Disappointing balcony view on Radiance of the Seas

Don’t get me wrong, the June 4th 2010 cruise to Alaska was wonderful despite my disappointment with the view. Great service, good food and a great ship but the view out of our cabin was disappointing.

Our cabin along with the surrounding cabins (left, right and above) are above the lifeboats, a canopy covers the lifeboats, so what you see when on your balcony is non accessible 15 foot (approx) canopy beyond your railing. No view below the cabin and no view of the water. Side note: while leaving Juno there was a whale swimming alongside the ship, we couldn’t see it, until it swam away from the ship and far enough to clear the canopy. We didn’t bother to investigate the balcony prior to booking the cruise, we’d had a balcony on Freedom and that one was fabulous. Made the assumption that the balcony on the Radiance would be equal, we were wrong. I think like most cruisers we started out on our first cruse in an inside cabin. Next cruise moved to an outside and then finally made the move to a balcony on the Freedom of the Seas. It made a big difference on Freedom and was well worth the extra money but I don’t think it’s worth the extra on Radiance and maybe its sister ships. You might want to check it out before you book.

Attached are two views.

DSCF0070.jpg.4de16b3bc6cee0c90c2f4bea0cce1074.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg.a06fd3d2bb9da5fa9c8b5d3359cae50b.jpg

Edited by td_route66

You don't really have that problem on the higher floors. Sorry you didn't like it but the Radiance is one of our favorite ships and we were on in May and probably had one of the best balcony's ever (10th floor). Next time, ask on these boards for picture of the room you might book to see if there are any negatives, etc, imho

Sorry to hear that you were not happy with your balcony. That same topic (life boat cover blocking your view) on the Radiance Class Ships has been discussed on these boards many times. These boards have a lot of information, I would suggest researching your stateroom next time.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Steve

Edited by swooldri

You don't really have that problem on the higher floors. Sorry you didn't like it but the Radiance is one of our favorite ships and we were on in May and probably had one of the best balcony's ever (10th floor). Next time, ask on these boards for picture of the room you might book to see if there are any negatives, etc, imho

We booked another Royal Caribbean cruise for September on the Explorer of the Sea, cabin 9592. I don't know how to link to it but I've posted a request for info on this forum under "Explorer balcony obstructions". Additionally Royal Caribbean said when they get a chance, they'll take a digital photo from the balcony on Explorer and send it to me. Hopefully I'll get something. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1225255

Edited by td_route66
corrected cabin number

That really does kinda suck. I thank you though for letting us know. Actually, I like you booked a 7th floor balcony for my Southern Caribbean cruise on Serenade and recently noticed someone had posted about the obstruction. I was able to book a ninth floor bigger cabin AND the balcony prices have dropped so I only am paying 25 bucks more with no obstruction AND am still midship where I prefer so, again thanks for posting the info. Sailing in 76 days!

Edited by cruisebabe50

I must be one of the few CC folks who does think this is an issue. I had a balcony in this area and never considered it an issue. To be honest – the covers brought so much needed warm sun reflection to the balcony. I’ve had a forward balcony on 7 with the half railing that some complain about the lack of privacy and did not consider it an issue either. I generally try to book aft and have had 2 center afts and have 9256 this Fall.

So let me understand, I know that the lifeboat covers jut out at deck 7, but since they go out -10-15 feet – doesn’t it somewhat impede a full water view from the cabins above also?

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

That really does kinda suck. I thank you though for letting us know. Actually, I like you booked a 7th floor balcony for my Southern Caribbean cruise on Serenade and recently noticed someone had posted about the obstruction. I was able to book a ninth floor bigger cabin AND the balcony prices have dropped so I only am paying 25 bucks more with no obstruction AND am still midship where I prefer so, again thanks for posting the info. Sailing in 76 days!

The bigger cabin and higher up is better, for $25 that's great. Have a great trip, I'm sure you will.

Here is a picture I found of the deck 7 balconies. Notice the ones far forward are the extended balcony E category cabins. There was a discussion yesterday about those also having a partial lifeboat cover view. I didn't think they did and this verifies it. I have one of them booked and wasn't looking forward to a blockage if there was one. Now I think it will be great. And I actually like the opening and the lack of partition going all the way to the edge....or in theory I do.

Maybe I can't link to someone else's picture...but this is the link if you want to go see for yourself.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1130465552053366211OVgUVD

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I must be one of the few CC folks who does think this is an issue. I had a balcony in this area and never considered it an issue. To be honest – the covers brought so much needed warm sun reflection to the balcony. I’ve had a forward balcony on 7 with the half railing that some complain about the lack of privacy and did not consider it an issue either. I generally try to book aft and have had 2 center afts and have 9256 this Fall.

So let me understand, I know that the lifeboat covers jut out at deck 7, but since they go out -10-15 feet – doesn’t it somewhat impede a full water view from the cabins above also?

M

If you look at the link to the picture I just posted, you will see that deck 8 doesn't really have that much better of a view. But deck 9 and 10 stick out farther so it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm usually on deck 10 on this ship and I was never crazy about the overhang above. It's always in the way of the pictures. :rolleyes: All ships seem to have there visual issues.

Tell me more about your forward cabin. I have one booked and am really looking forward to it. I think it will be cool to be that low down and closer to the water with a balcony. I selected it because I believed there was no visual obstruction looking down. I like the idea of being able to visit with others on their balcony without having to lean around the partition. There seems to be plenty of private space back father behind the partition.

My biggest issue is the cabin size. I could have gotten a free upgrade to a D category at the time of booking (a special on board booking promotion) but I like the location of the E cabin better and wanted to try that type of balcony. So I declined the upgrade.

Gina

That sure is good to hear!:D I was getting aprehensive about what I've been hearing about the Radiance balconys. We have cabin 1024 booked ... it's fwd and away from the lifeboats (or is it lifeships?:rolleyes:) so it doesn't appear we'll have those issues. Thanks for the info.

That sure is good to hear!:D I was getting aprehensive about what I've been hearing about the Radiance balconys. We have cabin 1024 booked ... it's fwd and away from the lifeboats (or is it lifeships?:rolleyes:) so it doesn't appear we'll have those issues. Thanks for the info.

You are right....it will be a great view. We have booked 1026 for next May. I'll keep it unless I don't think I can stand a cabin that size. :rolleyes: I really prefer a JS and if the prices drop much, I'll move on up. :)

We've been on deck 10 on Radiance plenty of times and the view is great - lifeboat covers or not. But I think those forward cabins will be even better.

Gina

check this site for cabin pictures while you research rooms.

http://www.*****

I did not start this site but it is a great resource. Don't forget to add your pictures to the site.

I am noticing one problem with this site. Apparently a lot of people don't remember what room they were in when they post pictures. Some of these rooms I've been in and the beds aren't even in the right place leading me to believe they don't even know what ship they were on.

I found one cabin that by it's number should be an extended balcony on deck 7. By the pictures, it's definitely a regular balcony.

It's a nice start with limited pictures but it would be nice if there was some way to verify the accuracy of the pictures posted.

It's nice to see 7108 on Serenade. They definitely got that one right....the beds are in the right place and the extra large balcony is nicely pictured.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I am noticing one problem with this site. Apparently a lot of people don't remember what room they were in when they post pictures. Some of these rooms I've been in and the beds aren't even in the right place leading me to believe they don't even know what ship they were on.

Gina

That is disappointing to hear. I know they have a spot you can let them know when you see an issue with a room. I found that they didn't have all the rooms listed on some ships. I let them know about it and they had it corrected within a couple of days.

It is better then nothing.

Here is a picture I found of the deck 7 balconies. Notice the ones far forward are the extended balcony E category cabins. There was a discussion yesterday about those also having a partial lifeboat cover view. I didn't think they did and this verifies it. I have one of them booked and wasn't looking forward to a blockage if there was one. Now I think it will be great. And I actually like the opening and the lack of partition going all the way to the edge....or in theory I do.

Maybe I can't link to someone else's picture...but this is the link if you want to go see for yourself.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1130465552053366211OVgUVD

Gina

Exactly why I took this picture. I would hate to be in that section of the ship no matter which deck. Were were in 8088 when I took it and booked the hump again, leaving again on her in 3 days, woohoo!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Exactly why I took this picture. I would hate to be in that section of the ship no matter which deck. Were were in 8088 when I took it and booked the hump again, leaving again on her in 3 days, woohoo!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Oh THERE you are! :D great shots. It must be your settings that kept me from linking to your picture. I wasn't trying to steal it. LOL

It was a great shot and it alleviated my extended balcony fears. Thanks for posting it.

Gina

That is disappointing to hear. I know they have a spot you can let them know when you see an issue with a room. I found that they didn't have all the rooms listed on some ships. I let them know about it and they had it corrected within a couple of days.

It is better then nothing.

It IS better than nothing. There are some great shots of some of the more important rooms....those at the very back of the hall with obstructed views - the correct pics. And the all important corner afts.

I know in the past I've met people who have been on a cruise. I will ask what ship they went on...they say, "I don't know." HUH? Your kidding? How do some people not know or remember the name of the ship. :eek:

Gina

Also in my next picture you can see it could be worse..... your railing could be useless if you don't like talking with some stranger first thing in the morning.

130465609mCWvUq_th.jpg

BonVoyage

Dawna

I had one of these extended balconies. I did not mind the open area at the end. In fact, it was great to allow extra airflow! Those balconies can get HOT in the Caribbean.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Since you have CL access...go up to Juan Diego and give him a big hug. Tell him it's from Gina....he will laugh. Then say this..."you never looked this good before". It has to be said just like that. Do it...it will be funny. He is an exceptionally good sport. He loves to use expressions and figures of speech. I had to teach him that the proper way to say this is "you never looked better". That's what he meant but it sure doesn't sound the same. LOL

Did you meet him on a previous cruise? It looks like you haven't been on this ship in a while, so probably not. He's a blast.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Sorry to hear that you were not happy with your balcony. That same topic (life boat cover blocking your view) on the Radiance Class Ships has been discussed on these boards many times. These boards have a lot of information, I would suggest researching your stateroom next time.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Steve

Give this new poster a break. I am sure there was a time when you did not know everything.