Disappointing balcony view on Radiance of the Seas

Thanks Gina. For the last few years we have done smaller lower cabins because the boys have been with us and I wanted our own cabin. Now maybe I can splurge and get a balcony again.

If you're able to splurge and get a balcony.......and I hope you can.....aft balconies on deck 8 are still available for the cruise you're looking at. They're cat D2 and a little bit more per person than the lowest cat balcony. An added plus is the cabin is larger too. :)

Here's a picture of the balcony on 8670 and another picture of all the afts

IMG_1815HDTV1080.jpg

RadianceAftViewcabinsws.jpg

I'm usually on deck 10 on this ship and I was never crazy about the overhang above.

Gina

I'm thinking that the overhang is a good thing for end-of-season Alaska cruises though. If it's rainy/drizzly, etc (which it's absolutely NOT going to be! ;) ) then I'd think this was a benefit. No? :confused:

Give this new poster a break. I am sure there was a time when you did not know everything.

I never said I knew everything...just suggesting they use these boards to there fullest...calm down...please

Edited by swooldri

I'm thinking that the overhang is a good thing for end-of-season Alaska cruises though. If it's rainy/drizzly, etc (which it's absolutely NOT going to be! ;) ) then I'd think this was a benefit. No? :confused:

Yes, really the overhang is nice in most respects. I like it for the hot climates because it keeps the sun from baking on the balcony and I prefer shade. The only real drawback for me is that it does get in the way of some pictures. It's just there at the top of the frame and unavoidable sometimes. I love deck 10.

Gina

Here's a side view of the Mariner.....sister to the Explorer. This class of ship does not have the lifeboat covers like the Radiance.

MarinerHump.jpg

Just to add a note, one difference between Mariner and Explorer is that as a first generation Voyager class, Explorer has the balconies built into the bulkhead, so a solid metal bottom:

DSC_0008-3.jpg

Just to add a note, one difference between Mariner and Explorer is that as a first generation Voyager class, Explorer has the balconies built into the bulkhead, so a solid metal bottom:

Thanks for the update.......I forgot about that big difference.....:o

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

If you don't mind looking out at the lifeboat cover then no. If that bothers you then yes. What date are you sailing? Is it on Radiance? You signature says 7/11/11 and Radiance is sailing 7/8/11 or 7/15/11. If it's either of those dates and you can afford a little more per person I'd suggest looking at cat E1. The center hump cabins are open for those dates. No obstructions and great views both forward and aft.

Opps, made the correction to the 8th. Thanks for the heads up on the "humps"

The RCL Website indicates which cabins have obstructed views, so it's a good idea to check if that's important to you. Also, you can get great views from the deck anytime you want, even if you are in an inside cabin.

The RCL Website indicates which cabins have obstructed views, so it's a good idea to check if that's important to you. Also, you can get great views from the deck anytime you want, even if you are in an inside cabin.

I'm looking at the RCL deck plan for deck seven. Don't see where they indicate obstructed view. Where did you find the notation?

I have connecting cabins 7166 and 7168 booked for our Serenade cruise in January, 2011. My parents are next door in 7170. I was able to find photos of 7170 here: http://www.*****/view_room.php?r_id=60058

My question is: Is the ledge that I see on the other side of the balcony railing part of the ship or lifeboat covers? It looks like part of the ship to me. When I look at photos of the whole ship, I don't see lifeboats that far stern. Does anyone know? It doesn't really matter too much since I probably won't be able to switch due to needing connecting cabins. I just like to know what to expect before I go. I know that these cabins are over the Safari Club stage and that we may get some noise as well. The one benefit is that the balconies are very large and have lounge chairs.

I have connecting cabins 7166 and 7168 booked for our Serenade cruise in January, 2011. My parents are next door in 7170. I was able to find photos of 7170 here: http://www.*****/view_room.php?r_id=60058

My question is: Is the ledge that I see on the other side of the balcony railing part of the ship or lifeboat covers? It looks like part of the ship to me. When I look at photos of the whole ship, I don't see lifeboats that far stern. Does anyone know? It doesn't really matter too much since I probably won't be able to switch due to needing connecting cabins. I just like to know what to expect before I go. I know that these cabins are over the Safari Club stage and that we may get some noise as well. The one benefit is that the balconies are very large and have lounge chairs.

You might be OK, I noticed that some of the cabins forward and aft had a no obstruction. You could see down to the water no lifeboats. Sorry I don't know what cabin numbers where in the clear.

I'm looking at the RCL deck plan for deck seven. Don't see where they indicate obstructed view. Where did you find the notation?

That's the problem. The balcony cabins on deck 7 are not considered obstructed since there is nothing at all in front of the railing to block your outward view. The lifeboat covers that block the downward view are not considered to be obstructions by RCI.

Just know that only the forward cabins on deck 7 with the extended balconies are the only ones with no lifeboat covers in front of the balcony. If you drop something over the railing up there....it's goodbye forever. :)

Gina

You might be OK, I noticed that some of the cabins forward and aft had a no obstruction. You could see down to the water no lifeboats. Sorry I don't know what cabin numbers where in the clear.

From what I've seen, it appears the deck 7 towards the aft with the extended balconies have a smaller platform in front of the balconies. It's not as wide as the mid-ship cabins but I think it's still there. I don't know this from experience, just from various pictures.

Gina

If you don't mind looking out at the lifeboat cover then no. If that bothers you then yes. What date are you sailing? Is it on Radiance? You signature says 7/11/11 and Radiance is sailing 7/8/11 or 7/15/11. If it's either of those dates and you can afford a little more per person I'd suggest looking at cat E1. The center hump cabins are open for those dates. No obstructions and great views both forward and aft.

Sue, I book with RCCL, no travel agent. I contacted her yesterday. She said, and sent me pictures, that 7588 is not obstructed. I told her I have read otherwise. At this point I am going to send her pictures posted here. Should I be more insistant? I purchased through WOW and comment made possibly losing $100 OBC. My comment, due to what I am paying for the entire cruise plus tour, $100 is not the issue. Thanks for your input. Another Sue

Sue, I book with RCCL, no travel agent. I contacted her yesterday. She said, and sent me pictures, that 7588 is not obstructed. I told her I have read otherwise. At this point I am going to send her pictures posted here. Should I be more insistant? I purchased through WOW and comment made possibly losing $100 OBC. My comment, due to what I am paying for the entire cruise plus tour, $100 is not the issue. Thanks for your input. Another Sue

I was in 7588 for an Alaska sailing. RCCL does not consider it obstructed, nor do I but many folks do not like the lifeboat covering just below the balcony. I had NO problem seeing out. Since the covering is there – don’t all the cabins above have the same issue? Some had noted RCCL maintenance outside the window but I did not experience anything like that.

I could not look straight down to see the edge of the ship at the waterline – but that was NEVER an issue or problem. I generally sit or stand on the balcony and look out – or look out from the cabin. There was ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM doing this.

The cabin is convenient to the stairs and elevator and we like that location if not staying in an aft.

If you think you will be unhappy with that cabin, you may want to consider changing to a different location.

Enjoy

M

Here is Starboard side....

2844364610037912873S500x500Q85.jpg

Port side Aft

RCI says there is no obstruction as you can see straight out. It's not a big deal for some but is for others. For me it is. For you it might not be.

If you look at the great picture that Patti posted above cabin 7588 would be to the right of the hump and above the darker section of the first lifeboat.

I don't know about WOW sale bookings, changing to another category and how that would affect your OBC. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

In checking your booking date hump cabins 8596, 8598 and 7604 are still available. They are cat E1 and are $60pp more than the E3. IMHO I'd book one of those cabins.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I'm pretty sure you have the lifeboat "obstructed view". It only limits you from looking directly down. If you look at the deck 7 floor plans you can see where the ship dips in from forward to the hump, and then again from the hump to the aft. Those "dips" are where the lifeboats are... and thus the reason for being E3 cabins.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=07&shipCode=RD&shipProfile=1368&sailDate=1100709&hasNavigation=false