Wine list

nowornever

If you have the prices, I'm sure it's ok to post.

I've seen the wine list for many of the lines posted including prices. On the RCI page, they even have a spreadsheet for the wine package detailing which wines are cheaper in the package vs. regular price.

I love previewing wine lists!

I've seen these on other boards too. Would really like to see Oceania's offerings as I'd like to do a little pre-cruise research. As Billy Joel said

"A bottle of white, a bottle of red

Perhaps a bottle of rose instead..."

Someone posted a list for 2008 it may help but prices may have changed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24663500@N07/?saved=1

We board on Sunday so will try to copy a current list

Lyn

Good luck with that, isn't the wine list ten or twelve pages long? :eek:

Suffice it to say that the list is extensive, but not particularly regional.

In other words, they don't bring on additional Greek wines if you are sailing the Aegean.

The prices are comparable to those in a good restaurant in a major U.S. city, with some extravagant choices and the occasional bargain thrown in.

Now, the type of person who chooses to drink in their stateroom to save a buck might choose to research this further, but otherwise, this really is a moot point as the corkage charge has cleverly been assessed at a price point to make the Oceania Cellars the only game in town. ;)

I will get Mikey to do it :D:D

Maybe just take some photos of them that should work;)

Lyn

I will get Mikey to do it :D:D

Maybe just take some photos of them that should work;)

Lyn

You're a very bad woman. :p

Or a very lucky woman.....:cool:

Or both! :D

I think it's both!

Say hi to Mike for us!

Now, the type of person who chooses to drink in their stateroom to save a buck might choose to research this further, but otherwise, this really is a moot point as the corkage charge has cleverly been assessed at a price point to make the Oceania Cellars the only game in town. ;)

My reason for previewing the list is not so much the price of their offerings but what they are offering.

I am still a wine novice and would like to do some pre-cruise research and tasting. I realize that what I am offered on board will likey be somewhat different than a list someone may have thoughtfully snapped some photos and can post but it would be indicitive of what to expect (and some enjoyble pre-cruise 'planning'.) As you say it would be a lot of photos though.

Your comment about the price setting is well taken. I brought a bottle I had purchased in Barcelona to the GDR to share with the table. The sommelier recognized my purchase as they had it on the previous list. The price I paid plus corkage was within a dollar or two of the price he recalled they sold it for on board.

What was the corkage fee in 2009?

Some fine restaurants charge a nominal fee ($10) if they do not have the wine while others have a straight fee $15-$25) . The most i have paid was $35 in NYC when I brought in a Lewis Chardonney-Napa 2006 that retailed at the time for $48-$56. On the westcoast wine lists that carried it the price I saw was $130 at Earnies in S.F.

What was the corkage fee in 2009?

Some fine restaurants charge a nominal fee ($10) if they do not have the wine while others have a straight fee $15-$25) . The most i have paid was $35 in NYC when I brought in a Lewis Chardonney-Napa 2006 that retailed at the time for $48-$56. On the westcoast wine lists that carried it the price I saw was $130 at Earnies in S.F.

I think the corkage charge has always been the same. I did a comparison some years ago, and Oceania's corkage was about in the middle of comparative restaurants.

The lowest was $3.00 charged by a small chain in the Los Angeles area and I had read that several New York locations were well over $100.00.....

Suffice it to say that the list is extensive, but not particularly regional.

In other words, they don't bring on additional Greek wines if you are sailing the Aegean.

The prices are comparable to those in a good restaurant in a major U.S. city, with some extravagant choices and the occasional bargain thrown in.

Corkage charge is not the point. selection is. We love Pinot Noirs, most lines have a very limited choice. and as you pointed out they do not often bring local wines onboard, we do and pay the corkage fee. Love to enjoy the wines on the list and the variety that we can add to the list.

I'm assuming that's why O is wine friendly and provides the option...

Thanks.

My reason for previewing the list is not so much the price of their offerings but what they are offering.

I am still a wine novice and would like to do some pre-cruise research and tasting. I realize that what I am offered on board will likey be somewhat different than a list someone may have thoughtfully snapped some photos and can post but it would be indicitive of what to expect (and some enjoyble pre-cruise 'planning'.) As you say it would be a lot of photos though.

Your comment about the price setting is well taken. I brought a bottle I had purchased in Barcelona to the GDR to share with the table. The sommelier recognized my purchase as they had it on the previous list. The price I paid plus corkage was within a dollar or two of the price he recalled they sold it for on board.

so O had the wine at a good price on an earlier cruise, you got to enjoy it on your cruise. That I believe is the reason O has the flexible wine policy and corkage fee.

Win, win.

I would love to see the wine list just to dream.

Thanks.

We often bring a few bottles of our "better more expensive" wines aboard and even with the corkage charge, it's a better deal. YoHoHo, since you are a wine novice, we suggest you practice a lot. Wine tastings are a good way to discover what you like. Also, we recently bought a red wine aerator which makes even the cheaper wines taste better.:)

so O had the wine at a good price on an earlier cruise, you got to enjoy it on your cruise. That I believe is the reason O has the flexible wine policy and corkage fee.

Win, win.

I would love to see the wine list just to dream.

Thanks.

Probably one problem with the wine list is its size. Not having counted the pages, I'd guess they number at least 20 or more. One heck of a job in trying to scan that volume.

And while I don't know exactly how often, I do know the list is reprinted often as new vintages are added and some of the slower labels are removed.

Have you called Oceania direct and asked them?

We often bring a few bottles of our "better more expensive" wines aboard and even with the corkage charge, it's a better deal. YoHoHo, since you are a wine novice, we suggest you practice a lot. Wine tastings are a good way to discover what you like. Also, we recently bought a red wine aerator which makes even the cheaper wines taste better.:)

Ah, yes - practice makes perfect!

Not to hijack this thread but good to hear from you cruzluvers. I know you've got a good eye, or is it nose, for wines. Hope all your planning is going well.

You can also ask the Wine Steward what they have that is not on the Wine List. There always seem to be a few bottles in small or limited quantities that do not make the wine list. The first time it happened, the Wine Steward actually offered and brought us about 6-7 bottles to choose from. I don't remember if there were any price breaks but it broadened an already good selection. We enjoyed that!

Not being a " Maven " on wines we followed what the Locals were drinking many years ago in Aix and were told that the No 1 drink on the Cote d'Azur in Summer are the local Rose's (no acute accent on this keyboard).

We have been hooked on them ever since and O provide Bandol Rose which is very easy to drink.....just pour it in.

In the UK I would expect to pay about £15 in a London Restaurant about $24 in Yanky money.

Brian

Considering weight to bring wine seems to be an issue and at ports i assume (not being a druiser until now) that if there are duty free shops their wine seletion in say tonago or Manaus will not have many CA or French wines that i even know about. Is that generally a correct assumtion?

We were on the Amazon 2 years ago & had an overight in Manaus, which I assume you will too if it's the same cruise. On the 2nd morning (Sunday I think), we took a taxi to the local mall & there is a very big & nice Carrefours with an excellent wine selection & very reasonably priced. It's a very nice mall AND air conditioned!!! There is a small Carrefours in the downtown area but poorly stocked.

• 1 month later...

How about the wine bazaars? One person reported no wine bazaar.

I guess what we had was a wine bazaar ..they have several bottles of wines discounted one evening along with other events in the Grand hall

along with scotch tastings, martini tastings etc

This was on our July /August cruises

Lyn

Does any one know if they still do the Wine Cellar Master package pricing? I saw it in a post from 2009.

How about the wine bazaars? One person reported no wine bazaar.

I guess what we had was a wine bazaar ..they have several bottles of wines discounted one evening along with other events in the Grand hall

along with scotch tastings, martini tastings etc

This was on our July /August cruises

Lyn

Last November and one the year before I saw no wine sales displays so it may be cruise dependant. I'll be keeping a sharp eye out in January!

Archived