BOS to SJU

patterson3

I have a cruise booked for February out of San Juan and am starting to look at airfares to SJU from Boston, and had a couple quick questions (and help is greatly appreciated):

- Which carriers fly this route direct? (I know AA and Jetblue, but wasn't sure of others....checked Delta and United and neither do)

- Was wondering if fares may be lower once Jetblue releases this itinerary because of the increased competition? (Currently Jetblue's schedule only goes into January.) Or does this have no bearing on what other carriers are charging?

Any other tips/advice are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have a cruise booked for February out of San Juan and am starting to look at airfares to SJU from Boston, and had a couple quick questions (and help is greatly appreciated):

- Which carriers fly this route direct? (I know AA and Jetblue, but wasn't sure of others....checked Delta and United and neither do)

- Was wondering if fares may be lower once Jetblue releases this itinerary because of the increased competition? (Currently Jetblue's schedule only goes into January.) Or does this have no bearing on what other carriers are charging?

Thanks in advance.

FEBRUARY??? Everyone from the East Coast goes to SJU/Florida for President's week (which varies by school district-week before/week after President's Day). Book whatever you can find at a price you like. The prices generally only go up during this time frame.

And JetBlue has NO incentive to post fares lower than other airlines. Just like Southwest, the CHEAPEST of the flights have already been sold when the schedule is released. While on the day of schedule release JetBlue/Southwest MAY have cheaper fares than other airlines, that is because the CHEAPEST flights have already been sold on other airlines.

Thanks in advance.

My biggest tip is not to fly out the day or your cruise. I never recommend this no matter what time of the year but certainly not in February and with the potential for a snowstorm.

Keith

Are you really asking which carriers fly this route nonstop? Nonstop is not the same as a direct flight. Nonstop means you won't stop anywhere, direct simply means all the legs of the flight have the same number; you can make several stops and even change planes.

Doing a quick search, I see only AA with nonstops for this routing.

For February I only see AA flying nonstop, but Jetblue also does until January, so maybe they will release their Feb sched soon.

US Airways also fly nonstop in the summer months, so they might extend it to the winter as well, not sure if they have released their schedule yet.

FEBRUARY??? Everyone from the East Coast goes to SJU/Florida for President's week (which varies by school district-week before/week after President's Day). Book whatever you can find at a price you like. The prices generally only go up during this time frame.

And JetBlue has NO incentive to post fares lower than other airlines. Just like Southwest, the CHEAPEST of the flights have already been sold when the schedule is released. While on the day of schedule release JetBlue/Southwest MAY have cheaper fares than other airlines, that is because the CHEAPEST flights have already been sold on other airlines.

We're actually flying out the week before President's Day. (We want to be home before school vacations begin.)

Are you really asking which carriers fly this route nonstop? Nonstop is not the same as a direct flight. Nonstop means you won't stop anywhere, direct simply means all the legs of the flight have the same number; you can make several stops and even change planes.

Doing a quick search, I see only AA with nonstops for this routing.

Yes, you are correct- I meant Nonstop. AA and Jetblue flies this route "nonstop" (they just haven't released their schedule for February yet. (But I can't imagine that after flying nonstop from BOS to SJU for the past few years that they would suddenly drop this itinerary. But who knows...)

We're actually flying out the week before President's Day. (We want to be home before school vacations begin.)

MAY be the week before President's day for you but a lot of school districts use that week for the holiday. There are all kinds of combinations on the East Coast for the winter holiday.

As I posted previously, some take the holiday BEFORE President's Day and some take the holiday AFTER.

Airfare will be tight for most weeks in February. A lot of just "people" take a winter break in February-forget the school holidays.

MAY be the week before President's day for you but a lot of school districts use that week for the holiday. There are all kinds of combinations on the East Coast for the winter holiday.

As I posted previously, some take the holiday BEFORE President's Day and some take the holiday AFTER.

Airfare will be tight for most weeks in February. A lot of just "people" take a winter break in February-forget the school holidays.

Name one state that takes school vacation the week before Presidents Day? I just did a quick search of several states in the east coast (NH, MA, NY, NJ, ME, VA, SC, NC, FL, GA and MD) and every state took February school vacation either the week OF Presidents Day or the week AFTER that. Not one took it BEFORE the week of Presidents Day. Maybe the west coast is different, I didn't have time to look it up.

Although you are correct- some people do "just take vacations", especially to the caribbean, in February.

I know airlines use a different model than cruise lines, but besides the fall (aka hurricane season), early winter (post Christmas up until spring break) is the cheapest time to cruise in the caribbean, and since cruise line pricing is based on demand, clearly early February is not one of their busiest times.

Name one state that takes school vacation the week before Presidents Day? I just did a quick search of several states in the east coast (NH, MA, NY, NJ, ME, VA, SC, NC, FL, GA and MD) and every state took February school vacation either the week OF Presidents Day or the week AFTER that. Not one took it BEFORE the week of Presidents Day. Maybe the west coast is different, I didn't have time to look it up.

Although you are correct- some people do "just take vacations", especially to the caribbean, in February.

I know airlines use a different model than cruise lines, but besides the fall (aka hurricane season), early winter (post Christmas up until spring break) is the cheapest time to cruise in the caribbean, and since cruise line pricing is based on demand, clearly early February is not one of their busiest times.

Suit yourself. When the airfares soar, don't kick yourself in the butt while you sat around waiting for cheap airfare. You asked, you were told the realities.

All of FEBRUARY is a very popular time for flights to SJU whether for a cruise or just a "get away from the cold" vacation, school vacation or not.

PS-LOTS of schools on the East Coast use the week BEFORE for President's Day holiday. Kids go back to school Tuesday after the holiday.

Suit yourself. When the airfares soar, don't kick yourself in the butt while you sat around waiting for cheap airfare. You asked, you were told the realities.

All of FEBRUARY is a very popular time for flights to SJU whether for a cruise or just a "get away from the cold" vacation, school vacation or not.

PS-LOTS of schools on the East Coast use the week BEFORE for President's Day holiday. Kids go back to school Tuesday after the holiday.

Thanks for your advice. I don't plan on waiting until the last minute for prices to go through the roof. But 8 months out is being pretty proactive (and the fact that there's still empty planes according to Delta, United and American's websites prove I'm right because if people were already booking these flights, 80-90% of the seats wouldn't be listed as "available")

In regards to your P.S.- You're wrong. I actually took the time to look up the facts and from the 2010 school (most recent data available) not one school in NH, MA, NY, NJ, VA, MD, ME, FL, GA and both Carolinas celebrated February vacation the week BEFORE Presidents Day (which was Feb. 8-12). So, you can talk all you want about "LOTS of schools celebrating...blah, blah, blah", but the fact is it's state mandated, so you're just making stuff up. Only private schools can decide when to celebrate school vacations, any public school must abide by whatever the state legislature decides.

Thanks for your advice. I don't plan on waiting until the last minute for prices to go through the roof. But 8 months out is being pretty proactive (and the fact that there's still empty planes according to Delta, United and American's websites prove I'm right because if people were already booking these flights, 80-90% of the seats wouldn't be listed as "available")

You cannot tell how full a flight is by merely looking at the "available" seats on a seating chart. For example, there may be group bookings without assigned seats yet, some people haven't chosen their seats, etc.

I guess you have to decide if you want to purchase now, or gamble the price will be lower when Jet Blue releases their schedule.

The release of Jet Blue's schedule will not make prices fall on the legacy carriers. By that time, most of their lower fare buckets will be sold out. Also keep in mind that if thier is a problem with your flight, such as a cancellation, Jet Blue will not pay to put you on another carrier; you're going to have to wait for a seat to open up on one of their flights, or take a refund and try to find a last minute ticket on your own.

IF you are looking at "seat maps" on airline websites, they are notorious for not being accurate. Bulk seating (cruise line bulk, travel agent bookings, vacation group bookings, corporate bookings)-NONE of those have the seats taken UNLESS someone actually went into the airline website and did a specific seat booking. So in essence the plane could be completely sold out (for total seats available).

Do what you want-you asked for advice and are not willing to take it. You wanted "lower" fares. Rarely will you find the lowest fares waiting until JetBlue/Southwest, etc. etc open up their schedules. You are flying PRIME TIME SJU.

I think she might be talking about a week that is completely detached from Presidents Day... meaning that if President's day is on Monday the 21st, her vacation ends Sunday the 13th.

We had the good fortune this year that my stepkids Spring Break was a week that had nothing to do with Easter. Very few school disctricts were off this same week, 4/12-4/16, so the rates were cheap and the flights were plentiful.

Doesn't happen often but when it does, it sure helps. ;)

Thanks in advance.

I found the best prices on Jet Blue for our cruise in Oct from Boston to FLL. I booked the flights as soon as they opened up and now they are almost double. Direct flights, non stop. Feb and March are pricey months to fly so dont expect any bargins. :)

When in February are you flying?

AA has some fares for about $300, don't forget that $46 of that is taxes. I think that's a fair price and don't think you will find anything much lower than that, max $30-40 less... IMO that's not worth the wait and the risk of fares going much higher.

AA has some fares for about $300, don't forget that $46 of that is taxes. I think that's a fair price and don't think you will find anything much lower than that, max $30-40 less... IMO that's not worth the wait and the risk of fares going much higher.

That does sound like a good price even considering adding on the baggage fees. Our cruise is on Feb 5 2011. We flew to Miami at the same time last year and we paid $532 for both of us, round trip and it was a non stop flight! Thought we did very well with tha.

Thanks for the tip, dalitos! That seems like a great price! I've only recently started looking at airfares (as I've only recently booked the cruise), and I was surprised how much airfares have fluctuated in the same time frame since I've been watching. For instance Delta, when I first looked was about $350 (including taxes) per person (with a stop in ATL), than about a week later went up to over $100 more pp, and about a week after that went back down to close to the original price I saw, and this week they are back up to $400+ per person. I guess you could go dizzy following airfares, so I'll probably just book that American fare and not worry about it!

And thank you Greatam and 6Rugrats for the info re: the seating availability. I hadn't considered the "bulk seating" that have been purchased or people who haven't picked their seats yet. (I always pick seats immediately after booking, but obviously not everyone does that). I definitely could've gotten into some trouble by relying on that as a true indicator of ticket sales!

I too am looking for BOS--> SJU but for 1/28-2/6/11.....I agree that AA does seem to have excellent prices right now and the debate is whether to wait for the JetBlue Fares to open up or just to book the AA Nonstops.....Anyone have an idea how fat in advance they release their fares???

I agree that AA does seem to have excellent prices right now and the debate is whether to wait for the JetBlue Fares to open up or just to book the AA Nonstops.....Anyone have an idea how fat in advance they release their fares???

Can anyone say "Bird in hand....two in the bush"??

I agree that AA does seem to have excellent prices right now and the debate is whether to wait for the JetBlue Fares to open up or just to book the AA Nonstops.....Anyone have an idea how fat in advance they release their fares???
The best place for this question, and for any answer to it, is in this Sticky: AirTran/JetBlue/SouthWest/Spirit/VirginAmer -New opening of rate schedules-post here.

When you decide what to do, bear in mind FlyerTalker's excellent advice: When jetBlue releases its fares, whenever that is, they may well then be cheaper than AA's fares at that time, and they are very likely to be cheaper than everyone's fares closer to the date of travel. These are the price points that most passengers use when they say "Ooh, I got such a good price from jetBlue/AirTran/Southwest/Virgin America".

But the real question is: When jetBlue releases its fares, whenever that is, will they be cheaper than the price for which you could get an AA fare now?

Archived