independance of the seas HELP!!

:confused: Firstly hi to all! My husband and myself booked last year for the italian med cruise. I asked when booking what its like and I was told FAB. Have been reading loads of reviews about it, and to me it sounds really bad. We are travelling in the next few weeks and I am panicking that I have done the wrong thing.

Is their a positive side to the Indy please help.

We were aprehensive when we went last year because of the size of her but we loved it.

The whole experience was great and we have booked again for Xmas and New Year.

Although big we found it easy to find our way around.

Entertainment brilliant.

Ice rink unmissable.

Food great.

Service great.

I am sure you will enjoy.

Hmmm..Someone badmouthing INDY :mad:.....Impossible if they have been on her..The only thing bad to say is she left FLL for Southampton...:( But that's not her fault !!!!!

:confused: Firstly hi to all! My husband and myself booked last year for the italian med cruise. I asked when booking what its like and I was told FAB. Have been reading loads of reviews about it, and to me it sounds really bad. We are travelling in the next few weeks and I am panicking that I have done the wrong thing.

Is their a positive side to the Indy please help.

Hi Holey

We have just returned from the Indy, it wasn't the cruise we planned but the Volcano changed our plans.

We had a lovely balcony cabin, brilliant room stewart, great weather and calm seas what more can you ask for really.:)

We were not mad on all of the entertainment, some of the shows are repeats of previous cruises, but if you read the cruise compass guide that is delivered and join in the things that appeal to you I am sure you will have a great cruise.

The alcoholic drinks are pricey, but this is partly due to the poor dollar £ exchange rate and does include the mandatory gratuity, lemonade/punch tea coffee is always available free of charge.

any specific queries just ask and I will try to oblige.

Jean

Hi Holey

We have just returned from the Indy, it wasn't the cruise we planned but the Volcano changed our plans.

We had a lovely balcony cabin, brilliant room stewart, great weather and calm seas what more can you ask for really.:)

We were not mad on all of the entertainment, some of the shows are repeats of previous cruises, but if you read the cruise compass guide that is delivered and join in the things that appeal to you I am sure you will have a great cruise.

The alcoholic drinks are pricey, but this is partly due to the poor dollar £ exchange rate and does include the mandatory gratuity, lemonade/punch tea coffee is always available free of charge.

any specific queries just ask and I will try to oblige.

Jean

Hi ya Jean.

We have done royal Carribbean last year but it was on a smaller boat. I have heard that you cant get into any of the lounges, its was very crowded nowhere to sit!. Also Nowhere to sit by the pool. Last week it was said that you had the norovirus is that correct?

We have anytime dining and apparntley their is an issue with this, you cant get in the times you would like.

Im not a fussy person but would love a nice relaxing cruise.

Did you do the italian med?

You haven't done the wrong thing, I just got off Indy on Saturday and it's an amazing place to be! The only bad thing about it, is that they make you get off at the end :-(

Jem, you must have been on the same cruise as me?

You haven't done the wrong thing, I just got off Indy on Saturday and it's an amazing place to be! The only bad thing about it, is that they make you get off at the end :-(

Thanks for your quick response hopefully we will enjoy. Thankyou for putting my mind at ease.

We did the Italian Med cruise on the Indy last year and it was amazing. Two weeks of sheer heaven.

On Indy, you have choices. You can find a nice quiet area to chill out or you can join in or watch many of the activities that are going on. We get bored sitting on a sunbed all day so we spent some of our time watching the Flowrider, watching the Ice Shows, mini golf, shopping, too many Danish Pastries and so on.

The only thing I didn't like was that we had to get off after 2 weeks. Usually after 10 days on a land based holiday, I am ready to go home but on Indy, I was ready to take up permanent residence!

I would go again tomorrow given the chance - I just wish they would vary the itinerary.

You'll have a great time.

Gail

Hi ya Jean.

We have done royal Carribbean last year but it was on a smaller boat. I have heard that you cant get into any of the lounges, its was very crowded nowhere to sit!. Also Nowhere to sit by the pool. Last week it was said that you had the norovirus is that correct?

We have anytime dining and apparntley their is an issue with this, you cant get in the times you would like.

Im not a fussy person but would love a nice relaxing cruise.

Did you do the italian med?

Hi Holey

We did late dining, on our last 2 cruises we did My time, thought it was great, this time we asked for a large table unfortunately we were put with just two ladies, who were very nice but not we had requested, we stuck it out but definitely my time in future. If you get a waiter you like and prefer to eat at a set time just book the next night when you leave the dining room.

Recommend you try the dining room on the Sea days (Bistro 30) it is very civilised, we also enjoyed Johnny Rockets for breakfast (you don't pay for english breakfast at JR's.)

Early dining was popular and consequently so were the early shows, late shows were half empty.

Ice shows are usually popular but if you don't bother to queue for tickets I am fairly sure you would still get in if you turned up at 5 mins before show started or at least thats what we did. By the way the queue looks very long but moves quickly as no transaction takes a place.

We got seats in the adult pool area on most days and if not there is loads of sun beds up on deck 12 and it was really lovely up there, you could look out of the glass sides of the ship out to sea.

Yes there was Norovirus on the Ship but we weren't affected other than lots of hand cleaning. The staff were working very hard constantly cleaning.

Yes we did Italian Med, but as we have done most of the stops before we didn't get off the Ship in Gibralter or Rome this time. Lovely relaxing days on the Ship.

Jean

Hi Baron

Yes we did the same cruise, fab crossing both ways wasn't it?

Jean

Jean hi agin Could you please tell me what is Bistro 7 also could you tell me whats the best lounge bars to go to? if we eat later would we get somewhere to relax?

Thankyou so much for all the info you have given me.

Recommend you try the dining room on the Sea days (Bistro 30) it is very civilised, we also enjoyed Johnny Rockets for breakfast (you don't pay for english breakfast at JR's.)

Johnny Rockets open for Breakfast on Indie??

Bistro 30 is what they call the lunch in the MDR on sea days. Waiter service, nice menu, and a great buffet area where they will make up salads etc for you and cook pasta to order. Makes a pleasant change from the WindJammer.

Of course there are tons of places to sit and have a quiet drink after dinner - our favourite is the Viking Crown Lounge at the top for a cocktail - great views of the sea and usually quiet until the music starts around 10p.

Hi Baron

Yes we did the same cruise, fab crossing both ways wasn't it?

Jean

Yes, except for one night in each direction when the ship was rolling a bit! We were standing at the back of the 9:00pm hypnotist act early in the first week and the ship lurched so hard at one point as people were getting up to leave a lot of people fell back in their seats!

We didn't get off the ship in Rome either, we'd spent a week there for our honeymoon a few years back so we stayed on the ship, we tried to swim in the solarium pool but it was full of weird insects!! They were all over the outside areas while we were in Rome!!

• 3 weeks later...

Library, just go to the library and pick out any book you want, hard backs are usually RCI ones but paperbacks are left by other guests when they finish reading them,when you are finished take them back and drop in return box, all nice and simple.

One new idea they are trying is for breakfast,a la carte is on deck 4 each morning and self service buffet is on deck 3 main dining room,we found this to be great, you take your seat, they ask what you want to drink ie tea or coffee bring it to you and fill a glass of orange juice then off you go, everything you could want is on the buffet, well maybe not pancakes or fried eggs but there are scrambled ones.

They wander round all the time with toast too.

Windjammer is still available if that is what you want.

Hi Missus,

Now why have the brekkie on two decks? Duplicated staff. They do the Brasserie 30 lunch menu on the same deck as the salad bar. Did you notice that a part of the salad bar is now self-service? Does it really require three chefs? Most people would be content with a normal salad and not everything mushed (sorry, tossed:D) together. In fact, I was unpopular last year for requesting a proper flat plate (charger) and not a soup plate. Now a choice thank goodness. Also, unpopular for requesting lemon wedges - you have to request the invidivual waiters for these - they have a blind spot to putting them out on the buffet. They want us all to get scurvey? Hehehehe!!! Waste of staff time.

If they did the a la carte brekkie and buffet on the same deck and had two dedicated busboys just clearing and setting-up the tables very fast (like Cheesecake Factory) there would be less staff required.

These saved hours would be better used opening the dining room for lunch every day.

I say that six WOMEN should be appointed for a week to get this ship running sensibly.

I particularly enjoyed popping my head round the 'closed' Portofino at lunchtime and seeing staff eating there - protected from the hurly-burly the guests were experiencing. :D

A whisper tells me that they are considering opening the dining room every day - hope its not just rumour. I LOVE the lunch in the MDR - highlight of my day.

Hi Misses and BMT - Lovely to have met you last week! Hope you both enjoyed your trip?!

To OP - got off the Indy on Sat (:( wanted to stay!)

Our first time on her, loved her, lots to do on board, cruise compass very helpful for things going on. Loved the Flowrider and Climbing wall, staff were great and CD Joff Eaton was entertaining.

Ice Shows great, Headliners good too, don't miss Once Upon a Time.

Guest Entertainers were hit & miss for me, especially the Male Impressionist - he was dire, lots of people walked out. I'd give him a miss.

Only down point for me was the Windjammer - some mealtimes were so busy your struggled to find a seat. We ended up searching first, then one of us sat down and other got their food and then swopped.

I'd suggest dining room for breakfast and lunch as much more civilized!

Enjoy her, she is great!!

Have a fab holiday!

Archived