Time to put this rumor to rest - Tier level requirement changes to C&A

I totally agree that the short cruises shouldn't be valued as great as the longer one. The FL ( and formally the CA )cruisers seem to be able to go for a weekend cruise , even on short notice, sometime and get the benefits quickly. We who have further to travel, can't accumulate credits as quickly.

What she didn't mention in the article which I know will be part of the restructuring is that cruise credits will be based on days sailed. So the days of fattening your cruise credit totals with 3-4 day cruises on Majesty and Monarch for instance will soon be coming to an end. And to be honest I think that change is long overdue. Why should someone who sails an 11 night cruise receive the same amount of credit as someone who sailed a three night cruise. It never made any sense to me.

Recent quote from press briefing by Betsy O'Roark, SVP Marketing, RCCL.

"In addition, she confirmed that Royal Caribbean has been evaluating other program options— including the possibility of increasing what's required to reach the top tier, and, in turn, rewarding those who get to that top tier in a more robust way.

But she also stressed that if the line would choose to take that type of step, any existing Crown & Anchor Society members would be "grandfathered" in under present tier levels."

That is great to hear. Someone had me counting the number of cruise nights I have sailed.:D

It's still a rumor that another tier will be added, and exactly when the program will change.

Let's hope that RCCL can do a better job this time than they did last September 1st. I heard grumbling for months afterwards.

Rick

I guess it's all about being "robust" these days.:rolleyes: Does this mean that the new tier within C&A will be the Robust Level??

Part of a quote from Adam Goldstein's blog...."booking bonus to be as robust as possible"....

Part of a quote from Betsy O'Roark's press briefing......"rewarding those who get to that top tier in a more robust way".

I guess it's all about being "robust" these days.:rolleyes: Does this mean that the new tier within C&A will be the Robust Level??

Part of a quote from Adam Goldstein's blog...."booking bonus to be as robust as possible"....

Part of a quote from Betsy O'Roark's press briefing......"rewarding those who get to that top tier in a more robust way".

I think you have the "catch word" Patti. Robust.

Now, why didn't I think of that??:rolleyes::D

Rick

Interesting topic of conversation!

Although I've taken many short cruises (since we live near a port) I booked Junior Suites which gave me two credits, rather than one. It should be noted, however, that many of the shorter cruises in a JS cost me MORE than a 7 night cruise!

We have branched out to try new cruise lines and very happy that we did. We'll still come back to RCCL regardless of what happens.

I don't think they will have much of a choice when it comes to grandfathering in those of us who have attained D+ status. You have to keep the masses happy! :p:DLOL!

I think they should set the levels more in-line with the tier levels of the other cruise lines.

I have 17 cruises with Royal and if I would have choosen another line to sail with instead of Royal I would have been at the top tier on 3 of the cruiselines. (If I figured it out right).

For instance Princess Elite is 16 cruise's.

25 cruises on one cruiseline is hard to get for some of us, especially on the west coast. Most of my cruises have been 7, 10, 11, 12 night. I only have 3 short cruises.

Now their going to change it agian. I'll never make DP.

I must add my 2 cents....When looking at cruises I always have leaned towards RCCL because I wanted to get to Diamond+ (I am almost there, probably this fall) ....now if after reaching that status they demote me in a big way by not allowing the CL lounge to us or whatever else they come up with to make DIamond+ just an OK position I will probably not be as loyal to them as I have. My husband needs more cruises than I to get to Diamond+ and I have to say if I reach it he should be able to join me at any offered Diamond+ event or then why would I go alone. I can understand children not being able to be upgraded but a husband or wife being made equal makes perfect sense to me.

If the changes are drastic, I will make price & itinerary much more important than it has been so far (mainly because I wanted to get to DIamond+ level). MANY times Princess or Holland has a better deal for a spacific date but often I have paid more thinking in the long run I will be blessed with the Diamond+ benefits.....if these are taken away I will most definately be less loyal in the future to RCCL. Since we are reaching retirement that would mean more than the 2 cruises we take now per year.

I think all businesses need to think about the bottom line HOWEVER my business has flurished because or repeat & referral business of my past clients and for that I am very grateful and will reward them however I can to maintain their loyalty.

RCCL may see a real decline in past passenger loyalty if they drastically make changes. I think they know what will work for them and I too think that grandfathering is essential for past loyal customers and new guidelines are necessay for RCCL to be a thriving company that continues to make their past passengers feel special with good benefits.

Making their coupon books a valuable asset is definately where they can make improvements. Many times I have not used one coupon & left the book in the cabin...I was on a cruise over June1st and I only used 1 coupon....I used to use many. They made some changes to these on June 1st but we didn't see them on our cruise. Who wants 2 for one.....we want 1 free.

Happy sailing....I too look forward to my next cruise and with all the hubbub over status & benefits.......for the first time in years I haven't looked to RCCL as my first option.

Maybe Robust, means longer cruises and not many short ones?

Although I've taken many short cruises (since we live near a port) I booked Junior Suites which gave me two credits, rather than one. It should be noted, however, that many of the shorter cruises in a JS cost me MORE than a 7 night cruise!

quote]

Yes, that is so true! Just off a 4 night Majesty in a JS (we wanted a balcony, and that's the only way to get it on that ship), and while the JS on Majesty is a bit smaller than a normal balcony cabin, we paid just as much for the 4 nights as we've paid for a 7-nighter! yes, we did get 2 cruise credits, but it was by no means a cheap cruise.

Cheers,

Mary

we were away for most of this--so we are in the dark....

we are Elite on Celebrity & get Diamond perks on Royal as a result...will that still be true?

(hate to lose out on the free cheap-o wine & trailmix but would enjoy the internet & some of the newer perks)

Aside from our Elite status on X, we have 7 on Royal ,so now 3 away from Diamond...will we get there in 3 or must we count days on ships back to our first Royal cruise on Sovereign...?

or should we just forget about it!!!...

My best advice: If you are near your next loyalty level, say you are approaching Diamond Plus or Diamond, I would strongly recommend you reach that level before the end of the year. If this is not possible it's not the end of the world. :)

A few observations...

1. "Robust" sounds substantial and exciting but isn't clearly defined (on purpose?).

2. It sounds like some people are willing to book extra cruises or buy credits to lock in a benefit tier before something unknown happens next January (good marketing by RCCL?)

Questions...

Has anyone calculated a book value on each tiers real value?

Who values loyalty more, the Cruise Company or the Cruiser?

We have branched out to try new cruise lines and very happy that we did. We'll still come back to RCCL regardless of what happens.

I don't think they will have much of a choice when it comes to grandfathering in those of us who have attained D+ status. You have to keep the masses happy! :p:DLOL!

Yes, that is so true! Just off a 4 night Majesty in a JS (we wanted a balcony, and that's the only way to get it on that ship), and while the JS on Majesty is a bit smaller than a normal balcony cabin, we paid just as much for the 4 nights as we've paid for a 7-nighter! yes, we did get 2 cruise credits, but it was by no means a cheap cruise.

Cheers,

Mary

And if you had taken that as a seven day cruise in a "regular" cabin on a ship that was sailing 7 day (night, really) itineraries, you would have received ONE cruise credit.

You received two.

I'm not sure what your complaint is.

With the cruise line moving from the West coast, I'm stuck at Gold forever:eek:

I'm keeping the faith that they'll give us a ship again in the next year or two.

I think they should set the levels more in-line with the tier levels of the other cruise lines.

I have 17 cruises with Royal and if I would have choosen another line to sail with instead of Royal I would have been at the top tier on 3 of the cruiselines. (If I figured it out right).

For instance Princess Elite is 16 cruise's.

25 cruises on one cruiseline is hard to get for some of us, especially on the west coast. Most of my cruises have been 7, 10, 11, 12 night. I only have 3 short cruises.

Now their going to change it agian. I'll never make DP.

And Princess counts a 1-nighter as a full cruise, too.:p

And if you had taken that as a seven day cruise in a "regular" cabin on a ship that was sailing 7 day (night, really) itineraries, you would have received ONE cruise credit.

You received two.

I don't see any complaining, just a statement of fact.

I'm keeping the faith that they'll give us a ship again in the next year or two.

And Princess counts a 1-nighter as a full cruise, too.:p

I don't see any complaining, just a statement of fact.

Hi Jean! No complaining here. Ah, to have the Monarch back again!:D:D

You received two.

Complaint? No complaining here! I loved the Monarch, her crew, and all the folks that cruised with us! I'm just stating fact. If you take what it costs for a 3 night cruise (cost per day) and compare that to a (cost per day) for a 7-night cruise, they are very similar. In the end, all RCCL wants is the revenue. Giving us credit for short cruises is fine with me. In fact, whatever RCCL does is fine with me. I have options.:)

My best advice: If you are near your next loyalty level, say you are approaching Diamond Plus or Diamond, I would strongly recommend you reach that level before the end of the year. If this is not possible it's not the end of the world. :)

Would you also suggest that for getting to 49+? I often travel solo and I'm looking forward to the reduced single supplement. Do you expect that perk to change?

Would you also suggest that for getting to 49+? I often travel solo and I'm looking forward to the reduced single supplement. Do you expect that perk to change?

Haven't heard anything specific about that, but nothing would surprise me.

A few observations...

1. "Robust" sounds substantial and exciting but isn't clearly defined (on purpose?).

2. It sounds like some people are willing to book extra cruises or buy credits to lock in a benefit tier before something unknown happens next January (good marketing by RCCL?)

Questions...

Has anyone calculated a book value on each tiers real value?

Who values loyalty more, the Cruise Company or the Cruiser?

Obviously it would depend on how often someone cruises and receives the perks. If someone only cruises once every couple of years then perks aren't as important compared to someone who cruises multiple times a year.

Even if they "grandfather" in the D+, it doesn't mean they won't change the perks!

LOL.........that's exactly what I was going to say.........:D They didn't change our Diamond level, but they took the CL benefit from us on Voyager and Radiance Class ships and now offer us wine, champ and sometimes peanuts!!! LOL I'll never be D+ if they change the number of credits you need and at this point, I don't care. Since we only cruised on RCCL ships, now we're looking at other lines to see how they compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived