VERY brief review of our Solstice cruise (6/20 - 27)

tiffnco

Hello everyone!

It just doesn't seem fair that after getting off the ship yesterday, I'm back in the office today.

I plan on posting a more detailed review once I have a chance to download photos and stuff...but had to pop in with a few highlights (and lowlights) from the vacation.

We were in AQ 1606 (with the large balcony) and had friends in 1602 / 1604/ and 1608. We opened up the balcony dividers and really enjoyed having all that space to ourselves. If you are interested in doing this, I would stay away from 1608, as they had the large support beam (this does not affect the balcony in any way) which made walking to the other balconies a little difficult. Otherwise, we were thrilled with the arrangements. By the way, we all agreed that the overhang was a welcome respit from the hot caribbean sun and "liquid sunshine" we encountered.

The biggest "plus" of the trip was Blu. I am now officially spoiled for life. I don't think I'll be able to go back to regular dining. It wasn't just the food (which was terrific), but it was the waitstaff, the environment, the Maitre 'd (my favoirte of all cruises), and being able to go anytime we wanted.

We were all busy resting that we didn't really take advantage of all the activities...so I can't comment on any of them.

I had the Premium Alcohol Package and if I were to go again, I would probably just go drink-by-drink. I don't think I drank the entire value...but I don't feel as if I left a lot on the table. We figured that you need 4 $12 drinks per day to equal the value. This is tough to do with cocktails...but we made up the difference with wine at dinner. (I was so excited that they had Nickel & Nickel by the glass!)

The only negative I can say is the bar service was rather spotty. There were many servers who seemed cranky or had other things they wanted to be doing. I don't know if this is an individual's issue...or if it's related to the new drink packages...but we did get this at several bars. We never felt singled out by having the package - and that's why I think it was a case-by-case situation. But there were several bars where this happened. And supplies were low. Many of the craft beers were never available, they ran out of items frequently and coffee drinks at Cafe al Bacio were different depending on who made them. One day I had a submlime Caffe Vieneese and the next time I ordered it, it was completely different. I asked why and they said they "ran out of whipped cream,"

All in all, it was a GREAT trip...and I would not hesitate to said on this class of ship again. Although, I would need to book AQ just for Blu.

A full review will be coming...

Thanks!

Thanks. I keep debating back-and-forth whether to get the drink package. I think that the only way that it would be worth it is if my wife and I had a few glasses of wine with dinner, which we enjoy but rarely order (if we had the package, we would order with all dinners.) We also plan on spending the full day in all 4 ports, so that would cut back on the drinking time.

Thanks for your thoughts...nice to know Blu is still Blu...we loved it in January too...so MUCH better a dining experience than the MDR and I've always enjoyed the MDR...it's just a couple notches better at Blu!! We'll go AQ on any Solstice class ship we sail that's for sure!

We leave on Sunday for the Western carib.. Staying in an Aqua-Class. Forward of the elevators, so no overhang on the balcony. Is it going to be really hot and uncomfortable out there? We would mostly use it on sea days and in the evenings on port days. We love using the balcony and are now concerned it will be too hot out there.

Thanks.

Thanks for the review.My wife and I are booked in Aqua class on the Nov 6,2011 sihloette sailin.Upon looking at the various fares for this cruise a Cat C-3 is $250pp cheaper.(12 night cruise).Need advice.We have sailed Celebrity over 30 times and have booked CC cabins before.What would you do?

Thanks,

Tom

We leave on Sunday for the Western carib.. Staying in an Aqua-Class. Forward of the elevators, so no overhang on the balcony. Is it going to be really hot and uncomfortable out there? We would mostly use it on sea days and in the evenings on port days. We love using the balcony and are now concerned it will be too hot out there.

Here's what we noticed: we couldn't leave the doors open because it was too humid. All glass surfaces in the stateroom would fog up if we kept the door open too long. Otherwise, we were out on the balcony quite a bit. Personally, I was concerned about the overhang...but again, the shade was welcome. It will be hot and humid - but not so much that you can't use the balcony.

Thanks for the review.My wife and I are booked in Aqua class on the Nov 6,2011 sihloette sailin.Upon looking at the various fares for this cruise a Cat C-3 is $250pp cheaper.(12 night cruise).Need advice.We have sailed Celebrity over 30 times and have booked CC cabins before.What would you do?

Since you're asking for my opinion, I would stick with AQ. But, $500 is a nice amount to save. For me, it would be worth it. Blu was THAT good (again...my opinion.) We never ate in alternative restaurants because we didn't feel the need. I can tell you, if Blu is an option on any future cruises, I wouldn't hesitate.

Thanks. I keep debating back-and-forth whether to get the drink package.

Trust me...I debated for a looooong time. 3 in my group got the package and only 1 ended up breaking even - and we all tried our hardest. You're going to do what you do...but I think very few meet the quota (unless it's a transatlantic with lots of time at sea.)

The biggest "plus" of the trip was Blu.

This is tough to do with cocktails...but we made up the difference with wine at dinner. (I was so excited that they had Nickel & Nickel by the glass!)

Thank you for posting this brief review and I look forward to seeing more. We are new to Celebrity and have tons of questions. Do you have a copy of the menu at Blu and what did you have to eat there?

What is Nickel and Nickel? I couldn't find anything on Google.

Thanks for whatever you can provide.

Hello everyone!

We were in AQ 1606 (with the large balcony) and had friends in 1602 / 1604/ and 1608. We opened up the balcony dividers and really enjoyed having all that space to ourselves. If you are interested in doing this, I would stay away from 1608, as they had the large support beam (this does not affect the balcony in any way) which made walking to the other balconies a little difficult. Otherwise, we were thrilled with the arrangements. By the way, we all agreed that the overhang was a welcome respit from the hot caribbean sun and "liquid sunshine" we encountered.

Thanks!

DH and I are in 1606 in Dec... I can't wait!!!! :D Thanks for the review, we're looking forward to Blu!! It's going to be a relaxing vacation for us so I can't see us taking part of many activities either. One question... how was the noise from above? I'm such a light sleeper. I don't understand why they have the more expensive staterooms below the main deck.

Cheers,

Thanks,

Tom

Blu is worth the $250 over a 12 night cruise I wouldn't switch.

Thanks. I keep debating back-and-forth whether to get the drink package. I think that the only way that it would be worth it is if my wife and I had a few glasses of wine with dinner, which we enjoy but rarely order (if we had the package, we would order with all dinners.) We also plan on spending the full day in all 4 ports, so that would cut back on the drinking time.

I easily drink 2 Martinis a day, 2 crown and ginger, a glass of wine at dinner, mineral water at dinner, 1-2 Latte a day perhaps some Mojitos so under 60.00 per day really worked for us.

I easily drink 2 Martinis a day, 2 crown and ginger, a glass of wine at dinner, mineral water at dinner, 1-2 Latte a day perhaps some Mojitos so under 60.00 per day really worked for us.

The package worked great for us as well. We had speciality coffees, bottled water, mineral water, drinks on the pool deck after excursions, martinis before dinner, wine with dinner, a drink at the show, plus soft drinks. It was so nice not to think twice about getting a drink because of the mental math that never goes away! :D

Also, the bar service we had on the Solstice was great. I think maybe there might have been with this sailing perhaps.

we also plan on trying martini flights and molecular drinks which are not covered by either plan.

This is not true. Martinis and molecular bar drinks ARE covered by the premium plan. It's one of the reasons we chose this level...as I too wanted to try the drinks. Service at these two bars were great each time we went by the way!

We are new to Celebrity and have tons of questions. Do you have a copy of the menu at Blu and what did you have to eat there?

What is Nickel and Nickel? I couldn't find anything on Google.

Fire away...I'll try and answer as many as I can for you. I don't have copies of the Blu menu...but I think I saw a link somewhere on here. Let me see if I can't find it for you. As for what we ate...well, it's a pretty extensive list. You would never look at the menu and think it's supposed to be a "healthy" dining venue. They just use herbs, stocks and other methods of pulling flavor out of the food rather than butter and cream. I had a terrific lamb shank the last night - I just wish I could have eaten the whole thing. :rolleyes: And Nickel & Nickel is a great winery (operated by the Nickel family who also produces Far Niente and Dolce.) It's a VERY nice wine and one I have never seen in a "by the glass" scenario.

DH and I are in 1606 in Dec... I can't wait!!!! :D Thanks for the review, we're looking forward to Blu!! It's going to be a relaxing vacation for us so I can't see us taking part of many activities either. One question... how was the noise from above? I'm such a light sleeper. I don't understand why they have the more expensive staterooms below the main deck.

Noise was not really a problem except for the two nights they held pool parties. There was a Latin Night and then an 80s night. There was no need to attend as it sounded like the band was in our cabin (okay, it wasn't THAT bad...but it was very noticable.) The parties started at 10:00pm and both nights ended early due to rain. The next morning the pool staff was at work extra early putting the deck chairs back. We're talking pre-5am.

The noise did not outweigh the large balcony and central location...so I wouldn't stress too much over it. Jose, the steward, was great too!

Archived