Wine boxes in suitcase?

crazy4cruisn

We also wrapped ours in bubble wrap before packing. No breakage.
But boxes don't have to break to leak ... just squeezed enough. At Port Everglades we once had a suitcase crushed to the point that the rail for the pull-up handle was bent so much that the handle would not come out at all. I'm sure that any wine boxes near that rail would have leaked. I think it's best to bring it in your carry-on ... which is allowed.

This reminds me of the story about the Irish Woman who made a trip back to the old sod and tried to smuggle a bottle past customs. The Customs officer said "Lady, what is in that bottle?" She replied "Tis Holy Water!" He opened the bottle and took a good belt and said: "Lady, this is Whiskey!" Not to be outdone the Irish woman responded "The Saints be praised--another miracle!"

Are you talking about a suitcase checked into a plane or into the ship? I did take a small box in a ziplock and checked the suitcase for a flight. No problem. I brought some limoncello from Sorrento home the same way. Things do happen though.

we have done this on every cruise we have taken with HAL. Depending on where we depart from and how much time we have, we either pack in checked bags for flight to port, or buy it near port and place in bag that morning.

We do as deserttraveler--place box in extra large ziplock, never had a problem. We also wrap the box in a towel inside ziploc bag, in case there are leaks. a hand towel size--not much weight and if it leaks a lot, it will be bad no matter what. Also--these are the 5 liter size boxes (had lots of people coming with us, one box in each bag. Even going into Canada)! A low probability there will be some kind of baggage accident, but it could happen. Place the wine box in the middle of the bag, with padding all around.

good luck

ML

we have done this on every cruise we have taken with HAL. Depending on where we depart from and how much time we have, we either pack in checked bags for flight to port, or buy it near port and place in bag that morning.

We do as deserttraveler--place box in extra large ziplock, never had a problem. We also wrap the box in a towel inside ziploc bag, in case there are leaks. a hand towel size--not much weight and if it leaks a lot, it will be bad no matter what. Also--these are the 5 liter size boxes (had lots of people coming with us, one box in each bag. Even going into Canada)! A low probability there will be some kind of baggage accident, but it could happen. Place the wine box in the middle of the bag, with padding all around.

good luck

ML

Just curious - could you explain the "even going into Canada" statement? Thanks.

Their boxes are decent table wine, nothing special, with several options in the 1.5 liter size (Americans entering Canada are allowed 1.5 liters of wine each). I got the pinot grigio and the shiraz after reading about them on some website. The cabernet is probably also decent, although letting it breathe a little in the glass is probably advisable.

desertt

you had it: "Americans entering Canada are allowed 1.5 liters of wine each"

The first time we went, hubby insisted on us declaring all we had ( I said let's just say we have 1 L). So, we wrote the amount on all the forms, even went to the counter to pay tax, but they waved us on! So, for the next cruise to alaska via canada, we said we each had 3 L (figured we could say we were dopey Americans and didn't know better (even tho' we do). declared 3L each, no comment or tax in vancouver.

so that is why I said even in Canada. Personally, I think canada doesn't care--they will take the money we spend at hotels, restaurants, bars, souvenirs, and call it close enough.

That's our experience, YMMV!!

good luck

ML

PS: bubble wrap is way overkill--just get the ziplocs, fits better, and doesn't take too much space! And, you will have weight for souvenirs on the way home!!

Target?? In some states the Targets do not have food/wine grocery sections. i.e. Connecticut so maybe GA. also. May also be due to laws for liquour, wine and beer purchases.

I have a friend who buys her wine at Target, a Super Target, so I know they sell wine if they have a grocery section.

Archived