Hosted Tables

MARIANH

Duos will be at the same table, but not next to each other.

Great ideas about hosting your own themed tables. May try that sometime.

Some tables have been lots of fun, others, not so much. As for sitting with the captain, only if you are in one of the most expensive units or have lots and lots of days with SB.

Our personal experience is that we didn't fit this description.

We sat with the Captain on our second Seabourn Cruise. It was definitely not because of the price of the cabin nor the number of days with Seabourn nor that we asked (because we didn't). We had a wonderful time that evening.

Keith

Our personal experience is that we didn't fit this description.

We sat with the Captain on our second Seabourn Cruise. It was definitely not because of the price of the cabin nor the number of days with Seabourn nor that we asked (because we didn't). We had a wonderful time that evening.

Keith

You were the exception then. It was certainly the comment among cruisers who have even more SB time than we do. We have received several invitations to seat with the onboard lecturers, an officer (can't remember which) and a guest pianist. We enjoyed all the hosts and the conversations. The only downsides were a couple of guests who enjoyed hearing themselves talk and who knew more about the pianist's repertoire than she did.

You were the exception then. It was certainly the comment among cruisers who have even more SB time than we do. We have received several invitations to seat with the onboard lecturers, an officer (can't remember which) and a guest pianist. We enjoyed all the hosts and the conversations. The only downsides were a couple of guests who enjoyed hearing themselves talking and who knew more about the pianist's repertoire than she did.

I am also the exception I guess...

Host Dan

This "no invitations" thread is strange ~~ is this happening on all Seabourn vessels or just the 2 larger ships? I've been sailing Seabourn for 10 years and have always received dinner invitations on each/every voyage~~ some I accept and some I decline. I actually prefer to host my own dinner tables ~~enjoying a smaller group of ship friends.

Seabourn needs to look into this "mystery of the NO invitations":confused:

(HotMen and Maitre'Ds decide on hosted table invites ~Captains usually look over the manifest as to their dinner guests)

Hopefully Miami will read the thread and problems will be resolved soon.:p

Martita B

Sorry for this newbie question, but I'm trying to figure out the seating protocol. For the two of us, the choice is obviously either to 1) sit by ourselves at a 2-person table, or 2) or to join others. For the latter, does it require asking to be in a "hosted table" in advance? Or does the maitre d' randomly assign people to dine together?

Sorry for this newbie question, but I'm trying to figure out the seating protocol. For the two of us, the choice is obviously either to 1) sit by ourselves at a 2-person table, or 2) or to join others. For the latter, does it require asking to be in a "hosted table" in advance? Or does the maitre d' randomly assign people to dine together?

If you are asked to be at a hoeted table you will receive an invitation a vew days before and you will be asked to RSVP. The invitation will note who the host is and the time. When you arrived the seats will be assigned with placecards showing where you seat. If you are a couple then normally each person will not be placed next to each other so as to increase conversation with others. In our case, we were invited every few days. Obviously from this thread that varies.

On other nights you can make arrangements with friends to dine together or you can dine by yourself or you can just spontaneously dine with others.

Keith

>"If you are asked to be at a hoeted table you will receive an invitation a Few days before and you will be asked to RSVP."

I have never received the invitation any earlier than the night before. Mostly it's the morning of the dinner and rarely, in the afternoon. When sailing alone, I am always included, however when I sailed with my partner, it was rare. But on some evenings, we asked to be included if someone decilned. That worked well. I think it's more of a factor on the big sisters.

At last, a chink of light shed on the process - thankyou.

Now why could no one in Seabourn tell me this. It would have saved a lot of nugatory effort.

Our experience is that when you enter the MDR the maire d' may ask you if you wish to join others. Conversely, you can ask him if the opportunity to join others exists, which we often do. That's clearly quite different from joining a formal hosted table. The advantage of the hosted table would appear to be that you are automatically plopped into a situation with six of eight strangers so the task of meeting new people is simplified. Even gregarious Americans can't charge around one of the bars pre-dinner, asking the kinds of questions that might reveal a sympatico personality. Being placed at a hosted table would seem to virtually mandate conversation, and is a way to overcome shyness or frosty social reserve. Since we've never been to a hosted table, this is a surmise.

Well, if you have more than 200 days on SB and happen to be the CC Host, you might qualify as a VIP guest. Just reporting my observations and those of many others.

I wasn't a cc host, nor did I have even near 200 days when I began being asked to sit at Captain's table FYI.

Host Dan

I wasn't a cc host, nor did I have even near 200 days when I began being asked to sit at Captain's table FYI.

Host Dan

We have always had that same experience. Usually we have an invite almost every night..and...have always been at the Captain's table..and usually the HM's. I don't know the criteria...from what it sounds like on the board..it is actually the luck of the draw. We generally turn down at least 2 or 3 invites...but have filled in for them with late withdrawals as well. We asked one time at the desk how it was done..and were told that they did it at the desk..which does not go along with what I have read on this thread. At any rate..I would simply ask for invites if they were not forthcoming..as it really can be a nice time. Yes, we have had no memorable times..but for the most part...they have enhanced the trip. Lola

There are many interesting exchanges on this thread that suggest lack of clarity and consistency vis a vis invitations. Seabourn UK can offer no explanation of policy. Perhaps Seabourn in Miami can help. Can anyone in the US kindly enquire for us and share the response?

Last week on the Legend, the Maitre d' approached us on the second night of the cruise and asked if we would be interested in sitting at any hosted tables. We said, "Sure," and we were invited to one hosted table. The invitation was placed in our door the day of the meal in the early morning with the daily US/UK news flyers.

johnny

We have always had that same experience. Usually we have an invite almost every night..and...have always been at the Captain's table..and usually the HM's. I don't know the criteria...from what it sounds like on the board..it is actually the luck of the draw. We generally turn down at least 2 or 3 invites...but have filled in for them with late withdrawals as well. We asked one time at the desk how it was done..and were told that they did it at the desk..which does not go along with what I have read on this thread. At any rate..I would simply ask for invites if they were not forthcoming..as it really can be a nice time. Yes, we have had no memorable times..but for the most part...they have enhanced the trip. Lola

It can't be "luck of the draw" as you clearly have had many times the number of invitations than is common. One can only presume that you have beguiled host after host, and thus the steam of invitations persists. (That's about as gallant as I get.)

A la Marianh's suggestion, called SB in Florida. Guest Services transferred me to Sales. A pause after I asked the obvious question. Here's the response: Once you have a booking number, you can call Sabourn and request to dine with a ship's officer or other on board luminary. You can also tell the maitre d' that you wish to be placed on such a list. (I wonder if certain TA's attach a note to the reservations of their clients asking for such invitations to be proffered?)

In truth, this doesn't entirely solve the mystery of why some SBers get multiple invites, and others none. But it does suggest a way, at least in the U.S., to get on the list.

It can't be "luck of the draw" as you clearly have had many times the number of invitations than is common. One can only presume that you have beguiled host after host, and thus the steam of invitations persists. (That's about as gallant as I get.)

A la Marianh's suggestion, called SB in Florida. Guest Services transferred me to Sales. A pause after I asked the obvious question. Here's the response: Once you have a booking number, you can call Sabourn and request to dine with a ship's officer or other on board luminary. You can also tell the maitre d' that you wish to be placed on such a list. (I wonder if certain TA's attach a note to the reservations of their clients asking for such invitations to be proffered?)

In truth, this doesn't entirely solve the mystery of why some SBers get multiple invites, and others none. But it does suggest a way, at least in the U.S., to get on the list.

Thank you Watson - excellent sleuthing! However, the multiple invitations ( or no invitations) mystery remains unresolved. I await developments - should there be any. In the meantime I am considering changing a consonant in my forename viz substituting D for I. In this way I will become Dan rather than Ian. The theory being this might generate a flurry of invitations. ;)

Thank you Watson - excellent sleuthing! However, the multiple invitations ( or no invitations) mystery remains unresolved. I await developments - should there be any. In the meantime I am considering changing a consonant in my forename viz substituting D for I. In this way I will become Dan rather than Ian. The theory being this might generate a flurry of invitations. ;)

With an older sister that was bourn just outside of London and a younger sister that currently lives in Devizes (sp?) ... I am not sure that I would welcome multiple dinner invitations. I don't want to be placed in a corner and ignored ... but nightly? Too much stress!

May I suggest, somewhat timidly, that the evidence, while scant, suggests the opposite? We might deduce this from: both LaPaloma and JaneBP seem to attract scads of invites. Although your musing does clear up my confusion, re Irene Adler. Personally, I am contemplating the purchase of a brunette wig in pageboy style. Then let's see who gets the most invites...

With an older sister that was bourn just outside of London and a younger sister that currently lives in Devizes (sp?) ... I am not sure that I would welcome multiple dinner invitations. I don't want to be placed in a corner and ignored ... but nightly? Too much stress!

Spelling spot on. Wiltshire's hidden gem - the town that is. The point about invitations is you are free to turn them down if you wish. If you never get any there is no choice ( unless you are pro active as this thread is now suggesting).

I have found invariably that our American cousins make excellent table companions ( brash or not). We have so much in common , yet we are different in many ways. This often leads to fascinating discussions and I have never seen anyone ignored or their views not respected. Personally I find the experience exhilerating rather than stressful. However chacun a son gout.

Jane, maybe they have changed but we received our invitations earlier than that

Keith

I have over 250 days on both the Legend and Pride (with 12 on the 'O') and have never received an invite earlier than the evening before. But then, I often travel alone, so perhaps they know I am a 'sure thing'?

The only time I ever had a less than delightful time was the one hosted table with me, a staff captain, and 8 German cruisers all of whom knew each other. Tough to follow those discussions, but I did get 'credit' for having lived in Germany years ago!

Perhaps having numerous sailing days on Seabourn and the Maitre'D reconizing your name when he scans the Guest manifest ~(also knows your dining room seating preference) ~is another answer to the mystery of the "invitations list."

In the past, on the smaller ships, most Guests received nightly dining invitations unless the Guests requested 'no invitations' at the Purser Desk.

Hopefully the problem will be sorted out soon!

MB

I have just been struck by the blindingly obvious!

If you are a contributor to Cruise Critic Boards and this fact AND your identity is known by the ships movers and shakers, you may well get included on the "preferred" invitees list. Elementary?

Spelling spot on. Wiltshire's hidden gem - the town that is. The point about invitations is you are free to turn them down if you wish. If you never get any there is no choice ( unless you are pro active as this thread is now suggesting).

I have found invariably that our American cousins make excellent table companions ( brash or not). We have so much in common , yet we are different in many ways. This often leads to fascinating discussions and I have never seen anyone ignored or their views not respected. Personally I find the experience exhilerating rather than stressful. However chacun a son gout.

This will be my first time that I have sailed as an adult on a luxury cruise line. As a child ... we traveled all over the world on cruise ships ... back when "Master" was my prefix. I am looking forward to joining other for dinner ... I like nothing better then to learn from others and share. I am amused by others and I am sure that they are amused by me! I personally think that it is the quality of luggage that you carry that will garner the most number of invites! "Oh, look Captain ... they are worthy of being next to you!" Quoted with a very large smile.

It would be good if everyone would not bitch about who and who does not get invited to 'tables'. Just say, when you get on board, or if you prefer to the Maitre'd on the first evening, we would/would not like to receive invitations to dine and are/are not willing to be last minute invitees if someone refuses. It is not really a big deal, IMO.

Archived