or not, I just feel if your safe, and aware of the surroundings around you, you should be fine.

No worries...I wasn't aiming my remarks at you, just giving the OP my $0.02.

Cheers.

Only you know your tolerance level for anxiety, but I would strongly suggest that you leave the granddaughter at home. Whether any incident has happened in the past is irrelevant to whether it could happen, on this trip, to her. There are no assurances, things have happened on almost every cruise line, and it likely will be a stressful trip for her and you with the fear and worry. The odds are overwheming that you will have an incident free, fun-filled vacation, but, as in life, there are risks.

On one freedom class ship, the population is greater, than the town I live in. That population, changes every week, 52 weeks a year. Think of how many ships are sailing weekly. In every population group, crime happens. Not every day, or every week, but out of that 52 weeks, or should I say, 52 small cities, something will happen.

Now take away from each city, all the gangs, and hoodlums you can find and fill the ship, with middle class families. Now place the city, in the middle of an island (the ship) with no place to hide.

So this is how I feel. Crimes, of any nature can happen, but it is not widespread. You still have to be aware, and treat the ship, like you would at home.

Has anyone experienced an unsafe or frightening incident while walking in the corridors among the cabins?

Been cruising for well over 20 years and I have never felt unsafe. I also don't walk the hallways or anywhere else by myself late at night. ;)

That's terrible.

I hope your friend is ok.

If you don't mind me asking, how did Royal Caribbean handle the situation?

Leave her at home? Odd suggestion. There are many kids and teens on all the cruises. We had our teens with us, set a time to meet throughout the day and so on. Set limits on when to be back in the room. There are many options of how to handle this. You know you GD. As to out-and-out attacks? The cruise lines have been hit for not being forthcoming on statistics, but I wouldn't make recommendations of what you should do - but I'll tell you what we did, and I certainly wouldn't recommend not taking your GD. Kids and teens seem to love cruising and it is a great experience.

Just use the common sense you'd use other places. this isn't like staying in a hotel in some seedy downtown area, but it does require a bit of vigilence.

Denny

Your daughter will be just as safe on a cruise ship as she would be at a shopping mall, a high school social event, or at college. In other words, if you think it's okay for her to be out in public at late hours now, why would being on a cruise ship be any different? The fact is she probably IS much safer on a cruise ship than she is at your local mall - your local paper probably only reports a tiny percentage of what is going on in your town.

There are activities for your granddaughter's age group the first evening. Maybe she will meet up with a group similar to her that she will be comfortable "hanging out" with the rest of the time so she will not be alone. I have seen others with walkie talkies, but they did not work well for us. Maybe, too, she will choose to be with you in the evenings! ;)

I also responded to you on the Celebrity thread...

What cruise line are you traveling? :confused:

I work in a profession that makes me privy to cruise ship crime. Unfortunately, there are things that happen that most people never hear of. However, the vast majority of it is preventable and usually induced by stupidity, like over consumption of alcohol.

As for your 16 year old walking the ship alone, she is very safe. That being said, use common sense. She is safe at most hours. Don't have her wandering around alone at bar closing time.

Also, the cruise line makes a difference also. Celebrity is a relatively safe cruise line. There are other lines, one in particular, that has a much higher crime rate.

Leave her at home? Odd suggestion.

Denny

I think this was said because it is obvious that the original poster is quite nervous about this and he/she was suggesting if this is something that is going to really cause worry - then the constant worry could ruin your vacation.

I am a nervous person as well - but I will say what everyone else has said. As long as she uses common sense, she will be fine. I have never been nervous while on a cruise, but I don't put myself into many situations where there would be cause for concern either.

I think that the first question you should ask is how reliable and well behaved is your grandaughter? If she has a tendancy to be wild and get into trouble at home, she will probably do the same at sea. But, if she is fairly well mannered and thinks before she acts, then she will be fine. You have to trust her to do the right thing. Besides, there are great security systems on the RCCL ships that are monitored at all times. Once she makes a couple of friends onboard, encourage her to do things in a group. My mother always told me that there was safety in numbers and that advice never failed me.

I also responded to you on the Celebrity thread...

What cruise line are you traveling? :confused:

I work in a profession that makes me privy to cruise ship crime. Unfortunately, there are things that happen that most people never hear of. However, the vast majority of it is preventable and usually induced by stupidity, like over consumption of alcohol.

As for your 16 year old walking the ship alone, she is very safe. That being said, use common sense. She is safe at most hours. Don't have her wandering around alone at bar closing time.

Also, the cruise line makes a difference also. Celebrity is a relatively safe cruise line. There are other lines, one in particular, that has a much higher crime rate.

Hi Paul,

I will be sailing for the first time without my husband - a girlfriend and I are hopping on Majesty for a short girls getaway cruise on Monday. Last night I was reading up on some incidences that had occurred to other women while cruising. I have travelled much of the world alone and consider myself a safe traveller, i.e., don't get myself into stupid situations. Much of what I read last night states that these "incidences" usually occur on the last night. While I have every intention of enjoying my get-away and relaxing I also plan to be extra vigilant. With your experience, would you have any additional advice? Much appreciated.

With your experience, would you have any additional advice? Much appreciated.

Of Royal Caribbean ships, I see the most incidents on Majesty. This has to do with it's short itineraries. Most of these incidents are domestic related. Others, as said earlier, are usually preceded by carelessness or a total lapse in judgment.

The two of you are very safe as long as common sense prevails. My advice is just stick together. If the two of you are in a bar late night and one decides to go to bed, the other is to go also. Do not remain there alone, advertising yourself as an intoxicated target. That's where the more serious crimes get their start.

Otherwise, just go and have fun. Do not become a "touron." ;)

Archived