Eurodam/Westerdam - What ship next???

like friends

We were on the Eurodam in December, had a great time, the service and food were great!! Went Eastern C. Several years ago, we were on the Westerdam (western C.) and the service, food and help were not very good. Looking for another relaxing cruise in December again, but the Eurodam has the same cruise we were just on, Does anyone know if the Westerdam has changed over the past 3 years to the same standard of the Eurodam. Need suggestions for a great ship, Half Moon Cay is a must, some ships do not stop there. Been to Mexico also, and really don't want to repeat the same cruise, we were in St. Thomas, but not St. Maarten. SUGGESTIONS ANYONE FOR A GREAT SHIP LIKE EURODAM, WOULD LOVE TO TAKE IT AGAIN, BUT DON'T WANT TO GO TO SAME PORTS, AFTER ALL, HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU GO TO GRAND TURK. WE WERE LUCKY IN DECEMBER, ONLY SHIP THERE, SO THE BEACH WAS GREAT.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT:)

Did B2B on Westerdam this past January - there is a spot where you can find out who the chef is and apparently it makes a difference - our chef was awesome and the food over the two weeks was great. We also love the Eurodam and have liked their food. A couple of years ago we were on the Westerdam in the MEd and then 6 months later in the Caribbean and I could not believe the difference - someone explained that it depends on the region and the chef so when we did the Caribbean and the food was god I was pleased - we will be on her next April. Good luck with your plans- Heads up - we did not have much luck at HMC - one week it was cold and the second - bad seas - if you want good weather - go as far south as you can. Check out the Nieux Amsterdam - I think that is what it is- will be about a year old - it is doing the Caribbean and may have some different spot - hear it is much like the Eurodam.

I was on the Westerdam this past December. Since it was my first HAL cruise I have no basis for comparison, but I had no complaints about the food (as evidenced by the weight I gained). If you're sick of Grand Turk, then forget the Nieuw Amsterdam Eastern Caribbean itinerary because the only difference from the Eurodam is substituting St. Marteen for St. Thomas.

If you're a fan of sea days, the Westerdam Southern Caribbean itinerary can't be beat -- Half Moon, Aruba and Curacao and 3 sea days.

I just disembarked from the Westerdam on 5/16. I thought the ship was lovely, the service excellent, and the food delicious.

This was the first time on a Vista/Signature class ship that I thought the crew deserved extra tips. The lounge stewards were particularly good.

The service was better than I had on the E-dam on every score.

I just disembarked from the Westerdam on 5/16. I thought the ship was lovely, the service excellent, and the food delicious.

This was the first time on a Vista/Signature class ship that I thought the crew deserved extra tips. The lounge stewards were particularly good.

The service was better than I had on the E-dam on every score.

Glad you also had a very good cruise on the Westerdam RuthC as we did last year.

Our next cruise is on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November, however we are looking at the Westerdam for the spring of 2011 as we really enjoyed the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
We were on the Eurodam in December, had a great time, the service and food were great!! Went Eastern C. Several years ago, we were on the Westerdam (western C.) and the service, food and help were not very good. Looking for another relaxing cruise in December again, but the Eurodam has the same cruise we were just on, Does anyone know if the Westerdam has changed over the past 3 years to the same standard of the Eurodam. Need suggestions for a great ship, Half Moon Cay is a must, some ships do not stop there. Been to Mexico also, and really don't want to repeat the same cruise, we were in St. Thomas, but not St. Maarten. SUGGESTIONS ANYONE FOR A GREAT SHIP LIKE EURODAM, WOULD LOVE TO TAKE IT AGAIN, BUT DON'T WANT TO GO TO SAME PORTS, AFTER ALL, HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU GO TO GRAND TURK. WE WERE LUCKY IN DECEMBER, ONLY SHIP THERE, SO THE BEACH WAS GREAT.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT:)

We were on the Westerdam last year. the food (and service) was fantastic.

Hey, come join us- we are doing a 14 day b2b cruise on the Westerdam in December. It will be a Eastern/Southern itinerary, and the prices can't be beat! We have never been on her, but we figure any HAL ship is a good bet.

Have sailed E'dam and W'dam, last time for both ships being last year (2009). Food and service were great on both. But, I also, like jtl513, suggest you might try Noordam. She was doing 10-day cruises this winter, not seven-day ones, and I believe is still doing so, alternating southern and eastern Carib. Not sure if you have the time, but you might check out the itineraries to see if they suit you. HMC was on both routes.

We've sailed on the current Noordam three times now, the latest being this winter, and have enjoyed each time very much. She is our favorite of the current HAL fleet, because of the layout of public rooms and the two excellent captains that alternate. The food, service and help this last time (Feb-Mar 2010) were excellent. The Hotel Manager, Mark Pells, was a jewel and ran a superb operation.

But, Eurodam and Westerdam are also good as well -- we enjoyed both ships. Also, have you thought of one of the smaller S or R class ships? We have sailed a few times on S class, and appreciated that experience.

Hope this helps,

Dave

We sailed the Eurodam Eastern Caribbean in April 2009 and Europe in July 2009.

Sailed the Westerdam Baltic July 2005 and Southern Caribbean March 2008. We experienced the best service we have ever had on the Westerdam in March 2008 (in our opinion even better than the Prinsendam).

I agree with the suggestion of trying a smaller R or S class ship. The R Class Zaandam is one of our favorites.

Have been on both in the past year or so (Eurodam twice) and agree that both are excellent choices.

Especially agree with RuthC that the Westerdam Lounge staff was exceptional. In the Piano Bar, THEY presented US with a small memento gift on the last night.

Hopefully, our cruises on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam will be just as nice!

Whichever you choose, you will not be disappointed!

We were on the Westerdam in November and a B to B on Noordam in April. Food on both were excellent except for the fish dishes. Fish is one of those dishes that don't lend itself to mass production. All shellfish were excellent though. We have passed our 100 days on HAL and never had better service in dining room. All other dishes were well prepared and large portions. One cannot help but enjoy the experience.

Doing the Eurodam in October and frankly I don't know how it could be better except by bringing in Chef Eric Ripert of LeBernadin in NYC. Top fish restaurant. I'm dreaming. LOL. :'-)

Archived