Travel Insurance & Cancel for Any Reason

PaulaW

Aside from HAL's travel protection policy, does anyone have any experience with outside insurance companies and their "cancel for any reason" policies?

I am tempted to purchase HAL's Platinum policy, but I am likely going to be booking my own airfare. Therefore, my cost of air will not be covered under HAL's policy, so I am looking at other insurance companies and their policies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have used TravelGuard in the past, but as a NY state resident, they do not offer "cancel for any reason."

Thanks!

I've used Travelex for several trips. They have a "Cancel for Any Reason" addition to a few of their plans. Depending on your age it could be cheaper than the HAL Platinum coverage, however it gives an 80% refund vs. 90% for HAL. Not sure for NY State what the coverage is.

I can tell you I filed two Travelex claims for a cruise a while back - one was for a hurt ankle that had to get x-rayed by ship doctor (~$400 in medical expenses) and also my husband lost a new watch he bought in St. Maarten ($250) - no problems getting reimbursed. My parents had a travel delay using them for a separate trip and they covered their dinner at the airport, even alcohol.

I always purchase independent insurance. This avoids conflict of interest and I can typically get the policy I want (ex: cancel for any reason).

I have used Steve from www.tripinsurancestore.com The prices are the same (or very close) as insure my trip and Steve is EXTREMELY knowledgable. He will answer all your questions and ask you some that you had never even thought of. I really like that I can talk to someone who can help me choose the right policy.

I actually had to make a claim on my last trip and STeve was right there to help me through the process. I highly recommend him.

Cheryl

I always purchase independent insurance. This avoids conflict of interest and I can typically get the policy I want (ex: cancel for any reason).

I have used Steve from www.tripinsurancestore.com The prices are the same (or very close) as insure my trip and Steve is EXTREMELY knowledgable. He will answer all your questions and ask you some that you had never even thought of. I really like that I can talk to someone who can help me choose the right policy.

I actually had to make a claim on my last trip and STeve was right there to help me through the process. I highly recommend him.

Cheryl

Yes indeed. An excellent site that goes into detail regarding the ins and outs of travel insurance along with side by side comparisons of the insurance companies.

I compared their costs with Squaremouth and Insuremytrip and they were identical.

Rich

Thank you all for your responses. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Ideally, I would like to purchase with a company where someone has had positive experience. When I spoke to my TA, she was hesitant to recommend some of the companies I had researched (TravelSafe and Travelex) because she had no experience.

Has anyone used Access America?

Thanks again!

Aside from HAL's travel protection policy, does anyone have any experience with outside insurance companies and their "cancel for any reason" policies?

I am tempted to purchase HAL's Platinum policy, but I am likely going to be booking my own airfare. Therefore, my cost of air will not be covered under HAL's policy, so I am looking at other insurance companies and their policies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have used TravelGuard in the past, but as a NY state resident, they do not offer "cancel for any reason."

Thanks!

Many times we have purchased a cruise long before flight schedules were out but purchased travel guard insurance within a week of cruise deposit. After finding a flight at a later date we called travel guard and added the cost of the air to the policy, for a fee of course. Also, some airlines sell travel insurance for your flight. Some things to consider.

Thanks!

I can assure you that our "for any reason" policy can involve a tale of unicorns and boogeymen and you'll get the 80% or 90% based on plan.

Other companies... you'll have to read their fine print

:) We are residents of New York State and as DH is self-employed - we always take the "cancel for any reason"

type of insurance. We have used Travel Safe in the past

and for our upcoming cruise iN Jan. 2011 - we are using

Access America. Being NYS residents and self-employed - we can get full

refund of our insurance premium if we need to cancel

prior to final payment due date. I also had some medical claims last Jan. '09 - which our health insurance

did not cover completely. Travel Safe came through with

the difference with no hassle. The www.insuremytrip.com is an excellant site for comparison.

:) We are residents of New York State and as DH is self-employed - we always take the "cancel for any reason"

type of insurance. We have used Travel Safe in the past

and for our upcoming cruise iN Jan. 2011 - we are using

Access America. Being NYS residents and self-employed - we can get full

refund of our insurance premium if we need to cancel

prior to final payment due date. I also had some medical claims last Jan. '09 - which our health insurance

did not cover completely. Travel Safe came through with

the difference with no hassle. The www.insuremytrip.com is an excellant site for comparison.

Thank you for your input. This really helps!

BTW, I grew up in Hamburg!

Thanks!

We are just taking a risk with our airfare. We are more concerned with Medivac and the bulk of our trip.

Paula - You asked about experiences with Access America. We have used them, but it wasn't with 'cancel for any reason' coverage. Last year we had to cancel a cruise before final payment, but after the cancellation penalty phase kicked in (it was a Grand Voyage). We filed a claim with them and, once DH's M.D. sent in the required paperwork, our claim was paid promptly and in full. We were happy.

We are just taking a risk with our airfare. We are more concerned with Medivac and the bulk of our trip.

:) Depending on which airlines you are using - you may be

able to get a "future flight credit". We had to cancel our

cruise for this past Jan. after I had already paid for our

AirTran tkts. Was able to transfer the money paid to tkts

we used in Feb for Florida trip. Plus, we always have the insurance start a day

or two prior to leaving our home and end a day or two after we return. This way

our domestic flights and hotel costs are covered, in case. Can't hurt to ask. ;)

Paula - You asked about experiences with Access America. We have used them, but it wasn't with 'cancel for any reason' coverage. Last year we had to cancel a cruise before final payment, but after the cancellation penalty phase kicked in (it was a Grand Voyage). We filed a claim with them and, once DH's M.D. sent in the required paperwork, our claim was paid promptly and in full. We were happy.

Thanks Mary Ellen for your input. I am looking at Access America to use their "Biz Pack" rider. I am concerned about work not allowing me to go and that benefit appears to fit the bill. I'm glad you had good experience-- that makes me feel better!

:cool: Wow - small world - where exactly ?? DH and I have lived here exclusively for over 65 years. Great village

and town. (NY state taxes are the WORST !!)

Yes, it is a small world. I grew up in the town, off of Bayview Rd. I graduated from Frontier Central. Absolutely love the area, but you're right-- the taxes are awful!!!

We have used Tru Travel for three cruises and although we have not had to file a claim, we did receive a premium refund when we had to cancel a cruise before the final payment. They offered to transfer the premium to our next cruise but since it was over a year out, they refunded our premium. I was very surprised and expected no refund. I will definitely use them again.

• 3 months later...

I don't know about cancelling for any reason, but I use Access America, and had to cancell due to illness a couple of years ago.

They required a letter from my doctor, but after that, the refund came back without a problem, and very quickly too.

Hope it helps

Thanks!

I would like to purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance only but do not need the transportation portion as I will not be flying. Any suggerstions?

I would like to purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance only but do not need the transportation portion as I will not be flying. Any suggerstions?

Hey Ya'll, before you think flat out, like I did until this morning, that you do not need the "Cancel for any Reason" portion(s) of insurance WE ALL should read this thread !!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1296162

This could happen to any ship and any passenger:eek:

Joanie

I can assure you that our "for any reason" policy can involve a tale of unicorns and boogeymen and you'll get the 80% or 90% based on plan.

Other companies... you'll have to read their fine print

I know it is easy! My teenage stepdaughter decided at 31 days out a few years ago that she did not want to go with us to Rome. We got 95% back on our credit card. This happened on a Sunday when we advised our TA. We did have a little problem with the 5% because the TA could not get in touch with HAL until Monday (or HAL could not process until Monday), but eventually could prove the decision was made at 31 days (not 30 days), and credit was put right back on my card.

We had purchased her flights with FFmiles (so could redeposit) but was told if air was purchased through HAL it would be reimbursed at 95% as well! No other policy offers this protection.

I can tell you that Celebrity's is 75% in a future Cruise credit and although Any Reason Berkely told me it is nothing like HAL's as you need to fill out a claim and they beed to wait for Celebrity to approve so they can reimburse (apparently the insurer takes the risk whereas with HAL, HAL is issueing the reimbursement). Plus with RCCL/Celebrity you only have a year (or two) to use this credit.

HAL's plan is awesome. The numbers do work better for older folks though because the policy is not based on age. The medical limit is low at 10K so it is also better for those with medical insurance that they can use out of the country. That limit has nothing to do with the Medivac or medical care while being evacuated.

Hi everyone,

Here are some important tips about getting a non-cruise line's plan that includes the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage.

1) The "Cancel For Any Reason" is just that - cancelling your entire trip. It's not "Delay For Any Reason" nor "Interrupt For Any Reason".

2) The deadlines to buy the "Cancel For Any Reason" upgrade are usually, but not always, the same deadline as the pre-existing conditions waiver & the financial default coverage.

3) You have to insure 100% of your expected prepaid trip costs that would be non-refundable if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute.

Note: you will void the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage if you only insure the amount you have at risk when you buy the insurance. Nor can you round your trip cost down to the next lowest bracket to save money.

4) Some plans require you to cancel your trip at least 48 hours prior to your departure. But others require you to cancel your trip at least 2 days prior to your departure.

Those deadlines may sound the same, but they are not. Here’s an example based on a Friday at 10:00 am departure date & time:

- A plan with the 48 hour rule requires you to cancel all your trip arrangements not later than 9:59 am of the previous Wednesday

- A plan with the 2 day rule requires you to cancel all your trip arrangements not later than 11:59 pm of the previous Wednesday

Trust me when I tell you I’ve seen many examples of where those extra hours have made a difference between someone having a covered claim or not.

Just because the insurance company takes your money, that's no guarantee you have the coverage. The key is following all the rules.

I hope this helps you better understand the "Cancel For Any Reason"coverage.

Steve Dasseos

Archived