HAL cruises to Hawaii, any special Hawaiian programs/activities?

I've read several reviews of HAL's cruises to Hawaii, but I'd appreciate some more details about any Hawaiian programs/classes/or activities offered onboard. Are there Hawaiian-influenced menus? Any classes on hula, ukelele, traditional Hawaiian crafts, etc.? I've read there's been a lecturer, a gentleman named Kainoa, who offers talks about the islands, is that correct? In the ports, are there any local performers who come aboard? In other words, I'm looking for aspects of the Hawaiian itineraries that make them unique from cruises going to other destinations.

Thank you very much in advance for any information about your onboard experience to/from Hawaii.

We sailed on the Amsterdam in 2006 -- Hawaii.

We had no special classes on anything -- no lei making, no hula dance lessons. We had a lecturer -- talked about 2 times.

We were scheduled to have a group come on board when we were in Lahaina to preform a special show after dinner. But the weather and seas were so bad that it was cancelled.

On our April 6 15 day cruise we had a travel guide by the name of Kainoa Dela Cruz. To quote from the Daily Program. "Kianoa is truly an "Ambassador of Aloha" and his hope is to reveal Hawaii through his eyes and his heart" Everyone who attended his lectures will attest that is exactly what he did. He gave lectures and taught a group to do the Hula and they performed with him on the final day. He was great. He personally helped us when we had a problem with our tours we had booked on our own.

Echoing what Boards has just said..we were on the same cruise..Kainoa was amazing..always out and about and accesable..and gave lectures, slideshows, narrated our passage by the lava flow and I think also narrated our scenic cruising of Molokai when we missed our stop in Maui due to high winds. He was a major plus to the cruise and he will be on the Zaandam next year..I asked:)

I did not attend any craft things so cannot remember if there were any themed things there..but the culinary demos were great..and the dining room was decorated "Hawaiian Style" while we were in the islands.

I think it may vary from cruise to cruise also....Kainoa was on both of our cruises in Nov & April.....FANTASTIC!! :D On our last cruise in April we also had a water color teacher (Bev Ecker) :D who did classes in the afternoons and used the Hawaiian Island scenery as her "subject"....the foods did include "island" food from time to time....although we were hoping for more pineapple....but it turns out more pineapple is grown in Mexico nowadays :confused: We also had a guest lecturer onboard---can't think of his name right now---who did a little more "scientific" lectures than Kainoa's.....oh, I am a proud recepient of a certificate stating I am a Hula dancer from Kainoa :D

We had Kainoa over two years ago (so he's been around a while), and he was totally fascinating. He did a lecture of at least an hour every single day - and they were always well attended. He also offered hula lessons and other Hawaii themed activities. There was no doubt it was a Hawaiian Cruise.

We have also had Kainoa on some cruises. We have also had the "Aunties" come onboard in Honolulu and teach lei making, once or twice hula lessons. It is quite a bit of fun.

There were also Hawaiian trivia and other lectures and contests with prizes given.

Forgot about our fish BBQ on deck a day or two after we left Honolulu..they cooked Mahi Mahi and a huge beautiful fish called OPA I think. Anyway they set it all up at the Lido..did the filleting of the fish..etc..cooked it over charcol...very interesting and the fish was wonderful!!

On neither ROTTERDAM we took this winter/spring was there any hint of Hawaii - not music, not lei making, not poi (I was OK with that, I am not accustomed to eating wallpaper paste) NOTHING hinting of the Islands and nothing in onboard atmosphere distinguishing those cruises from anything else HAL operates to other destinations. The lack of HAWAII on HAL Hawaii cruises - and we have sailed with Kainoa onboard - is one of our big complaints on HAL!

We haven't sailed HAL to Hawaii but did Princess twice and both times on Princess they had lei making, uke lessons, lectures, etc both to and from the islands (we did roundtrip LA). They also had some Hawaii themed dining as well as 'movies under the stars' showing Hawaiian themed movies (Blue Hawaii and such). I'm surprised HAL doesn't make more of an effort to get people in the mood!

Thanks very much for your responses. Interesting that people seem to have experienced different levels of "Hawaiiana" on their various HAL cruises. The Princess cultural immersion program sounds very good. Hmmmm, now I've been presented with a dilemma......

There was a huge BBQ on Zaandam a couple of years ago, not just fish. Lots of dancing, and fun, it started about 5.30 as I recall. I was dressed in a grass skirt, to join in with the dancers, a mistake:) since the last time I was on stage with Hawaiian Dancers was in 1952, but, since it was fun, so I might just do it again next year.:eek:

john

......We also had a guest lecturer onboard---can't think of his name right now---who did a little more "scientific" lectures than Kainoa's.....oh, I am a proud recepient of a certificate stating I am a Hula dancer from Kainoa :D

His name is Jim McParland and he's a geologist (had to look back at our daily programs to get his name);) We enjoyed a few of his lectures on our cruise in April and he even had a star gazing evening up on the observation deck! That was fun until the clouds rolled in. :p

Thanks very much for your responses. Interesting that people seem to have experienced different levels of "Hawaiiana" on their various HAL cruises. The Princess cultural immersion program sounds very good. Hmmmm, now I've been presented with a dilemma......

I'm in your same dilema..trying to decide between Hal and Princess. Hal is one more night and $300 less..but with all those sea days, it's important that the activities be good.

I'm in your same dilema..trying to decide between Hal and Princess. Hal is one more night and $300 less..but with all those sea days, it's important that the activities be good.

Hi, Rick, I've seen your posts here on the boards where you are practically asking the same questions I am:) I think we may have to toss a coin - you take one cruise line and I'll take the other, and we'll compare notes:)

Thanks everyone, for your feedback; really appreciate it.

Hi, Rick, I've seen your posts here on the boards where you are practically asking the same questions I am:) I think we may have to toss a coin - you take one cruise line and I'll take the other, and we'll compare notes:)

Thanks everyone, for your feedback; really appreciate it.

LOL..but I want to take the best one LOL.

More people seem to post about Princess, and it's mostly been positive, so as much as I want HAL to be the best choice (more time in HI, skipping Ensendad, $300 less and one more night, and best of all, Oct instead of Dec which is sooner!), we are leaning towards Princess.

Doris

Archived