HVAC controls in each cabin?

mexico5

Hi, just wondering (and thanks for the tip jtl) how the air conditioning works in each cabin. I will be on the Oosterdam. I read in a review by joanie (?) that one of the pet peeves seems to be that the air cannot be turned off in each cabin, that is blows (cold or warm) constantly! I would like to know a little bit about this, since it could be a deal breaker for us (I know it might sound silly to some!). I would be sneezing 24/7 and so would my husband! We hate air conditioning even when it is super hot! Does it blow on your head/face when you are sleeping? Even if it was hot air blowing out I don't think we could tolerate it! I am hoping it will be fine because we are very excited to try HAL!!

Thanks again!

Don't recall whether there are individual controls in each cabin (last sailed with HAL 2008), but I do remember that Maasdam's public spaces were cool to cold in the evenings. We sailed during late April in the Caribbean where average temp was in the high 80s to low 90s ashore. I needed a wrap of some kind during the evenings, otherwise I was shivering.

Other CC members have made simliar comments about frigid public spaces on various HAL ships.

Don't know if that information helps or not.

Yes there is a control for your cabin which can be used to either make it warmer or colder. There is constant ventilation (for air changes in the space) but you will not feel it. The volume of air is not high. You can play with the control until you find your comfort zone but it does take some time to notice the change, again because the airflow is not high.

The Oosterdam does indeed have individual thermostatic controls in each cabin, but they cannot be shut off completely as there would be no air exchange in the cabin if that were the case. The air flow volume was not extremely high and your cabin temp can certainly be adjusted to where it will be comfortable for you.

Does it blow on your head/face when you are sleeping?

There is constant ventilation (for air changes in the space) but you will not feel it. The volume of air is not high.

The air flow volume was not extremely high ...
Maybe it depends on how the bed is placed in the room, or maybe where the cabin is within the HVAC zone, or how sensitive you are to the air blowing, but we have had cabins on the Noordam where we found the air blowing on our heads all night to be very annoying. That hasn't always been the case on our other Vista ship cruises, however.

Thanks so much for the responses. As you can tell it is very important to us if it is "blowing on our heads/faces" at night! So please keep answering so we can make a decision on how many people this seems to bother. Maybe it does depend on the location of the ship,etc..we will be in the middle/aft area in a balcony cabin or maybe a superior suite (the cheapest one).

Thanks also for the info on the public areas on the ship. Our last cruise was on NCL Dawn (which we loved) but the areas were SO cold I could hardly spend any money! Gift shop, lounges, etc..too cold for us! Guess it doesn't help that we have no extra meat on our bones! I will bring a wrap for sure! This we can deal with because we can always walk out on the deck for heat, etc...BUT the cabin and sleeping...not so much!

Thanks again!

Attached is a photo of an SA suite on the Oosterdam. The HVAC control is on the wall next to the bathrobes, there is no OFF setting, just a dial to adjust the temperature of the air flow.

On the ceiling you can see where the air comes into the cabin, it was a gently air flow on our cruise. The SA deluxe suite has two of those, one on each half of the cabin. I would imagine that most cabins have one, somewhere in the center of the ceiling.

HVAC Oosterdam.pdf

Thanks for the photo! Where the air comes in is alot bigger than I thought it would be!! One cruise critic member told me that she brought tape and used some papers to try and cover it up. If that sucker was above my head I think I might jump! Now it is was farther away from the bed than it MIGHT be okay. Hmmmm...not sure what to do. I suppose there is no way to tell what it would be like in a particular cabin so we would have to play the odds.

Thanks again!

I'm convinced that there's a central switch buried deep in the ship. It's used to cut back the air flow at night, when everyone is expected to be asleep and not notice. I notice!

My cabin can be relatively comfortable during the day (I like it set to "meat locker", but it never comes close), but at night I roast. When I wake up way too hot, I don't hear the air coming out at all. Then it will kick on briefly, then go off again. When it does kick on, it's very soft.

Mexico5, have you looked at the HAL website yet, and seen the drawings of standard cabin layouts? You'll find the web page here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Staterooms.action

To figure out where the HVAC in Alexandria's photo is located, take a look at the list at the left side of the page. Click on "Deluxe Suite".

A drawing should pop up to give you the standard layout. Take a look at that drawing, then back at Alexandria's pix. The HVAC is in line with the bar, and chairs - roughly near the foot of the bed.

IIRC, I think the HVAC in most cabins is in line with the foot of the bed.

Catl331 and jtl513: I hope it's OK to point out you're a couple, so Mexico5 knows you're both talking about the same cabins/problems. (If it's not OK, I expect I'll hear about it by email :o...oops.)

I'm with Ruth -- the cabin is never cool enough at night, and I often am awakened in the middle of the night because it seems like there's no air movement. That's when I wish I didn't know better so could prop open the balcony door in blissful ignorance...

Catl331 and jtl513: I hope it's OK to point out you're a couple, so Mexico5 knows you're both talking about the same cabins/problems. (If it's not OK, I expect I'll hear about it by email :o...oops.)

Sure! :) Just to add some more info: on Vistas we've had four VAs and one VB. The cabins where we were most bothered by blowing air were 8009 and 7124. We had less or no problem in 8010, 8021, and 4178. No pattern that I can see! :)

Hi, just wondering (and thanks for the tip jtl) how the air conditioning works in each cabin. I will be on the Oosterdam. I read in a review by joanie (?) that one of the pet peeves seems to be that the air cannot be turned off in each cabin, that is blows (cold or warm) constantly! I would like to know a little bit about this, since it could be a deal breaker for us (I know it might sound silly to some!). I would be sneezing 24/7 and so would my husband! We hate air conditioning even when it is super hot! Does it blow on your head/face when you are sleeping? Even if it was hot air blowing out I don't think we could tolerate it! I am hoping it will be fine because we are very excited to try HAL!!

Thanks again!

Hi THere,

I have been on several HAL ships and I do not recall any way to turn off the air on any of them. But also, I have never felt anything blowing on me. It seemed to flow where it was not bothersome.

In thinking about your request, it would seem extremely dangerous to not have air flowing in any cabin that did not have a balcony, and even in these cabins if the balcony door were not slightly open. While the rooms may not be truly water tight, they are pretty well sealed and overnight the oxygen level in a cabin could dip low enough to bother some passengers with breathing difficulties.

Just a thought.

Scott & Karen

Thanks for the responses. Not sure if having no air vent flow would be dangerous since it is like that in our house sometimes (using just natural air) but what do I know! Natural air is fine...

I think we have decided to put up with it and we have already a couple of back up plans if it is "blowing in our faces"! I would rather be melting than cold, but that is just me!

Speaking of the balcony door...so it is different than on NCL or Princess...it is a real door instead of sliding doors right? So is it at all possible to have it open at all or not? Is there anything to kind of tie it so it wouldn't be banging or anything or is it impossible to keep it open. I was thinking that sometimes air doesn't work if the door is open so that would be good, but probably not hey? Also it is nice to have it open sometimes to hear the ocean sounds...

Thanks again for all of the answers! DH and I have been looking at photos and finding the vents, etc...I have severe sneezing attacks!

So is it at all possible to have it open at all or not? Is there anything to kind of tie it so it wouldn't be banging or anything or is it impossible to keep it open. I was thinking that sometimes air doesn't work if the door is open so that would be good, but probably not hey? Also it is nice to have it open sometimes to hear the ocean sounds.
Please do not tie or prop the door open, as that messes up the AC for everyone else in your zone. The air seeks the path of least resistance, and goes out your door instead of into other cabins. This is particularly bad for any inside cabins in your zone. Thank you.

That's good to know! I was wondering about that...I will keep the door closed. Just used to it being open sometimes on the other lines for the sounds at night, but don't want to make my neighbors upset!

Guess I'd have to add my vote for never noticed the air blowing hard in any cabin. Also have to agree with RuthC and particular agree that we're rarely cool enough at night. My wife calls me "The Heater" :o....unfortunately because I put off a lot of heat at night while sleeping, have my whole life so it's not just old age, and frequently sleep with one leg totally out from under the covers. It's my radiator, helps keep me from totally roasting at night. :)

Archived