If you are planning to cruise with children...

marci4tony

I have seen so many posts about the children factor -

Cruising is not limited to Spring Breakers, the Party Crowd, the Retired Bunch - Cruising is the best way to see a lot of the world that otherwise wouldnt be possible WHILE letting someone else do the work. DH describes it as the best way a poor man can feel rich!

No matter what age your children are, there are planned, on-board activities for your kids. Each individual cruise line has something - the programs, age limits, activities, requirements will vary by each different cruise line. Also, the itinerary that you are looking into will also cause variation in childrens activities.

No matter what age your children will find good food! (Well, I suppose that will depend on their interpretation of GOOD) - I understand that CARNIVAL has incredible Mac and Cheese! And there is always - either on the buffets, in the dining rooms, or via room service - fruit, veggies, snacks - available. If you have a picky eater, the dining room(s) can usually accommodate "special requests" that may not be listed on the nightly menus.

So - bottom line - your children may really enjoy the vacation - and you may enjoy a little "alone" time should they participate in the cruise-line camps! Everyones opinion of where to go and who to sail with varies according to their own personal tastes - that will have to come from YOU. Go to Alaska, Go to the Caribbean, Go on Princess, Go on RCCL - that all comes from YOU!

Your best bet - find a good Travel Agent - A family Travel Agent - someone that knows about ALL the lines, ALL the kids perks, ALL the day camps - Between you and a good TA you can narrow down - trial and error in the form of questions....hahaha - what you may be interested in. But a good TA is your best form of information - and they are trained and licensed in the area of TRAVEL... Its a vacation, but its also an investment!! Use a professional!!

I am NOT a TA nor in advertising - its just my experience that my TA was more information and a bigger bang for my buck than the internet search engines - (and she really likes dishing out the OBC!) Every TA is unique - find one that will WORK for you...!!! I have not met my TA face to face - I have never been to her office - but with technology these days, the internet and telephone has given ME the comfort of developing a good working relationship. And you can too.

Cruising with kids - can be a delight!! Go prepared....

I agree! We have found it is the best way to travel with the kids. Parents can have some free time and know the kids are well taken care of and having fun, kids meet new friends and have a ton of fun, no hassle of regular travels, we love it! Kids get spoiled by the food choices, they think they can just ask for "more" of something at a regular restaurant, and I have to explain that is only on a cruise! Everyone is happy = great vacation. As far as TA, depends on your travel experience, I always book on my own, but I do a lot of research and know exactly what I want.

that travel with kids is all a personal preference...

But it would sure be nice to get the word out to those that havent had ANY EXPERIENCE that it CAN be very rewarding, it CAN be fun and it's not a limiting as some express!!:D

Good to hear...we are going on our first cruise with our 3 kids in August. When my aunt found out, she told my mom, "children should not be allowed on cruise ships." Nice, huh? Of course, I don't recall her waving her hand to watch them for week, while DH and I cruised alone. ;) They are all super excited, and I think we'll ALL have a blast!

that travel with kids is all a personal preference...

But it would sure be nice to get the word out to those that havent had ANY EXPERIENCE that it CAN be very rewarding, it CAN be fun and it's not a limiting as some express!!:D

I would also add that cruising can be very affordable. We have friends who asked me how we managed to afford cruises because they visited a TA who told them that the minimum cost for a family of 4 for a week w/o airfare was $11K CAD! I gave them some tips and they have now cruised several times. If you can't find a good price, you are working with the wrong TA or agency. There are some very family friendly prices out there.

we're going on the Epic in January and it's the first time we're taking the kids. I'm apprehensive but only because I've never done it. I'm sure it will be a blast. I know for sure my oldest is THRILLED - she's almost as bad as I am checking for new information about the ship. YAY!

I don't have children myself, but if I did, cruising would be high up there on the list of vacation options. I've recommended cruising to family and friends with children. Seems to be to be one of the more affordable and easier ways to travel as a family. By the way, I've never been bothered by children on any of my cruises, and they all seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Roz

Great thread! I agree although I have yet to take my two boys (ages 2 and 1) on a cruise. Their first will be next April. The prices with research are great and there is a lot of help built into the vacation from my standpoint (kid's club, prepared meals, rocking ship for sleepy babies and kids, etc.)

I look forward to taking them on their first cruise because as a mom who does not like to necessarily leave them for longer than a day or two, but who loves the travel it is still a get away with little work on my part.

Cruising is my favorite vacation and when my 7 year old had the choice for Disney or a cruise, he picked our cruise we are doing in October! (and it's cheaper too!:D) He's been on 2 and loves them! And for me, as a handicapped mom, they are so much easier than Disney at this stage of his life. I can take him to the Camp or we can spend time together with my DH at the pool, at the beach, etc.

Thank you for starting this thread.... This will be my second cruise my husbands third and my youngests sons first.....My oldest will be visiting relatives and has to wait until his first cruise.

I will see first hand how this is for kids......

I love the sentiments expressed in this thread! We just took our first cruise with our 20-month old son and it was such a wonderful experience that we're heading back to the same ship, same itinerary next month. Though I love Disney and we took our son there this year as well (at 14 months), it wasn't nearly as relaxing. For us, a cruise means a week of being pampered and just enjoying each other's company without having to stress over all the little logistical details because it's already taken care of. A perfect family vacation, IMO.

I have seen so many posts about the children factor -

Cruising is not limited to Spring Breakers, the Party Crowd, the Retired Bunch - Cruising is the best way to see a lot of the world that otherwise wouldnt be possible WHILE letting someone else do the work. DH describes it as the best way a poor man can feel rich!

No matter what age your children are, there are planned, on-board activities for your kids. Each individual cruise line has something - the programs, age limits, activities, requirements will vary by each different cruise line. Also, the itinerary that you are looking into will also cause variation in childrens activities.

No matter what age your children will find good food! (Well, I suppose that will depend on their interpretation of GOOD) - I understand that CARNIVAL has incredible Mac and Cheese! And there is always - either on the buffets, in the dining rooms, or via room service - fruit, veggies, snacks - available. If you have a picky eater, the dining room(s) can usually accommodate "special requests" that may not be listed on the nightly menus.

So - bottom line - your children may really enjoy the vacation - and you may enjoy a little "alone" time should they participate in the cruise-line camps! Everyones opinion of where to go and who to sail with varies according to their own personal tastes - that will have to come from YOU. Go to Alaska, Go to the Caribbean, Go on Princess, Go on RCCL - that all comes from YOU!

Your best bet - find a good Travel Agent - A family Travel Agent - someone that knows about ALL the lines, ALL the kids perks, ALL the day camps - Between you and a good TA you can narrow down - trial and error in the form of questions....hahaha - what you may be interested in. But a good TA is your best form of information - and they are trained and licensed in the area of TRAVEL... Its a vacation, but its also an investment!! Use a professional!!

I am NOT a TA nor in advertising - its just my experience that my TA was more information and a bigger bang for my buck than the internet search engines - (and she really likes dishing out the OBC!) Every TA is unique - find one that will WORK for you...!!! I have not met my TA face to face - I have never been to her office - but with technology these days, the internet and telephone has given ME the comfort of developing a good working relationship. And you can too.

Cruising with kids - can be a delight!! Go prepared....

I can't agree MORE, my kids would disown me if I ever tried to cruise without them. I find it to be the most relaxing way to travel with little ones and the best way for everyone to have fun, there is something for everyone. It is especially easy when you cruise from your homeport, no airports or delays or baggage! It is also very economical compared to a land based vacation with airfare, food and entertainment. As for the people who think that kids shouldn't be on a cruise ship? They need to find a TA who knows enough about cruising to find them a ship that doesn't attract many families or that doesn't allow kids at all. There are ships for everyone these days and it takes a good TA to guide you in the right direction :-)

I completely agree! While I don't have kids of my own, when I was younger, my parents cruised with us ranging in age from 4-17. The four year old had been adopted internationally two years prior and her English was still a bit behind, but the camp counselors on Princess were wonderful with her!

Just curious, what sort of room do ya'll get. I'll be traveling without my husband on our first cruise, so sharing a room with my 5 yr old going to be a big deal. Granted, I won't be spending any late nights out. LOL. There are enough beds, etc. But what sort of configuration do you get when it's the 3 of you? Ideally, I'd like to be able to close a door when we put him to bed, but in a cabin??? How do you handle this part?

Archived