AB booking a HC cabin?

Oceanwench

The OP asks about the cabin but does not mention it is HC.

She just asks about the view and the shade ...

When that fact is brought up that it is a HC cabin [one of 23 on the ship, one of only two HC suites], she avoids justifying her question.

Interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226799

When that fact is brought up that it is a HC cabin [one of 23 on the ship, one of only two HC suites], she avoids justifying her question.

Interesting.

Unfortunately AB people will always continue to book HC cabins. That's just a fact. Though the insensity of AB persons booking HC cabins does greatly disappoint me, the OP does not have to justify to anyone why he/she is seeking the information. Nor are they required to disclose if they are disabled when asked by anyone on this forum . In fact for a person to even ask the OP if they are disabled might even be considered a violation of HIPAA Privacy Laws.

Interesting.

I commented on the thread...not that it'll do any good.. :(

I'm really getting worried! I never plan a vacation more than 6 months out. I've never had to book a HC cabin yet, because I am still fairly ambulatory, use a cane, etc., and have never needed one. But this next cruise, I am taking my collapsable wheelchair because it is become harder to walk. I still have booked a regular balcony room, knowing I'll be able to fold up my WC when I don't need it.

If all the AB people take the HC cabins, I guess cruising will end for me in the near future. And it is the one vacation that is the least stressful for me!

I'm really getting worried! I never plan a vacation more than 6 months out. I've never had to book a HC cabin yet, because I am still fairly ambulatory, use a cane, etc., and have never needed one. But this next cruise, I am taking my collapsable wheelchair because it is become harder to walk. I still have booked a regular balcony room, knowing I'll be able to fold up my WC when I don't need it.

If all the AB people take the HC cabins, I guess cruising will end for me in the near future. And it is the one vacation that is the least stressful for me!

Well, you could always do what most of the rest of us, who need an accessible cabin, do: plan a year out, get cruise insurance, and hope for the best.

You know there are very few HC cabins...so you have to plan accordingly.

Unfortunately AB people will always continue to book HC cabins. That's just a fact. Though the insensity of AB persons booking HC cabins does greatly disappoint me, the OP does not have to justify to anyone why he/she is seeking the information. Nor are they required to disclose if they are disabled when asked by anyone on this forum . In fact for a person to even ask the OP if they are disabled might even be considered a violation of HIPAA Privacy Laws.

ICAM. What if it was her husband that needed the HC cabin? Or a sibling/parent. If i were her, i wouldn't think it would be my place to talk about someone else's issues but my own on the public board. From her comments (the fact she's read about the HC amenities on the HAL website and the fact she's mentioned that she deserves one, albeit the wrong word to use) it appears she does indeed need one. But i don't feel that she should have HAD to say even that.

Yes, there are alot of people who are perfectly capable of using a regular cabin who choose to use an HC one. And unfortunately it's become commonplace. If she doesn't need the amenities of the HC cabin, then that is something *she* will have to live with. I just don't think it was necessarily right to demand she fess up and prove it before she received any help. Yes, most people are open about their disabilities, but some are not. They shouldn't be shamed into revealing what their disability is or even that they are disabled in the first place. What kind of message does that send?

I've gotten grief on here (won't mention his name) from someone who accused me of not needing the HC cabin on this particular ship. Even after explaining myself and why i needed one, while still trying to maintain some dignity, he basically called me a liar and that he suggested i really wanted it just for the extra room. It wasn't until, in my frustration and humiliation, that i described for him in detail just WHY i HAD to use the amenities in the HC cabin as opposed to the rest of the cabins on the entire cruise ship. Only then did he back off. I shouldn't have had to say anything. i was embarassed, humiliated and mortified.

I get the jaded knee-jerk reactions on CC because of the past history of ABs booking the HC when they can perfectly well use the regular cabins. I really do get it. But at the same time, i don't agree with the ganging up, demanding, guilting, accusing and overall bullying of those who even dare to mention booking an HC cabin without fully revealing their disabilities from the get go.

Everyone is more than aware the HC cabins are a rare commodity. Everyone is more than aware that it is morally wrong to book an HC cabin if you don't absolutely need it. I just think time is better spent assuming they need an HC cabin and helping them than trying to pass judgement on them. I live with people judging me all the time, as i assume all of you do as well. It is not a fun feeling. That is why i try my hardest to be as sensitive to someone's needs as possible. I don't want to become just like the people who treat me like crap.

Everyone is more than aware the HC cabins are a rare commodity. Everyone is more than aware that it is morally wrong to book an HC cabin if you don't absolutely need it. I just think time is better spent assuming they need an HC cabin and helping them than trying to pass judgement on them. I live with people judging me all the time, as i assume all of you do as well. It is not a fun feeling. That is why i try my hardest to be as sensitive to someone's needs as possible. I don't want to become just like the people who treat me like crap.

No, everyone is NOT "more than aware that the HC cabins are a rare commodity". No, everyone is NOT "more than aware that it is wrong to book an HC cabin if you don't absolutely need it". If either of these statements were true, then people WOULD NOT BOOK THE HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE CABINS UNLESS THEY NEEDED THEM, FOR THEMSELVES OR OTHERS IN THEIR PARTY.

If they WERE aware, and WERE aware it is morally wrong..they wouldn't DO it. Or they have no morals. Or are totally insensitive.

Again, she was NOT asked to describe in detail her disability. She was ONLY asked if indeed she NEEDED a handicap accessible cabin, or if she simply felt she "deserved" it. Which, if she were truly handicapped..or had someone in her family who was handicapped...would likely not use that sort of pity language.

And I stand by my last statement there: We don't WORRY about whether a cabin has an "obstructed view" or not..we're just glad that when we go to book, there is a handicap-accessible cabin available.

There are WAY too many people on this site who think it quite the accomplishment to book an HC cabin that don't need it, to be "sympathetic" to anyone who simply books without thinking, or without caring.

In fact for a person to even ask the OP if they are disabled might even be considered a violation of HIPAA Privacy Laws.

This has nothing to do with HIPAA. That's for doctors and insurance providers and such. Has nothing to do with a cruise or an Internet forum.

A cruiseline (and any other business) can ask if a person is disabled. They cannot ask what the disability is (i.e. the name of it). They can ask what accommodations a person needs.

The general public can ask anything they darn well please of anybody. The askee doesn't have to give the asker the time of day, of course. Some ppl ask rude questions (like, "What's wrong with you?") and some ppl don't understand that just because a person is disabled doesn't mean their health status should be public knowledge. (I bet if you turned the question around on those ppl, they wouldn't want to share their medical history! ;))

Back to the topic, I wish cruiselines would do something to stop ppl who don't need HC cabins from booking them! (I don't know if the person in the linked thread needs it or not and I didn't read that thread, so this statement is not about them.)

I have to agree that no everyone understands that HC cabins should be for those who really need them. About a month ago, I saw a travel article posted several places (Yahoo, Reader's Digest, local newspaper) with tips for getting a better room. One of them was to book a handicapped one to get more space for the same price. I was livid when I read that.

I saw a thread on the Royal Caribbean board about 3 weeks ago where a woman was posting about how unfair it was that she had to crowd her family of 4 into a tiny balcony cabin when the "gimps" (her word, NOT mine!) could get one twice as big for the same price. Fortunately, that thread got pulled very quickly. There are postings at least once a month from people who are either wanting to book the HC cabins for space or have booked one and want to know whether the HC accessories will interfere with their space.

When I take my mom on a cruise, she has never asked me about the view in the cabin or whether the balcony is shady. She is usually just excited to be going on a cruise - doesn't care about type of cabin as long as she can get around. I'm pickier than she is - balcony only for me! For our first cruise, I asked questions about door width, bathroom bars, shower seats, space around the bed, etc. We've become comfortable with the Royal Caribbean HC cabin layouts so now my questions are about accessibility in the ports and what to do.

I felt so blessed to be able to get a HC cabin for our upcoming B2B cruise on the Solstice. I am taking my mom on her first cruise for her 70th birthday! If one was not available she would not of been able to go. My ta even got us the same cabin for both weeks. I only booked two months ago for our cruise in Oct. I was most concernd that she would have enough room for her scooter and her walker. I am not that thrilled with the location of the cabin, but I have nothing to complain about. I am just thrilled to be taking my mom on a once in a lifetime cruise with me;)

I will tell you what happend to her in hopes of helping someone else who does not know what may be wrong with them.

My mom became disabled from using denture cream. It has only been 1 1/2 years since she was diagnosed. She is unable to walk alone and it also has affected her hands. She had to much zinc in her body that caused her to have no copper in her body.

So yes she does need a HC cabin

Carrie:D

I saw a thread on the Royal Caribbean board about 3 weeks ago where a woman was posting about how unfair it was that she had to crowd her family of 4 into a tiny balcony cabin when the "gimps" (her word, NOT mine!) could get one twice as big for the same price. Fortunately, that thread got pulled very quickly.

Nobody forced her to put four ppl in one cabin; that was her own choice. She could've paid for two cabins if she wanted to. She may have had to sail a later date or drop some excursions so she could afford it, but nobody forced her to sleep four to a cabin.

And most HC cabins only sleep two, not four, right? So, she needs to feel blessed that she can cruise paying for just one cabin, whereas if she needed an HC cabin, she would HAVE to pay for two cabins!

My mom became disabled from using denture cream. It has only been 1 1/2 years since she was diagnosed. She is unable to walk alone and it also has affected her hands. She had to much zinc in her body that caused her to have no copper in her body.

:eek: Oh my! How terrible!! I've never heard of that happening before, but it definitely is not good!

:eek: Oh my! How terrible!! I've never heard of that happening before, but it definitely is not good!

One of the TV news programs (I can't remember which one, unfortunately) had a segment on this within the past week. Pretty shocking information. Bottom line is that the recommendation is for people to stop using the products in question because this is apparently becoming something of an epidemic.

Nobody forced her to put four ppl in one cabin; that was her own choice. She could've paid for two cabins if she wanted to. She may have had to sail a later date or drop some excursions so she could afford it, but nobody forced her to sleep four to a cabin.

And most HC cabins only sleep two, not four, right? So, she needs to feel blessed that she can cruise paying for just one cabin, whereas if she needed an HC cabin, she would HAVE to pay for two cabins!

It was the usual uninformed, whiney post. She wanted a balcony cabin but has 2 kids so didn't want them in a cabin alone. The deck plans show that the HC balcony cabins on Serenade are about twice as big as the standard ones, which is true. She just couldn't understand why the HC cabins were so much bigger but only for 2 people. She thought it wasn't fair. :( :rolleyes: I really want to bash people like that but managed to refrain from commenting. When I checked a couple hours later, that thread had been pulled so I assume it got ugly. I was happy to see it was gone!

People who aren't close to someone who uses a wheelchair/scooter just don't seem to realize the amount of space that is needed just to turn-around. It's not like people in wheelchairs want the extra space to feel special - it's a necessity.

One of the TV news programs (I can't remember which one, unfortunately) had a segment on this within the past week. Pretty shocking information. Bottom line is that the recommendation is for people to stop using the products in question because this is apparently becoming something of an epidemic.

Yikes!!! That's not good!! :( I hope it gets out in the news more so more ppl can hear it and stop using said brands!

People who aren't close to someone who uses a wheelchair/scooter just don't seem to realize the amount of space that is needed just to turn-around. It's not like people in wheelchairs want the extra space to feel special - it's a necessity.

But once the reason is explained to them one time, they should understand it and think it is great that everybody has a chance to cruise. Nope, these are the ppl who just really don't care, you could explain the world away and they still wouldn't care about anything but themselves. :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, how would someone who needs a HC cabin go about obtaining one, if there were no longer any available in the preferred category? My inlaws have decided late in the game to go with us on our cruise in september. they want an inside, but when i called to book, we were told none of the remaining inside cabins were HC. i booked them into a room right by the elevators, and her scooter should fit, but i would feel better if the handrails and such were available.

Out of curiosity, how would someone who needs a HC cabin go about obtaining one, if there were no longer any available in the preferred category? My inlaws have decided late in the game to go with us on our cruise in september. they want an inside, but when i called to book, we were told none of the remaining inside cabins were HC. i booked them into a room right by the elevators, and her scooter should fit, but i would feel better if the handrails and such were available.

Is the room that you booked an HC cabin? If so, then there will be handrails and other accessible features in the bathroom and cabin. If it is NOT an HC cabin...then there won't be.

And if it is not an HC cabin..unless you know EXACTLY the door opening space (including the swing-back of the door), there's no way to be certain her scooter will fit through the door..and if it by chance DID fit through the door, she'd not be able to use it inside the cabin, and it would block the doorway. She would not be able to leave it outside the cabin, either.

There are not HC cabins available in every category. There are only a relative handful of HC cabins available on any ship -- more on the newer ships, but still, very few. If the cruise line knows you NEED such a cabin, they may be willing to flag your reservation, and if there is a cancellation, then move you into it..but otherwise, the only way to guarantee booking an HC cabin is to do it months in advance.

Is the room that you booked an HC cabin? If so, then there will be handrails and other accessible features in the bathroom and cabin. If it is NOT an HC cabin...then there won't be.

no, the room i booked is not HC. which is why i am worried about her not having the handrails. the person i spoke with said that a 21 inch scooter would fit through the door of this cabin, however.

no, the room i booked is not HC. which is why i am worried about her not having the handrails. the person i spoke with said that a 21 inch scooter would fit through the door of this cabin, however.

Since you didn't book an HC cabin , all you can do at this point is call the TA or cruiseline and request to be wait listed for an inside HC cabin. Even being waitlisted doesn't mean you'll get it.

In general the 21" scooter will probably fit through most standard cabin doors. Might have to take the arm rests off to be certain. The real problem becomes in manuvering the scooter in and out of the cabin. There will be little to no room to turn it around in the cabin , partcularly if the beds are pushed together to make 1 queen bed.

Note that there is a step up into the bathroom in a standard cabin. Is she able to do 1 step ? If she needs to be seated in the shower you can contact the Special Needs Department to request a shower tool for her safety.

I personally never trust the word of the sales person on the other end of the phone. They're charged with selling the cabin, not really knowing anything about it except the number on the door. You should talk to the special needs department of the cruise line and ask..and not trust them, either.

You can request a shower chair, and sometimes a raised toilet seat..but otherwise, no there won't be any accessible features to the cabin.

If she has problems with bathing, and cannot stand in or step into a shower, she will have huge problems. The non HC cabins do not have grab bars next to the toilet nor do they have the bars in the shower. And, most of the showers have a step up or a higher lip to step over to get into the shower. Not only that, but she will have at least a 6 inch step up into the bathroom.

Guys, what I find interesting with the thread by tinkerme1 is that my post to her was removed. I didn't get nasty, but merely pointed out that the hassle she's getting is because she won't disclose why she feels she deserved the cabin. And I also pointed out that I'm not afraid to disclose my physical reasons for needing an HC cabin. I wonder why it was removed from the thread?

I personally never trust the word of the sales person on the other end of the phone. They're charged with selling the cabin, not really knowing anything about it except the number on the door. You should talk to the special needs department of the cruise line and ask..and not trust them, either.

You can request a shower chair, and sometimes a raised toilet seat..but otherwise, no there won't be any accessible features to the cabin.

i did speak with special needs, that's where the info i have is coming from. he's already requested a shower seat. i had forgotten about the step up to the bath, though. :(

Personally, I do not want an HC cabin if I did not need it.

Ethically, I will never stay in one until I absolutely have to. There will always be someone out there who needs it more than me and I want them to have it.

My mother requires a great deal of assistance when we travel. I know the gripy type who whines about why she gets to board a plane first or gets a "beep beep cart" through the airport, but if they had to live with her pain and fatigue, they would understand.:(

Archived