vaandam buy liquor for stateroom on arrival?

richnorto

:) I've read several "old" posts regarding the ability to buy liquor for in-room consumption on HAL at embarktion only. What is the current policy? We are cruising on March 19 and would like to know if this is an available option what is available as far as scotch. My husband is particular and prefers Johnny Walker "red" - yes he likes the bite...? I know you can no longer bring your own aboard, but is it available and at what cost? Is this type even available? I know he will not be happy paying per drink by the bottle in our room while we dress for dinner (ie.. buy the bottle by the shot and 15%). Please let me know the current policy. Thanks, Laurie

You can definitely order it, and even tho they have it listed only in packages (or whatever they call it), tell them you want the liter bottle and not the package. The packages are like vodka w/tonic, bourbon w/coke, etc. etc. You just want the bon voyage liter. You have to call HAL. We had to call them several times until we found someone who would list it. Once you are on board, order it from room service if you need more.

Vaandam travels out of Port Canaveral - for the time being. I've heard rumors she's moving next year. She's an S class ship?? Correct me if I misspeak because I'm not even clear on what that is! She holds 1450 pax, was built in 2000 and I've not heard many bad comments. All room upgrades were supposedly completed. If anyone knows more, I'd like any info. I've read reviews before dry dock and they seemed fine. She'll be a great cruise.:)

You can wait and order a bottle once you are on the Zaandam - either from room service or from any bar tender. Price is usually arounf $25 a bottle - some brands cost more.

But - remember that if you order any drinks or alcohol before you are ten miles from the Florida coast, not only will you pay the 15% gratuity, you will also pay a 6% Florida tax.

Vaandam travels out of Port Canaveral - for the time being. I've heard rumors she's moving next year. She's an S class ship?? Correct me if I misspeak because I'm not even clear on what that is! She holds 1450 pax, was built in 2000 and I've not heard many bad comments. All room upgrades were supposedly completed. If anyone knows more, I'd like any info. I've read reviews before dry dock and they seemed fine. She'll be a great cruise.:)

HAL has a ship named ms Zaandam and a ship named ms Veendam. Zaandam sails from Port Canaveral.

Veendam sails from Tampa.

If you are referring to Zaandam, it is no rumor but established fact that Zaandam will sail from FLL next year. HAL is not scheduled to have a ship sailing out of Port Canaveral next year.....as of now.

You best check exactly which ship you are sailing on.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise which ever ship you are on. They are both wonderful ships.

We're on the Oosterdam Feb 26th but I'm confused about purchasing liquor for consumption onboard, below is a quote directly from their website:

"Please note: Other than wine and/or champagne, bottles of alcoholic beverages purchased onboard or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. If the bottles are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call, they will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff and Housekeeping Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases. "

So I'm glad some-one has actually bought and consumed on board, was it ordered from room service or pre-ordered before boarding?

That paragraph refers to alcoholic beverages bought from the DUTY FREE SHOPS on board.

The beverages for consumption in the cabin are purchased either ahead of time through ship's services or on boad from the food and beverage department (room service).

The price from the duty free shops is significantly less than the room service price.

In August of 2003, we were on Amsterdam. At that time, it was permitted to buy liquor from the duty free shop, and take it back to your cabin if you paid some premium ($5.00 comes to mind, but I don't remember exactly how much).

Does anyone know if this policy is still in effect?

No, this is no longer the case. It will be secured away and delivered at the end of the cruise. Liquor for in-cabin consumption must be ordered ahead of time or from room service. The prices were not at all prohibitive. I dont remember exactly, but I think a 1 liter bottle of Stolichaya vodka was around $25, which includes 2 cans of tonic. Premium brands like Grey Goose were considerably more expensive. Selection is good. Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576. They can provide current prices.

HAL contacts:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/contacts/cmpyList.do

Tim

I just called H/A and ordered two litter bottles of Stolichnaya to be delivered to our stateroom at embarkation for our May Oosterdam cruise. Price was $29.00 a bottle (roughly comparable to the price here in Texas). Much better than trying to carry a bottle of liquor on the airplane plus trying to smuggle it onto the ship. Now next question, we drink diet 7-UP or diet Sprite. I doubt either would be available on the ship, can we buy soda in Seattle and carry onto the ship? The folks at phone number jaguarstyper gave in his/her post will take your order for liquor for delivery on the day you sail. Thanks in advance

Mike, since HAL has Coca Cola products, diet Sprite should be available. If you want to make absolutely sure why not ask your TA to contact HAL to check? If it would not otherwise be available HAL can on-load a supply for your cruise.

Archived