Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

Terry, and you didn't even know we had lunch at that sidewalk cafe that you photographed!! I am so glad you are having such a good trip on the Cloud. His pix of the Galley Brunch are ready to be loaded...prepare yourselves to be hungry!

Duct tape warned you!!!! Do NOT look at more of this post unless you want to have your mouth water and your body craving great food and seeking dining delights. Don’t think we haven’t given you fair caution.

After three days of the spectacular fjords, a charming Alesund town and nearby great country/island sights and then historic Trondheim, we have a sea day for needed rest and relaxation. The seas are more choppy and the boat is rocking some, but are going to get into our port of Leknes on the Lofoton Islands at 8:30 pm tonight, not the planned 8 am the next day. He sped up the ship to better deal with the weather conditions in this large open-sea area.

We had an excellent 10 am presentation by Niki Sepsas on glaciers and fjords of Norway, plus info on the gulf stream impacts on this region. Niki has an excellent manner about him and does such a great job with his graphics, photos and details. He’s a real plus for this trip and he’s very approachable in discussing added questions.

Then at noon, it is the Galley Lunch. I got a little preview of the desserts and walking through the galley to see the set-up and options. It was wonderful. Actually, to be honest, it was better than words can describe. That’s why there are pictures below, plus more in another posting. Seeing is believing, but tasting is even better.

Tonight we will have our first experience with La Terrazza and those Italian dinner joys. From others who have been there in the past few days, this evening experience is getting rave reviews. We will share more tomorrow.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The morning presentation on glaciers and fjords was done by Niki Sepsas with his excellent graphics and visuals.:

CloudNikiOnGlaciers.jpg

Before the start of the buffet lunch in the galley area, Chef Douglas Hope poses in front a small sampling the treats in the serving area in the main kitchen. Having the buffet in the galley allows a behind-the-scene viewing of this large area where all of the work happens to prepare the many foods, do the dishes, etc.

CloudBuffetChefHope.jpg

Here are a few of the treats in this galley area for breads, the carved fish and beef, etc.:

CloudBuffetBrreads.jpg

In the galley area right before opening the buffet, here is Restaurant Manager Jorge Caeiro and Cruise Director Jimmy Kovel. Both are very hard-working and responsive to questions and cruiser needs. They know it’s about service!:

CloudBuffetJorgeCD.jpg

Three different types of caviar are offered at this lunch buffet.:

CloudBuffetsCaviers.jpg

Here is just one sampling of the three different tables with various dessert treats. This one picture is worth about one thousand fork-fulls. We have been told these delights are all low-cal, right?:

CloudBuffetDessertsOne.jpg

Here is a second group of pictures from the noon Gallery Buffet Lunch. Then, I will be posting more to show what some of the options are for activities on a sea day on the Silver Cloud. This will help preview things for those who have not been on the Silver Cloud and/or bring back memories for those who have sailed on this first ship of the Silversea line.

On the question from Meow!, my understanding is that several statues were missing heads due either due to damage during certain religious battles or the stress of time. This Cathedral was hugely neglected for many, many years and fell into a sad condition with much damage from weather and neglect. It was restored in the late 1800’s. The Cathedral was originally built as a Catholic site and then things changed during the Protestant Reformation. I am sure there were significant “battles” as those “difference” were resolved in this country that is now mostly Lutheran as its state religion.

THANKS for the other comments! Let me know your reactions and requests for an added special pictures, etc.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In the buffet area, here is the display of the various wines offered today at lunch.:

CloudBuffetWines.jpg

Two different whole pigs were prepared for this buffet and the carving was done by the Executive Assistant Chef.:

CloudBuffetPigWhole.jpg

Here’s another sampling of the special dessert treats for this Galley Lunch Buffet.:

CloudBuffetDessertsTwo.jpg

Here is Hotel Manager Gianni Dotti (left) with passenger Sharon Feldman and Hotel Director Jimmy Kovel on the steps of the main staircase of the Silver Cloud.:

CloudTopStaff.jpg

This buffet also had a pasta station in addition to ALL that was in the galley with so many, many selections. We passed on pasta here as we would be dining in La Terrazza tonight.:

CloudBuffetPastaStation.jpg

There is live music by this quartet for the enjoyment of guest experiencing this noon buffet.:

CloudBuffetLiveMusic.jpg

Here is the next group of pictures to show what some of the options are for activities on a sea day on the Silver Cloud. In addition to what you are seeing, there are also many places for reading, napping, watching the water, etc. By now, our fifth full day on the ship, we are getting a good, comfortable feel for the many locations, its offerings and features, the personnel, etc. Right now, I’m in the Panorama Lounge on the top, back of the ship. It’s a great place to relax and see the water. The staff and service, plus food, have all been super excellent. I have been told that some of the top ship personnel do follow the various postings on these Cruise Critic boards.

This morning, I had a chance to talk more with Hotel Manager Gianni Dotti and Cruise Director Jimmy Kovel. As you watched them in action, you could see that they are both focused on details and adjusting schedules and offerings to serve what works for those on each separate cruise. It’s impressive to see how they put it all together, fine-tune schedules, motivate other staff, deal with questions, etc.

For this sea day on the Silver Cloud, there were many options, including lounging on the pool deck. The temperatures were upper 50’s, requiring a blanket, but still working well to be outside in this sheltered area for reading and relaxing as we sailed the Norwegian Sea towards the Lofoten Islands.:

CloudPoolDeckLounging.jpg

The Spa is popular on a sea day and here our friend, Janet, is treated like a “QUEEN”, loving it so very much!:

CloudSpaTreatment.jpg

Among the physical activities are ping pong on the deck near the pool on the Silver Cloud.:

CloudPingPong.jpg

Here is activity in the Bridge Room of the Silver Cloud. It is popular option with many passengers on these ships.:

CloudBridgeRoom.jpg

Carl Vlaeminch is the on-ship cruise consultant and is discussing future booking option with two passengers. We had dinner with Carl and he is super charming with great stories from his many years working cruise ships. I would love to share these true stories, but I was sworn to secrecy.:

CloudCarlBookings.jpg

Here is the final group of pictures to show what some of the many options for activities on a sea day are on the Silver Cloud. Hope this is not too many pictures, but as first-timers, I am sure there are other “inquiring minds” who had wondered what these places looked like prior to starting their cruise. Seeing is believing.

Here is the computer/Internet area on the Silver Cloud. Many have brough along wireless equipment and do need to use this room. We have had very good web connections from the ship and wireless works well all over the ship.:

CloudInternetArea.jpg

The pool deck bar offers a wide range of drinks and options, plus a wide-screen TV and some nice art reflecting the Italian heritage of the Silver Cloud ownership.:

CloudPoolDeckBar.jpg

Yes, there’s shuffle board as an option on a sea day.:

CloudShuffleBoard.jpg

Great to see caviar displayed again! Haven't seen that in the last couple of years. Am enjoying your wonderful photos and descriptions, Terry, but how do you find the time? You certainly win the prize for providing the very best vicarious cruise!

Dieter

Just returned from our SeaDream cruise, and was not happy with it...can read my review in Member section.But, this ship looks great and more up to the standard I had expected...was going to book a Norway cruise on SeaDream but will have to research more ships for future cruises...

I m so glad you are having a great time.Love the photos, as always,you were kind enough to share your Rodin garden pics, I had told you I spent all my time shooting Rodin statues feet,,,,since hubby is foot dr...remember? Then we shared insurance problems due to volcano....which was a great help,,,,I got it, and thankfully didnt need it....:):)

Wow, do I feel cheated! Got off the Cloud on May 14 - our galley brunch did NOT have caviar, did NOT have roast pig, did NOT have desserts that looked like that.

I wonder why the difference?

Wow, do I feel cheated! Got off the Cloud on May 14 - our galley brunch did NOT have caviar, did NOT have roast pig, did NOT have desserts that looked like that.

I wonder why the difference?

I wonder why the inconsistency? Is this current cruise special in some way??

Terry; Thanks for all the great postings and pictures. I know the Wind is a different ship, but following your postings has really heightened our enthusiasm for our 3/12-4/9 2011 Wind trip from Capetown-Lisbon.

wcc19 & Cruzemaven, Couldn't agree with you more. We took this cruise in Silver Wind and loved it. WE, however, did not have a galley lunch; nor did we ever spot a spoon of caviar. This was only 4 years ago. In addition we had Sr Lefebrve aboard. Wonder why there appears to be a special cruise v what the rest of us get. We are going on Silver Whisper in Dec to South America; what a treat it would be to receive this special treatment. Silversea I know you read these posts!!!

On the question from Meow!, my understanding is that several statues were missing heads due either due to damage during certain religious battles or the stress of time. This Cathedral was hugely neglected for many, many years and fell into a sad condition with much damage from weather and neglect. It was restored in the late 1800’s
Thank you kindly. Caviar .. free caviar .. mm .. meow!

Terry - first of all, thank you for the wonderful information and beautiful pictures. I last took a Norwegian cruise in 1960 on the Stella Polaris. Your thread has inspired me to take another one!

Ricardo Dotti was the chef on the Silver Shadow last fall and this past February on the cruise to Tahiti. He is a very nice man and a super chef! I didn't realize that he was getting married. I wish him and his fiancee a happy life together.

I look forward to more photos and commentary. Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to share with us.

I was also on that cruise a few weeks ago and yes, the caviar was there. I do not think there is anything "special" being done on this cruise, just a great bunch of folks and crew getting along very well.

Good to know that this was not a special situation and that we can expect caviar on our cruise next week as well.

THANKS for added nice comments and questions!

For Keith, at that Galley Lunch Buffet, we had a range of things. Love the shrimp. They had a nice lobster, seafood and potatoes dish, some chicken curry, etc., etc. Had to save some serious room for the various dessert samplings. You could cut your own desserts, allowing me to have more smaller pieces and a much wider sampling.

Liked the notes by Wellseasoned, alexandra cruiser, dougburns, Emtbsam and Decebal. It’s nice to be called “the very best vicarious cruise!”.

For LauraBK, no, there was nothing special done as we crossed the Arctic Circle. Just did it and when we go back south across that point on July 12, at 66.5619° N Latitude, I would expect the same.

For wcc19, Cruzemaven and Wellseasoned, I don’t know that we had anything “special” or different than other Silversea cruises. Or, any “inconsistency”. This is what had and the visuals show. This is our first cruise on Silversea after sailing Seabourn and Crystal. Others can judge better. Being on a 15-day cruise is a little different than on one of only seven days. I think Chef Douglas Hope does a great job and you can see how the Hotel Director and Jorge “pushing” the staff in a good way to make everyone’s experience the best.

Agree strongly with duct tape’s wise and accurate comment of “just a great bunch of folks and crew getting along very well.”

We had a super great day in the Lofoten Islands today. We had earlier arranged a rental car for our group of four, had boxed lunches from the ship and headed south to a small fishing village at the end of the E10 roadway. Lots of tunnels, bridges, scenic towns, fish hanging on drying racks, etc.

Last night we had a super great first dinner at La Terrazza as the ship was sailing in to dock at Leknes in these Lofoten Island off of the Norway Coast above the Arctic Circle.

Right now I’m in the Panorama Lounge, battling the bright sun as we head north to Tromso. The day started out a little iffy and cloudy, but turned out so wonderfully super sunny. No rain! It’s around 60F and has turned into a perfect day, especially for so far north in the world. And, we are hearing about parts of the USA suffering with harsh heat. Glad we are here!!!

More pictures will be coming on that first night in the Italian specialty place, plus these spectacular Lofoten Islands. I just got interrupted from this writing as an amazing coastal mountain formation was passing by and I needed to jump up and grab a quick picture.

How do you quickly describe what we saw today? Take the best of the green Irish western coast times two, add in a little of the rocky California coast and put on the frosting of a charming Maine fishing village. It was super wonderful. When you see the pictures, you will understand why I am describing things this way.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Edited by TLCOhio