? for you NY'ers

karenj4546

We're taking HAL out of NY for a Bermuda cruise. We'll fly in the day before and they've got us at the Hilton Garden Inn in Queens, arriving in the mid-afternoon. We'll have 2 teens on the trip and I'm too "frugal" (the girls call it "cheap") to buy soda onboard. So....are there any places to shop for water, soda, fruit juice (for the rum which I did pre-buy) near to the hotel? I've got a GREAT duffel bag which we fit into a regular suitcase for the flight, then fill up with supermarket drinks prior to going to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for any/all answers!

Karen

I cannot tell you a specific store, but I will tell you this - buy whatever you want BEFORE you reach Manhattan (NYC). EVERYTHING is more expensive once you hit the city. Also, make sure you are allowed to bring the soda onboard. Many cruiselines have recently started banning this:eek: Also, consider buying the Crystal Lite (or other brands have it too) the small individual drink mixes you can add to a water bottle. Most of the iced tea's and lemonaides are pretty good and should save you a bundle (and they don't go bad and no bulk)

We're taking HAL out of NY for a Bermuda cruise. We'll fly in the day before and they've got us at the Hilton Garden Inn in Queens, arriving in the mid-afternoon. We'll have 2 teens on the trip and I'm too "frugal" (the girls call it "cheap") to buy soda onboard. So....are there any places to shop for water, soda, fruit juice (for the rum which I did pre-buy) near to the hotel? I've got a GREAT duffel bag which we fit into a regular suitcase for the flight, then fill up with supermarket drinks prior to going to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for any/all answers!

Karen

I think that the nearest shopping area [there _may_ be a small supermarket] is about half a mile up 130th street to Rockaway Blvd. The walk will be further as you will need to cross limited access roads [belt Parkway]. The Q10 bus has a stop near the hotel - looking at the MTA Queens Bus map that route serves Rockaway blvd and vicinity.

It's possible you might find a convenience store near the hotel, but its location is right off the Belt Parkway in a commercial/industrial area that is populated with businesses like rental car agencies, offsite airport parking lots, shipping companies, other hotels, etc...the types of businesses you might expect immediately adjacent to an airport.

Thanks for the quick answers...!

Yes, HAL board's talking about the soda issue...so far, it's still okay.

The bus might be the best answer... I can't believe that we're right next to JFK, as our flight comes in to LaGuardia (spelling?) Guess HAL gets a great deal there!

A bit off topic and not scare you.

Wow they put you in the land that time forgot. Apparently HAL agent who made the reservation for your hotel doesn't have a clue about Queens geography. I'm just saying.

If you are flying out of LGA why did they put you near JFK? I'm not familiar with the buses I know the A train to Rockaway Blvd and there's shopping in that area.

MY suggestion is also to bring the crystal light packets, theres a KEY Food supermarket near there.

I never let cruise lines do my hotel or airfare, I do it myself and most times cheaper and better hotels.I would ask the HAL agent why they put you there and not a hotel near LGA- to me who lived in Queens makes no sense.

Alrana

It is insane that you will be flying into LaGuardia Airport and then stay at a hotel further away from both Manhattan and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There are many more convenient locations in Queens closer to LaGuardia and Manhattan.

That being said, I have found that soda is regularly offered at a good price at the Hess service stations. Your hotel, at 134 St and S Conduit Av, is close to two service stations (and I think, but admittedly I cannot positively recall, that each sells soda). There are both Hess and BP at the intersection of 130 St and N Conduit Av, a relatively short and fairly easy to walk journey.

I am just as cheap, but I buy the soda before leaving home. This works out well since I typically travel to distant departure ports by railroad where limits on baggage are minimal, but since you're flying you may not want to weigh down the luggage and risk overweight fees merely for some soda.

LOL!

I usually book our own airfare and hotel, but this time I was offered a deal which I couldn't pass up. Now, I guess I understand WHY I'm getting such a good deal!

We're from Colorado (hence, I will not be bringing soda/water/juice in my suitcases. 50# could be used up awfully fast that way!) Thanks for the "heads up" about the gas stations...hope that they have bottled water and fruit juice (to mix with the rum), too.

I don't care for artifical sweeteners, neither for myself nor my family. Crystal light is loaded with them. I DO drink water on ships....out of the tap. Nearly as good as our mountain water! Still, with 2 teens coming, I know that soda will be important, and I just don't want to pay shipboard prices for it! I also like to get 2 bottles of water per person for shore excursions, which we refill in our cabins....(the kids don't lose them....my MIL has, though!)

Thanks to all of you for helping me out. Guess I'll pack the duffle and hope for the best!

Just for a heads up, the price at the Gas station is going to seem very high compared to what you would pay in the grocery store back in CO. I hope your kids appreciate you, because I would never take the bus to a gas station to get soda for my kids. I would tell them to drink the free water, or the free iced tea.:D How about Country Time Lemonade? That has regular sugar in it. There is always the option of the soda card sold on the ship.

Just for a heads up, the price at the Gas station is going to seem very high compared to what you would pay in the grocery store back in CO. I hope your kids appreciate you, because I would never take the bus to a gas station to get soda for my kids. I would tell them to drink the free water, or the free iced tea.:D How about Country Time Lemonade? That has regular sugar in it. There is always the option of the soda card sold on the ship.

The Hess stations I've been in (and I was at one today) usually have very good "specials" on whatever their featured brand of soda is that week...often as cheap or cheaper than a supermarket.

The Hess stations I've been in (and I was at one today) usually have very good "specials" on whatever their featured brand of soda is that week...often as cheap or cheaper than a supermarket.

I've purchased two 12-packs of Coca Cola for $5.00, plus tax and deposit, from the Hess station in my neighborhood. At worst, it will be two 12-packs for $8.00, plus tax and deposit. Many times the cheap price will be on either Coca Cola or Pepsi Cola, so it brand is not important you should be able to do well.

They sure as heck BETTER appreciate me! One is our daughter and the other is her best friend (who's around here enough to have earned the nickname "foster child")...we're paying for the whole trip, less $100 "spending money" which I'm insisting that each girl EARN prior to this cruise.

The soda card isn't a bad deal, but it's for 20 sodas and that's just more than I want either girl to drink by herself, in a 7 day period. Checked with HAL and it's limited to one kid (meaning they can't share the card).

Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this subject. For "fun", I just rechecked the hotel. Yeah, it's still the same one (was hoping that the "upgrade fairy" changed it while I wasn't looking!)

Karen

Actually, we've done this with our daughter and a different friend. They were responsible for watching the expenses and stayed PENNIES below their limit. A HUGE plus to this...both are girl scouts (in my troop) and have been for 10+ years. So...I have a certain amount of power to make their lives easy (or not so easy). Don't mistake that "girl scout" teens are "better" than other teens.... They're just used to following rules set down by me!

• 2 weeks later...
A bit off topic and not scare you.

Wow they put you in the land that time forgot. Apparently HAL agent who made the reservation for your hotel doesn't have a clue about Queens geography. I'm just saying.

If you are flying out of LGA why did they put you near JFK? I'm not familiar with the buses I know the A train to Rockaway Blvd and there's shopping in that area.

MY suggestion is also to bring the crystal light packets, theres a KEY Food supermarket near there.

I never let cruise lines do my hotel or airfare, I do it myself and most times cheaper and better hotels.I would ask the HAL agent why they put you there and not a hotel near LGA- to me who lived in Queens makes no sense.

Alrana

You're not kidding! Watching planes barely make it over the sign outside.

Took a cab to a mall and went to Sears (DH forgot to pack his pants!!!!!) Hit Walmart, too. So we're set. However, I'd NEVER choose to stay here! Beds are great, but yes....this is THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT!

Took a cab to a mall and went to Sears (DH forgot to pack his pants!!!!!) Hit Walmart, too. So we're set. However, I'd NEVER choose to stay here! Beds are great, but yes....this is THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT!

The Green Acres Mall? That is where the school where I work is. You get used to it.:)

which mall Queens Center Mall?

Alrana

Hi, Karen, I was born and bred in Queens. If your hotel is near the airport, LaGuardia, that is, you are in Elmhurst. There are alot of supermarkets in Elmhurst, Jackson Heights area. You are wise to shop in these areas before you go into Manhattan. Madmarti;)

Hi, Karen, I was born and bred in Queens. If your hotel is near the airport, LaGuardia, that is, you are in Elmhurst. There are alot of supermarkets in Elmhurst, Jackson Heights area. You are wise to shop in these areas before you go into Manhattan. Madmarti;)

Had our hotel been near LaGuardia, yes.... I don't know WHY HAL flew us into LaGuardia and then treked us out to JFK area for our overnight (and dropped us off at the wrong hotel!) No, this was NOT a mix-up on our parts...told the cruise rep who we were, she told the driver (and we were the only ones on that van), and we reminded the driver. Still, wrong hotel and HAL wouldn't answer phones at 3PM eastern time, so had to call the emergency number (her response after, "this is not the right number to call" was 10 minutes of being on hold followed by "they're not answering the phones...is there any way you can get yourselves to the correct hotel?").

I don't know the name of the mall, but it had a WalMart, where we were going to shop until we found a JC Penny's and got him 2 pair of Dockers.

I've always had a packing list for the kids...our daughter can now pack herself blindfolded! Now, I KNOW that I either pack for my DH or I need to make a list for him!

So, did you ever buy the soda? I guess Walmart had it. LOL. I still think you were at the Green Acres Mall in Rosedale which is on the South Conduit. But there is a Target there also, but maybe you didn't see it, because the Walmart and Target are not really attached to the mall. By the Walmart there is also a huge Home Depot and a BJs. For future reference of any cruisers staying at JFK and leaving from Manhattan there is also a Costco very near the airport on Rockaway Tpke.

I did see the Home Depot. Didn't see Target. Thing is, once we realized that DH forgot his pants (WHO FORGETS TO PACK PANTS???), getting them became a priority. Did pick up soda and fruit juice at WalMart, but since we knew that JCP had Dockers and we knew what size he needed, we stopped there to save time (the cabbie was SHOCKED at our 7 minute stop for pants!) When on a meter, time is important to me.

I did see the Home Depot. Didn't see Target. Thing is, once we realized that DH forgot his pants (WHO FORGETS TO PACK PANTS???), getting them became a priority. Did pick up soda and fruit juice at WalMart, but since we knew that JCP had Dockers and we knew what size he needed, we stopped there to save time (the cabbie was SHOCKED at our 7 minute stop for pants!) When on a meter, time is important to me.

You should have made him wear those elastic waist pants that they sell at Walmart. LOL. My husband once had training in Alabama in the middle of nowhere to find a Walmart to buy a pair of jeans. It is not as uncommon as you think. LOL.

The saga of flying to LGA, then staying near JFK, is another example of why I tend to avoid having others arrange my travel. Especially with all the internet resources available, I can readily read a map and a bus schedule so as to put together a reasonable plan. Where an agent is helpful is where the agent has specific (and usually first-hand) experience with a particular service or facility and can provide spot-on advice. I have a travel agent who has more experience with bus and rail systems throughout the entire world than most well-traveled people. He understands my desire to avoid air travel and to use travel itself (as opposed to the destination) as the end . . . and he acts and advocates in my interest. When arranging travel I plan out the route, give him the schedules specifying what I would like, and he will provide advice where warranted.

But otherwise, I would not trust having a minimum-wage HAL clerk in Seattle arrange for travel and lodging in New York City absent some compelling reason (e.g., a very good negotiated rate). Most agents are mere slaves to computers, being confined to just pushing buttons and accepting whatever comes out.

Archived