If "non-smoking" is really important to you, read this

tennisbets

Just returned from a fabulous 10 day Eastern med cruise on the Equinox but wanted to comment on something I don't recall ever seeing posted on the boards before. Like so many, we were thrilled to find out that the Celebrity ships are non-smoking, having been surrounded by balconies filled with heavy smokers on previous cruises. We booked a balcony on deck 6, with a slightly obstructed view, right at the beginning of the hump, 6243. While the balcony was oversized and very nice, we were distressed to realize that one of the designated smoking sections on board the ship was right below us. Not sure if all of deck 5 is smoking, or only the port side, but the seating was right below us and the area was heavily used by smokers, resulting in, once again, a balcony that was not smoke-free. Just wanted to give a heads up for those that are really bothered by smoke, it would be worth it to find out where your cabin is in relation to the smoking areas. The med cruise was not particularly breezy, so the smoke did not "blow away" and may have affected the higher decks as well.

Just returned from a fabulous 10 day Eastern med cruise on the Equinox but wanted to comment on something I don't recall ever seeing posted on the boards before. Like so many, we were thrilled to find out that the Celebrity ships are non-smoking, having been surrounded by balconies filled with heavy smokers on previous cruises. We booked a balcony on deck 6, with a slightly obstructed view, right at the beginning of the hump, 6243. While the balcony was oversized and very nice, we were distressed to realize that one of the designated smoking sections on board the ship was right below us. Not sure if all of deck 5 is smoking, or only the port side, but the seating was right below us and the area was heavily used by smokers, resulting in, once again, a balcony that was not smoke-free. Just wanted to give a heads up for those that are really bothered by smoke, it would be worth it to find out where your cabin is in relation to the smoking areas. The med cruise was not particularly breezy, so the smoke did not "blow away" and may have affected the higher decks as well.

Thanks for the information. It would be a good idea to add this information to the sticky on S class rooms.

There is a sticky at the top of the X boards page. Please go to that thread and fill in the information you listed. It's a Solstice cabins thread. They have tons of useful info there and this is just the kind of info we all need to know before booking.

Sorry you got stuck. Shame your TA didn't know this and warn you. By the way, smoking is port side only

Is the smoking area different on different ships? In other words can you count on deck 5 being where folks can smoke on all ships? I'm looking at a cruise on Century and I thought the smoking area on that ship was on deck 10. And is it only on one deck on each ship where smoking is allowed?

Thanks.

I assume this is the sticky you are referring to? Here's my post. Anywhere else I should go to relay this info?

Equinox 6243, not really "non-smoking"

Ship: Equinoxmenupop.gif

Deck - Sixth

Cabin # - 6243

Class – 2 C obstructed balcony

Starboard or Port Side - Port

Bed near?(balcony or bath) – Balcony

Quiet Cabin ( With comments on problems. Note if connecting. ) – Very quiet - not connecting

Balcony View - Give comments on view, noting if location of any obstructions was an issue. – View not really obstructed except if looking straight down, not a problem.

Balcony Size? Normal or oversized for class? - Oversized, angled and part of the hump. Biggest complaint, deck 5 smoking section (seating) was right below and heavily used throughout the cruise. Definitely affected our use of the balcony and ability to leave the doors open.

Was wind a problem? No

Any specific problems with this cabin? Other than the smoke from below, no.

Any other comments? Loved being mid-ship, near the stairs and elevators, very convenient. Too bad about the smoking, otherwise a great room.

This has been noted before, but doesn't get a lot of attention. Another area of concern is the aft cabins on deck 9 of M-class ships-- some have reported being bothered by smoke drifting down from the open-air area above that's adjacent to the buffet. At least smoke usually rises, not sinks, depending on tne wind, but the potential caused us to bypass one of these otherwise excellent cabins.

I assume this is the sticky you are referring to? Here's my post. Anywhere else I should go to relay this info?

Equinox 6243, not really "non-smoking"

Ship: Equinoxmenupop.gif

Deck - Sixth

Cabin # - 6243

Class – 2 C obstructed balcony

Starboard or Port Side - Port

Bed near?(balcony or bath) – Balcony

Quiet Cabin ( With comments on problems. Note if connecting. ) – Very quiet - not connecting

Balcony View - Give comments on view, noting if location of any obstructions was an issue. – View not really obstructed except if looking straight down, not a problem.

Balcony Size? Normal or oversized for class? - Oversized, angled and part of the hump. Biggest complaint, deck 5 smoking section (seating) was right below and heavily used throughout the cruise. Definitely affected our use of the balcony and ability to leave the doors open.

Was wind a problem? No

Any specific problems with this cabin? Other than the smoke from below, no.

Any other comments? Loved being mid-ship, near the stairs and elevators, very convenient. Too bad about the smoking, otherwise a great room.

That's the right place to post--thanks for taking the time to share the information!

Our last cruise, befrore the Ruby, was on the Equinox in AQ; and, we were not bothered with any smoke. We are non smokers; hence, if there was a problem we may have sensed same, but we do not sweat the small stuff. Addtionally, we were in a mini suite on the Princess; and again we were not bothered by smokers endeavors.

Somewhere here on the boards I read that, at least on Infinity, all of the smoking areas are on the port side. That's causing me to switch my cabin to starboard!

We were in 6115, smoking was permitted right below us but the life boats sort of blocked smoke from coming up to us. That, or the wind. :confused:

I think all public port side decks allow smoking, so in the future I will book starboard.

Our last cruise, befrore the Ruby, was on the Equinox in AQ; and, we were not bothered with any smoke. We are non smokers; hence, if there was a problem we may have sensed same, but we do not sweat the small stuff. Addtionally, we were in a mini suite on the Princess; and again we were not bothered by smokers endeavors.

Just rotten luck for us. I think the set of chairs below our cabin must have been a favorite hangout for a heavy smoker or two. I certainly didn't "sweat it", but for those who choose Celebrity specifically because it is non-smoking, this could be a real issue. As it is, we could have lived without it, but it didn't ruin the cruise or anything..........just trying to give others a fair warning. Since the cruise was advertised as "non-smoking", it came as quite a surprise.

What a bummer. I appreciate you sharing your advice with others. I have added your info. in red to the S Class cabin spreadsheet to alert others - I'm working on the latest update now - and hope to get it posted in the next couple of days.

You are missing the point of the OP's post and it's usefulness to others. AQ cabins are 5 decks up so you wouldn't smell any smoke, but my observations whilst walking the "promenade" area confirms what I thought might be the case on the port side and why I avoid that area of lower placed cabins.

tennisbets, thanks for posting.

Phil

You are missing the point of the OP's post and it's usefulness to others. AQ cabins are 5 decks up so you wouldn't smell any smoke, but my observations whilst walking the "promenade" area confirms what I thought might be the case on the port side and why I avoid that area of lower placed cabins.

tennisbets, thanks for posting.

Phil

I suppose that our only connection with deck 5, would have been trips to Blu or Michael's Club, although I do recall venturing outside on said deck, and not being bothered by smoke. However, due to our lack of concern about this matter, we may have been on either side and may not have noticed smokers, if there were any of the aforesaid.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We met a couple on the Eclipse who had a deck 6 balcony cabin and moved up to deck 9 on the 3rd day of the cruise because of the smoking problem from deck 5. It really is something to be aware of if you have a balcony cabin on deck 6 above the smoking area.

I guess if enough folks complain to guest relations , they may have to re think the smoking areas on these ships.

Thanks for your kind words Phil and Abbafan. Honestly, for us, it wasn't a dealbreaker, just a big disappointment. However, anyone who is a Celebrity regular and follows these boards has to be aware of how many people choose the line specifically because of the "non-smoking" environment. Those people would rightfully be very upset to have selected our cabin. I also assume it affects many of the others on the port side hump on Deck 6, as there are seating arrangements at both ends of the hump. As much research as people do to select just the right cabin to meet their needs, I think the fact that this section can be subjected to smoke from below is something most people wouldn't leave to luck of the draw. Nuff said........ :)

We have just left HAL because on our last cruise the use of our balcony was decreased due to smokers on the adjacent balcony.

We are new to Celebrity and are booked on the Constellation next spring on deck 6 port side. Since the issue was on the Equinox, will there also be smokng on the deck 5 port side of the Connie? Should we change our cabin to starboard?

These boards are so helpful! :o

This has been noted before, but doesn't get a lot of attention. Another area of concern is the aft cabins on deck 9 of M-class ships-- some have reported being bothered by smoke drifting down from the open-air area above that's adjacent to the buffet. At least smoke usually rises, not sinks, depending on tne wind, but the potential caused us to bypass one of these otherwise excellent cabins.

The cigar smoke on the deck above the Ocean View Bar on the back of Equinox drifts down to the Ocean View Bar area. The saddest part is the Sky Bar at the front of the ship ALSO allows smoking.

And, smoking is allowed on the port side "promenade". Between the smoke and the loud music on Equinox, I'm about ready to give up and go for a Princess Cruise. Still undecided. Please keep posting, this is a very important topic.

Smoke is not only an annoyance, for some it's a health issue. We just got off Solstice AQ starboard side and were grateful not to have to deal with smoke. The only place we were surprised by it was in the SKY lounge and I found out there is a smoking area just outside on port side of SKY. Smoke was blowing in through the doors I guess.

I have the smoking letter available to all guests on embarkation. I took a copy so I could avoid those smoking areas :p

For those who need to know, on Celebrity Solstice these are smoking areas:

*Port side of SKY, our observation lounge on Deck 14

Please note: Cigar and Pipe smoking is not permitted in this location

*Port side of the Pool Deck, Deck 12

*Starboard side of the Sun Deck, Deck 14

*Deck 5 port side promenade where chairs, tables and ashtrays are provided

*Sunset Bar, starboard side, Deck 15 aft.

This is also the designated area for Cigar and Pipe smoking

We find that we can usually avoid the smoke on the M-class ships by staying on the starboard side whenever we are in public areas of the ship where smoking is allowed.

One exception is in the large observation lounges at the front of the ships (known by different names on different ships). There the smoke sometimes drifts over from the port side and can be smelled in the rest of the room.

The problem could be solved, accommodating both smokers and non-smokers, by putting a glass enclosure around a small part of the lounge on the port side. That would create an enclosed smoking area without obstructing the view.

It is helpful when they stay consistent by restricting smoking areas to one side of the ship or the other instead of having them on the port side in some places and on the starboard side in others.

Archived