Ecilpse TA Oct 2011

RMS Olympic

We really checked into trains, hoping that would work, but the timing simply doesn't. We're taking Celebrity's Paris on Your Own excursion which basically drops you in the city for 5 hours. We hope to have lunch and then either take a boat down the Seine or a bus tour of the city. We might go shopping, though. Depends how much wine was drunk at dinner.

Any idea how much that trip is? Have only just found the ship haven't even thought about side exursions?

Having only cruised with RC can anyone advise re bev packages and taking bottles onboard.

I know on RC you were allowed any bottles, but some cruise lines do? What is celebrity policy?

How much are wine packages?

Thanks boys!

James.

Having only cruised with RC can anyone advise re bev packages and taking bottles onboard.

I know on RC you were allowed any bottles, but some cruise lines do? What is celebrity policy?

How much are wine packages?

Thanks boys!

James.

X allows 2 bottles of wine per passenger but no liquor. We didn't look into packages because they seemed pricey. I have heard you can opt into that at any point during the cruise so maybe once we're done with ports it would be feasible.

Great if we can buy the package once we get to the sea days.

If anyone is on face book and wants to look me up:

http://www.facebook.com/hardyhaha

Anyone got ideas for cheapish hotels or B and B options in London? I know the two are pretty much mutually exclusive. ;)

Also what about transfers from London to the port, how easy is that, assuming there is a train.

Cheers james,

It's raining and f'ing cold here in melbourne, middle of winter dreaming of soaking up the rays across the atlantic.

Great if we can buy the package once we get to the sea days.

If anyone is on face book and wants to look me up:

http://www.facebook.com/hardyhaha

Anyone got ideas for cheapish hotels or B and B options in London? I know the two are pretty much mutually exclusive. ;)

Also what about transfers from London to the port, how easy is that, assuming there is a train.

Cheers james,

It's raining and f'ing cold here in melbourne, middle of winter dreaming of soaking up the rays across the atlantic.

Celebrity is charghing $100 for their transfer, which seems pricey. We did look into the train and it seemed very do-able. We hired a car for the morning but unfortunately, ours is full. I do think the train works well, it just seemed like a trial given my chronic over-packing.

I think London can be less expensive on websites like Priceline or hotwire. We got a hilton for Mike at Paddington for $98US per night when he had a layover there.

We're at the Sumner, which was "sort of" reasonable and looks great.

Thanks for all those answers and tips.

Cruise critic really does make cruising so much easier.

Just have to wait for our holidays to be approved so that we can book.

Thanks again,

James.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lee et All,

Myself and my partner (Scott & John) will also be on this cruise. It would be great to meet up with everyone. Is there a time and place to meet?? (on Cunard it is printed in the daily itinerary). Looking forward to meeting everyone on board:)

Celebrity does a thing called the community bulletin board, which is normally near guest services, where they post all the meetings. Some don't like that but i do, since you can propose your own meetings and places. If my memory serves, they normally have the first Friends of Dorothy or GLBT gathering in the molecular bar (Galleria Tastings) on the first night around 8, so folks from both seatings can come. We'll make a point of finding out where it is and being there, in any event.

Hey Schplinky

Really useful advice - many thanks for the information (it's our first time on Celebrity). We are really looking forward to a relaxing couple of weeks. I think there is a facility with Celebrity where you can propose a 'gathering' and if you reach 25 confirmed attendance then they will throw a party for the group - is this your experience? Any other tips (things to avoid) woudl be gratefully recieved

I've not heard that. I know there is a "mainstream" roll call and the line throws a party for that. The count is well over a hundred people now. I'm not sure if we'll make that party. It's hard to imagine keeping a hundred people straight!

Our experience on the Solstice was that folks would go to the GLBT parties the first few nights and then we just sort of decided amongst ourselves where to meet up the following nights. The wine bar is quite nice and usually deserted.

We're in Aqua class this trip, which we did on one other Solstice class trip. Loved it and found it very relaxing. The restaurant for that is like eating in a specialty restaurant every night.

I'd recommend booking specialty restaurants ahead. You can cancel if you change your mind but you can't get in if you decide at the last minute and they're sold out.

This ship is full of lots of really nice areas for chatting or reading. I think you'll like it. We will be going for lunch on boarding day at the Bistro on 5. It's a creperie and panini spot. For $5, you get to avoid the mayhem of the buffet. Well worth it. We also tend to land at the buffet at 6 p.m. for sushi, as a snack to tide us over to a later dinner. Sitting on the open aft of the ship with a corona and some sushi is a great ritual.

Are you staying in Miami afterward? Love that city.

Hey Schplinky,

Thanks for the additional info - much appreciated. We did sign up for the roll call - but also like yourself not sure if we will attend. We just have normal balcony stateroom, however I will be going to the spa quite a lot - love to relax in pool - do you know what other facilities are in the spa as I really enjoy a sauna. Which of the speciality restaurants would you recommend pre-booking? Glad to hear they do sushi, which I really like.

We are heading down to Key West for a couple of nights post cruise - we really like it there (have already been there for a couple of weeks earlier this year). It's a great place and as we have been quite a few times now we are gettting to know people there now. Do you live in Florida?

Do they have 'formal' dining nights on Celebrity - need to brush off the dinner suit if so:)

They'll have two or three formals.

The spa is nice. They have a sauna in the locker room or, for a fee, you can use the thermal suite (co-ed) which has heated ceramic chairs, steam and such. The Aqua Class includes this in the cabin fee so that was a selling point for us.

There are three specialty restaurants: Tuscan Grille (Italian steak house), Murano (french-leaning upper end spot) and Qsine (fun, modern food). We pre-booked all of them. :)

I love key West also but, alas, we live in Canada so it's usually an add-on to a cruise or a port of call.

Hi all from cold old Melbourne.

Jack and I will find out if our holidays are approved on the 22nd of this month. Pretty sure we'll get them, but can't book until they are approved. It's frustrating not being able to sign up and confirm our travel plans but if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

Found a 25 night cruise from San Diego to Sydney but it's with HAL and is an older ship, means less traveling to get there and back, but I don't want to be stuck on an old ship with old people. So The chances are pretty good you'll be seeing us on board.

James.

Hi all from cold old Melbourne.

Jack and I will find out if our holidays are approved on the 22nd of this month. Pretty sure we'll get them, but can't book until they are approved. It's frustrating not being able to sign up and confirm our travel plans but if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

Found a 25 night cruise from San Diego to Sydney but it's with HAL and is an older ship, means less traveling to get there and back, but I don't want to be stuck on an old ship with old people. So The chances are pretty good you'll be seeing us on board.

James.

Hope to see you onboard. We sailed one of HAL's newer ships and it was like sailing with the cast of Cocoon.

Hi All - I was a little worried after the mainstream roll call was 300+ pages. No way was I going to read all that.

Travelling by myself, dining Select, so looking for dinner companion(s).

Dingoboy - I arrive London on 28th October and am staying at my club. I would be happy to get you and your partner a room. It's right off Oxford Street in the Edgware road, by Marble Arch. If you want to look at the website it's www.vsc.co.uk.

Taking the 0845 (or 0935) train from Waterloo to Southampton Central, then taxi it to the pier.

I'm up on the Sky Deck. Hope to meet all of you. Unfortunately it seems these LGBT roll calls don't always work out.

Joe

Hi All - I was a little worried after the mainstream roll call was 300+ pages. No way was I going to read all that.

Travelling by myself, dining Select, so looking for dinner companion(s).

Dingoboy - I arrive London on 28th October and am staying at my club. I would be happy to get you and your partner a room. It's right off Oxford Street in the Edgware road, by Marble Arch. If you want to look at the website it's www.vsc.co.uk.

Taking the 0845 (or 0935) train from Waterloo to Southampton Central, then taxi it to the pier.

I'm up on the Sky Deck. Hope to meet all of you. Unfortunately it seems these LGBT roll calls don't always work out.

Joe

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for such kind offer! Our holidays don't get approved until 24th of this month so we can't lock anything until then. But once they are approved we will be booking everything straight away. So will let you know then.

Any idea of a ball park figure for room?

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for such kind offer! Our holidays don't get approved until 24th of this month so we can't lock anything until then. But once they are approved we will be booking everything straight away. So will let you know then.

This might work out for you,the late booking. Most of us are in the business of making final payments right now and the prices sometimes fall after everyone else is locked in. Having sailed in aqua class before I can tell you it's well worth it if you can swing it. Good perks and usually just a shade more than a regulAr balcony. Maybe not even that after final payment.

Welcome aboard!

The top of the line room is about 100 quid, I stay in a little single where you walk down the hall for the loo and bath for 54 quid. Both include a full English each morning. It's just been renovated. Check out the website there are lots of pics and the rates for non member guests.

This might work out for you,the late booking. Most of us are in the business of making final payments right now and the prices sometimes fall after everyone else is locked in. Having sailed in aqua class before I can tell you it's well worth it if you can swing it. Good perks and usually just a shade more than a regulAr balcony. Maybe not even that after final payment.

People are so helpful on here. Just wish the world was more like CC.

Holidays get approved next Monday. Really torn as we can get 25 days on HAL San diego to Syd for a really great deal and have time with Jacks Parents in Hawaii during port visits. We know we'd be the youngest by decades but we really do just love sea days. And only one flight.

OR we do this one and have the hassle of taking flights two flights to london, then across the USA and then onto Hawaii and home from there. Very messy BUT then we get a great ship, with people our age, even some fags!

Will be having big think this weekend.

I'm thinking you may well have us as ship mates.

Thx again for advice.

Will be having big

Very messy BUT then we get a great ship, with people our age, even some fags!

Hey, you Australian nancy-boy, your people were the ones that came up with Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. No one ever forgets that, now do they?

LOL

Archived