Pole . . . Single cruisers on Carnival

ladycaveat

When I do cruise solo, I'll just have to do more research and go with the better value. That may or may not be Carnival now. It used to clearly be Carnival. I'd go with one of those NCL Epic 100 sq.ft. studios. That sounds pretty nice, especially with having the lounge only for people in studios. I wouldn't need much space in the room when traveling solo anyway. One thing that is for sure is that I won't go on as many cruises. I'll have to cut back, now that it's more expensive. I'll make sure that I save money as a result of this change, by just not cruising as often.

I'm waiting to see what actually happens. When Carnival announced prices were rising, there was all this outcry. Yet I was still able to get a last-minute bargain in April.

Of course, I mostly cruise last minute. The situation will be different for people who have to purchase their cruises in advance. I hope to start taking longer, non-Mexico cruises next year. In those cases, I will check all the cruiselines and purchase the best deal.

By the way, the combination of Pole & Single cruisers does raise some interesting images - but I may be the only one with that kind of mind!

I'll wait and see, since I cruise spur-of-the-moment also. I also cruise off season too, so I expect there probably won't be that much of a change. I think it'll all be determined by how difficult it will or won't be for Carnival to fill ships in the future.

I've wanted to try other lines (Princess and Celebrity) so maybe this will be the "push" I need if the prices go through the ceiling for SOLOS. Already I've received last minute SOLO quotes for RCI's MARINER that are less than what I cruised on the SPLENDOR for in September?

Personally, I think this 200% rate is for early bookers.:confused:

Pole and Single does have an interesting suggestive "ring" to it. :D

Here we go....NCL studio cabins....Don't look bad. 128 of them and many adjoining. I might have to give NCL another chance on the ugly (LOL) Epic.....

http://www.epic.ncl.com/the-experience/accommodations/studios/

I'm not sure. The mirror obviously makes it look bigger. I think the floor space you see is the floor space you get. It is probably ample for one, but not generous.

I'm not sure. The mirror obviously makes it look bigger. I think the floor space you see is the floor space you get. It is probably ample for one, but not generous.

It is not supposed to be. It is supposed to be a cabin for one. Ships like the old HAL ships, QE2, Regal Empress and others all had cabins like this and they always filled them. He!!, RCCL sells double cabins to this day that are only 130sf for two.....

If I can sleep, shower and change clothes . . . its more than I need. :)I like the pics. Interested to see what NCL calls "economical".:D

If I can sleep, shower and change clothes . . . its more than I need. :)I like the pics. Interested to see what NCL calls "economical".:D

Just looked it up. In Oct. it looks like about a grand. Then again it is a new ship so we all know for the first year the prices are highly inflated. Did the "Dream" inaugural out of Port Canaveral for 9 nights in Dec. and split a balconey cabin with a friend.....it was over the top expensive per person. In the range of $150pp per day. After a year or 18 months the pricing will come more into line.

I am a retired senior with plenty of time to blow and I love to cruise SOLO ME.

I do want to try the NCL EPIC small cabins with the Living Room for us solo cruisers. Looks interesting.

CARNIVAL CAN KISS MY HINNEY GOOD-BYE WITH THOSE HIGH RATES. I will not pay those high rates when I can cruise on better ships like the Princess ships and the RCL Ships. Yes, Carnival owns Princess but Princess are better ships. I don't mind paying the extra money. I do mind paying the extra money on Carnival.

All I have to do is just wait for the Disney Wonder ship to show up in Los Angeles and Carnival will be begging for us solo cruisers to cruise on Carnival at a lower rate in Los Angeles. Just wait and see how rates will change for us solos. Rates will go up and down always.

Cruise ships are like airline companies..... they do have price wars. Plus, when disasters hit like the swine flu, the economy, etc. they lower their rates.

(... I thought maybe this thread was on Pole Dancing for single cruisers... :p)

POOH!!! I hate the new pricing for solos... And I will look on other lines... DARN!!! NCL Studios... Hey -- even if they are "close" they will fit in my budget, get me on the ship, and get me cruising!!! That's what counts!!!!! :)

I am still in wait and see mode. Both RCL and NCL will be sailing out of New Orleans next year. At this time both are more than double Carnival for a solo passanger in a comparable cabin to 1As. Hopefully the prices will come down or Carnival will reconsider their marketing plan for 1A cabins.

I am booked in a 1a on my upcoming cruise in September. I was quite disappointed to hear that Carnival was no longer giving solo cruisers a price break, but as the say "thems the breaks"! I know that Carnival wont miss my solo bucks, as they can sell the same cabin to two passengers and make more money.

However.....after September, I will be shopping around for another cruiseline, hopefully one that still offers solo cruisers rates at less than 200pc price. And if I cant find one that does, and have to pay 200pc, I will likely pay it to a different cruiseline just to have something to compare Carnival to. My one NCL and Celebrity cruise were so long ago, that they hardly count. Will I ever cruise on Carnival again? I certainly will, but not until I give a different product a try first.:)

It's all going to come down to pricing for me. Since Carnival overall has lower prices than many other cruise lines, I'll still sail them if the price is right. However, I probably won't book a 1A and pay 200%, since for a few hundred dollars more I can have a better cabin, even an outside.

Roz

It's all going to come down to pricing for me. Since Carnival overall has lower prices than many other cruise lines, I'll still sail them if the price is right. However, I probably won't book a 1A and pay 200%, since for a few hundred dollars more I can have a better cabin, even an outside.

Roz

I agree with you. If Carnival's price is right, I may still book a 1A, but only if it's one of the nice bigger rooms with portholes, like 2216/2217 on the Triumph/Conquest/Dream classes. But also, a category PT room is usually only about $20 more, so a solo would only pay $40 extra for a room that's almost 220 sq.ft. (on the bigger ships) that have portholes. That's something I would try to get.

(... I thought maybe this thread was on Pole Dancing for single cruisers... :p)

POOH!!! I hate the new pricing for solos... And I will look on other lines... DARN!!! NCL Studios... Hey -- even if they are "close" they will fit in my budget, get me on the ship, and get me cruising!!! That's what counts!!!!! :)

I loved my last Carnival cruise..have not been on too many cruises but have been on Princess and Holland (way back) and I have just loved your reviews and Carnival Spirit..and just fell in love with Carnival..and will probably keep my Splendor one..but it makes me so happy to see you with this sentiment..darn..they have to do something FAIR and see what gaps I just know we single cruisers fill!!! Now I am just SHOOTING THE BREEZE...NOT GOING TO POLE DANCE FOR ANYTHING:eek:;):D.

I will shop for better value for my money..if ship, itinerary, cabin size, type and local fit the budget..sure I will do Carnival..but I can and will find the best deal and that will more and more be for the single traveller willing to pay a part of the second percentage..just know something will come up for us...viva trying different lines..I feel so freed up from a loyalty program I was going to start..we tail end and mid boomers really got turned off by this pricing deal..and on so few cabins..sjn.

Roz

Amen and this is often the case for just a few hundred more (in many cases on slightly more "upscale" situations)..owned by Carnival or not ...that does not matter to me..we will make an impact with these choices.:)

I recently cruised on the RCL Radiance of the seas and it was a 5 day cruise and I had the best time ever. I think from now on I will book the 4 day and 5 day cruises which are reasonable and I get to go home earlier to my dog at home.

I enjoy the shorter cruises better. So I plan to do a search for those cruises offered by other cruise lines.

Carnival can kiss my hinney good-bye!!! The food is not that great either compared to some of the other cruiselines. I prefer to pay the full rate on a cruiseline that has better food.

They have gotten into the bad habit of closing the buffet by 9:30P.M. They nolonger have the fancy desert buffets. Instead they offer it at the buffet.

They have lousy food at the Mexican Fiesta one night a week on the Splendor.

The airline companies are also losing a lot of my business too since they have become total cheap skates. I prefer to cruise out of my home ports.

I enjoy and prefer taking the train to the San Diego cruise port. LucyR.

question for the solo cruisers. When you cruise solo, do you pay gratuities once or twice? Wondered since they charge as if two are in the cabin, does that extend to the amount posted to your S&S card? Thanks.

question for the solo cruisers. When you cruise solo, do you pay gratuities once or twice? Wondered since they charge as if two are in the cabin, does that extend to the amount posted to your S&S card? Thanks.

Just once...$10 per day. It is placed on you S&S card.

Archived