At what point do cruise prices hit their lowest?

When I've needed to book a cruise during a school break, I book as early as possible. This was for a cruise I needed to fly to florida for, and there were no price drops before final payment - the fare only went up. And as others have noted, if you book last minute & need to book airfare, the cost of that will likely eat up any savings on the cruise & then some.

I've got price drops about half the time. Back in the day when cruise lines honored price drops (or gave OBC) up to sailing, it was easier of course. But it's still possible. You need to check for price drops frequently because sometimes they don't even last a day. The price drops, people book and then they can go right back up again. If you book a category that has lots of cabins still available there is more chance of seeing a price drop, than if there are only few.

Someday when I retire, I'll be able to book more cruises with short notice when securing time off from work won't be an issue. There are some cruises I can take from ports near by, and I don't mind driving. Heck I would drive quite a ways if it meant getting a bargain cruise.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

We booked because we found a great deal on NCL - free balcony upgrades. So for the price we would have paid for an inside stateroom we have an almost-aft (last one on the row, before the aft suites) balcony room. The price has since gone up over $600 between the two of us...we did this about a year in advance. I'm sure we'll spend that $600 on the boat anyways between specialty dining & excursions but at least it's $600 less out of our pockets! Plus when you book far in advance you can pay a bit towards it each payday (for those of us who aren't retired).

Also - DH and I have to secure our leave 6 months in advance at work. And we use our frequent flier miles (from business travel) to fly to port so booking far in advance worked well for us.

What suggestions do you have for the easiest way to track where the price of a cabin class is?

Do you have to:

1. Go to the Cruise Line Website

2. Choose your voyage

3. Start to make a booking

4. Choose the same type of cabin as the one you have booked

5. See what the current price is…

Or, is there an easier way?

I too would be curious if there is an easier way!

I'm planning an Alaskan cruise in September, 2012. We've decided upon the ship, the date, and even the cabins we want. Now the hard choice is when to book to get the best fare!

We're pretty particular about the cabins we want, so would hate to wait too long, only to have them sold out. On the other hand, especially with the poor economic predictions for the next year, would we be better off waiting for a couple of months for a better price? The fares have been pretty steady for the last couple of weeks.

Any thoughts?

If you have decided on the exact cruise you want...BOOK NOW! If the price goes down, they will credit the difference, but if it goes up, then you have your price locked in. I always book direct with the cruiseline so that I can watch the prices and all I've had to do is call and they adjust the price. You never know where the prices are going to go...we've had cruises go up significantly in price and we've had some drop in price. The earlier you book, the better chance you have of getting the lowest price.

• 2 years later...
I was wondering at what point before a cruise do most prices come down to the lowest. We can cruise last minute and are flexible. Would it be around the 6 week mark? Or would they be cheaper closer to sailing? :confused: Is is better to go directly to the cruise ship website, or check another source?

Thanks.

This was an old post, but I am awaiting to upgrade to a suite guarantee for a celebrity Jan cruise. The sailing appears to have many empty sky suites now. Possibly will have more before the final payment is due in October.

Any informed guesses as to when the prices for a guarantee suite might drop?

I will watch the site daily beginning October to book if the price drops.

• 3 weeks later...
So if we book now with celebrity and the price drops will we get the lower price? Do I have to keep checking and let them know? How does it work?

Thank you

Yes- as long as the cruise isn't paid in full. If you booked directly from Celebrity call them as soon as you see the price has dropped. They will adjust. If a TA, call also immediately and they will contact celebrity and get the discount. I have never used a "wholesaler" alledged cruise discount company- so I am not sure if you are locked into the rate with them.

I changed on an upcoming RC cruise when I noticed that the Central Park Balcony price dropped significantly about two weeks ago.

A couple of years ago, as we prepared to disembark, the butler brought in a gentleman who was looking at available suites. He was deciding whether to book a few hours before embarkation. Obviously, several suites were available as the discussion made it clear he had choices. I have always wondered what kind of deal he got - booking at the eleventh hour, fifty-ninth minute like that.

IMO, book early and keep checking prices. Sometimes, prices drop, and sometimes they increase. You never know. On one cruise, the price we originally booked was the best price, even AFTER final payment. On another cruise, they lowered our price at final payment. On two other cruises, after final payment, we were offered an upgrade at a great price.

A couple of years ago, as we prepared to disembark, the butler brought in a gentleman who was looking at available suites. He was deciding whether to book a few hours before embarkation. Obviously, several suites were available as the discussion made it clear he had choices. I have always wondered what kind of deal he got - booking at the eleventh hour, fifty-ninth minute like that.

I wonder if this would be possible now, given the security restrictions and the need for authorities to check passengers prior to boarding?

Did you get a sense this gentleman was a passenger on the cruise you were just completing, and was considering staying on board for the next cruise?

So if we book now with celebrity and the price drops will we get the lower price? Do I have to keep checking and let them know? How does it work?

Thank you

The trick is that you have to be diligent about checking the prices. Bookmark the web page for your cruise on your cruise line's website and make it a habit to check it on a daily basis (if possible). If you do see a price drop, then try to call the cruise line immediately to take advantage of it.

We usually book 1-2 weeks before departure...... we've got some great bargains!

Our last cruise was $269 for 7 days....

Last Sunday we booked a 10-day cruise for $299.

Last minute is best!!

I agree. We found this out by booking a cruise after Hurricane Sandy cancelled our New York trip. We were able to book a inside cabin 7 day for $279. 1 week before sail date. And also living 2 hours from port allows us to wait for last minute deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 years ago on Carnival we called our travel agent and filled out an online form at got $300 in room credits.

This year we have also received $300 off of our balance. They key is to book they EARLY SAVERS fare when you 1st book. this gives you price protection. If before your final payment date you get money off of your balance if its after they give you room credits. pretty easy

We booked Independence of the Seas and paid in full just before the Dec. 7 sail date. It was cheap for an 8 night, but not worth it. It actually went down $100 to $329 inside after we booked. They sent senior groups all over special deals with transport and there were 2,000 crotchity, rude, mean, snarly, decrepit seniors, many with walkers or scooters. It was like, "What the heck is this?" Also, they rolled out a new menu with cheapened selections and bad food. Talked to area manager in our dining room and he was explaining that they just want to cut costs and everyone is complaining! No kidding. Worst cruise ever. When you have trouble finding one item you really want, the menu is bad. Chef's vegetables were rutabaga, carrots, and celery cut up and nasty (nightly) and we always switched out. Overdone steak, chicken, and salmon. Bad. Big lobster 2nd to last night, but little flavor. Entertainment not as good as Oasis and Allure. Doing a "Carnival" where ship singers and dancers are the entertainment 3 nights. 17th cruise and rates at the bottom especially when you are aware of what it could be.

• 3 weeks later...