Euro usage in Pay WC's in Italy/ Greece

ShipOFools

I understand the smallest Euro paper bill is 5 and the largest denomination of coins is 1 and 2 and that it appears in the pay toilets in Greece, Italy and the Med that there is a 1 Euro charge.

The question is are these 1 Euro coins collected to open stall doors? How do the pay WC's in Europe work exactly?:confused:

Usually they work like a turnstile. You drop in your coin and it allows you to move through. My DW had quite a funny moment with the WC "guard." She put her coin in but it wouldn't let her through. The guard said she didn't pay ... my DW, in her own unique style ... let him know that she did. As he finally let her through, in exasperation, the guard actually said "Mama Mia!!!"

I understand the smallest Euro paper bill is 5 and the largest denomination of coins is 1 and 2 and that it appears in the pay toilets in Greece, Italy and the Med that there is a 1 Euro charge.

The question is are these 1 Euro coins collected to open stall doors? How do the pay WC's in Europe work exactly?:confused:

Having just returned from a Mediterranean cruise yesterday,I feel I may be able to help.

Firstly, WC's (which is the usual signage for public toilets in Europe) are quite hard to find. In some places, like St Marks Square in Venice( virtually impossible).

Some cost 1.5 Euro and some 1 Euro. Most have attendants who collect the money and some have turnstiles so you need the exact coinage.

You also need to carry a small packet of tissues as toilet paper can be hard to come by.

All cafes, tavernas, bars, etc. have toilets and we sometimes paid the 1 Euro for a small coffee just to use their facilities. However, for this price one must stand at the counter to have the coffee. It is much more expensive if you sit at a table.

Smiling sweetly, asking nicely and looking desperate can also often work.

Can I ask why you posted a link to this thread?

because it answered your question, would be my guess after reading the thread.

True, it was easier than writing out the answer again. I don't understand why posters post the same question in more than one forum, instead of waiting to get an answer, but cross-posting is allowed on CC.

True, it was easier than writing out the answer again. I don't understand why posters post the same question in more than one forum, instead of waiting to get an answer, but cross-posting is allowed on CC.

There are a number of things in life that I don't understand. Like, why do they have the words "off" and "on" stamped on a light switch? IF the light is off you can't read it and if it's on you know where it is. :D

As far as the boards go, I am relatively new to cruising (am a retiired sailor so I can't really say I'm 'new' to cruising, now can I? :rolleyes:) and it took me a week or so to learn about board usage: searching, linking, etc. (I still don't know how to do a partial or multiple quote like you did).

In others defense, a number of people who do cruise are, how do I say this politely, 'mature' and don't fully understand the computer and don't fully appreciate the breadth and depth of the Criuise Critics boards . I'd rather believe that than think that they are too lazy to search on their own or to say thanks.

I am amazed, nay flabergasted, at the knowledge that experienced cruisers are willing to share without any feedback on how they are appreciated. I also like those who take the time to look up another thread and cite it so that they are not only informing but teaching how to use the site...LIKE YOU.

DW and I are taking our first (extended) cruise this September and I have to say a number of sites we are planning to see, tour guides we will use, restaurants where we will dine, and hotels we will use were found through recommendations from others on this site.

I hope, I hope that I have the time and patience to repay all after our cruise by sharing our trip. Because of the wonderful write ups that we have read, we are very much looking forward to our trip.

THANK YOU CRUISE CRITIC USERS!!

thanks all. and thanks for the backhanded rhetoric. I innocently posted on 2 threads because I thought that most readers would not cross look and I could double my chances for different kinds of answers. As expected I got snappy replies in the area of experienced cruise patrons and more helpful type advice in "ask a cruise question"

I wonder if there is a posting or website somewhere that explains all the ins and outs of this subject. Especially the situation at bars and places like that.

I ask because I have found it difficult in the past, in various places. In Spain a couple of years back, we had a private guide. She blithely went into the little canteen by a marvellous sea lookout, and bought a bottle of water I think, so that we, her charges, could use the facilities. But I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been doing this on my own, with the little Spanish I speak.

There are some very good pay toilets (M & F) in the basement of Roma Termini station. They're pay toilets, and they require €0.80. Unfortunately they don't give change, but as it happened we had lots with us. Well worth it after a long train ride up from Civitavecchia.

I've simply entered restraunts handed over a 1E coin and asked where the WC is (one of the phrases I've learned in all languages of the countries I've visited). If it is "ok" the person will generally wave me in the general direction of the restroom - if not they'll give me the coin back and shake their head (rare).

The cafe type places/coffee joints are generally very happy to take your change. McDonalds and the like are pretty common - you generally need to buy something there, but hey it's about the same price.

I have a roll of "Charmin to go" that I pick up in travel or camping section of my discount retailer that lives in my travel purse.

Have you seen this website?

http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/search.html

It lists where to find bathrooms in cities around the world, the fee and the general condition you can expect. This doesn't exactly answer the question OP asked but may be helpful.

Thank you, Grannycb, for that link!! I LOVE it and have already forwarded it to my "cruise crew"!

• 2 weeks later...

I packed a few quart size Ziploc baggies on the trip. Each day before departing ship, we'd spin a few turns of TP around our hands and place it in the bag, along with a few of those foil wrapped antiseptic Wet Ones. Expect that if you do find an unattended WC as posted, it won't have either TP, soap or paper towels.

I also carried some extra paper towels with me. Quite often the means of drying one's hands are the blow dryers. They can be weak, not work at all, or there is a long line for usage. I would rather dry my hands on a paper towel.

Archived