Motion Sickness

heyabbott

This comes up all the time [pun intended].

I sometimes get motion sickness [amusement park rides that spin] and I was afraid I'd get sick on our first HAL cruise.

I'd been on Premier's "Big Red Boat" with my kids back in the early 90s and got seasick on both cruises.

I bought the wristbands at a local drugstore here -- and voila! No seasickness at all.

They worked for me.

I took them off after the second day and never had a problem -- even in 17-foot seas and gale-force winds, when the boat was rockin' and rollin'!

The wristbands mentioned by Oceanwench are called SeaBands. They are available all all Walgreen's, CVS type stores. They must be worn on both wrists to be effective and many people say they have worked very well for them.

We rarely get seasick but always travel with an Rx we get from our doctor that we only take at the first sign of quesiness. It is called tigan and the few times we have needed it, it worked within 30 minutes for us. You may wish to talk with your physician about it.

Many others get excellent relief from bonine (meclizine). It can be purchased over the counter and lots of people say it works for them. That is what the ships have available at the front office for those who request something when the seas are rough.

My ex got so seasick one cruise she was looking for a gun. I talked her out of it...... :(

Seriously, Bonine works fine for us. If we have a problem it's usually in the first day or two. After that we're fine even if it gets rough. Guess we get our "sea legs".

I got seasick on my first four cruises. Then I found Bonaine and have not been sick since. (just did my 12th cruise). I usually only take it the first night then I wait and see if I will need it. IF not I don't take it.

Good luck!

Sail7Seas summed it up well.

DW is prone and after a small episode on sea day 1 she purchased Seabands onboard (day 2). She had no further events despite some nice swells. I will let you figure the placebo effect. I personally love rough weather.

Cheers

MarkB

To start with.. are you currently on any regular meds? If you are, check with your doctor before making a decision on OTC meds. For more of a natural remedy, Ginger works pretty good for many. It comes in tablet form or even simple Gingerale. I know many are sold on the OTC's, but personally I wouldn't recommend any of them without the advise of a doc. If you are healthy, just wait it out and if you do start to feel queezy, they have something at the front desk on most cruiseships.

On Maasdam16-Jan out of Norfolk.

Husband wore "the Patch." Within 24 hrs. he had an adverse effect..SEVERE confusion and disorientation. He had no idea just where he was. I feared that he had had a stroke! I took him to infirmary after my removing patch. Doc said that he would be ok in 8 hrs.-which he was...IT took a lot out of me!!!

HAL does not recommend the use of the "patch" because of the risk of serious side effects. HAL has Meclizine(Bonine) always available . Meclizine or Dramamine do not interfere with cardiac of blood pressure medications.

Believe me, this was the worst!! I had worn patch with no complications. However, I removed it once my husband had such terrific problems.

On Maasdam16-Jan out of Norfolk.

Husband wore "the Patch." Within 24 hrs. he had an adverse effect..SEVERE confusion and disorientation. He had no idea just where he was. I feared that he had had a stroke! I took him to infirmary after my removing patch. Doc said that he would be ok in 8 hrs.-which he was...IT took a lot out of me!!!

HAL does not recommend the use of the "patch" because of the risk of serious side effects. HAL has Meclizine(Bonine) always available . Meclizine or Dramamine do not interfere with cardiac of blood pressure medications.

Believe me, this was the worst!! I had worn patch with no complications. However, I removed it once my husband had such terrific problems.

I'm glad everything worked out and there were no long term effects. Was the patch a scopace patch?

http://www.motionsickness.net/ :

There are several important differences between SCOPACE tablets and the scopolamine patch. The patch provides a fixed dose. One fixed dose may not be appropriate for all patients. In contrast, you can easily titrate the SCOPACE dose to adjust for each person's weight and individual needs.

In a study conducted for NASA comparing oral and topical scopolamine, the patch was found to be one-half as effective as oral tablets in preventing motion sickness.

SCOPACE dissolves within minutes for quick absorption and onset of effect. In contrast, effective drug concentration is not achieved until some 6-8 hours after the patch is applied.

OTC drugs and Rx medicines have predictable benefits, but they also have potential side effects. For example, one side effect of SCOPACE is a temporary reduction of salivation causing relative dryness in the mouth. This can be remedied by drinking plenty of fluids. To minimize the risk of side effects, you should take as few tablets as is necessary. Your doctor or pharmacist can help recommend a low dose that best meets your needs.

As a prescription medicine, SCOPACE is covered under many healthcareand pharmacy insurance plans.

Sail7Seas summed it up well.

DW is prone and after a small episode on sea day 1 she purchased Seabands onboard (day 2). She had no further events despite some nice swells. I will let you figure the placebo effect. I personally love rough weather.

Cheers

MarkB

Do you really think it's all in the mind?

I was sure the Sea Bands were not going to work ... I just couldn't imagine how they did. I know it's supposed to be something about the pressure points.

Having been sick on two previous cruises, I was anxious the first night out. And if anyone is going to get seasick, it would be me!

The bands worked.

I get motion sickness if I'm parked in my car and the car next to me rolls back!

Our very good friends like to cruise but of the couple, she always gets seasick. He is an Internist and has tried just about every drug remedy you can think of and none of them helped her all that well. Some better than others.

Years ago, she and I had both read about Sea Bands when they first came out. He overheard us talking about them on the telephone one day and laughingly teased us that he didn't think they were likely to help much. I asked him if there was any way they could hurt her and he said No. So...I said you've tried most everything in your bag of tricks without dependable success. So....let her try it.

She bought several sets of them in case her sons wanted to try them on their cruise.

She put them on as instructed as soon as she boarded the ship.

She was Fine!! The entire cruise, she did not get seasick.

He, of course, said....all in her head. But, okay, if it worked, it worked.

I, of course, said.....If it was all in her head that they worked, why did nothing that you prescribed help her? Wouldn't something of those have 'been all in her head' and have worked.

End of long story......she has used them for at least 6 cruises now and has never been seasick while using them.

Will they work as well for everyone? Probably not. There are folks here who say they did them no good at all. Did they place them properly on their wrists? Who knows? Did they use both? Who knows. I've seen people on the ships wearing only one. I've seen them wearing them way too far up their arm. If not used properly, they will not work.

It is non-invasive. There is no drug to it. It cannot hurt. Why not try them? Even in conjunction with some other remedy if you are concerned you will be ill.

Concerning the use of wrist bands, the following might be appropriate.

An older gentleman lived in the heart of Manhattan. On his porch was a very large, ugly carving of a lion. When a friend came for a visit, he asked the older gentleman why he kept such an ugly statue on his front porch. The older gentleman replied "To keep away the tigers!". He fried laughed and said "There aren’t any tigers within a hundred mile of here". To which the older gentleman replied "See, it works!".

I totally agree with the Meclizine. We take one and hour before sailing and have had no problems. It works like Dramamine, but costs half the $$. Also, check with you Dr., but it hasn't had any effects with BP meds.

Alice in FLicon7.gif

Archived