Hosted Tables

MARIANH

On our last 14 day cruise on Sojourn, we had not one invitation to a hosted table. A fellow passenger and his wife had 13 invitations! On our previous cruise on Odyssey we had some invitations.

Guest relations could offer no explanation , nor explain Seabourn policy in this matter.

I am not complaining. Rather just interested to know of others experience and if anyone is aware of Seabourn policy/ practice. Perhaps it is just a lottery or I have been " blackballed"!

Felt the same way, Marianh, on our Odyssey cruise last November. Not one invitation yet we were on the "Pirate" cruise plus three other Seabourn cruises! Complained to Seabourn Square mid cruise and got no response. Ran into Hotel Mgr. on last day of our cruise and told him the whole story and was told "you have to let "them" know you want invitations"!! I thought that was what we told them on our mid cruise survey. Bah!!. I told him it was our last cruise on Seabourn. We really felt ignored. So I know how you felt on the Sojourn. I am sticking to cruise lines who care about their past passengers.

But these invitations can really be a mixed bag. Sometimes it works out very well and you get to meet and go on to socialize with folks who you never would have met otherwise.

However, sometimes the host and many of the other invitees can be folks you have nothing in common with, and the conversation at the table goes nowhere. It can be a truly miserable experience.

We've seen it both ways.

On our last 14 day cruise on Sojourn, we had not one invitation to a hosted table. A fellow passenger and his wife had 13 invitations! On our previous cruise on Odyssey we had some invitations.

Guest relations could offer no explanation , nor explain Seabourn policy in this matter.

I am not complaining. Rather just interested to know of others experience and if anyone is aware of Seabourn policy/ practice. Perhaps it is just a lottery or I have been " blackballed"!

We've had the same experience--no invitations to hosted tables. I also note--unless I've totally lost our little Sherlockian thread--that all those posts have vanished. Anyway, Watson, I thought your suggested title was splendid!

It seems to me that perhaps on the larger ships, hosted tables can be more problematic, just by virtue of more passengers. I know that on the December cruise on the Odyssey, we called one night asking to be included if someone cancelled, and that worked. It is too bad they did not respond appropriately for you.

I think they must have mixed up our names - I'm afraid we asked right at the start not to be included in the list of possible invitees; we prefer to dine alone or with others we have met and get on with. It is easier for everyone if you do not wish to be invited to say so at the start of the cruise. However, I am surprised that some did not get a single invitation on a 14 night cruise. I did note that on the last evening the CD had a large table entirely composed of Brits, who were very raucous. (We didn't mind as we are also Brits, but it might have upset people at the nearby tables!)

I think they must have mixed up our names - I'm afraid we asked right at the start not to be included in the list of possible invitees; we prefer to dine alone or with others we have met and get on with. It is easier for everyone if you do not wish to be invited to say so at the start of the cruise. However, I am surprised that some did not get a single invitation on a 14 night cruise. I did note that on the last evening the CD had a large table entirely composed of Brits, who were very raucous. (We didn't mind as we are also Brits, but it might have upset people at the nearby tables!)

Perhaps it would be helpful to passengers and Seabourn if we were offered an opportunity to " opt in" or "opt out" at the booking stage. Just for interest, I will try again to get a steer from Seabourn as to the policy and practice for invitations to hosted tables. If I get anywhere, I will report back. Maybe Dan who seems expert in matters Seabourn would be kind enough to comment.

Perhaps it would be helpful to passengers and Seabourn if we were offered an opportunity to " opt in" or "opt out" at the booking stage. Just for interest, I will try again to get a steer from Seabourn as to the policy and practice for invitations to hosted tables. If I get anywhere, I will report back. Maybe Dan who seems expert in matters Seabourn would be kind enough to comment.

Update - a ten minute telephone call to Seabourn HQ in Southampton yielded nothing - they did not know. Guest Services on board Sojourn also did not know when I asked. So the mystery deepens. Time to call in Sherlock Holmes?

The Hotel Manager my husband and I talked to about our lack of invitations to host tables was Gunter Steinbrunner and he was exceedingly gracious about the matter and seemed quite upset that we had been ignored especially since "we would have made the table conversation so interesting in view of the fact that we had been on the Spirit November 5, 2007". Well, thanks a lot but we were about to debark at that point!!

I gaurentee Host Dan had no such lack of invitations--he was on the same cruise.

Another galling fact about this "shunning" was that we had put our deposit down for the Odyssey cruise THREE years before! We were so excited about being on the new big sister.

I agree with the poster who said some of the tablemates could be a bore. Yes, but some were also very interesting. At least you had a chance to meet people.

Update - a ten minute telephone call to Seabourn HQ in Southampton yielded nothing - they did not know. Guest Services on board Sojourn also did not know when I asked. So the mystery deepens. Time to call in Sherlock Holmes?

It would be good to know the policy as we are going on Sojourn in September.

We have usually enjoyed the hosted tables on our prevoius cruises on the Spirit (3 on one week, 4 on another week) Only one occasion that someone was a bit awkward. Perhaps we were lucky :)

Admirable, my dear Dr! Idea: Perhaps you could host a table for Baker Street Irregulars at Sea, or others seeking stimulating conversation. (I am serious.) After all, many of us sail as couples (or singles) in hope of meeting interesting people with whom to interact. That is why, particularly early in the cruise, we ask to join others, or welcome others to our table. Sure, you can be saddled with a dreadful bore. But that meal will eventually end. And perhaps you will meet people whose company you really enjoy. So, open call for for Sojourn, December 10th, for anyone interested in Baltic mysteries--MarianH, you wouldn't also be known as Irene Adler?--or female German tourists, or the similarities and differences of life in the U.S. and UK--indeed, any subject except the devolving World Cup. First night, MDR, 8:00pm, table for 10--or fewer, as response dictates. Any takers?

I have no idea why some are offered to sit at hosted tables, while others are not. Personally, I have been very lucky to have been invited to many a hosted table. That said, as a guest with over 200 days on board, I have had the opportunity to meet and keep in touch with, many staff members.

Host Dan

Admirable, my dear Dr! Idea: Perhaps you could host a table for Baker Street Irregulars at Sea, or others seeking stimulating conversation. (I am serious.) After all, many of us sail as couples (or singles) in hope of meeting interesting people with whom to interact. That is why, particularly early in the cruise, we ask to join others, or welcome others to our table. Sure, you can be saddled with a dreadful bore. But that meal will eventually end. And perhaps you will meet people whose company you really enjoy. So, open call for for Sojourn, December 10th, for anyone interested in Baltic mysteries--MarianH, you wouldn't also be known as Irene Adler?--or female German tourists, or the similarities and differences of life in the U.S. and UK--indeed, any subject except the devolving World Cup. First night, MDR, 8:00pm, table for 10--or fewer, as response dictates. Any takers?

Although I have many of Irene's qualities viz wit, charm and generosity, sadly my chromosones would rule me out. However, I can be a prima donna at at times and some think me a little Bohemian - scandalous!

Seriously, your suggestion of a themed table or at least a table of like minds is a stunning idea. And I wish you well in such an enterprise. Unfortunately we will not have the privilege of joining you in December. But who knows what the future holds?

Regards

We enjoy the hosted tables and on our last cruise but one, were disappointed not to receive any invitations. On our next cruise, we let reception know that we would like to receive invitations and this worked out well.

If one is really interested in being invited to hosted tables I'm sure a personal letter to the hotman on the first day will do the trick, if a visit to the concierge desk does not. Personally, I avoid them like the plague. I usually find the conversation forced, you are separated from your spouse or partner and the pace of the dinner is slower. I can only see one advantage and that is not always the case....when the captain or hotman orders special wines.

Although I have many of Irene's qualities viz wit, charm and generosity, sadly my chromosones would rule me out. However, I can be a prima donna at at times and some think me a little Bohemian - scandalous!

Seriously, your suggestion of a themed table or at least a table of like minds is a stunning idea. And I wish you well in such an enterprise. Unfortunately we will not have the privilege of joining you in December. But who knows what the future holds?

Regards

Well, we could all meet under The Sign of the Four at a time and place to be named later. Do let us know what your travel plans are. And should you be heading to New York this summer--doesn't everyone want to enjoy 100F degree heat and smothering humidity--we can offer a rooftop terrace with an amazing view of the East River, complete with cooling breeze and a glass of the house plonk. callmrich1@aol.com

We enjoy the hosted tables and on our last cruise but one, were disappointed not to receive any invitations. On our next cruise, we let reception know that we would like to receive invitations and this worked out well.

Curiousx--and I am not going to explore the etymology of that sobriquet-- when you last enjoyed being at a hosted table was it as a duo, or were you separated? Wripro suggests that couples are always split asunder, but my impression from previous Seabourn trips is that is not always the case.

We have always, particularly on the smaller ships had invites to hosted tables.

This suddendly terminated on the Spirit last year. On chatting informally to one of the staff at the purcers desk ( Guest Relations ) she said we had requested not to have any more invitations- no such thing.

We said to her that this was not so. The next night we had an invitation which we could not accept as we were having dinner with some friends.

The following night one of the entertainers asked us for dinner. Went down to the purcers desk to 'accept'.

Went down to dinner and the hosted table was full and our names not on!

Went up to the purcers desk and they apologised and sent to our cabin a box of chocolates as an apology. Two nights later had another invitation-mega confusion as the table host Carla was not expecting us. Lot of confusion and apologies. Gave up in the end.Found also on the Odyssey, twice now,Purcers desk really quite dysfunctional re invitations. Other passengers had similar problems! It appears to be quite hit and miss.

Kind regards,

Tony

Curiousx--and I am not going to explore the etymology of that sobriquet-- when you last enjoyed being at a hosted table was it as a duo, or were you separated? Wripro suggests that couples are always split asunder, but my impression from previous Seabourn trips is that is not always the case.

Duos will be at the same table, but not next to each other.

Great ideas about hosting your own themed tables. May try that sometime.

Some tables have been lots of fun, others, not so much. As for sitting with the captain, only if you are in one of the most expensive units or have lots and lots of days with SB.

Well, we could all meet under The Sign of the Four at a time and place to be named later. Do let us know what your travel plans are. And should you be heading to New York this summer--doesn't everyone want to enjoy 100F degree heat and smothering humidity--we can offer a rooftop terrace with an amazing view of the East River, complete with cooling breeze and a glass of the house plonk. callmrich1@aol.com

We will also be in the Caribbean in December -but wait for it- on Silversea! We have not jumped ship - more a case of right itinerary at the right time and the right price. Dr Watson has investigated our two itineries and reports that our ships will not pass in the night ( nor the day for that matter!). However we hope to be back on Seabourn in 2011 if our UK Government has not hijacked all my funds.

We have fond memories of sipping wine on the terrace of New York's Library Hotel a while ago, so it is with regret I have to turn down your kind invitation. We will be in the Vendee region of France.

But back to topic, I should be very interested to hear if your great idea of a " self help" hosted themed/ like minds table comes to fruition on your December Sojourn cruise. In this way we may be able to call off Holmes investigation of the Mystery of the Seabourn phantom invitations!

We've been on SB 12 times, 9 of them on the Pride.

We learned very early to let it be known via the maitre'd that you'd like to join hosted tables every few days. The maitre'd or one of the assistants schedules most of the hosted tables. Usually, the HM schedules his table, as well as the Captains, which usually occur every 4 nights.

You can also inform the maitre'd that you are welcome to be a late addition to a table to replace invited "regrets". You'll get a call about 6ish, and, you can accept or refuse.

Just ask!!! if that's what you'd like!

We've been on SB 12 times, 9 of them on the Pride.

We learned very early to let it be known via the maitre'd that you'd like to join hosted tables every few days. The maitre'd or one of the assistants schedules most of the hosted tables. Usually, the HM schedules his table, as well as the Captains, which usually occur every 4 nights.

You can also inform the maitre'd that you are welcome to be a late addition to a table to replace invited "regrets". You'll get a call about 6ish, and, you can accept or refuse.

Just ask!!! if that's what you'd like!

At last, a chink of light shed on the process - thankyou.

Now why could no one in Seabourn tell me this. It would have saved a lot of nugatory effort.

At last, a chink of light shed on the process - thankyou.

Now why could no one in Seabourn tell me this. It would have saved a lot of nugatory effort.

The A Train, thank you from here as well. (If you are not from New York, or your nickname isn't Duke, Blimey!) Marianh, we might yet connect. We have a little place in Aventura that we use in the winter and as a launch pad for cruises from Port Everglades. So, if you are in the Miami area between December 2 and 9, we might still meet for a drink. If you don't know Miami well, I would be pleased to suggest a couple of outdoor dining places where you can observe the famous Miami Skeeters--mosquitoes the size of humming birds.Nugatory? Well, (sniff) if you prefer France to the delights of the East River. .. Nugatory?

We were at the same table but not seated side by side. Some couples were seated side by side but it was normally by special request and related to one person's infirmity.

Archived