CNN or Fox News?

mexico5

Yesterday, I wrote that all news was slanted to some degree. I should have added that it is also our interpretation of news that is slanted. How we see the world (maybe the news) depends on where we sit, and we are all sitting on different seats. In other words, we see things, we read things from our own perspective; hence, the differing opinions. Perhaps we would be a more peaceful world, country, town, home, if we tried to see things from the other's perspective. Am I a dreamer or what?

Just off the Oosterdam yesterday and the television was slim pickings! There was CNN International (mostly World Cup this and that), ESPN (mostly talk with some NCAA baseball tournaments), TNT, TCM, Cartoon Network, Boomerang (cartoons), 3 movie channels and other ship's channels. The news summary delivered to the cabin each day was less than satisfactory - very little real "news" was included.

I know I do. :(

It was so nice when there were no TVs in the cabins, no newspaper delivered to the cabin, no Internet, the cabin telephone couldn't call home, and the news was posted on a bulletin board outside the radio room.

People had no choice but to relax. It was wonderful! :)

I don't go as far back as the radio room bulletin board, but otherwise recall a similar time. As for now, on our two week cruise last month, the only reason the television was turned on every other day was to check our account, the ship's compilation of news delivered to the stateroom like-as-not went straight into the trash can, and the only time we used a cellphone was once we were ashore to let one or two independent tour operators know we were there. It was very nice, the world didn't end while we were gone, the "urgent" things we missed turned out not to be urgent after all.;)

...It was so nice when there were no TVs in the cabins, no newspaper delivered to the cabin, no Internet, the cabin telephone couldn't call home, and the news was posted on a bulletin board outside the radio room.

People had no choice but to relax. It was wonderful! :)

Ruth,

You've hit a chord with several people, but I would like to point out that in some cases, it works the other way, too -- people can find you. That is, there is the expectation that you will be reachable while on vacation.

Some on CC are retired, but many of us are not (only a few more years until I break that bad habit of working). Years ago, when I went on vacation, I was not reachable by cell phone (a what phone, now?), and there was no such thing as an Internet. I was gone, and was expected to be gone until vacation was over.

Now, while I can save up and take enough vacation time at one time to take a trans-atlantic or Panama Canal cruise now and then, I am expected to carry my cell phone and check email often. I have been called from work while sitting in the Ocean Bar on a sea day out of HMC, while in my cabin cruising from Greenland to Canada, while driving through hop fields, trying to cut from 99 to I-5 north of Bakersfield, trying to find a taxi at both LAX and Sea-Tac airports, and on an Amtrak train going through the corn fields of Iowa early one morning. And, I've had to answer the occasional email from work. I sometimes miss the days when I couldn't be reached.

Today, I rarely look at the TV news on board for anything but sports scores or weather forecasts for the next ports, and while I might occasionally glance at a headline in the paper, I'm content to try to forget about that stuff while I'm cruising. But, the Internet allows us to keep in contact with family, and send them a photo or two of where we have been. And I have done a few "live from" blogs on CC, which were fun to do. So I guess the situation today does have some advantages. :D

Dave

I would like to give up the internet while on vacation, but it's hard when you have a babysitter in your house who might have some questions. I'm sad to say when the day comes when I have nobody to check on or tell my trip to is the day when I will not use the internet and I will WISH I had to fork over the hundred bucks like the "old days". I guess I think it will be sad when the day comes when there is nobody to care how we are doing AKA my mom...

So it will be great not to have to use email but also sad!

PS thanks for the info on the channels!

Ruth,

You've hit a chord with several people, but I would like to point out that in some cases, it works the other way, too -- people can find you. That is, there is the expectation that you will be reachable while on vacation.

I hadn't thought of that angle, but you're right.

When I was working, my boss couldn't contact me outside of work hours without paying at least four hours of OT---even for a 30-second phone call. One time my boss asked for my cell phone number. I refused to give it to her.

Ah! The benefits of a union! :D

But I know others aren't so fortunate.

On Princess Hawaii cruise this spring, had CNN and Fox. Both were repetitious. Fox had a revolving lineup of its commentators -- Hannity, Beck, Van Susteran, and a blond lawyer -- can't remember her name. Not straight news, but opinion and commentary. Unfortunately, Princess does not have a newspaper summary so I was news deprived for the duration!

Archived