which credit card is best to use?

jnv

This is our first cruise abroad, wondering what credit card/cards are best to use when making purchases, I was recently in the Bahamas and the credit card I used added an additional charge for out of country service - is there any cards that don't add an additional charge? thanks for any info.

Capital One and Schwab don't charge the extra fees to use them in foreign countries.

You should also have a ATM card to withdraw money. In Europe, we rarely use credit cards except for hotels and jewelry. Many places just take cash.

After 12 years of traveling around the world, my husband finally let me get a Capitol One card to avoid the fees for conversion. We are not shoppers and only use for hotels, car rentals, etc, or a meal now and then; therefore, it isn't really going to save us much, but it was the principal of the thing :rolleyes:.

No matter what you take, get another card and keep it in safe for emergencies - mugged, card canceled, etc. You will not regret it. Don't forget to call your credit card companies and tell them what countries you will be using the card, and what time period. Nothing is more upsetting than them thinking it is stolen and canceling it for your safety - and they can't reach you because you are not at home!:cool:

Capitol One Visa is a good call for a credit card.

Be informed that your bank ATM likely will assess conversion fees, too. (Tho my credit union only gets 1%)

If you have Discover, leave it home. There is no Discover in Europe and American Express is not widely accepted.

If you have Discover, leave it home. There is no Discover in Europe and American Express is not widely accepted.

Funny, I had this conversation with Discover just last month. My DH demagnatized all his cards so while i was calling them all for replacements, I was setting up PIN numbers. When I was talking to them I commented on not being able to use their card out of the country. The agent told me that Discover had bought Diners Club so anywhere that they accepted DC they would accept Discover. She then went on to say that they were starting to accept Discover is some other countries for this reason and said to give it a try on my next trip. I think I'm going to try, just to see.

I have used the Schwab card all over europe without any problem. I just opened a bank account at Schwab and the ATM card they give you looks like a charge card but it is really a debit card. I use it at stores, restaurants, hotels, ATM's etc. NO PROBLEM, NO FEES

Also may be a good idea to take 2 ATM cards and 2 VISAs (from different banks/credit unions). I've had different friends have a hold placed on their cards while overseas even after notifying the issuer they'd be gone. I always keep one full set of both in the safe at all times so there is always a fallback if one gets lost/stolen, etc. to use while you are straightening out the problem.

BTW, if you belong to a credit union, that may be a good backup set since as posted above, they usually only charge 1% conversion fee which isn't that bad.

Also may be a good idea to take 2 ATM cards and 2 VISAs (from different banks/credit unions). I've had different friends have a hold placed on their cards while overseas even after notifying the issuer they'd be gone. I always keep one full set of both in the safe at all times so there is always a fallback if one gets lost/stolen, etc. to use while you are straightening out the problem.

BTW, if you belong to a credit union, that may be a good backup set since as posted above, they usually only charge 1% conversion fee which isn't that bad.

You are correct. You always want to have multiple cards.

Also in addition to getting with the banks ahead of time to give them the specifics on your itinerary it's a good idea to write down the contact telephone numbers for the banks for calling them outside the USA should your cards be lost, stolen or there is a problem with the ATM machine.

Keith

I will also pile on my recommendation for Capital One. Also, in case it has not been mentioned, you should always call your card provider before traveling abroad to alert them you plan on using it in other countries (otherwise the transaction may be declined as fraudulent).

Bon Voyage!

Capital One (no foreign exchange fees)... but make sure to tell them where/when you'll be travelling, and make sure it's a Rewards card (as long as you plan on paying off the balance in full).

Their rewards are not as rich as my domestic cards (1-5% in cash), but I've still gotten a few $25 gift cards from them, so that's a nice perk when added to paying no International Service Assessment.

I agree that it's wise to have several credit and debit cards, on several different accounts.

We often negotiate discounts for cash in Italian hotels once the room rate has been established. This discount exceeds any ATM/conversion costs. Just another way to save a little money on vacation. Don't be shy to negotiate...many people do.

Archived