What info is put on our cabin door?

mexico5

Just wondering what, if anything, is placed on our cabin door? On Princess the passengers names were put on and half the people liked it and half didn't like people knowing their full names. Some actually liked it so they remembered where "they lived"!

On NCL there was nothing. I thought I saw a photo of a HAL cruise and it had the name of a place (?Wisconsin maybe) on the door. I am not sure if the passenger put it on herself or if they put where you are from on the door, which would be kind of neat.

Just curious...

There is nothing on your door on HAL ships. You can put something on it to make it easier for you to zero in on your room upon returning from dinner etc or if you had too many Wang Wang's with Copper John! I think some groups have put something on their doors so they can find each other. We put a Cruise Critic magnet on our door frane but it disappeared. It was up high enough that young kids (and maybe some stewards!) could not have reached it. :)

eurodam and westerdam there is nothing on the door but the door number. next to the door is a little clear plastic bin on the wall for the daily info to be placed by the crew. I've seen people hang stuff on their door to ID which room is theirs. Don't know the ship rules on what you can or cannot put on your own door. I definitely would NOT like my name on the door.

We didn't care for our names being on the door either so we took them off. It's like at Safeway where they say thank you so and so (full name) and there is some weirdo standing behind you at the checkout:eek:

Are the cabin doors on the Ryndam metal or wood? I am making some door signs and need to find out if I need magnets or removable tape. Thanks, Charlie
We haven't been on the Ryndam, but on the HAL ships that we have been on our Cruise Critic refrigerator magnet would not stick to the doors. I think if you have a strong magnet holding up something light weight it might work, but bring some removable tape just in case.

Magnets will stick easily to the door frames.

LAST time we sailed on Princess, which is probably the last time we'll sail Princess, they had our Cabin Number on our room key. WHAT????!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. Do they still do that?

If HAL (or any hotel or cruise line) were to put our names on our door, I would quickly remove it.

It is inappropriate and a violation of a guest's privacy and security IMO

I have never known HAL to do that.

LAST time we sailed on Princess, which is probably the last time we'll sail Princess, they had our Cabin Number on our room key. WHAT????!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. Do they still do that?

No, they don't...and I don't recall them ever doing that. I just started sailing with them maybe out 5 years ago so maybe they did it before then.

If HAL (or any hotel or cruise line) were to put our names on our door, I would quickly remove it.

It is inappropriate and a violation of a guest's privacy and security IMO

I have never known HAL to do that.

Agreed -- also, both Celebrity and Princess had names at cabin doors - which is not a great idea.

Agreed -- also, both Celebrity and Princess had names at cabin doors - which is not a great idea.

Can you tell me why? I don't see it as a big issue so I'm wondering why so many people are offended. On my Princess cruises I've seen very few names removed so it seems to be a bigger issue on this board.

If I want someone to know my cabin number, I'll tell them.

There are some people I'd prefer to not even know I'm on the ship let alone which cabin we are occupying.

Need to know....... and no other guest has a need to know another guest's cabin number unless the numbers are freely exchanged.

HAL has always protected guests' privacy and no reason to think they will not continue to do so.

Seems to me in this day and age it isn't such a hard thing to figure out people want whatever privacy they can grasp.

Anyone who wishes can put their name on their mail box.

If I want someone to know my cabin number, I'll tell them.

There are some people I'd prefer to not even know I'm on the ship let alone which cabin we are occupying.

Need to know....... and no other guest has a need to know another guest's cabin number unless the numbers are freely exchanged.

HAL has always protected guests' privacy and no reason to think they will not continue to do so.

Seems to me in this day and age it isn't such a hard thing to figure out people want whatever privacy they can grasp.

Anyone who wishes can put their name on their mail box.

Ok...thx for the explanation. For me...I don't find it to be a big issue. I don't randomly walk down the hallways wondering where Mr. and Mrs. Smith's cabin is. I've got more important and interesting things to do. It doesn't list your credit card or home address so I don't see that as an issue....but that's me. If it bothers people so be it. I think you can find more out about a person over the internet. I was surprised when I put my name in google and it was tied to the company I work at. Now that is scary IMO.

For the record, my cruise in February on the Century did NOT have our names on the door. And if it did, it would have been gone at warp speed.

I for one would not like my name on the cabin door -- that is just me. And I would remove it.

But years ago when we sailed on Cunard -- can't remember if it was the Cunard Countess or the Cunard Princess -- there was a stand in the lobby that had the passenger names and cabin numbers on it.

Decades ago on Royal Viking Line, we received directories listing all the passengers and home towns - no cabin numbers. It was interesting to see the places all over the world for the other passengers.

We would NOT want names on our cabin door. For our next cruise another passenger wanted to include surnames on name tags for the M&G. That was a 'no, thank you' from us.

I for one would not like my name on the cabin door -- that is just me. And I would remove it.

But years ago when we sailed on Cunard -- can't remember if it was the Cunard Countess or the Cunard Princess -- there was a stand in the lobby that had the passenger names and cabin numbers on it.

I respect the right to anyone removing their name from the door but to have a stand in the lobby with names and cabin numbers I wouldn't like. That's too much information in one place. A couple of years ago I met a couple when I got on the ship. I wasn't interested in striking more of a friendship with them but they knew my first name. They went down to the front desk with that info and they the front desk looked for someone with my name. Since my first name is somewhat unique they found me pretty quickly. HAL showed my picture to them and gave them my cabin #. I assume they were trying to be helpful but I didn't really appreciate it.

HAL showed my picture to them and gave them my cabin #.
When we were on the Statendam three years ago I asked for the cabin number of a couple whose first and last names I knew, and they wouldn't tell me. Instead they connected the phone at the desk to their cabin, and they gave me the number themselves. I think this is the right way do it today.

we travel with small children and there are too many weirdos out there. no way I want them knowing where our children is located. not that we would ever be without our children but weirdos are weirdos. I like to think that everyone is nice and friendly but I have to keep my mommy antenna up. this will always be until I'm dead and gone. If I want you to know my name, I will tell you. No need for advertising.

JTL that is the correct way to do it...just like hotels do.

It might have been okay to have names, etc...bad in the old days but now with the internet we are all one click away from knowing way too much about someone and all we need is a name on a door to get started...

When we were on the Statendam three years ago I asked for the cabin number of a couple whose first and last names I knew, and they wouldn't tell me. Instead they connected the phone at the desk to their cabin, and they gave me the number themselves. I think this is the right way do it today.

I agree...that would have been better.

I respect the right to anyone removing their name from the door but to have a stand in the lobby with names and cabin numbers I wouldn't like. That's too much information in one place. A couple of years ago I met a couple when I got on the ship. I wasn't interested in striking more of a friendship with them but they knew my first name. They went down to the front desk with that info and they the front desk looked for someone with my name. Since my first name is somewhat unique they found me pretty quickly. HAL showed my picture to them and gave them my cabin #. I assume they were trying to be helpful but I didn't really appreciate it.

Yikes:eek:....you would think front desk would have contacted you for permission to give out this info...or tell the interested party they would inform you how to get in touch with them.

Hmm might use this in the story I'm writing .... thanks:)

Archived