Help me find luggage!

TurtleLove

Random Question!

We have never flown for a cruise, because we live so close to many departing ports. This cruise we will be flying to Seattle to meet our ship. I am looking to purchase a suitcase for the cruise, what size would be large enough to carry all my luggage, but be small enought to check? The luggage sizes are kind of confusing... is 28" for a suitcase too big??

It is either 25" or 28"??

A 25" suitcase should meet all the allowable requirements of your airline and that is your clue. Check the airline web site to determine their size requirements.

After you know the dimensions then look for light weight luggage. Also consider a duffle bag. We usually travel with a lightweight suitcase and a duffle or two depending on the length of the trip/cruise.

Have a great cruise.

It is VERY easy to find that a full 28" (or 29") suitcase is way over the weight limits of US airlines (50 lbs). Recently, I had a 28" that wasn't anywhere near full, yet tipped the scales at 68 lbs. Luckily, I had a 70 pound per bag allowance, but you get the picture.

I would echo the suggestion to look into some type of duffle, if you don't need the "protective" style of a traditional box suitcase. Both Eagle Creek and Ebag make some decent rolling ones that won't fall apart on the first use.

28" is fine on size. If you fly on SW (Southwest to those who only speak gibberish codespeak), two such bags fly free, subject to the same weight limitations.

50 pounds is 50 pounds, so you might want to invest in a portable scale to weigh your bag(s) for the flight back.

In between, cruise lines don't have a weight limit, or fees, on bags. They may make suggestions, oh well. If you do any shopping in Seattle before the cruise, you can add the merchandise to your cruise luggage. ;)

I think mine is a respectable 29"!

We take 28" suitcases. If you fill them to the brim they wil exceed the 50 pound limit so we don't. We fit them comfortably. We also get one that has what is called a suiter so you can hang a few items as well. 25" is too small and 29" is to large in terms of not being able to take advantage of the size when filling it up.

I highly recommend a 28" one.

Keith

Just bought a 28" Eagle Creek wheelie on sale at Container Store sale. They are online. 9.6 lbs. and lifetime guaranty .All sizes available. I have a 22" Samsonite must be 12 yrs old which I take for land trips. I may buy a new one; Samsonite scores tops on luggage polls. Only signs of wear is on piping, probably from airlines. Stay away from the real cheap bags which have inferior wheels.

You want to fit everything in one bag? Remember that the wheels, handle, etc. are part of the size. That usually is more of a factor for carry-on bags, since they should fit into overhead bins (many people try to bring on large bags in order to get around the checked baggage fees). Any airline's Web site will have a section spelling out the size and weight limits. If you're in doubt about them, just phone the airline. Best to know the regs yourself before buying. I don't trust "airline approved" and other labels manuacturers might put on bags since I bought carriers to transport our pets on a flight. We ended up to ditch the carrier we'd bought and buying one from the airline at the airport. Some airlines do sell bags at their counters (e.g., American Airlines at BWI), but I don't think you'd want to wait.

BTW, as someone on this or another board keeps pointing out, SW is the designation for Air Namibia, and WN is the designation for Southwest (Southwest for those who DON'T know all the airline code gibberish). I know airport codes pretty well, since I sometimes fly to places airline reps aren't familiar with, but airline codes are tougher.

In between, cruise lines don't have a weight limit, or fees, on bags. They may make suggestions, oh well. If you do any shopping in Seattle before the cruise, you can add the merchandise to your cruise luggage.

Not true; many cruise lines have a baggage limit, such as:

Carnival:

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W x 30"L.

NCL:

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds

Do they enforce this? No idea.

Don't forget to have a bit of a buffer in how much you pack. I travelled with one suitcase a couple of years ago that I didn't open between flights and it weighed five pounds "more" the second time I checked it...I don't travel much where I don't use a checked bag between flights but it illustrates a point.

I bought a 25" TLS rolling duffle from Ebag and love it. It has an expandable gusset and holds more than my larger sized rectangular suitcase. Go to the website and watch their video. Maybe it's "just right" for you also!

A 28" is fine as long as you don't go overweight. We often fly with 2-26" checked bags and 2-28" checked bags on longer cruises, and I just keep a close eye on their weight. Be careful of those 28" that expand, as fully loaded, they can go over the size limit. Enjoy!

Luggageonline.com Best prices, also they have each airlines weight capacity listed.. If you fill a 28" or 29" to the brim it WILL excede the limit. They can charge up to $150.00 for anything 51-70lbs. I believe 62linear inches is the limit.

ENJOY:D:D

My 1st suitcase, purchased for a trip from California to Peru, was heavy leather, had reinforcing strips that always hit my knee and weighed a LOT!:(

My eternal thanks to the person who thought of puttting wheels on bags.:)

Best thing about the bag, it was indestructible, not like the disposable things most are now.

Our flight, this September, from Toronto to Rome with Alitalia only allows us one check in suitcase of 50 lbs or less.

You can well imagine the dilemma. My 28 in suit case only has 2 wheels and when it gets to 45 lbs it is a tough one to pull. Since I am a senior I do not like to burden myself with heavy suitcases or too much luggage. I do not think the 28 is too big providing you do not have 2 other pieces. We really have to pull things together since we are only allowed 1 suitcase on the flight to Rome.

I purchased a new Spinner suitcase just this month. It is a 28 inch but it is built just a bit wider that my other one. It weighs about 5 lbs empty. I always weight my suitcase before I go and make certain that it is 43 lbs or less. My carryon luggage completes my wardrobe.

Archived