Manicures

One of the many things I want to splurge on during a cruise is getting my nails painted. There is no way I could do it myself - my right hand would look horrible - and I will travel alone. The reason I want to get a manicure onboard is during a two-week cruise, polish comes off, so if I get one before my trip by the last formal night I will need them painted again. Does anyone know if the ship staff are as good as manicurists in America? I will be on Crystal Serenity in 2012.

If you find someone at home that does either the OPI Axxium or Shellac you could have this done. Either would last for at least 2 weeks. I can go 3-4 weeks. The axxium is a gel and the Shellac is thinner.

Also remember things you do at home (ie dishes, cleaning) you will not do on a ship so your nail polish color will last longer and very possible will last 2 weeks. But if you want to splurge on a ship I am sure they will do them just fine... They do them all the time.

LOL, it took practice for me to do my own nails, using my left hand. Because I like to garden in the spring and summer time my acrylic nails come off and I just use a clear with a slight pink tint where the left hand doing right hand then becomes not much of an issue. Maybe you can start now giving yourself weeky manicures and use a clear and then have them done on the ship midway thru the cruise.

I dont have my nails done on board but for one formal night always have my hair done.... It does for me add to the enjoyment of the whole evening so I understand why you may want them done on the ship.

I have enjoyed reading your other posts, you are putting a lot of thought into your fashion for your upcoming cruise.

They do a nice job on Crystal ships.....expensive and comes with a sales pitch to buy their products.

Make your appointments very early in your cruise as there is big competition for salon services for formal nights. The repeat cruises who tip well get all the prime slots.

I never let them use their own tools and supply my own. Do that at home as well.

Agree with househunter re polish change versus manicure. I don't think that your polish will last two weeks (especially if you swim as much as I do!), but I've found a polish change to be sufficient upkeep, rather than paying for (and sitting through! -- I have better things to do onboard than sit in the salon, and those girls are s-l-o-w!) a whole manicure. Now, on Princess, a polish change is $19, not $11; I'm guessing on Crystal, it will be even a little higher. But then a manicure will be even more.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Two places I will be a lot are the pool and hot tub, so if nail polish is not waterproof, there is no way it will last two weeks. I think getting colors and patterns that did not exist 20 years ago would be cool because I have never gotten them painted since the only choices were red and pink.

Would putting a clear nail polish over the color help keep them that way for two weeks?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Two places I will be a lot are the pool and hot tub, so if nail polish is not waterproof, there is no way it will last two weeks. I think getting colors and patterns that did not exist 20 years ago would be cool because I have never gotten them painted since the only choices were red and pink.

Would putting a clear nail polish over the color help keep them that way for two weeks?

All polish is waterproof, the pool and hottubs are not going to harm your polish??:confused: But yes, putting a coat of clear on every few days will make your polish last longer. I would just get a manicure before you leave and have polish changes on the ship as needed. I don't understand your statement regarding pink and red??? There have been hundreds of colors for at least the 40+ years I have been alive.

1) Yes, nail polish will last two weeks. But you should be using a base coat, 2 thin coats of colour, then a clear top coat. Repeat the top coat every few days. This should keep it lasting despite frequent swimming.

Also, make sure your nails are free of oils before you put your polish on. Wipe the surface of the nail with a touch of alcohol or nail polish remover to remove this, and your polish will last longer.

A polish change will be less than a manicure in a salon - this might be your best option if you are sure you can't do it yourself.

2) Go looking for Shellac - it is a gel hybrid polish, brand new on the market, and has been getting great reviews. You don't have to have any aggressive prep on the nail beforehand, and it lasts without cracking or peeling. Fantastic stuff and perfect for holidays!

Things have changed in the nail world - take advantage of some great new products out there!

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the UV curred gel polish applied last Friday for the first time - one word FANTASTIC! I had a French and it still looks as good today as it did last week. The girls at the salon thought I will probably get 3 weeks wear from this since the new growth will not be as obvious with the clear polish as it would with a color. The added bonus is it is completely dry when the manicure is done, so I can go home and finish packing without worrying about spoiling my nails.

I just had the UV curred gel polish applied last Friday for the first time - one word FANTASTIC! I had a French and it still looks as good today as it did last week. The girls at the salon thought I will probably get 3 weeks wear from this since the new growth will not be as obvious with the clear polish as it would with a color. The added bonus is it is completely dry when the manicure is done, so I can go home and finish packing without worrying about spoiling my nails.

I get three weeks wear from mine. I have put a coat of regular polish on towards the end sometimes to freshen it up or if I wanted a different look. The regular polish really stays on too. You can take the regular polish off with non acetone remover. After having both the Shellac and Axxium products on, I prefer the Axxium. The Shellac is thinner but the Axxium holds up better.

I think it depends on how a persons nails grow. If your nails grow very slow two weeks isn't long, if your nails grow very fast (like mine), they look a disaster after 2 weeks. Personally I think even the best manicure starts to look ragged after a week. Gel does last longer, but it does show growth and the sheen isn't the same after 10 days or so.

So I think if you can afford the splurge, don't hesitate to make your appointment. You have almost 2 years to save for it, you may even consider getting manicures twice during the cruise. One after the first 6 days (since it will be a day or two old before even boarding) and one a week later, 2 or 3 days before disembarking.

I get three weeks wear from mine. I have put a coat of regular polish on toward the end sometimes to freshen it up or if I wanted a different look. The regular polish really stays on too. You can take the regular polish off with non acetone remover. After having both the Shellac and Axxium products on, I prefer the Axxium. The Shellac is thinner but the Axxium holds up better.

I'm not sure which brand was used, she said it was brand new and I think it has three initials (not OPI.) Good idea about using regular polish toward the end. It cost $42 + tip, so it's on the pricey side for a manicure, but I have problem nails and regular polish does not stay on more than a couple of days regardless of who does it or which polish is used. Mine was done last Friday and it is still as glossy as when I started. If I get 3 weeks I will be more than thrilled.

If you have a salon you really like near you, you could always get them done there and bring your polish with you for touch-ups. Or you could do a clear polish.

On the other hand, (pun intended) I understand that you can get a discount on spa services on port days. :)

:D

Archived