Just off Regent Navigator with kids.

Baronent

Did you order room service? Comments? How many kids? Which stateroom(s)? What did you think about the food? Comment on the "vibration"? Did you find any good shopping? Where?

I would also like to know which excursions and your opinion.

Thanks!

What was the dress code for dinner - the brochure pics show evening dress but the web site says smart casual - please help

The web site is correct. Evening dress is worn by some but, not required even on the Formal Optional nites. Your cruise documents along with the daily dress descriptions on your itinerary page will confirm this.

I noticed when we were on board last month, that passengers tended to dress up more for the nights of the Captain's Reception (2nd night) and the Captain's Farewell (2nd to last night). Jackets are definitely not required - but, about 40% of the men wore them.

We did four excursions. Zip Line (DO IT), Crab Feast (so-so), Gold Mine tour (DO IT), and the Ocean Raft adventure....(We lucked out on this one as my wife and I were the only people to show up for our time. Strange as they were "overbooked".) Do the ocean raft adventure if you have a strong back. We were EXTRA lucky as we found a pod of Killer Whales! We sat with the pod for almost 40 minutes!

We packed a bit wrong. We thought we would be able to do some laundry on the ship as we had 2 small children with us. WRONG. Almost all the washers and dryers were being used, on all floors, at all times. When we did FINALLY have access, because we did not sit with the clothes, people rudely removed our wet clothes from the washer before they were finished and we had to start over. There were almost fights in those laundry rooms. Advice, stay away from washing clothes on the ship. Pack accordingly.

We were in #600. If you have kids, this is THE best cabin as far as I am concerned. Almost the size of 2 cabins. We had room service about 4 times a day as there are NO kids activity's for kids age 2. Room service food was decent, but most the time they "forgot" an item. We asked for a turkey burger that was not on the room service menu and we were denied, but overall, they are decent.

Do not bring kids on this cruise. We knew that going in, but wanted Alaska and wanted Regent. On almost every other line out there, there are activities for age 2 and up. At least a play area if no activities. This ship had a conference room with nothing in it. They did have some activities for "older" kids, but I strongly advise against bringing anyone under the age of 18 on this ship until they make some changes. $25/hour for babysitting IF they have someone available. The "free" excursions cost a lot for us... So did dinner every night. Any time we wanted "alone" time, $25/hour. But, we knew that going into it. So if you know and you are ok with that, go for it.

When you think about this ship, you think of it as small. Until you actually SEE it, you have no idea. WAY smaller than I thought it would be. The layout was great. VERY easy to get anywhere at anytime. Loved the small amount of guests as many times, we felt we were alone. A small ship= movement. This ship rocks and rolls. I read all about the "vibrations" on these boards. No idea what anyone is talking about and I am AMAZED I did not read about the actual ship MOVEMENT. UP AND DOWN, SIDE TO SIDE. I loved it, but my wife got a bit sick. Normally, on a larger ship, you do not feel that type of movement unless you are in a large storm.

Gym: Wow, now THIS place is small! Good luck joining any "classes" unless you sign up right away. And good luck getting an exercise machine unless you find the "quiet" times. They only had a few "bikes" and one of them was actually out of order. And 3 of them you can not use until 8am.

La Veranda was small, but not too small. It felt like a nice, relaxed space.

Dinners were amazing. Food was outstanding. Make sure to go to Prime 7 at least one night. Dress code was confusing to me. I had slacks to wear every night after 6pm. Did not realize I could wear Kaki's as many did. Should have brought some. Saw some kids wearing jeans after 6pm and sandals. No tux's. Most everyone wore nice upscale casual attire. I never wore a jacket.

One of the coolest things about the Alaska trip, other than being 5 feet from killer wales, was that it did not get dark until around 11pm. And even then, it was sort of twilight. Then the sun would come up at 3:30am. Never saw total darkness for a week. Loved that.

Baronent, you chose Regent knowing that your children were too young for the Club Mariner program and wanted to cruise Regent anyway. Given what you have written, I am not sure why as your review certainly lets the reader know that you were not OK with what you knew you were getting.

One thing that people can get from this review is that if they are looking for a cruise line to babysit children while they cruise/go on shore excursions, Regent is definitely not the cruise line.

Regent can work, and works well, for those people who are looking for a youth program for children over five. That being said, the children will still need to spend the majority of the time with the people who are taking them on the cruise. Hopefully, travel agents/cruise agents will convey this message to their clients.

Sounds like you quite enjoyed the cruise, except for the lack of facilities for children, which, as you said, you knew going in.

I also don't recommend Regent for people with children much at all, although I have heard that the Ambassador of the Environment programs are very good and well-run for mid-aged children.

Baronent, you chose Regent knowing that your children were too young for the Club Mariner program and wanted to cruise Regent anyway. Given what you have written, I am not sure why as your review certainly lets the reader know that you were not OK with what you knew you were getting.

One thing that people can get from this review is that if they are looking for a cruise line to babysit children while they cruise/go on shore excursions, Regent is definitely not the cruise line.

Regent can work, and works well, for those people who are looking for a youth program for children over five. That being said, the children will still need to spend the majority of the time with the people who are taking them on the cruise. Hopefully, travel agents/cruise agents will convey this message to their clients.

Maybe you should read it again. This cruise line, no matter how much you try to convince yourself, is not designed for kids. Ask your 14 year old or 18 year old if he would rather experience Regent or let's say a Celebrity line, my guess most will choose Celebrity, or even Carnival. Having been on many cruises as a "kid", I would say Carnival would be more fun. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Sounds like you quite enjoyed the cruise, except for the lack of facilities for children, which, as you said, you knew going in.

I also don't recommend Regent for people with children much at all, although I have heard that the Ambassador of the Environment programs are very good and well-run for mid-aged children.

YES Wendy, thank you. LOVED it.

Baronet, you are absolutely right. Regent isn't designed for kids. Never was and never will be. The large cruise ships are designed to include kids and Disney is designed for kids and their parents. There is no mystery about this whatsoever. So Regent's kids cruise almost free promotion is somewhat misleading. They DO accommodate kids to a certain extent. And some kids can have a marvelous time on board in spite to the lack of available kid's options. But bringing kids on a Regent cruise is pushing the envelope for many kids. Let the buyer beware. We would be hugely reluctant to book kids on a Regent cruise. Wouldn't say never. It would depend on the kids and the circumstances. But IMO most other cruise ships sailing in Alaska are more appropriate for kids than Regent. One can't have it all!

Baronet, I too, am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the cruise. The Navigator is a beautiful, small, ship. I've said what is being posted on this thread over and over. As a result, posters think I hate children. It's good to hear from parents that there are better cruise lines for children than Regent. Another recent poster felt that parents with children under the age of 6 should not even consider Regent. Perhaps sometime in the future, your parents/inlaws can watch the little one and you can try one of Regent's larger ships -- it can be very romantic (stay away from summers and school breaks;))

Baronent, I should have read your previous posts before replying. I did not realize that you were travelling with 2 year old twin boys. I am sure that you thought when you booked the cruise that you were going to have a different environment and services than the Navigator offers and/or that other services would be available if you were willing to pay for them. I think that it is really important that people booking a Regent cruise realize that this is not true. Your post will definitely help parents make an informed decision.

Like TC2 said, if you were to take a cruise on Regent without your children, I think you would find that the cruise line would be an excellent fit. You obviously enjoy good food, a small ship atmosphere and the active shore excursions.

I read on this thread that the Navigator has unusual movement " Up and down side to side". I also read that it has a flat bottom and vibrates. Is the movement on the Navigator more so than the other ships in the fleet ? We are concerned since we are about to book the Alaska cruise on Regent.

Maybe you should read it again. This cruise line, no matter how much you try to convince yourself, is not designed for kids. Ask your 14 year old or 18 year old if he would rather experience Regent or let's say a Celebrity line, my guess most will choose Celebrity, or even Carnival. Having been on many cruises as a "kid", I would say Carnival would be more fun. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Actually, my boys have sailed on both Celebrity and Regent (Regent many times) as teenagers, and they definitely prefer Regent. I wouldn't take a kid under about the age of 12 on Regent, but a teenager, esp if they are used to eating in nice restaurants and interacting with adults, will have a great time.

I read on this thread that the Navigator has unusual movement " Up and down side to side". I also read that it has a flat bottom and vibrates. Is the movement on the Navigator more so than the other ships in the fleet ? We are concerned since we are about to book the Alaska cruise on Regent.

The side to side movement is felt in the forward suites. The vibration is felt in the aft suites. The middle is just fine. Yes -- there is more movement on the Navigator than on the Mariner or Voyager (although there is an aft vibration on the Voyager). Ships are prone to these type of issues. Even Seabourn's new Odyssey has a vibration. As a general rule, select suites that are on the lower decks -- mid-ship. Also, Alaska waters are typically pretty calm.

We were on the same cruise as you! I'd agree it isn't the cruise of choice that I'd pick for a child under five. However, my daughter who is 7 had a blast. She says it is was her favorite of her nine cruises so far. The kid program was great!

Our kids spent a lot of time in the conference room, which was the kids club. They had a lot of fun. They were over 12. Maybe you could go as young as 10, but only if your kids are outgoing enough to mix it up in the kids club.

The ship rocked, sometimes quite a bit. The first day my niece was sick, and I was nauseous. After that we were fine.

Laundry.... get out your gloves! One lady sat down in the laundry room the whole time we were cruising Hubbard glacier.. and it was a beautiful day, the crew was even out taking photos! Finally we coerced her out of the room. I did get most of my laundry done, and no one was rude. It just took a lot of checking on the machines.

One thing people with kids should think about with Regent is that the excursions are not geared for little kids. So it is not just the ship, many excursions would either be boring or inappropriate for small children.

I did not think the food was outstanding. I thought the desserts were not very good at all, but they were pretty. Prime 7 was darn good though.

LaVeranda was never crowded when I was there.

We were also on this cruise.

I agree I would not have been happy if I had brought 2 yr old twins on this cruise.

However, my 7 and 5 year old boys had a great time. The 7 yr old spent a lot more time in kids club than the 5 yr old who prefers hanging with his parents and staying in his "room" and thoroughly enjoyed the BBC Planet Earth loop.

We selected excursions which were child friendly - Sitka Sea Otter excursion, Skagway WP&YR train in the am and gold panning in the pm, did our own thing in Juneau due to the Gold Mine tour being cancelled for lack of participants, private fishing excursion in Ketchikan.

When directly questioned regarding Regent versus Disney, both declared Regent the winner. Reasons included "the food" (much better on Regent), "the room" (enjoyed their own space in the Navigator suite), and their butler Trevor. They loved him and our chosen "regular" waiter, Alberto who understood how to pace a meal with (especially the 5 yr old) children.

As an aside, we parents were complemented several times both in Anchorage, post Grandview train, and on the cruise and excursions about our children's behavior. My children are in no way perfect but we actively manage their behavior and do not let them run amok and infringe upon other guests, unfortunately not something all parents did.

Archived